Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

V for Vegas posted:

Shenandoah Studios, the team that made the kickass Bulge game on the ipad are kickstarting a Gettysburg game.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ericleesmith/gettysburg-the-tide-turns-ipad-and-iphone-wargamin

Why can't the Bulge game come out on Android? :( All I got's a 4th gen iPod and a Galaxy Tab.

Riso posted:

You should listen to this podcast with the designer of said ipad game.

http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2013/07/11/qt3-games-podcast-wargames-arent-dead-yet/

He was also at Three Moves Ahead's PAX East panel, where they talk about :siren: interface design :siren: I wonder what an East Front game by Shenandoah would be like ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

gradenko_2000 posted:

Why can't the Bulge game come out on Android? :( All I got's a 4th gen iPod and a Galaxy Tab.

He was also at Three Moves Ahead's PAX East panel, where they talk about :siren: interface design :siren: I wonder what an East Front game by Shenandoah would be like ...
In a recent Kickstarter update, they posted a link to a survey which gauges interest in WW2 battles to cover. Four of the ten battles they ask about are Eastern Front battles. The option that intrigued me the most was the Battle of Moscow.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Funny quote from the QT3 podcast - the battle with the most 'must have' votes was D-Day. The battle with the most 'not interested' votes was D-Day.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

V for Vegas posted:

Funny quote from the QT3 podcast - the battle with the most 'must have' votes was D-Day. The battle with the most 'not interested' votes was D-Day.

I personally like how their descriptions of the battles describe about five different battles as the decisive battle of World War II. :v:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Unity of Command: Red Turn discounted to four bucks!

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Lichtenstein posted:

On steam. Wait until the 22nd to see if it will become a daily deal at some point.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
From the previous page, I'm sure we all agree that John Tiller is the best Grog game designer :colbert:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Necroneocon posted:

From the previous page, I'm sure we all agree that John Tiller is the best Grog game designer :colbert:

His games are definitely more accessible, while still having all that sweet spergy OOB detail. I've actually finished a full "campaign" of his - Smolensk 41, something which I've never come close to doing with a Gary Grigsby game.

I just wish they'd look prettier - the MapMod helps, but the 3D mode looks like rear end and it feels like such a waste.

His Naval Campaign series is also top-notch. The only one I haven't tried yet are his Air Campaign games.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Necroneocon posted:

Perhaps, but I need a demo if I'm going to drop money on that UI.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Alchenar posted:

Perhaps, but I need a demo if I'm going to drop money on that UI.

A demo you say?

Actually yeah, John Tiller is the best Grog game designer because his Grog games have friggin' demos.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Lichtenstein posted:

Hmm well no steam trading cards I don't think I can do it.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Seeing the praise for John Tiller, how do you find his Squad Battles series? I've just finished reading a fascinating book on Dien Bien Phu and itching to game it out. How obtuse do you find the interface?

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Hey y'all, if you haven't checked out the Historicon stuff from Matrix it might be worth looking at.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3368547

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3368558

Mostly screenshots but there is some discussion. poo poo tons of things coming to iPad including Panzer Corps and Commander: the Great War. Civil War II, a new Forge of Freedom, and loving War in the West are all showcased.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
The 40k game is looking surprisingly nice.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Jakse posted:

Hey y'all, if you haven't checked out the Historicon stuff from Matrix it might be worth looking at.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3368547

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3368558

Mostly screenshots but there is some discussion. poo poo tons of things coming to iPad including Panzer Corps and Commander: the Great War. Civil War II, a new Forge of Freedom, and loving War in the West are all showcased.

WitW screenshots and a space race simulator, awesome.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Wargamer also let on that WITW is on-track to be released this year. Personally, I think I might actually finish a full campaign of that game, seeing as it only covers 2-3 years and the Allies are in a really good position, but without drowning the player in counters as in WITE's 1944 campaign. I mean, how the heck is the German player supposed to attack hexes with defensive CVs in the 90+ range?!

On AGEOD / Civil War 2: This morning I booted up Pride of Nations' ACW DLC for shits and giggles. I ended up winning in June 1861 by just concentrating the Army of the Potomac and marching on Richmond, which Jackson/Beauregard conveniently left unguarded while they sieged Fort Monroe.

Brother Against Brother looks more promising, but I hope they don't stick us with a locked 640x480 fullscreen resolution.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Strategic Command 3 also seems, well, not much at this point, but I'm glad that they have switched back to hexes.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Nenonen posted:

Strategic Command 3 also seems, well, not much at this point, but I'm glad that they have switched back to hexes.

Those have got to be really early alpha screenshots. I can't believe, even for a second that they're going to drop rail lines, etc. There isn't even terrain. It's nice to know they're going back to hexes, but they probably should have waited to show screenies, or at least plastered ALPHA ALPHA ALPHA all over them.

EDIT: Huh, the lead developer just said over in a thread at Battlefront that the SC series is moving to Matrix Games.

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 22, 2013

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Wargamer also let on that WITW is on-track to be released this year. Personally, I think I might actually finish a full campaign of that game, seeing as it only covers 2-3 years and the Allies are in a really good position, but without drowning the player in counters as in WITE's 1944 campaign. I mean, how the heck is the German player supposed to attack hexes with defensive CVs in the 90+ range?!

I just hope it's not $90. :smith:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

uPen posted:

I just hope it's not $90. :smith:

Would you like a unicorn for your birthday also?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fintilgin posted:

EDIT: Huh, the lead developer just said over in a thread at Battlefront that the SC series is moving to Matrix Games.

Goddamn it :smith: I mean, Battlefront isn't that much better, but why can't they just hop on over to Steam or GOG or indie publishing like those guys that do it through the Humble Bundle site. Tomislav Uzelac should take a picture of his piles of Unity of Command money and mail it to these blockheads.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Goddamn it :smith: I mean, Battlefront isn't that much better, but why can't they just hop on over to Steam or GOG or indie publishing like those guys that do it through the Humble Bundle site. Tomislav Uzelac should take a picture of his piles of Unity of Command money and mail it to these blockheads.

Pricing aside, a service that lets me download my game without emailing support would be nice.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
One benefit of AGEOD going to Matrix is someone at Matrix has finally told them to update that rinky-dink UI they've had for the last 1000 years into something approaching usability

GenericRX
Jun 29, 2013

V for Vegas posted:

One benefit of AGEOD going to Matrix is someone at Matrix has finally told them to update that rinky-dink UI they've had for the last 1000 years into something approaching usability

My god that actually looks good. Now how much more money will we need for this game?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

GenericRX posted:

My god that actually looks good. Now how much more money will we need for this game?

It's quite clearly the same UI just reskinned (and in a way that superficially looks better, but has the same 'not actually giving the player crucial information' problems. Unless they've completely re-written the game engine I bet it still runs like junk too).

Also Brother against Brother looks literally like someone took the dev code for Forge of Freedom and did 5 minutes work on it, and Strategic Command 3 looks merely like 5 minutes of work has been done on it.

I'd complain that I know that Matrix will try to sell these games at £50 and I won't buy it at that price because they aren't worth it, but really I won't buy those games at any price because they look poo poo.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 22, 2013

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Alchenar posted:

It's quite clearly the same UI just reskinned.
Yes its a bit more clear, but nothing of substance has actually changed. :sigh: wargames

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Yes its a bit more clear, but nothing of substance has actually changed. :sigh: wargames

Hell, you can't even clearly see the province delineations on the map.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
In a genre where developers only amend their UI once, being when they actually design it, and given the AGEOD engine UI has not changed one iota in the 7 years and 8 games since Birth of America in 2006, it's a start.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Alchenar posted:

It's quite clearly the same UI just reskinned (and in a way that superficially looks better, but has the same 'not actually giving the player crucial information' problems. Unless they've completely re-written the game engine I bet it still runs like junk too).

Also Brother against Brother looks literally like someone took the dev code for Forge of Freedom and did 5 minutes work on it, and Strategic Command 3 looks merely like 5 minutes of work has been done on it.

I'd complain that I know that Matrix will try to sell these games at £50 and I won't buy it at that price because they aren't worth it, but really I won't buy those games at any price because they look poo poo.

The only AGEOD game I own is Alea Jacta Est and if that clunkiness carries over into their other games I think it's going to be the only AGEOD game I own.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Alchenar posted:

Strategic Command 3 looks merely like 5 minutes of work has been done on it.

I enjoy the SC series, and I like seeing early screenshots, but when your alpha screenshot is literally a featureless green pool table shaped like France maaaaaaybe it's a little early.

They better not try to charge 70$ for it or something either. :colbert:

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

I know it's just an alpha, probably, but I'm really excited about General 1st Guy and his Uboat.

FINALmasa
Feb 12, 2006

Ask me about how feminists are feminists because they can't get laid.

Don't worry, I'm not some sexist ass, MRAs are MRAs because they can't get laid either. By the way, I am totally an MRA!
Are there any good, playable Pacific War games? I've had a lot of fun with Battlestations Midway and Hearts of Iron, and a game that plays like PTO 4 would be decent if that game's AI wasn't so terrible. PTO 2 isn't smooth enough for me. I've been looking at Strategic Command, and I'm wondering if that's the game everyone is playing or if there is something better out there. I do own GG World at War, which was a bit too Axis and Allies for my taste, although I haven't played it multiplayer.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

FINALmasa posted:

Are there any good, playable Pacific War games? I've had a lot of fun with Battlestations Midway and Hearts of Iron, and a game that plays like PTO 4 would be decent if that game's AI wasn't so terrible. PTO 2 isn't smooth enough for me. I've been looking at Strategic Command, and I'm wondering if that's the game everyone is playing or if there is something better out there. I do own GG World at War, which was a bit too Axis and Allies for my taste, although I haven't played it multiplayer.

War Plan Pacific. Designed to be a 'play a campaign in an evening' type game. There was an old Three Moves Ahead podcast on it with the designer. There's even a demo!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

V for Vegas posted:

War Plan Pacific. Designed to be a 'play a campaign in an evening' type game. There was an old Three Moves Ahead podcast on it with the designer. There's even a demo!

I don't think this plays well with Win7. I could never get the demo to run.

uPen posted:

The only AGEOD game I own is Alea Jacta Est and if that clunkiness carries over into their other games I think it's going to be the only AGEOD game I own.

As the proud owner of Birth of America 2 and ACW, I can confirm this.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 23, 2013

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

gradenko_2000 posted:

As the proud owner of Birth of America 2 and ACW, I can confirm this.

I feel like there is a great game trapped in ACW and Birth of America. I put 8 hours into Birth of America trying to find it. I don't think I did. I don't think I did anything in that game.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

gradenko_2000 posted:

I didn't encounter any problems getting the full version of War Plan Pacific to run on Windows 7.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mirificus posted:

I didn't encounter any problems getting the full version of War Plan Pacific to run on Windows 7.

Can I ask for some screenshots and a run-down of what the game is like?

Jakse posted:

I feel like there is a great game trapped in ACW and Birth of America. I put 8 hours into Birth of America trying to find it. I don't think I did. I don't think I did anything in that game.

There definitely is. I can't remember exactly when the game 'clicked' for me, but it was sometime after the tutorial explained how the command-and-control system worked. It's about concentrating your forces at the right place, keeping your logistics in good order, and putting the best leaders in a position where they're the ones engaging in combat.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

gradenko_2000 posted:

There definitely is. I can't remember exactly when the game 'clicked' for me, but it was sometime after the tutorial explained how the command-and-control system worked. It's about concentrating your forces at the right place, keeping your logistics in good order, and putting the best leaders in a position where they're the ones engaging in combat.

This is why I still adore Alea Jacta Est - AGEOD is the best at this kind of operational grand strategy stuff. Unfortunately, the basic tawdry interface hasn't changed in half a decade and everything (particularly combat) is obtuse beyond belief.

Again, I love the games, but I'd only recommend them if you were really into the Russian Civil War or the Roman civil wars or whatever.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think I'll give the ACW game another shot with a later-than-1861 campaign. It was a turn-off to not have divisions yet resulting in armies having large command penalties, while McClellan and Sumner are in command positions :downs:

By the way, does anyone want a game of Unity of Command? Just look me up on the OP player-list. I'd love to try a match.

EDIT: :aaa: There's like one other person who owns War Plan Orange

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Lichtenstein posted:

The 40k game is looking surprisingly nice.

What units are going to be on offer, besides the ones seen there? As in, what factions have been announced?