Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Ratoslov posted:

Maizono's one was really obvious. Like, everyone in the thread was all like 'Stop thinking with your dick, Naegi! She's trying to kill you or frame you or something! Just look at her eyes, this isn't her first murder!'

Yeah, I got to the party late with DR 1, didn't read the thread until this one started and then marathon'd it in two days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

V!ntar posted:

This is beautiful and you are beautiful.

On that note, is it kosher to screencap updates and post them somewhere else? Because I'm surprised that hasn't happened by now

Oren authorized people to make a mirror not that long ago, then this one got linked here.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

thevoiceofdog posted:

Here is a thing I (and a bunch of other cool people) made for the thread. Enjoy!

Part two is coming soon!

This is just great, really great. Can't wait for part two.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

thevoiceofdog posted:

Here is a thing I (and a bunch of other cool people) made for the thread. Enjoy!

Part two is coming soon!

Someone linked me this and I couldn't stop laughing. I read a bit from the first thread and stopped for no reason but I always heard how popular this LP was here and outside SA. Can't wait for part 2 I love these types of videos.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

As a person who bought an account to finish reading Dangan Ronpa, I've gotta say I definitely don't regret my purchasing decision. Considering the hours of entertainment I've gotten just reading backlogs of old poo poo on literally any topic I can think of, 10 bucks is really not that bad of an investment. These tumblr guys need to stop being so whiny.

especially since when you have an actual real job a 10 dollar one-time purchase is a tiny blip on my budget radar

Sporkaganza
Feb 19, 2013

I'm bakayuya tomgami

thevoiceofdog posted:

Part two is coming soon!

That was pretty funny, nice work.

Sporkaganza fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jul 23, 2013

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

thevoiceofdog posted:

Part two is coming soon!

This is wonderful. It is funny though, since I first registered my forums account after the paywall went up during some Let's Play.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Mintergalactic posted:

As a person who bought an account to finish reading Dangan Ronpa, I've gotta say I definitely don't regret my purchasing decision. Considering the hours of entertainment I've gotten just reading backlogs of old poo poo on literally any topic I can think of, 10 bucks is really not that bad of an investment. These tumblr guys need to stop being so whiny.

especially since when you have an actual real job a 10 dollar one-time purchase is a tiny blip on my budget radar

You never had much trouble in getting a real job, have you?

Tombolo
Oct 13, 2012
I hear real jobs are nice but I'm getting by with a handful of fake ones.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
[redacted]

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Feb 18, 2014

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
10 bucks...a month? Oh nooo I owe Lowtax over 300 dollars in delinquent payments.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Patter Song posted:

10 bucks...a month? Oh nooo I owe Lowtax over 300 dollars in delinquent payments.

Son, look at my regdate. I may as well just mortgage my house.

I like the guy who think Slowbeef makes a living off this site. I wonder if he majored in forum modding in school? You probably have to go to an ivy leage place to be a mod of something so elite. :allears:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Bean posted:

Son, look at my regdate. I may as well just mortgage my house.

I like the guy who think Slowbeef makes a living off this site. I wonder if he majored in forum modding in school? You probably have to go to an ivy leage place to be a mod of something so elite. :allears:

I... THINK it's more he thinks he makes a living off of Retsuprae. Those sweet youtube monies are pretty swag.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Actually, he lives off royalties from the Pokemon Company. You know Slowpoke, Slowbro and Slowking? Slowbeef actually holds the copyright to names with Slow- at the start, and Nintendo has to pay licensing fees to him. I know this because my uncle who works at Nintendo told me about it.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Is that why I'm not allowed to post my self insert narrative Pokemon LP?

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

thevoiceofdog posted:

Part two is coming soon!

If you guys need more people to read, I would love to be in one of these. Though I don't know if I can compete with Ragny Dad.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

thevoiceofdog posted:

Part two is coming soon!

That was great. I wonder how many of those were kids with no credit/debt card access?

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.

WilliamAnderson posted:

If you guys need more people to read, I would love to be in one of these. Though I don't know if I can compete with Ragny Dad.

If you like the concept, you should check out the excellent Youtube Reacts videos (by Kamoc from the forums) that this was based on. (And I'm not just saying that because I'm in a few of them.)

Kloro fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 23, 2013

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
[redacted]

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Feb 18, 2014

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
That's amazing.

#dangit ron paul

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

thevoiceofdog posted:

Part two is coming soon!

This made my night. Keep these coming, they're gold!

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

thevoiceofdog posted:

Part two is coming soon!

Oh gently caress you got Ragny's dad in on this? Hell yeah

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I just marathoned DR 1 and now I'm out of DR2 updates. gently caress this gay earth.

On a less content-less note, I'm seriously going to be shocked if Gundam ever bites it in this game. He strikes me as the Hagakure of DR2. He exists to, at most, be a red herring, and be doofy as hell. Forever.

(He is the superior Hagakure)

Facetious Jim
Dec 13, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

I just marathoned DR 1 and now I'm out of DR2 updates. gently caress this gay earth.

On a less content-less note, I'm seriously going to be shocked if Gundam ever bites it in this game. He strikes me as the Hagakure of DR2. He exists to, at most, be a red herring, and be doofy as hell. Forever.

(He is the superior Hagakure)

I cannot think of a believable motive for him to kill anyone ever, outside of someone killing one or more of his hamsters, which in and of itself should count as murder.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Facetious Jim posted:

I cannot think of a believable motive for him to kill anyone ever, outside of someone killing one or more of his hamsters, which in and of itself should count as murder.

Killing Gundam's hamsters should count as suicide. :black101:

That said, so far in Danganronpa, motive isn't a very good clue. This case is an outlier, in that we actually see that one or more people has an immediate, visible motive before the trial starts. Usually, the motive comes out of nowhere and you find the killer by following means and opportunity. The motive will be revealed, but only after the verdict and before they die.

(Personally, I'd kind of like to see a murder where the murderer ignores any questions about why they did it, just to get one over on everyone else before they go.)

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Facetious Jim posted:

I can't think of a non-animal-related motive for him, but I do think there are ones which exist aside from someone murdering a hamster.

Given that we now know that the characters' memories have been wiped, the issue of hamster lifespans could easily come to the fore. Gundam should, as an expert animal breeder, have been able to notice that his hamsters were at least maybe a year older than they should be. If he hasn't noticed, then maybe these aren't even his real hamsters and could be AI fakes, or, if they're in virtual reality, just programs. If we suspend disbelief and say that they're older and Gundam just hasn't noticed, we know that one of them could die soon of natural causes. Either way, those hamsters are probably Gundam's psychological support on the island, and if they're messed with or he discovers they already have been messed with, I think he could commit a murder. Especially as he has or had many other animals back home which he must be highly concerned about. If he learns during this case that more time has passed than he thought before, he's going to be extra desperate to get back to his animals.

The foreshadowing about hamster lifespans that we saw earlier in the game makes me think that this is really going to be an issue for Gundam. If he doesn't develop some strong bonds with the rest of the cast, my guess is he's going to be a future murderer. Of course it's true that motive often comes out of the blue in Dangan Ronpa, but Gundam already has a particularly strong set up for spiralling into despair.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Okay, I've figured out what's going on with Togami, and it makes perfect sense: Let's say that at the end of Dangan Ronpa, Togami figures out the existence of the World Destroyers cult, and tries to track them down. At some point, he realizes that the only way to take them down is to involve himself with whatever is going on in DR2. However, he already knows that they have the ability to wipe anybody's mind! If he goes there, they could just wipe his mind back to the pre-DR days and that would be useless to his goals.

However, he came up with an idea--Monokuma might have the ability to take their memories, but what if he left himself a "something's not right" message using the one thing Monokuma could never take away: his body mass? He'd formulate a plan, all the while gorging on food. If his mind got wiped to pre-DR, he'd immediately know something unnatural was going on. If his mind got wiped to a point after DR, then he could use the weight difference between his remembered weight and his actual weight to extrapolate the exact length of time that's passed. (His appetite on the island was due to him needing to "calibrate" his computations by checking how much weight he'd gain in a day). Presto, no matter what time period he was regressed to, it would be a clear and immediate message to himself: "something's wrong with your memories/perception of time, figure out what's missing".

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Argue posted:

Okay, I've figured out what's going on with Togami, and it makes perfect sense: Let's say that at the end of Dangan Ronpa, Togami figures out the existence of the World Destroyers cult, and tries to track them down. At some point, he realizes that the only way to take them down is to involve himself with whatever is going on in DR2. However, he already knows that they have the ability to wipe anybody's mind! If he goes there, they could just wipe his mind back to the pre-DR days and that would be useless to his goals.

However, he came up with an idea--Monokuma might have the ability to take their memories, but what if he left himself a "something's not right" message using the one thing Monokuma could never take away: his body mass? He'd formulate a plan, all the while gorging on food. If his mind got wiped to pre-DR, he'd immediately know something unnatural was going on. If his mind got wiped to a point after DR, then he could use the weight difference between his remembered weight and his actual weight to extrapolate the exact length of time that's passed. (His appetite on the island was due to him needing to "calibrate" his computations by checking how much weight he'd gain in a day). Presto, no matter what time period he was regressed to, it would be a clear and immediate message to himself: "something's wrong with your memories/perception of time, figure out what's missing".

Except Fatgami took pride in his weight, obsessed over food facts that pertained to weight gain, and all in all treated his weight as a core part of his character rather than an anomaly. This doesn't make sense for someone who has been mindwiped and believes he should be several hundred pounds lighter.

Fatgami is toootally a different person.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Captain Oblivious posted:

Except Fatgami took pride in his weight, obsessed over food facts that pertained to weight gain, and all in all treated his weight as a core part of his character rather than an anomaly. This doesn't make sense for someone who has been mindwiped and believes he should be several hundred pounds lighter.

Fatgami is toootally a different person.

They could write new memories as well. 'Good plan, Togami, but gently caress you, you love being fat as all gently caress now. ENJOY THESE HAM SHANKS (I KNOW YOU WILL, TUBLARD)'

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The love of being fat was a defensive mechanism; at the end of DR, Fukawa was head-over-heels in love with him, and she (or, well, Syo) has a certain way of dealing with boys she likes. Gaining a bunch of weight was his method of avoiding being Genocided (and having Fukawa hang around him in general), and so complete was his terror that even after a memory wipe, he instinctively knew that being skinny was death.

ZedSlayer
Apr 28, 2012

"Take him"
My personal theory is that this is a different Togami, in that he and DR1 Togami are identical twins named the same to preserve the heir title between them, and one was skinny, wore black, and was callous, while the other obsessed over bodyfat, wears white and is more sypathetic to others and trys to be a good leader.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

ZedSlayer posted:

My personal theory is that this is a different Togami, in that he and DR1 Togami are identical twins named the same to preserve the heir title between them, and one was skinny, wore black, and was callous, while the other obsessed over bodyfat, wears white and is more sypathetic to others and trys to be a good leader.

I'm pretty desperately hoping it's a different Togami somehow too, just because when a sequel brings back a character from the original only to immediately kill them off, it's pretty much always a terrible move and serves as a detriment to the story as a whole. I doubt we'll find out until the final case if it is a different person, somehow, anyway. I'm interested to see what the justification would be, I'll be pretty disappointed if the answer is just "Nah it's the same Togami, he just got fat because of jokes."

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

I bet Nanami would have taught her how to superswim if she had asked :colbert:

Somehow the second picture took less time and effort to draw.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Those are both fantastic in their own way.

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

Prison Warden posted:

I'm pretty desperately hoping it's a different Togami somehow too, just because when a sequel brings back a character from the original only to immediately kill them off, it's pretty much always a terrible move and serves as a detriment to the story as a whole. I doubt we'll find out until the final case if it is a different person, somehow, anyway. I'm interested to see what the justification would be, I'll be pretty disappointed if the answer is just "Nah it's the same Togami, he just got fat because of jokes."

You know it would sort of make sense given how Togami explained his family working.
The only issue with that then would be...how the gently caress do you have two super high school level heirs if one has already beaten all the others?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mintergalactic posted:

Dude the forums cost $9/month, and that money is going straight into that elitist prick Slowbeef's pockets. Also I heard that Diabetus steals those credit card numbers and charges all sorts of weird poo poo on them, that's how I wound up with a bunch of fleshlight purchases I swear!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Prison Warden posted:

I'm pretty desperately hoping it's a different Togami somehow too, just because when a sequel brings back a character from the original only to immediately kill them off, it's pretty much always a terrible move and serves as a detriment to the story as a whole.

That is a very specific set of circumstances to make judgments on. How many times has this happened outside of Chrono Cross?

Bisensual
May 24, 2013

Do you hate me?

tiistai posted:

I bet Nanami would have taught her how to superswim if she had asked :colbert:

Somehow the second picture took less time and effort to draw.

That made me laugh. Out loud. In public. drat you.

Mintergalactic posted:

Same here. I started reading DR because of seeing it on my tumblr dashboard so much. But ten bucks is nothing. It's a pretty good investment, at least to me.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

loquacius posted:

That is a very specific set of circumstances to make judgments on. How many times has this happened outside of Chrono Cross?

It seems to be more common in movies than in video games. I think I mentioned Friday the 13th Part 2 as the Ur-example the first time we had this discussion; other instances include Beneath the Planet of the Apes, Alien3, and Nightmare on Elm Street 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online
I want Fatogami to still be the original. He had some great character development between the two games.

We haven't had an update on DR:0 recently, but I was reading through the older chapters and something occurred to me. The pervy little kid implies that the "study abroad" trip the class went on was just a cover for them all being brutally murdered, but is it possible that our DR2 kids are the ones that are supposed to be dead? I guess speculation on this point isn't really that productive until we have the whole novel finished, but it was just a thought I had since all of the students think they're in a different country.

• Locked thread