Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

RBA Starblade posted:

Newt as well, but the movie goes out of its way to say "hey, some of humanity is worshiping the Kaiju and calling them divine" (or instruments of the divine, I forget which exactly), remember? They had a temple made out of their bones and everything.

They also make a point to show that once the Jaegers started to keep the Kaiju under control, that Kaiju had become subjects of pop culture, toys, TV shows, etc. and that their existence had become a form of entertainment. Kaiju shows up, you cheer on your favourite Jaeger beating it up (live on TV), and you buy the action figure and trading cards next month.

However once the Jaeger program began to falter it probably went out of style very fast, unless you're a huge nerd with no self-awareness like Newt. I assume that the apocalypse cults started to appear around that time as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Horyd
Jul 17, 2001

REDHEADS WILL BE MY DOWNFALL!
It's a bit late to the discussion, but the seeming contradiction of genetically identical tissue across different kaiju and the presence of a kaiju fetus could be resolved if the Masters engineered parthenogenesis into their creations, either as a source of new "basic frames" on which to extrude whatever modifications they see fit, or as a ready source of stem cells from which they could culture up a new batch of muscle strands or whatnot.

I'm glad I took my dad to go see this film today, both because I want to do my small part to support the all-too-rare original narrative, and also to help assuage the certain heartbreak when my Amazon order arrives tomorrow.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

One thing I'd be interested to see is a Jaeger go into a fight against Peace Walker. Or even Peace Walker to fight a Kaiju.

Pretty sure Peace Walker would lose to both of them, though.

edit: Actually, I think she could hold her own quite well, with her ability to jump around like that, she can be pretty agile.

Neurion fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 22, 2013

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

dylan14 posted:

Should I even bother opening my Heroclix package I got ? I'm tempted to open it but I don't want to get screwed because I did so.

Go ahead and open it; you paid for 24 of them, the fact that they didn't send you the other 23 doesn't make the one you did get any less your property.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
So, I probably missed the explanation if there was one, but did they ever explain the exact mechanics behind kaiju blue? As in, it's pretty much super poison that gushes out of a dead kaiju and contaminates the surrounding area, right? And they're okay with just killing them in the middle of the Pacific Ocean? Does kaiju blue dissolve in salt water or is poisoning the sea seen as an acceptable and preferable alternative to poisoning human cities?

And if kaiju blue is okay as long as you kill a kaiju with blunt objects (fists :black101:) so it doesn't leak as much (the reason for the Jaeger program, if I remember right), how does this jive with Hannibal Chau's crew salvaging Otachi? From what I remember of that scene, there were people literally scooping out kaiju guts with their bare hands and they seem very unconcerned about toxic goop, when Ootachi was bisected by a freaking sword and thus if it had any kaiju blue inside it, it was most certainly strewn all over Hong Kong by that point and the corpse would certainly not have been safe to handle.

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

So, I probably missed the explanation if there was one, but did they ever explain the exact mechanics behind kaiju blue? As in, it's pretty much super poison that gushes out of a dead kaiju and contaminates the surrounding area, right? And they're okay with just killing them in the middle of the Pacific Ocean? Does kaiju blue dissolve in salt water or is poisoning the sea seen as an acceptable and preferable alternative to poisoning human cities?

And if kaiju blue is okay as long as you kill a kaiju with blunt objects (fists :black101:) so it doesn't leak as much (the reason for the Jaeger program, if I remember right), how does this jive with Hannibal Chau's crew salvaging Otachi? From what I remember of that scene, there were people literally scooping out kaiju guts with their bare hands and they seem very unconcerned about toxic goop, when Ootachi was bisected by a freaking sword and thus if it had any kaiju blue inside it, it was most certainly strewn all over Hong Kong by that point and the corpse would certainly not have been safe to handle.

I think they've explained that it's basically ammonia based.

Though honestly even if it was made of super uranium you couldn't really contaminate the entire pacific ocean to dangerous levels. There's just so much water to dilute it all.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Just got back from seeing the film again today, I think there were as many or more in this showing as there were in the one I went to last week.

They also had a little "behind the scenes" bit talking about how they built the control room set and what the actors went through while in it. They really are being thrown around in that thing.

Also, ENGAGE ROCKET ELBOW is still one of my favorite things ever.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

AnonSpore posted:

We can assume the people digging in it's guts with their bare hands were either too desperate for the pay, didn't live in an area where it mattered or was of much concern for some reason, or just didn't give a gently caress.

I don't remember if we're told the exact properties of kaiju blood, but spilling it in the ocean or near cities a bit seems to be preferable to the other alternative, which was nuking them. So we can assume that nuclear radiation is quite a bit worse than kaiju blood.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

jivjov posted:

Go ahead and open it; you paid for 24 of them, the fact that they didn't send you the other 23 doesn't make the one you did get any less your property.

You know, what probably happened was that the intent was to sell one unit rather than a box, and whoever (or whatever if an automated system did it) copy and pasted the description right from the box without realizing that it describes the box rather than the items inside the box.

So I imagine there's going to be a very confused merchant tomorrow when he/she gets in and looks in their inbox

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Stacker Pentecost mentions that Chau's black marketeers have some way of neutralizing the Kaiju Blue.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
There's a throwaway line about Chau's people neutralizing the acidic factor of Kaiju blood, so presumably somewhere along the line people realized exactly what was causing Kaiju Blue to be so toxic and took steps.

BattleMaster posted:

You know, what probably happened was that the intent was to sell one unit rather than a box, and whoever (or whatever if an automated system did it) copy and pasted the description right from the box without realizing that it describes the box rather than the items inside the box.

So I imagine there's going to be a very confused merchant tomorrow when he/she gets in and looks in their inbox

Yeah, but instead of cancelling the orders and sending out "Whoops, sorry, the listing was in error" messages, goHastings decided that the proper course of action would be to accept payment, fulfill the orders and ship out something that is not what is in the listing.

I posted before why this is utter bullshit; in physical retail, refusing to sell an item that's been priced wrong is fine, but once you accept money and let the customer walk out the door, you can't go back and take away part of their item/charge the customer the difference.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 22, 2013

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

jivjov posted:

Yeah, but instead of cancelling the orders and sending out "Whoops, sorry, the listing was in error" messages, goHastings decided that the proper course of action would be to accept payment, fulfill the orders and ship out something that is not what is in the listing.

I posted before why this is utter bullshit; in physical retail, refusing to sell an item that's been priced wrong is fine, but once you accept money and let the customer walk out the door, you can't go back and take away part of their item/charge the customer the difference.

And I'm saying that they probably didn't do it knowingly, because all they saw on their end was that there were orders for what they thought were single boosters.

I think you guys are looking way too hard for malice when it's clearly just a big goofup in the listing due to a canned item description gone awry.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

BattleMaster posted:

And I'm saying that they probably didn't do it knowingly, because all they saw on their end was that there were orders for what they thought were single boosters.

I think you guys are looking way too hard for malice when it's clearly just a big goofup in the listing due to a canned item description gone awry.

They still accepted money and shipped out items. I personally am fighting this until I have my 48-strong army of tiny jaegars and kaiju.

And it wasn't just the item description; the title of the listing called it a 24ct box, the auto-reply e-mail from gohastings (not amazon) called it a 24ct box.

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011
I'm pretty sure every customer protection law ever is on your side.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
How about a little more of the expanded Universe?

A trip on the Jaeger Graveyard:

Matador Fury :cry:

Gipsy Danger's stats:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Super.Jesus posted:

I'm pretty sure every customer protection law ever is on your side.

The issue is Amazon's claim process for orders from other merchants only offers refunds, not replacements/actually shipping the proper item. So if goHastings refuses to honor the listing, then going through Amazon is just going to get me my money back. I'd rather not have to make a legal case out of it, because even though I really want the figures, paying my lawyer a shitton of money for $15 worth of plastic is pretty crazy.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
On a scale of 1-10 how fascist is the global program to eradicate smallpox?

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Saw this again last night in IMAX 3D, ( I saw 2d normal the first go round) and loved it just as much. Arguably more, the fights were far better in 3D Imax, and I'm not that high on 3D. The opening battle was cool but nothing special my first go round, the IMAX made it loving amazing.

There was like 10 people total in the theater :(

My girlfriend also came up with a theory as to why Mako and Beckett are able to pass through the breach at the end. Slattern was still in the throat, they disengage from him but you never see his carcass float down with Gipsy. So he's still technically there.

I also noticed this go round that the reason Mako loses her oxygen was because she was the holding the sword in Slattern and it tired her out. I feel dumb not catching that the first time, and it made me hate her ending a little less, because now the reason she needed rescue made slightly more sense, and it made her less useless. It still could have been handled far more effectively though.

I also came away liking the main character a lot more. He's too monotone at times, but the dialouge and script felt like the problem this time around, not him. Some of the dialouge is godawful and the actors did their best, from what I can tell. Outside the "lunch in front of Gipsy" scene between Mako and Raleigh. That scene is so, so bad. The writing in this film is cheesy bad, sometimes in a good way, sometimes in a really bad way.

I still wish Slattern had been a little bigger. You can't get a good sense of scale in the murky depths of that scene.

Typhoon still deserved better. Cherno still deserved better. We needed a scene of how badass those two were, maybe stock footage, before they get knocked up. Also, if we got treated to a short scene of them kicking rear end a la Striker's Sydney beatdown, it would make how quickly they get annihilated that much more effective at establishing how dangerous Otachi and Leatherback were. Alas.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

jivjov posted:

The issue is Amazon's claim process for orders from other merchants only offers refunds, not replacements/actually shipping the proper item. So if goHastings refuses to honor the listing, then going through Amazon is just going to get me my money back. I'd rather not have to make a legal case out of it, because even though I really want the figures, paying my lawyer a shitton of money for $60 worth of plastic is pretty crazy.

Fixed it, but yeah.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Just saw this on Imax 3D for the first time in Manhattan. There were maybe 30 people in the theater, but still we were all applauding and treating it like an opening night. What an amazingly fun film.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

I don't know myself, but let me take this opportunity to segway into newlywed team Russia posing with a toy Cherno Alpha.

Image not to scale the actor of the husband is 6'10 :colbert:

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I have a question about literally the very last scene of the film.

When Mako's capsule opened, there was this green stuff under it. When she opens Raleigh's, there wasn't. What's this green stuff? Why isn't there any under Raleigh's?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I like how clever the film is in several places if you pay attention to little details. For example, during the council scene, the little guy next to Not-Romney who says "you have your orders" or whatnot backing up the US is the Canadian prime minister. In the same scene, it looks like the Japanese delegate is absolutely distraught about no more robots.

I listened for it in my second trip and I'm sure now that the phrase is "torque engaged" and not "boat deployed". Welp.

I also noticed that the first time Raleigh and Mako enter the drift you can hear Raleigh yelling "listen only to me!" a few times. Was she prescient of the imminent failure?

EDIT:^^^^^^^^^^

toanoradian posted:

When Mako's capsule opened, there was this green stuff under it. When she opens Raleigh's, there wasn't. What's this green stuff? Why isn't there any under Raleigh's?

I think it was supposed to help any searching helicopters find the pods, since the ocean is a big place and a huge streak of green ink would make the job much easier. Raleigh's was probably busted.

I think the question of how the Kaiju measured up to previous monsters and the Jaegers wasn't very obvious but it was there in certain shots. Otachi is the "smaller" of the cat 4 pair because Leatherback is a big, gorilla shaped bruiser and Otachi is a spindly lizard. Once Gypsy Danger confronts it though, we can see that it's actually taller than GD when it rears up and is wider at the shoulders too. Once Slattern shows up, it's hard to tell exactly how much bigger it is right away, but there is a subsequent shot after it gets knifed in the shoulder where it's standing on all fours and ready to charge Striker Eureka. There you can tell it's easily as much bigger than Striker Eureka as a horse is to a man. If bigger categories start showing up the current Jaigers would be dwarfed.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 22, 2013

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

toanoradian posted:

It's a marker signal thingy. Helicopters flying overhead see the big mass of green, they know where you are.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

toanoradian posted:

It's sea dye marker for lifeboats, which is meant to spread out over the water and make you more visible to planes and helicopters flying over to look for you. No idea why Raleigh's didn't deploy, maybe it was a malfunction the same way it didn't detect his vital signs.

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013
^^^

toanoradian posted:

It's to help rescue crews locate the pods. I think it's real because I swear I've seen it before.

Also Raliegh's pod didn't open all way, so it didn't deploy, I guess

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

toanoradian posted:

You mean in the water? Pretty sure that was just dye so they'd be more visible to aircraft/helicopters..

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raliegh's pod also wasn't properly detecting his life signs. It was busted.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Miltank posted:

On a scale of 1-10 how fascist is the global program to eradicate smallpox?

10/10. If I've learned anything from this thread its that every single thing on earth is fascist.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Yeah, Sea Dye is cool stuff. I've seen it in person and it's a wonderful green. Really useful in search and rescue operations. It's been around since at least the 70s.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Jonny Angel posted:

Hey SuperMechaGodzilla, I've loved your insights in this thread but wanna ask you to unpack some of what you meant when you proposed an alternative version of this film wherein Jaegers and Kaijus work together to overthrow the systems that have placed the latter (and maybe the former, I dunno?) into subservient, abject states. It's a concept worth thinking about, but also one with some serious immediate problems that I'm interested to see how you or anyone else interested in such a film would address.

The main issue comes down to "How do you have strong action setpieces in a film like that without kneecapping its messages or otherwise bringing along problematic elements?" Since you're such a big fan of the Godzilla franchise, I trust your answer isn't just "shift the genre of the film away from an action focus", but what's gonna be the content of those big battels?

On the one hand, once you've got the Jaegers and Kaijus on the same team, it's hard to marshal a physical representation of the metaphorical forces they're fighting that poses a credible threat. You can easily have an exultant sort of climax wherein the Big Huge Fuckers are literally tearing apart a system, but that really has to be limited in scope to prevent an atmosphere of triumphalist bullying. And if we've got the larger, physically dominant underclasses beating the poo poo out of the comparatively small, physically weak, but hyper-intelligent and all-controlling order, does that raise issues of proximity to traditional bigoted representations of Jews and their evil Jewish media/finance control that we've gotta stop by beating up some Jews?

And if we're accepting the premises that (a) that triumphant climactic violence has to be minimized and (b) we have to have some action setpieces before the movie's climax, what do we do before then, as you see it? Do the Kaiju's masters have some other powerful physical representation of their force and neo-colonialist ideologies that they deploy to defend against the combined threat? Or do we have scenes where Jaegers are fighting the very Kaijus that they're trying to ultimately free? (Unfortunate potential implications of liberal tolerance rhetoric, "We want to include and accept this abject group, we really do, but they're just so violent and antagonistic that it can't work") I suppose you could have these scenes of combat largely occur before the realization of "We can help free the Kaijus" is relayed to the Jaeger pilots and command structure, but that might also run the risk of the audience cheering for battles we're later made to realize were pointless and needlessly destructive. Do we maybe want that?

Hopefully my references back to District 9, Terminator 2 and so-forth provide some indication.

Pacific Rim is basically a version of Aliens without a Ripley, wherein the colonial marines are lionized. In Aliens, the titular creatures are a dark mirror of the colonial marines (armored, weaponized but ultimately subservient and expendable) and the answer to their defeat lies inwards - in criticizing the society we ourselves are in, and which produces us. There's a reason the corporation in Alien and Aliens strives to capture the alien, and is Ripley's ultimate antagonist. It's because the corporation strives to become the aliens. Not intentionally, mind. It's just in that the free-market logic that drives Cyberdyne Systems produces the decidedly unfree Skynet future.

This is why I have no issue with Battle: Los Angeles. It's misread as jingoistic when it's actually harshly self-critical. The alien colonists are American too - and, on the flipside, the all-American heroes realize that they risk being mere drones, and are motivated to do better. That film has the imagery of the soldiers turning off their radios to be freer, and Pacific Rim does not.

Obviously this doesn't mean pacifism, and Ripley does need to beat some drones to get at the queen. But it's this acknowledgement that the aliens, though a threat, are not the real enemy that makes the difference. See District 9's presentation of the prawns as stupid and brutish. While the film does present them as inferior, it makes clear that they've been inferiorized by an oppressive system. It's this idea of inferiorization that's missing in the dismissal of the kaiju as mindless objects. The statement "that's just what they objectively are" can be applied to the 'prawn' aliens just the same.

As for putting the conflict onscreen, I'll refer back to Invasion of Astro-Monster, where the good monsters fight and chase away the geniunely evil Ghidorah who willingly assists in the colonization of Earth. In this specific film, do you think Stacker and others would give up their power so easily? As noted before, now that the conflict is over, these guys are just going to be looking for a new target. The defeat of the kaiju does not signal an end to all war. New conflicts are on the horizon, as the Real is only repressed, pushed back into its hole.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 22, 2013

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

Sorry if this was mentioned earlier (let me know if it actually was and I'll remove this post) but I didn't see it anywhere in the last 2 pages:

Pacific Rim 2 sequel confirmed in the works

edit: Also the artbook for this movie is pretty great, highly recommend it for anyone who highly enjoyed this movie and is into that kind of stuff, it has lots of info about the creation of this movie, along with lots of nice concept art.

As well, for those who haven't seen it, you should check out the featurette videos like this one, the conn-pods were actual, physical, 4-story high 40 ton sets that moved around. drat cool stuff.

BattleCake fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 22, 2013

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but are there any photos kicking around showing how Knifehead scaled up with Gipsy in the movie?

The Knifehead figure from NECA seems kind of shrimpy compared to the Gipsy figure, but I can't tell if they're just out of scale with each other or if that's actually accurate. Like, Knifehead just about comes up to Gipsy's chest-turbine.
The Gipsy and Crimson Typhoon figures seem to be roughly scaled right, at least based on this pic.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

toanoradian posted:

I figured that Raleigh's pod didn't release the dye as it was opened from the outside by Mako instead of disengaged from inside so it didn't automatically release, assumption that if someone uses the external release you've already been found.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
Saw it this afternoon, walked out of the theater at the end very happy. It was everything I wanted it to be and almost none of the stuff I didn't want it to be. I love Del Toro, I love Wayne Barlowe's creatures, and I love giant robots. These things were all present in abundance in this movie. But also, it was fun, engaging and optimistic. I thought it could have used some trimming, but I never found myself looking at my watch or wondering when it would wrap up. I would have happily watched another hour of Jaegers fighting Kaijus.

I was worried that I would not connect to the human characters but I ended up becoming fond of them all. Even the goofy scientists. I am totally cool with them hooking themselves up to a monster brain. Releigh threatened to be one of those bland lead guys I hate but he didn't do any of the usual bland guy stuff- he has flaws but he lacks the infuriating poo poo that makes impossible for me to enjoy so many action/thrillers these days. Hooray for no romance, we can watch any one of a zillion crappy movies for that. I have never been moved by Handsome Guy's quest to gently caress Hot Girl in any movie ever. I like to see relationships between men and women that are not primarily romantic. Lot of people have called that a prebubescent attitude, whatever. Most movie romances are awful and boring.

Maybe it's because Del Toro has built up so much good will in the past but whatever quibbles I have with this movie are easily ignored. I was thoroughly entertained by this movie, and will definitely try to see it in 3D before it's out of theaters.

Slate Action posted:

- The DVD/Blu-Ray release won't have many extras because "[the] DVD and Blu-Ray market is shrinking so we can't be as extravagant as we were with other discs in the past."

From way back but this makes me sad. I suspect this is a growing trend. With fewer people buying DVDs we're going to be seeing a lot fewer director/actor commentaries, extras, etc, all of my favorite things about owning DVDs. I don't download movies often, does anybody know if they package different audio tracks or behind the scenes stuff with them?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Jack Does Jihad posted:

I don't remember if we're told the exact properties of kaiju blood, but spilling it in the ocean or near cities a bit seems to be preferable to the other alternative, which was nuking them. So we can assume that nuclear radiation is quite a bit worse than kaiju blood.

In the prequel graphic novel, which was approved by GDT himself, it's strongly implied that prolonged direct contact to raw kaiju blue is extremely toxic and results in death if not cleaned off immediately. (Tendo's grandfather got soaked in it and died in a matter of minutes.)

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Hopefully my references back to District 9, Terminator 2 and so-forth provide some indication.

Pacific Rim is basically a version of Aliens without a Ripley, wherein the colonial marines are lionized. In Aliens, the titular creatures are a dark mirror of the colonial marines (armored, weaponized but ultimately subservient and expendable) and the answer to their defeat lies inwards - in criticizing the society we ourselves are in, and which produces us. There's a reason the corporation in Alien and Aliens strives to capture the alien, and is Ripley's ultimate antagonist. It's because the corporation strives to become the aliens. Not intentionally, mind. It's just in that the free-market logic that drives Cyberdyne Systems produces the decidedly unfree Skynet future.

This is why I have no issue with Battle: Los Angeles. It's misread as jingoistic when it's actually harshly self-critical. The alien colonists are American too - and, on the flipside, the all-American heroes realize that they risk being mere drones, and are motivated to do better. That film has the imagery of the soldiers turning off their radios to be freer, and Pacific Rim does not.

Obviously this doesn't mean pacifism, and Ripley does need to beat some drones to get at the queen. But it's this acknowledgement that the aliens, though a threat, are not the real enemy that makes the difference. See District 9's presentation of the prawns as stupid and brutish. While the film does present them as inferior, it makes clear that they've been inferiorized by an oppressive system. It's this idea of inferiorization that's missing in the dismissal of the kaiju as mindless objects. The statement "that's just what they objectively are" can be applied to the 'prawn' aliens just the same.

As for putting the conflict onscreen, I'll refer back to Invasion of Astro-Monster, where the good monsters fight and chase away the geniunely evil Ghidorah who willingly assists in the colonization of Earth. In this specific film, do you think Stacker and others would give up their power so easily? As noted before, now that the conflict is over, these guys are just going to be looking for a new target. The defeat of the kaiju does not signal an end to all war. New conflicts are on the horizon, as the Real is only repressed, pushed back into its hole.

If a potential sequel to this movie were to go in the alliance direction, would you think differently about this one? After all, the original Terminator and Godzilla movies featured unambiguous villains redeemed in later movies. (Not to challenge any of your analysis of this film alone, of course).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Binary Badger posted:

In the prequel graphic novel, which was approved by GDT himself, it's strongly implied that prolonged direct contact to raw kaiju blue is extremely toxic and results in death if not cleaned off immediately. (Tendo's grandfather got soaked in it and died in a matter of minutes.)

It looked like he only got spattered. Not drenched, just a few drops to the face. Makes it even worse.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

No, it cannot be applied to prawns because we know that it doesn't apply to prawns. I know you think that is the point but you are wrong. You are absolutely comparing apples to oranges when you try to compare Pacific Rim to a genre outside of family action/adventure and there is nothing inherently fascist about the action/adventure. The film doesn't represent kaiju as being stupid and brutish. Even more importantly it doesn't represent kaiju in the way that fascist propaganda would. You talk of how fascist heros are always simultaneously underdogs and Übermensch and you are right. You are forgetting however that fascists always portray their enemies in the same light. For this to be a fascist movie we would need to be told that the kaiju are bot weak and inferior, and formidable and bold. Instead, the kaiju are terrifyingly competent and utterly deadly enemies.

quote:

In this specific film, do you think Stacker and others would give up their power so easily? As noted before, now that the conflict is over, these guys are just going to be looking for a new target. The defeat of the kaiju does not signal an end to all war. New conflicts are on the horizon, as the Real is only repressed, pushed back into its hole.

Yeah Stacker was just trying to hold on to the jaeger program so he could be grand fuhrer of earth. That is why he personally went on a suicide mission and personally blew himself up in a nuclear blast. Do you think that princess Leia was just using the Rebel Alliance as puppets to gain control of the galaxy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So I built a Jaeger.

Name shamelessly stolen from some goon's username, but goddamn if it isn't appropriate.

• Locked thread