Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Saw 2 slashers this week. Don't Go In the House (1979) & Silent Night Bloody Night (1972), both were pretty good. DGITH was an unoriginal mix of better movies, with no real plot. But has a groovy sound track, good performances, and some nasty gore (including multiple deaths by flame thrower).

Silent Night, Bloody Night was a better movie. Similar to Black Christmas, but was filmed two years earlier. The film moves on at a brisk pace with lots of kills to keep things interesting, and the plot is fairly original. No relation to silent night deadly night, although both take place during Christmas.

(Also watched The Driller Killer, which was weird )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Green
Oct 29, 2004
It's people

DrVenkman posted:

It was rated R for 'Intensity'. Seriously that's a thing that they do. Curiously I'm interested to see how they rate it here in the UK.

The Conjuring's rated 15 in the UK. The full details won't be released until tuesday but it's probably for "intensity" as well, the BBFC take that stuff into account in a big way these days.

My favourite thing about the BBFC these days is how good they are at communication, even just tweeting them a question usually gets a (worthwhile) response pretty darn quick, you can even request any documentation from their archives and they can look it out for you.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
At the moment I am truthfully enjoying the American sequel to The Grudge. Is this something I should be concerned about?

It seems way better than the Gellar one.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I've said this before but Dead Silence was clearly a test run for Insidious. Insidious has the exact same pacing and hits the same scare beats at the same times. I appreciate Dead Silence only for the fact it allowed for a way better movie.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

DrVenkman posted:

I guess this belongs both here and in the Blu thread but Shout Factory have announced they are releasing Nightbreed: The Cabal Cut and also Darkman at the end of the year. I can't wait to see what they do for both because so far their presentations have been stellar.

It'd be great if they could locate Darkman's scene with the villain rolling around naked in money, which was cut due to test audiences finding it uncomfortable. Is there anything else to add, besides a nice, clean transfer?

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

weekly font posted:

I've said this before but Dead Silence was clearly a test run for Insidious. Insidious has the exact same pacing and hits the same scare beats at the same times. I appreciate Dead Silence only for the fact it allowed for a way better movie.

The zoom in on the town sign that became an overhead shot of the car driving down the road was awesome. Forgot almost everything else about the movie but that scene stayed with me.

SneakySneaks fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 21, 2013

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Young Freud posted:

Torso like has the best teaser trailer as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4drx1p2at2o

Wow this is just wow. TORSO TORSO TORSO. That is a great find.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Rosa Gallica posted:

The Conjuring discussion on the last few pages reminded me of something I've been meaning to ask: Does anyone in this thread have recommendations for good horror movies that are feminist-friendly or feature especially awesome female protagonists?

So it's sorta far from the specific subset that you appear to be interested in, in that it's a very tight parable about domestic abuse and examination of disempowerment rather than a film featuring a well-done badass female protagonist, but I loving love the first Paranormal Activity and would argue strenuously for its inclusion in a set of feminist horror films. Take a look at my post history in this thread and find the one where I talk about the feminist reading of the film. If that sounds like something that's worth showing at your thing, awesome. If you're more interested in films that offer positive situations than ones that critique negative ones, PA probably ought to get skipped.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

cuntvalet posted:

I dunno if other people here would agree with me but I definitely think in terms of strong female protagonists that are relatable because they're so different and from different walks of life, Silent Hill actually embodies that pretty well.

I think Teeth is pretty much what you're looking for, though it's a little blunt.

Also Excision.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Jonny Angel posted:

So it's sorta far from the specific subset that you appear to be interested in, in that it's a very tight parable about domestic abuse and examination of disempowerment rather than a film featuring a well-done badass female protagonist, but I loving love the first Paranormal Activity and would argue strenuously for its inclusion in a set of feminist horror films. Take a look at my post history in this thread and find the one where I talk about the feminist reading of the film. If that sounds like something that's worth showing at your thing, awesome. If you're more interested in films that offer positive situations than ones that critique negative ones, PA probably ought to get skipped.
That's a neat take on PA I've never seen before, I'll have to watch it again.

And on that note, Lucky McKee's The Woman takes a stab (no pun intended) at patriarchy. It's also in the same vein of portraying horrible things to condemn them, so it won't immediately translate as an uplifting story, but the message is clear.

Also the Evil Dead remake could be taken as feminist, there's a strong female lead. Although I seem to remember there being some criticism of the way it was so focused on some of the women characters as being the evil, possessed ones specifically.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

axleblaze posted:

Also Excision.

Oh man, Excision is fantastic. Every one should watch it.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
I'd definitely recommend The Descent & High Tension for female-driven horror!

Also Jennifer's Body I guess, but that's more of a comedy and decent enough.

Parachute fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 21, 2013

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Hollis posted:

Wow this is just wow. TORSO TORSO TORSO. That is a great find.

You should watch the actual film now too, it's a glorious combination of sleaze, beautiful cinematography and some actual chills. Good, fun giallo mayhem. Also, during at one point a man utilizes a very nice running dropkick in a fight for his life and what's not to love about that?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The Conjuring reminded me of when I went to go see The Orphanage and Don't Be Afraid of the Dark in that The Conjuring was everything I thought those moves should have been.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Rosa Gallica posted:

The Conjuring discussion on the last few pages reminded me of something I've been meaning to ask: Does anyone in this thread have recommendations for good horror movies that are feminist-friendly or feature especially awesome female protagonists? I'm putting a couple of displays together for my campus Women's Center during the coming school year and I'm planning to do a horror-themed one for October with a selection of movies that visitors can check out alongside a few books like Men, Women and Chainsaws.

I consider The Terminator (1984) as horror with a strong but not Whedon-esque heroine.
The sequel is more action and less horror, but I found to be much more about gender with it's subtext about finding humanity in the balance between femininity and masculinity.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Glamorama26 posted:

You should watch the actual film now too, it's a glorious combination of sleaze, beautiful cinematography and some actual chills. Good, fun giallo mayhem. Also, during at one point a man utilizes a very nice running dropkick in a fight for his life and what's not to love about that?

I've seen it before but never seen the trailer, I just love the guy screaming TORSO over and over in the trailer it's so cheesy.I love Giallo films, I'm surprised that we haven't seen a revival of them but I think we will eventually.

Also, does anyone else think that Peeping Tom should be remade today like seriously,it makes no sense that this film hasn't been made but with modern technology today.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Hollis posted:

I've seen it before but never seen the trailer, I just love the guy screaming TORSO over and over in the trailer it's so cheesy.I love Giallo films, I'm surprised that we haven't seen a revival of them but I think we will eventually.

Also, does anyone else think that Peeping Tom should be remade today like seriously,it makes no sense that this film hasn't been made but with modern technology today.

Peeping Tom COULD be easily remade, but the original is so pitch perfect, why try it?

And we are getting at least a bit of a giallo revival via the film Amer and its' makers. They seem pretty determined to keep the genre alive. Oh and if you haven't seen Amer yet, what the gently caress are you doing?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

weekly font posted:

The Conjuring reminded me of when I went to go see The Orphanage and Don't Be Afraid of the Dark in that The Conjuring was everything I thought those moves should have been.

That's for drat sure.

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

Yeah, I saw the Conjuring with a friend last night and although we saw Evil Dead and Dark Skies earlier this year, this movie actually scared her. I personally thought it was really well done, the camera angles and set design all feels very spooky, and they do a decent job of not revealing too much

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The difference between a movie like Dark Skies and a movie like The Conjuring is like 100% the director, and I liked Dark Skies (and might have been one of the only people here to bother with it in the first place.)

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Hundu did you fist pump at the Insidious shout out?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Refresh my memory. In the evidence room?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Refresh my memory. In the evidence room?

The cymbals monkey in the evidence room.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

weekly font posted:

The cymbals monkey in the evidence room.

Hell yeah. I think my favorite thing in this movie where the hanging woman slowly turns to Lorraine in the basement. It doesn't take much to freak me out if you do it right.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Yeah that scene was fantastic. For me it was The sheets scene and playing up expectations with the music box.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Hell yeah. I think my favorite thing in this movie where the hanging woman slowly turns to Lorraine in the basement. It doesn't take much to freak me out if you do it right.

This scene scared the gently caress out of me.

One of the best recurring parts of the movie was hearing the rope stretch from time to time. Such a small thing, that was just made perfectly creepy.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
The Conjuring loving destroyed at the box office this weekend, making double its production budget (40 mil for the weekend, 20 mil production budget.) Made more than both Turbo and RIPD combined.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

axleblaze posted:

I think Teeth is pretty much what you're looking for, though it's a little blunt.

Blunt? That just makes it worse. :magical:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

E the Shaggy posted:

The Conjuring loving destroyed at the box office this weekend, making double its production budget (40 mil for the weekend, 20 mil production budget.) Made more than both Turbo and RIPD combined.

It's a pretty weak time at the box office right now I think. RIPD and Pacific Rim both look pretty terrible so really Turbo and Despicable Me are going to be the main draws lately.

I doubt Red 2 sees too much success. Everything else has been out for a while now IIRC.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

JP Money posted:

I doubt Red 2 sees too much success.

RED 2 has Dame Helen Mirren covering Jean Reno's Greatest Hits, except instead of an emotionally stunted European bloke in a trenchcoat shooting guys and dissolving their bodies with acid it's the loving Queen.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

whatshesaid posted:

Guys, I'm....broken. Immune to horror. :smith:

My hobby is watching horror movies. I've seen them all, and while most are terrible, I keep watching; I'm never sated. I've been looking forward to The Conjuring like the rest of you
I knew exactly when all the scares were going to happen (and when they weren't going to happen)

Just got back, and this is exactly my reaction to the movie. The cinematography is nice, the family is realistic, the pacing and tone brings to mind a lot of great 70s horror films that just aren't made anymore, but during the first 5 seconds of a given scene you could tell exactly where it was going to go. I can think of only one "scare" that was creatively executed. On reflection the B-plot with the demonhunters could have been dropped from the script and rewritten to reinforce the themes with the family.

I really wanted to like it, but didn't really feel anything during the entire film. It reminded me of Super 8 - it nailed the look, structure, and even characters of a certain style of movie that's not really made anymore, but was just missing something. I'm not even saying it's an imitative of slow-burn 70s horror as a criticism - it does a lot of things better than in the original executions of that type of film - but the whole of each scene was less than the parts going into it.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I saw all the 3 minute+ trailers on TV and it started to irritate me. I just assumed it was another lovely paranormal activity and ignored it. Guess I know what i'm seeing next.

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007
SHIGERU MIYAMOTO IS MY ILLEGITIMATE FATHER!!!
Just got back from seeing The Conjuring.

The scariest scene for me was when the girl woke up and was looking under her bed and then woke her sister and told her there was someone behind the door. Such great tension. I was on the edge of my seat and I loved that they lingered on the shot of her watching the door. I love searching a shot for things that may or may not be there, which is probably why I loved Paranormal Activity so much.

Also, at the end when the youngest girl return's Lorraine's necklace, I thought for sure that Lorraine would open it to reveal the picture of her daughter on one side and the witch/demon on the other, finally fulfilling the foreshadowing of Lorraine's daughter's death. Of course, that didn't happen. In fact, everyone survived! Seemed kind of strange to see a horror movie with a happy ending.

I loved it though. Went in with low expectations. I'd seen it all before but James Wan just makes fun horror movies.

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006
Gonna veer off a little bit here, but I was having a discussion with someone about The Conjuring and I compared it with Pacific Rim (hear me out). Basically, while PR is an example of a genre film following cliches in a way that feels like it's on auto-pilot, The Conjuring is an example of how you can still make a good movie out of something derivative if you execute it well enough.

And it really was a treat to see someone expertly craft horror sequences that slowly escalate the tension to an unbearable level. I think the people who complain about the cliches are kind of missing the point, since Wan is a big fan of horror films and he's reveling in the way he plays into the expectations of viewers. It's a bit of a bummer that he's getting recruited into the Fast and Furious series, since he's definitely capable of making a truly great genre film. He just needs to try something more refreshing.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I don't know, I've heard nothing but good things about Pacific Rim.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Man, with all the complaining about The ABC's of Death I knew I'd be in for something bad, but I wasn't expecting that bad. There's nothing worse than a movie that can't live up to low expectations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Man, with all the complaining about The ABC's of Death I knew I'd be in for something bad, but I wasn't expecting that bad. There's nothing worse than a movie that can't live up to low expectations.

I know, right?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

justlikedunkirk posted:

Gonna veer off a little bit here, but I was having a discussion with someone about The Conjuring and I compared it with Pacific Rim (hear me out). Basically, while PR is an example of a genre film following cliches in a way that feels like it's on auto-pilot, The Conjuring is an example of how you can still make a good movie out of something derivative if you execute it well enough.

And it really was a treat to see someone expertly craft horror sequences that slowly escalate the tension to an unbearable level. I think the people who complain about the cliches are kind of missing the point, since Wan is a big fan of horror films and he's reveling in the way he plays into the expectations of viewers. It's a bit of a bummer that he's getting recruited into the Fast and Furious series, since he's definitely capable of making a truly great genre film. He just needs to try something more refreshing.

Wan getting recruited to do Fast 7 to me is like Brad Bird tapped to do MI: Ghost Protocol.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I think everyone goes into that thinking "how bad could it possibly be?" And they are always surprised that as bad as they were expecting, it was worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's because they have 26 chances to gently caress it up.