Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Typical Pubbie posted:

What is borderline racist about that quote? I attended a 99% black charter middle school and heard the exact same sentiment expressed countless times by older black people who were not Bill Cosby.

If a white dude was saying it without the "damaged your own race" part it would be dogwhistle as hell. The problem is it places the problems with today's youth on superficial problems and completely ignores the underlying social causes of why these youths feel so disaffected. It's just milquetoast pandering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Sounds like just a bunch of George Will style :bahgawd: to me.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

Ah yes, the "everybody else was doing it" method of deflecting guilt.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
I don't need listen to the radio or watch TV to get the latest right-wing talking points, my co-workers provide it all for me. Tonight I got to listen to people stating that Philadelphia voted 110% for Obama, that all black people need to do is just not be in gangs and get an education and they'll make it in America, that everyone in the USA has the same opportunities, and white guys asking why it's racist when they use racial slurs but not when a black guy does?

They also passed around the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sL2f0PoqME

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Whenever I hear white people complaining that minorities are allowed to use ethnic slurs that pertain to them, all I really hear is "I REALLY, REALLY WANT TO INSULT SOMEONE BASED ON THEIR RACE!"

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Radish posted:

Whenever I hear white people complaining that minorities are allowed to use ethnic slurs that pertain to them, all I really hear is "I REALLY, REALLY WANT TO INSULT SOMEONE BASED ON THEIR RACE!"
All I want is an equivalent of nigga to call my friends when we are shooting the poo poo. Having to say "dude" is white man's burden.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 minutes!
Young Orc

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

My favorite part is watching these idiots delete their tweets once angry tumblr people descend upon them. Or like that awful girl who tweeted "Thank god for the bullet that killed Trayvon Martin, one less friend of the family" and then got fired for it :getin:

Do you have a link for this? I've been looking for an article about this happening to someone.

Radbot posted:

I can't wait until the FCC shuts radio down, it's a huge waste of spectrum for poo poo content that you can find elsewhere.

This is a horrible way to view the situation. Give WFMU a listen, if you want to hear what radio can be.

edit

bigtom posted:

And yeah...most times Google Maps is better than what is fed to Traffic.com. But some of the older traffic guys know decent alternate routes that aren't on the maps.

I did traffic at KPFT in Houston and pretty much every station in the city uses Houston's own traffic site, TranStar, which is awesome. If you like watching traffic, it's the site for you.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 23, 2013

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Sir Tonk posted:

Do you have a link for this? I've been looking for an article about this happening to someone.

Here's the girl who got suspended and terminated after tweeting "Thank God for the bullet that killed Trayvon Martin". (needless to say, don't read the comments)

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

This is now making the rounds on my Facebook and I finally had to give in. Bill O'Reilly doing some whitesplaining on the *real* race problem. http://video.foxnews.com/v/2560422134001/president-obama-and-the-race-problem-/

The true gem in here for me was O'Reilly getting really amped up about how calling for a conversation is truly just calling for more bloviating.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
O'Reilly valiantly making all the points Obama pre-emptively refuted in his speech, and then some more racism.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Asnorban posted:

This is now making the rounds on my Facebook and I finally had to give in. Bill O'Reilly doing some whitesplaining on the *real* race problem. http://video.foxnews.com/v/2560422134001/president-obama-and-the-race-problem-/

The true gem in here for me was O'Reilly getting really amped up about how calling for a conversation is truly just calling for more bloviating.

I don't watch O'Reilly or Fox News, but is O'Reilly really this bad? This right here is the perfect illustration of why the GOP is in the bind that they're in with minorities and most non-racist whites. He tries to make too many points to go through one by one, but O'Reilly really doesn't loving get it does he? "Hey black people, I know I'm a wealthy old white guy, but let me tell you what your kind need to do: stop committing crimes, stop doing drugs, stop wearing hoodies, stop having babies out of wedlock, start speaking proper English and stop playing victim all the time!...oh and something about HOLLYWOOD LIBERALS!!!"

And he's pissed! Like really, really mad.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

(needless to say, don't read the comments)

Couldn't help myself. Wow. It's literally filled with people who believe that the Freedom of Speech is Freedom from Consequence.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Vriess posted:

Couldn't help myself. Wow. It's literally filled with people who believe that the Freedom of Speech is Freedom from Consequence.

I read them too! Which pet name did you find more endearing: "St. Thugvon" or "Obamason"?

:barf:

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

tek79 posted:

I don't watch O'Reilly or Fox News, but is O'Reilly really this bad? This right here is the perfect illustration of why the GOP is in the bind that they're in with minorities and most non-racist whites. He tries to make too many points to go through one by one, but O'Reilly really doesn't loving get it does he? "Hey black people, I know I'm a wealthy old white guy, but let me tell you what your kind need to do: stop committing crimes, stop doing drugs, stop wearing hoodies, stop having babies out of wedlock, start speaking proper English and stop playing victim all the time!...oh and something about HOLLYWOOD LIBERALS!!!"

O'Reilly legitimately hates, like, everyone. He's one of the few right wing media guys that I can picture as an undercover accelerationist just trying to stoke the flames that will burn the whole thing down.

poor nose
Oct 29, 2005

Good Citizen posted:

O'Reilly legitimately hates, like, everyone. He's one of the few right wing media guys that I can picture as an undercover accelerationist just trying to stoke the flames that will burn the whole thing down.

The sad part about O'Reilly is that he really doesn't he has just figured out that he can make a lot of money that way, he's generally not a giant rear end in a top hat just a normal sized one but once that camera turns on he ramps up into high gear and lets the poo poo spew.

Now Hannity is someone who I legitimately believe hates everyone except rich white people. The only time I can't take anymore and HAVE to change the station is when one of his "token blacks" calls in and I can just sense this smug smirk on Sean's face as he talks to them trying to get them to say some of the most ignorant poo poo knowing that the rest of his audience is listening thinking "stupid blacks". It makes me so sad/angry I just have to change it.

Edit: Nevermind O'Reilly is a shitheel

poor nose fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 23, 2013

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Vriess posted:

I'm really worried about Biggby Coffee, how are they going to stay in business with all the angry far-right racists boycotting them? :ohdear:

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Asnorban posted:

I've said this before, but O'Reily is a white supremacist. He's not even subtle about it. The fact that he is the "moderate" one at Fox News is really telling.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
It's not like O'Reilly wasn't kind of obvious from the whole "whatta ya mean you can't say wetback?" as if he grew up on the border in 1910 and just genuinely didn't know, but my favorite older incident was the dinner with Al Sharpton thing. The stuff where he gets preachy is just finger-gagging, but watching him talk about dinner with Al and how black people could order tea just like other humans while using spoons and forks properly or whatever was just :lol:tastic. It was like reading something out of the Kipling era.

Also, you guys need to polish up on the portmanteaus.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Vriess posted:

The "wut happn 2 freedum of speach??!?!?!" that comes up all the time just makes me wish people would just post "I'm a moron!" instead.

It's the beloved FREE MARKET at work you dumb assess and has nothing to do with anything except your ignorantly imagined version of a constitutional amendment.

To be fair, they are just poorly educated and that's sad. :(

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Remember when O'Reilly went to that soul food restaurant and he was simply AMAZED at the well-behaved blacks who took his order and served his food! They said please and thank you, and didn't start breakdancing or throwing gang signs even one time. Sharpton hadn't gotten to them.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SedanChair posted:

Remember when O'Reilly went to that soul food restaurant and he was simply AMAZED at the well-behaved blacks who took his order and served his food! They said please and thank you, and didn't start breakdancing or throwing gang signs even one time. Sharpton hadn't gotten to them.

They were some of the Good Ones. I don't doubt that most white people don't even understand how that's offensive.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

ReindeerF posted:

It's not like O'Reilly wasn't kind of obvious from the whole "whatta ya mean you can't say wetback?" as if he grew up on the border in 1910 and just genuinely didn't know, but my favorite older incident was the dinner with Al Sharpton thing. The stuff where he gets preachy is just finger-gagging, but watching him talk about dinner with Al and how black people could order tea just like other humans while using spoons and forks properly or whatever was just :lol:tastic. It was like reading something out of the Kipling era.

Also, you guys need to polish up on the portmanteaus.
You guys are missing the full, beautiful context of that incident:

http://mediamatters.org/research/2007/09/21/oreilly-surprised-there-was-no-difference-betwe/139893

He wasn't just amazed at some black people dining, he was dining with Al Sharpton, was amazed that the restaurant Al brought him to was able to operate as civilized with black people owning it and then brought Juan Williams on to discuss it, which is where the comments come from. He later had another broadcast with Sharpton about it. It was a spiral of hilarity.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I hoped I'd never have to think about that segment again. The only upside to that was watching Juan Williams have to roll around in it too. Like yep, you just hosed off from NPR and now you are carrying water for some guy who youtubes "LUDACHRIS" and "THAT BLACK HOTDOG STAND WHERE THEY YELL AT YOU" and assumes he just watched the contemporary history of black people in America.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I've been catching up on Rush lately in order to drag some material into the thread and either I'm very lucky and happen to tune in when he's blatantly lying, being a hypocrite, connecting dots that don't connect in any way, spouting demonstrably untrue talking points (and so on), or the entire show at this point is simply worthy of straight up Rifftrax/MST3K commentary and mockery. It's almost impossible to pull just one segment out and mock it because it just goes on and on and on, one half truth building on top of the last.

As I was listening to him and rebutting him out loud, I felt like other drivers near me could see me silhouetted against my front windshield surrounded by two robots. Honest to god, go turn it on right now, wait 5 minutes and just see if he doesn't say something insanely stupid or downright false. For example: yesterday, it was "Unions and 'the DemoCRAT Party' bankrupted Detroit. Today, it was "Obama is re-focusing on the economy to draw attention away from the scandals. Folks, conservatives have focused on nothing BUT the economy!"

*Ignores: Benghazi, Birth Certificates, ACORN, voter fraud, Rev. Wright, Bill Ayers, gun control, Sandy Hook, Edward Snowden*

Yes, Rush, conservatives have weighed in on NOTHING but the economy for years now and are in no way divisive. Someone should seriously Rifftrax a Rush radio show.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
He's right, though.

They only focus on [destroying] the economy.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

tek79 posted:

Yes. O'Reilly IS that bad. This is the same guy who, after getting butchered in a debate over drug testing for welfare, pointed out that the drug addiction rate and unemployment rate were ALMOST EXACTLY THE SAME NUMBER! OH MY GOOOOOOOD! Because it's virtually impossible for somebody to be a drug addict and have a job at the same time or impossible that a person without a job has never done drugs.

To get an idea of how different a reality the right wing lives in this was an article that I saw hailed as an amazing bit of wisdom that showed that poor black kids just don't WANT to become educated and successful hard enough. They just don't WANT it. That's the problem.

It's called "If I Were a Poor Black Kid."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/quickerbettertech/2011/12/12/if-i-was-a-poor-black-kid/

The summary is basically "well I'm not a poor black kid and never have been so I have no idea what challenges they face but here's what I think poor black kids should do..." The whole argument is effectively "well poor black kids have the internet, they should just go use it more."

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/quickerbettertech/2011/12/12/if-i-was-a-poor-black-kid/

The summary is basically "well I'm not a poor black kid and never have been so I have no idea what challenges they face but here's what I think poor black kids should do..." The whole argument is effectively "well poor black kids have the internet, they should just go use it more."

That seemed like a lot of half-assed work just to call inner city black kids lazy. I also like the idea here that because he has no idea what sort of problems impoverished minorities face and his immense respect for that fact he has to take the responsible route of either "making poo poo up" or "pretending there are none".

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yes. O'Reilly IS that bad. This is the same guy who, after getting butchered in a debate over drug testing for welfare, pointed out that the drug addiction rate and unemployment rate were ALMOST EXACTLY THE SAME NUMBER! OH MY GOOOOOOOD! Because it's virtually impossible for somebody to be a drug addict and have a job at the same time or impossible that a person without a job has never done drugs.

To get an idea of how different a reality the right wing lives in this was an article that I saw hailed as an amazing bit of wisdom that showed that poor black kids just don't WANT to become educated and successful hard enough. They just don't WANT it. That's the problem.

Yay whitesplaining :buddy:

"Blacks are disenfranchised because they hate the system! There's no way they hate the system because it is specifically and heavily rigged against them, we're a post-racial society!"

:smithicide:

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

BiggerBoat posted:

Someone should seriously Rifftrax a Rush radio show.
In order to do it properly you'd have to listen to that particular radio episode a few times to come up with material. I would wish such torture upon no one :(

A caller just brought up this article in the New Yorker by Malcolm Gladwell: OFFENSIVE PLAY: How different are dogfighting and football?
Rush admitted to not having heard of the article but of course the first thing that comes to mind for Rush is Michael Vick and the majority of football players are African Americans. He then went on a long tirade about how in just a few months blacks will be howling at the moon about how black players are being exploited by their rich white owners in an attempt to kill football once and for all. He's been preaching the impending doom of the NFL for months now because it will be so less masculine if the safety of the players is taken into account.

I'd have to say that thinking a bit further on it, this scene from Life of Brian sums up right-wing media perfectly: a bunch of false prophets propped up by a gullible and captive audience.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The question I would ask him is if he thinks kids can make it in poor or inner city schools, why doesn't he send his kids there?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

kik2dagroin posted:

In order to do it properly you'd have to listen to that particular radio episode a few times to come up with material. I would wish such torture upon no one :(

A caller just brought up this article in the New Yorker by Malcolm Gladwell: OFFENSIVE PLAY: How different are dogfighting and football?
Rush admitted to not having heard of the article but of course the first thing that comes to mind for Rush is Michael Vick and the majority of football players are African Americans. He then went on a long tirade about how in just a few months blacks will be howling at the moon about how black players are being exploited by their rich white owners in an attempt to kill football once and for all. He's been preaching the impending doom of the NFL for months now because it will be so less masculine if the safety of the players is taken into account.

I'd have to say that thinking a bit further on it, this scene from Life of Brian sums up right-wing media perfectly: a bunch of false prophets propped up by a gullible and captive audience.

Don't forget that time in the 90s when Rush was doing football commentary and got his rear end dropped like a hot potato after saying something like "he did ok for a black guy."

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 minutes!
Young Orc

It's almost as if the middle class white men in this county don't understand minorities and are just projecting their own experiences onto them and wondering why they aren't as successful.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

I'm not sure if I should laugh at this article or punch a wall fifty times.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sir Tonk posted:

It's almost as if the middle class white men in this county don't understand minorities and are just projecting their own experiences onto them and wondering why they aren't as successful.

I think it's more that middle class white folks both don't understand what the poor and/or minorities go through and the things that are preventing them from ever being anything other than poor minorities and they want to believe that they got where they are by EARNING it themselves. It goes into that "rugged individualism" bullshit that we keep seeing thrown around. You'll see white guys from non-poor families whose parent paids them through college (30 years ago when it was also like 0.05% of what it costs now...different conversation, though) that got a job through some school connection and were handed promotions by virtue of being lighter colored than the people they were up against acting like privilege had nothing to do with it.

A lot of Americans doing well want desperately to believe that hard work is the ONLY thing that matters and, being hard workers, they got where they are by TOILING the way there. It's why the right wing vomits out "you dumb poors just need to work harder and quit expecting handouts" while totally forgetting that being born in the suburbs to parents that own stock and have a $500,000 house with $250,000 in the bank will give you a much easier time of succeeding than being born in a situation where you aren't even certain you'll eat dinner today.

Yeah some of it is good old-fashioned racism but I don't think racism is THE answer. I think one of the problems is people living comfortably and being born into comfortable lives and having their education and success literally handed to them believing that EVERY American gets that. Which is really the opposite of reality. There is an entire class of people who, based solely on the circumstances of their birth, have little to no hope of every climbing the social ladder. What's worse is there are people actively working to prevent these people from doing that.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 23, 2013

Van5
Sep 9, 2011

tek79 posted:

I'm not sure if I should laugh at this article or punch a wall fifty times.

do both instead

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

OAquinas posted:

Don't forget that time in the 90s when Rush was doing football commentary and got his rear end dropped like a hot potato after saying something like "he did ok for a black guy."

Rush was hired for ESPN's Sunday morning NFL show, to be "the voice of the fan". No politics, nothing with a political bent, just football.

Three or four weeks in, Rush talked about how Philadelphia Eagles QB Donovan McNabb (who had led the team to multiple conference championship games in a row by that point) was overrated by the media because "the media was desirous to have a black quarterback succeed in the NFL". That's what got Rush fired, after earlier weeks where he talked about other black figures in football that were getting too good of treatment.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-jXm6FqmgI

Long story short: Fascist propaganda tabloid New York Post (spits) prints a story where they claim food stamps recipients (who they purposefully identify as 'welfare recipients') are shipping off food stamps food they bought with YOUR TAXPAYER DOLLARS off to their families in places like Jamaica.

Their source and evidence for this?

A woman not on welfare or food stamps who saves up her own money to buy food to ship to her foreign family. (Saving up since december no less.)

They base all their estimation of cost and so on off of her for the article. The article even says that the fictional food stamps people they're talking about paid cash (not food stamps) for the food items.

They go on to have some jackass from the ever racist ever fascist ever poor-hating Cato institute say that he wants a 'food stamp police' type thing. Because clearly it's people on food stamps, not people in wall street & investment banks we should be policing...

They literally just made some poo poo up based on something completely unrelated. What next? Putting people who aren't bombing suspects on the cover page of their lovely paper and claiming far more people died than actually did? :allears:

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 23, 2013

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/black-nfl-players-crush-prospect-playing-rush-limbaugh-owned-st-louis-rams-article-1.383689 posted:

Limbaugh, who grew up in Missouri about 100 miles south of St. Louis, is an avid sports fan who once said that "the NFL all too often looks like a game between the Bloods and the Crips without any weapons."

Rush was going to be one of the two owners of the Rams had Dave Checketts not dropped him out of the bid and later his own bid. :shepicide:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Marlamaid Swordhand posted:

Rush was going to be one of the two owners of the Rams had Dave Checketts not dropped him out of the bid and later his own bid. :shepicide:

Which is why he declares football is going to die any day now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I'm really worried about Biggby Coffee, how are they going to stay in business with all the angry far-right racists boycotting them? :ohdear:

They could change their name back to Beaner's Coffee?