Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I didn't realize Humongoloid was actually retarded when he was giant. I feel like there was a line about that that I missed.

Although Dr. Entmann was based mostly on Marvel superhero Ant-Man (who also went through phases as Giant-Man, Goliath, and then small again as Yellowjacket), there was actually another size-changing superhero who got stupider as he grew larger.

Maul, a member of the Wildcats (a '90s X-Men ripoff team book that actually got really drat good later on) was super-strong but dumb as a giant, a brilliant scientist as a normal, skinny, nerdy guy, and a super-genius if he could decrease his mass further -- not by shrinking like Ant-Man or the Atom, but by turning into a wrinkly, wizened old man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx
My only real disappointment in the finale, other than it not being a full hour long, is that we had a dental torture scene, and The Monarch didn't ask Dr. Venture "Is it safe?" a few times.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Eh. Virtually every episode this season felt like a homerun, except this one.

It was a passable episode, but it didn't feel like a finale.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I didn't realize Humongoloid was actually retarded when he was giant. I feel like there was a line about that that I missed.
Huh I thought he just sounded and looked like Andre the Giant.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

I have a weird feeling that the status quo set up this episode might get completely tossed out in the next season premiere, too bad it's going to be a while.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

And yeah, it really felt like we were prepped to have something with that photo of his dad that Monarch found, or the Revenge Society popping up last episode, or Molotov/Brock OSI something-or-other. To me it feels very intentional, but ultimately dissatisfying.
Phantom Limb popped up once in a post-credit scene of the third season before his triumphant return in season 4, I don't know why you would have expected something better here.

I wonder if Dean's going to let go of the whole goth style now that Hank apparently put him in better spirits. Unless that is just temporary.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
The setup of the Monarch moving to his old home seems to...abrupt. It's all plot setup, without any real comedy payoff, in the end of the finale. In fact, this entire episode seemed to be about connections to the overaching plot of the series...which is kind of strange, all things considered.

Not a bad episode, just different.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

I gotta ask, how is it that Dr. Venture can survive something like being crushed by a giant disco ball and walk away? I mean, it's not like he's in excellent health or anything. Has all those years of facing mortal peril prepared him for dealing with situations like that or am I just arguing with cartoon logic here?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Hermetic posted:

My only real disappointment in the finale, other than it not being a full hour long, is that we had a dental torture scene, and The Monarch didn't ask Dr. Venture "Is it safe?" a few times.

They actually did have that joke but it was hidden. On that note here is the Monarchs list:

1. Hot Pokers (Iron) - eyes, groin...knees?
2. Bamboo Under the Fingernails (chopstick in kitchen drawer)
3. Wild Dogs. Maybe a pack of ill-tempered dogs? (Re-think)
4. Drive to bad neighborhood and scream racial epithets
5. Sodium Pentathol(make him admit he's a prick on camera)
6. Rack! (find Ren-fest costume from that stupid wedding)
7. Cut off Nose? (check Guild rulebook)
8. Marathon Man Dentist Drill (is it safe?)
9. 12 hours of deafening Faith Hill Music (make sure he hates it first)
10. The Bell! (Asian theme)
11. The Pear of Anguish (con-have to make a pear of anguish)
12. Foot Roasting (too slapstick?)
13. Exposure (maybe too time consuming)
14) Buried Alive (CON-don't get to watch him in torment)

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

bobkatt013 posted:

They did show that. He tried to help out OSI they just blew him off and caused him to cause more problems. Then when it came to the Ventures they just treated him like crap unless they needed him.

Which Rusty does to everyone.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

GD_American posted:

Eh. Virtually every episode this season felt like a homerun, except this one.

It was a passable episode, but it didn't feel like a finale.

I'm OK with season finales that aren't big huge spectacles, and are just kind of breather episodes that let the characters be themselves. Instead of the finales that setup a bunch of cliffhangers so we feel compelled to watch next season to find out what happens. Most of us will probably watch the next season anyway, so what's the point of leaving a bunch of unanswered questions?

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012

Slanderer posted:

The setup of the Monarch moving to his old home seems to...abrupt. It's all plot setup, without any real comedy payoff, in the end of the finale. In fact, this entire episode seemed to be about connections to the overaching plot of the series...which is kind of strange, all things considered.

Not a bad episode, just different.

It's a Mad Men joke. I don't think I can say any more without it being a spoiler, though.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mike Danger posted:

It's all in the name - Mongoloid used to be a term for people with Down syndrome. (I only picked up on this tonight myself.)
Knew that, assumed it was a lovely unPC name because he beat up Asian dudes or something.

...but I bet he's actually a Maul reference, apparently?

e: also, didn't they say at comiccon that the first episode of season 6 was going to be the "real finale"?

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 22, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Macrame_God posted:

I agree. I'd say that was the weakest of the season finales, but it was still fun. I guess my disappointment stems from how the previous episode set it up for being something bigger than what it turned out to be. I was expecting Phantom Limb and the rest of the Revenge Society to make an appearance, but no. It felt more like a mid-season episode.

Well... it pretty much is a mid-season episode. They just had the sense to make it Season 5 and Season 6 instead of trying to awkwardly make Season 4 and Season 4.5 like last time...

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Macrame_God posted:

I gotta ask, how is it that Dr. Venture can survive something like being crushed by a giant disco ball and walk away? I mean, it's not like he's in excellent health or anything. Has all those years of facing mortal peril prepared him for dealing with situations like that or am I just arguing with cartoon logic here?

In real life, there's actually almost nothing to them. They're hollow fiberglass or glass balls with a bunch of reflective glass facets glued onto them. I could easily see it just giving Doc a knock on the noggin as it breaks around him.

I was kinda chuckling at the ridiculously thick cable Shore Leave was cutting when I was watching the first time for that reason.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
There has got to be an archive somewhere of all of Pete White's fabulous outfits.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Mike Danger posted:

It's a Mad Men joke. I don't think I can say any more without it being a spoiler, though.

I thought that too, but at the same time...is that even possible? I mean, its been less than a month between the two.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Install Gentoo posted:

Well... it pretty much is a mid-season episode. They just had the sense to make it Season 5 and Season 6 instead of trying to awkwardly make Season 4 and Season 4.5 like last time...

True. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. Season five has been great. It just wasn't quite as finale-ish as I anticipated.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Macrame_God posted:

I agree. I'd say that was the weakest of the season finales, but it was still fun. I guess my disappointment stems from how the previous episode set it up for being something bigger than what it turned out to be. I was expecting Phantom Limb and the rest of the Revenge Society to make an appearance, but no. It felt more like a mid-season episode.

I attribute it to the fact that they're working on Season 6 at the same time. It's probably more like Season 5.5, writing/planning wise. There's a lot of set up for things that they definitely didn't have time to work out in one season.

axleblaze posted:

8. Marathon Man Dentist Drill (is it safe?)

NICE!

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I thought it was a nice conclusion. Maybe it's the fact I saw one of the writers said Season 6 would be the finale which lowered my expectations. So while this ending felt more like a mid season ending, I think it worked. It was a pretty good episode.

I had a feeling Gary was going back to the Monarch. Kinda sucks that he did, but well the Monarch and Henchmen showed they still cared about him. They are professional bad guys but they do care. Not to mention OSI did literally destroy his reason for wanting to stay good. Also the fact the Henchmen sided with Gary to take down the moppets, I'm not surprised. After all, he did make them what they were under him.

I did like that scene with the Monarch and Rusty. This isn't the first time Monarch sympathized with Rusty. If you guys remembered, in Tag Sale your it, he finally invades Rusty's home and he doesn't feel doing anything because life already hosed up Rusty. Of course then he gets attacked and decides to change his mind. :v:

I do like how badass Rusty really is. None of those tortures phased him at all.

Also some loose ends got wrapped up. The fact that Hank thinks being a highlander/clone is awesome just made it great.

The moment he said it's great to be a venture and Dean was :unsmith: made this episode worth it.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
For anyone who's curious, Col. Gentleman's line about beating up a guy with his thumbs is a reference to The Presidio, where Sean Connery beats up a man with his thumb. Here's a clip of the scene if you want to see it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Dka54jH9po . That is the best part of a middling to bad movie. I would call it obscure, but nothing on The Venture Brothers is obscure.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 22, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I hope Colonel Gentleman actually is William S Burroughs, the same way Red Mantle and Dragoon are Buddy Holly and The Big Bopper.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I loving loved the reference to Sabrina — Salem's voice actor is one of my favourite voice actors ever.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I wonder what the plan is for the show's end-game. It's been going on a while (even if you don't include the yawning gaps between seasons) and while it's still great, I wonder what they're working towards. It's a show about failure so it can't quite be happily ever after, but I wonder if the plan is for Rusty and co. to find some measure of peace/contentment or if it's up to Hank and Dean to avoid the mistakes of their elders.

On the less thematic level I wonder if there are any ongoing plots to really finish, or if everyone will just go from one misadventure to another until it ends.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
When did Gary get so good at starting uprisings?

I really like how Hank and Dean talked at the end of the episode. They barely interact in the later seasons and Hank so far is the only one to get Dean out of his slump.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
poo poo, next season is really the finale? I'm glad it's going to end before beating a dead horse like Simpsons, but I'm still incredibly sad to hear that it's leaving. Doc and Jackson better make something else after this show. Venture Brothers is honestly the only reason I watch AS anymore, outside of Toonami.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007
Not the series finale, just a finale in the sense that some of season 5's plotlines will wrap up in the season 6 premiere.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

With this show's turnaround there is no way the Monarch's old home was an on purpose Mad Men joke. That episode only aired like a month ago.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
So was it Action Man's wife who died from a stroke? I remember in the first season she was alive and I don't recall any mention of her death since then.

That was a really sweet ending, and I'm finding it both annoying and hilarious that they went nowhere with the photo of Rusty and the Monarch as kids. He has Rusty at his mercy and doesn't even bother mentioning it!

I keep laughing at "who the gently caress is Gary?" Just imagining what the whole thing looks like from the Monarch's perspective, Sergeant Hatred destroying his home and his cocoon while ranting about someone he's never heard of is just the funniest thing.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

2house2fly posted:

So was it Action Man's wife who died from a stroke? I remember in the first season she was alive and I don't recall any mention of her death since then.

Didn't Dr. Orpheus tell Action Man that he was going to die of a stroke in an earlier episode? Looks like it was just his wife.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

2house2fly posted:

That was a really sweet ending, and I'm finding it both annoying and hilarious that they went nowhere with the photo of Rusty and the Monarch as kids. He has Rusty at his mercy and doesn't even bother mentioning it!

I keep laughing at "who the gently caress is Gary?" Just imagining what the whole thing looks like from the Monarch's perspective, Sergeant Hatred destroying his home and his cocoon while ranting about someone he's never heard of is just the funniest thing.

Not only that but his wife is now on the Guild Council and his boss.

Zarimus
Jul 27, 2006

Macrame_God posted:

I gotta ask, how is it that Dr. Venture can survive something like being crushed by a giant disco ball and walk away?

We didn't see it crush him really, it could have struck him a glancing blow. It's all in the perspective of the shot, perhaps he was mostly behind it.

Still seems pretty cheap though. I get annoyed at a show that seems to be smugly messing with your expectations.

Lintwhite
Oct 15, 2007

I keep seeing people talking about how the show's central theme is failure but the guys said in a recent interview that that's not entirely how it is; it's mostly just about these people living their lives. And you can definitely see that in this episode. I know there is a lot of "failure" but there's a strangely uplifting note to it sometimes. It's not all cynicism. Sometimes good things happen, just like in real life.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
On the plus side the Revenge Society and the Moppet's can't spy on The Monarch as easily as before.

Edit: I'm surprised at how well Hank and Dean adapted to life with their godfathers.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jul 22, 2013

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
I think the real takeaway from this episode is that Henry Allen Venture is the best Venture bro.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Hank's responding to learning that he's a clone was so perfect. There's no other way that he could have reacted other than to be ecstatic.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Another great episode.

Well that's it then I guess, see you guys in 3 years.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

Hank's responding to learning that he's a clone was so perfect. There's no other way that he could have reacted other than to be ecstatic.
I wonder if he would still have reacted the same way had he realized that he wasn't immortal anymore?

M_E_G. ADI. K
Dec 11, 2006

The Nozzle posted:

Didn't Dr. Orpheus tell Action Man that he was going to die of a stroke in an earlier episode? Looks like it was just his wife.

Dr O described a manner of death after reading something in Action Man's mind; we just assumed it was how AM was going to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
This episode seemed just really weak for the season, I thought. Pacing seemed slow, and almost all the potential buildup of what happened last episode was ignored or dismissed. My disquiet seems to stem from The Venture Bros. bucking the status quo often, yet I see Vatred returning to be more aggressive and Gary going back to the Monarch as a return to it.