Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
On hardcore DS3 is like 15-20 hours long and plenty hard. It's much harder than normal mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The White Dragon posted:

I think the real question here is why are you using Opera instead of Ashton :colbert:

Opera owns :colbert: Best healer in the game!

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I've been replaying Breath of Fire III and aside from the dragon gene system and the fishing, I'm trying to figure out why I liked this game so much as a kid. It's not overly bad or anything, but there are quite a few points where I go "oh poo poo not THIS part." At least three or four dungeons are like that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CVagts posted:

I've been replaying Breath of Fire III and aside from the dragon gene system and the fishing, I'm trying to figure out why I liked this game so much as a kid. It's not overly bad or anything, but there are quite a few points where I go "oh poo poo not THIS part." At least three or four dungeons are like that.

That is kind of the game BoF3 is. It has a lot of really cool ideas and a lot of really really stupid ideas and it's easier to remember the good ideas.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I still don't know why I like BoF2 so much. It's pretty much an objectively awful game with a nowadays-cliche'd plot, but I find the game to be fun as hell somehow.

Dec 26, 2012

CVagts posted:

I tried playing it recently and yeah, there's a whole lot of that. Certain parts of the game just grind to a loving halt as it gets its poo poo together.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
So someone in the steam summer sale pointed me to the site to grab the extra/removed content for KoTR 2 and I just wanted to say, if you are reading this thread, thanks!

So looking forward to playing this game again. Between KoTr 2, Bastion, Dragon Age Origin Ultimate Edition, the Last Remnant, Costume Quest, Avadon the Black Fortress plus a few quasi rpg games I might actually be good for a while :) Should be able to swing 80+ hours from at least 2 of those games and thats if I don't include Ogre Tactics I got on my psp

Just missing Jade Empire, a game I never got to play on xbox, and I think I'll be pretty drat set for RPG's

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

CVagts posted:

Yeah, I went through it recently and I think nostalgia is a big part of why I can still play through those parts but overall the presentation is top notch for the era. The sprites have aged really well and the soundtrack is quite nice too. Breath of Fire 4 is arguably a better game but the polygonal enemies really sucked a lot of the charm right out out of the game for me.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

fronz posted:

I still don't know why I like BoF2 so much. It's pretty much an objectively awful game with a nowadays-cliche'd plot, but I find the game to be fun as hell somehow.

I like BoF2 a lot too. The only thing that's bad about it is its ridiculously high encounter rate, but other than that it's a pretty solid RPG. Well, aside from the "if you don't ever use Sten you'll be hosed later on" part. That never even occurred to me as being a potential problem though until I read about it here--the idea of not using all the characters you're given in an RPG and trying to keep them all relatively balanced in power (even if they suck) goes so hard against my gamer's OCD that the concept was utterly alien to me at the time.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Genpei Turtle posted:

I like BoF2 a lot too. The only thing that's bad about it is its ridiculously high encounter rate, but other than that it's a pretty solid RPG. Well, aside from the "if you don't ever use Sten you'll be hosed later on" part. That never even occurred to me as being a potential problem though until I read about it here--the idea of not using all the characters you're given in an RPG and trying to keep them all relatively balanced in power (even if they suck) goes so hard against my gamer's OCD that the concept was utterly alien to me at the time.

Well, there's also that half of the game is a fetch quest with absolutely no progression until more than halfway in. And then after that fetch quest is a series of lesser fetch quests. That's kind of bad. (And not using Sten isn't too bad - there's a perfect area to grind there, because they loving knew you'd screw yourself like this)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Another quick observation on Odin Sphere: I don't mind playing through the game with multiple characters, but it's so depressing to spend some 8-10 hours on one character and then go back to the starting line with the next one with only 16 item slots again and no rabbit cafe available.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I like BoF2 as well but it's a game I played growing up. I imagine it'd be frustrating to play it today without that sense of nostalgica (unless you're on an emulator, of course. Frame skipping solves many problems!).

I mean the amount of derails towards the main plot get ridiculous at times. Let's take a look at when you need to investigate the forest near Gate:

1) Find and free Spar so you can talk to the elder tree to learn what's up.
2) But to find Spar you need to save a whale to get to the island the circus is on.
3) Ok, now you gotta catch this monster so you can trade it for Spar's freedom.
4) You may or may not have to go to a shack out in the middle of nowhere to get food to catch said monster, depending on if you can get it right on the first try.
5) You can choose to not catch the monster and just battle the circus ringmaster for Spar's freedom (and this fight still happens if you *did* catch it, rendering the point of that trip moot anyways)
6) Okay, now you have Spar, but upon talking to the tree you learn that you need a special pillow to enter his mind so you can fix him and learn what's going on.
7) But the city that has the pillow talks via music so you need to go and get an item to understand them.
8) This means you gotta go through Sten's tedious bullshit section and once you start it you can't stop until the end so get really for some slow grinding if you haven't been using Sten.
9) A million hours and a few explosions later, you learn you can't just borrow the pillow because the queen is ill, so you have to get a special mushroom.
10) After getting the mushroom, you need to go inside the queen's body to kill all the demons to cure her.
11) After curing the queen, you get the pillow and can enter the tree's mind.
12) Now you gotta go and kill the demon inside the tree.
13) Finally you can talk to the tree and learn what's up with Gate. Hooray?

I don't mind playing through all that but story-wise the amount of fetch quests in that part alone is rather ridiculous.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
The Ys games are on sale on Steam now through Thursday and I was looking for a good introduction to the series. I played the origin demo which included a melee and ranged character and the combat reminds me of Bastion. I only want to buy one, so which would be a best introduction to the series, or the most fun?

The ones on sale include Origin, I & II Chronicles+, and The Oath in Felghana.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Oath in Felghana is the one I started with, and probably the best to get into the series with.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Get get either Origin or Oath and kick yourself later for not buying the other one at the same time. Chronicles is interesting but largely unchanged from the 80s originals other than the prettied up graphics so the combat system may be an acquired taste.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fronz posted:

Oath in Felghana is the one I started with, and probably the best to get into the series with.

Yeah, I'd agree with this. Oath is one of the easiest in the series to jump into.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

fronz posted:

Yeah, start with Oath. Origin is a great game but it is the only Ys game where you don't play as the series main character, Adol, and so I feel it is better to start on Oath in Felghana which is more representative of the series as a whole. Chronicles' gameplay is a bit dated and so you might want to wait on it until later. I still found it fun though and it was nice to see how the series began.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think it's less that Ys I & II have "dated" gameplay than they're just kind of unconventional. Once you get used to it it becomes a very solid little action RPG. All three games are so bloody cheap anyway.

Oath/Origin is more indicative of the current gameplay engine, however.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Everyone in the Steam thread said to get Origin and everyone in the RPG thread says to get Oath. everyone says both are great, so I'm going for Oath since it's a little bit cheaper. The games are on sale for 30 more hours so maybe by tomorrow I'll pick up the other. Thanks for the replies.

Pringles_School
Jul 24, 2013

sexual rickshaw posted:

I actually found the writing in Dungeon Siege 3 up to Obsidian standards. It's not as good as say, the best bits in Mask of the Betrayer or Alpha Protocol, but there was a lot of things in there that made me chuckle. Plus there's Reinhardt, who is pretty drat hard to hate if you truck him about as a companion.

Yeah, totally. It's criminal how people underrate it and sometimes I think they weren't paying all the attention. I especially found Jeyne Kassynder a stand-out (really well grey charachter as well) and everything surrounding her. Got me interested in possible Sequels. A stand-out moment for me was actually the end of the DLC and the choice associated with it. It's an incredible set-up choice for a sequel and I hope Obsidian does something similiar with the P:E franchise. Odo was another stand-out for me actually, though it was not presented well to the player. It's still pretty great when you realize he's just a dillusioned old man that dedicated his life to something that was a lie in the first place. The bit where he outright refuses to hear the truth since he has his suspicions himself and rather would believe what is best for himself is pretty great.

Writing alone I consider DSIII to be better than NWN2 OC and SOZ at least.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Okay, so you lot have convinced me to give DS3 another chance- of the protagonists, who has the best personal storyline?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Yeah now I want to play through it again too. I played as the old man last time; who should I use for a 2nd playthrough?

Pringles_School
Jul 24, 2013

CommissarMega posted:

Okay, so you lot have convinced me to give DS3 another chance- of the protagonists, who has the best personal storyline?

I wouldn't really choose the protagonist on story reasons since that gets mostly shafted. You get more out of them as a companion. So, for the main char I would just go for the one you have most fun playing. Regarding your companion I would chose one you like best and stick with it when you have him. The quips they make are most rewarding that way.

Tipp for general enjoyment: Be aware that this was by far Obsidian's lowest budgeted game (8 Million) with AAA production values (which is why it was a travesty that SQE sold this full price initially) and as such just doesn't have as much meat on it. In my opinion, it's enjoyable meat, but still.

Edit: I would recommend Anjali as a companion since her arc has the most satisfying conclusion. (And you have her the longest as well)

Pringles_School fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 24, 2013

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I'm playing Valkyrie Profile 2 again after all this time and it really is a good game. It has some of the usual problems all Tri-Ace games have; models look like real dolls, they emote poorly and the dialog is a bit on the stiff side but goddamn they really did manage to transition the amazing battle system from VP1 into 3D and do it well. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed setting up positions and breaking enemies over and over again. It looks amazing for a PS2 game too. I'd love to see another game in the series designed like VP2 but on a next gen system, though I'm not sure it wouldn't go the same way as Star Ocean did.

That being said, are there any skills I should be focusing on early in the game? I forgot how complex some of the mechanics were and I'm kind of floundering with gear and symbols and such.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CommissarMega posted:

Anjali feels the most like she's supposed to be the "main" character of DS3, followed by Lucas and then the other two. Reinhardt is the most entertaining companion but when you main him you miss all the best quips, so I would not suggest doing that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Levantine posted:

the dialog is a bit on the stiff side
Can't speak for VP2, but in Valkyrie Profile 1's case, the stiff dialogue has its moments. Mostly in Badrach's recruitment.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Basically all I want out of the PS4 is Valkyrie Profile 3: Hrist.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Levantine posted:

That being said, are there any skills I should be focusing on early in the game? I forgot how complex some of the mechanics were and I'm kind of floundering with gear and symbols and such.
As far as passive skills go, you can avoid any skill that looks remotely complicated. All of the best skills in VP2 are the simple ones: attack and magic multipliers.

For attack skills, well I don't remember skill names so I'm just going to describe them I guess. Anything that increases purple gem drop rates you want, because that leads to longer combos. Anything that increases break chance is used for preparing for boss battles you can't normally defeat. Anything that increases the heat gauge should only ever be equipped on the third guy in your finishing strikes so the 4th member will definitely get to go. Again, anything that looks like a complicated skill is best avoided (double/triple strike come to mind; the friendly fire skill also).

For defensive skills, just put first aid on everyone. Put the item skill on one person. If you use a tank, then use the toughness passive skill and anything that may increase RDM. RST is pretty poopy so don't bother unless you're completely out of ideas late-game. Everything else in the defensive category is either very specialized or just costs too much to actually equip.

For crit, you want the skill that raises your flat crit rank. Crit is very strong in VP2 so you definitely want to boost its frequency. Most of the racial crit skills will come on weapons (don't sell these). The most common ones are magician, beast, and unholy warrior.

And I never bothered with reaction skills. If you ever watch any of the really pro VP2 players, you'll sometimes see them parry spells and that's the only reaction skill I ever hear of anyone using.

Good luck! If I can offer any other advice it's to not ignore Einherjars.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Can anyone help me out here with The Last Remnant
Something is simply not making sense to me in terms of combat/exploration. I am using a xbox controller and it says hit RT to taunt a enemy so that I basically engage them before they get the jump on me, and a bonus in combat

Yet it seems like unless I hit it, get them to chase me and than just keep spamming RT I almost never engage the fight myself and instead am starting many fights at a disadvantage. WTF am I missing? Do I have lock on with LT than hit RT or what?

The game simply said use RT to engage a enemy first

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rascyc posted:

If I can offer any other advice it's to not ignore Einherjars.

This. It seems like most of the cast comes and goes throughout the game. So you should definitely level up some Einherjars unless you want to be left with a few holes after a chapter ends and some of the cast leaves.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Practically every boss in the game (if not actually every boss in the game) is giant or divine. Having access to the racial skills is a huge game--it means you can run into some giant dragon which kicks your rear end, then load, equip the skills good against giants, scaled enemies, and dragons, and absolutely demolish it.

Learning skills is based on the average level of your party, so if it ever gets interminably slow, just stick the person you're actually trying to get skills on into a party with three low-level einherjar.

Finally, you absolutely positively want to do the sidequests in the ancient forest, turgen mines, and chateau obsession. Use a guide if you have to, those sidequests let you carry extra sealstones and are basically mandatory.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Basically all I want out of the PS4 is Valkyrie Profile 3: Hrist.
I would buy a PS4 upfront if that was announced. Covenant of the Plume wasn't bad at all, but Valkyrie Profile 3: Some Dude You've Never Heard Of Also it's a SRPG Now wasn't what I wanted.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Can anyone help me out here with The Last Remnant
Something is simply not making sense to me in terms of combat/exploration. I am using a xbox controller and it says hit RT to taunt a enemy so that I basically engage them before they get the jump on me, and a bonus in combat

Yet it seems like unless I hit it, get them to chase me and than just keep spamming RT I almost never engage the fight myself and instead am starting many fights at a disadvantage. WTF am I missing? Do I have lock on with LT than hit RT or what?

The game simply said use RT to engage a enemy first

Whatever button or trigger you are looking for makes rush do an anime pose as a giant circle expands around him, engaging any enemies caught in it. Is that happening??

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

GulagDolls posted:

Whatever button or trigger you are looking for makes rush do an anime pose as a giant circle expands around him, engaging any enemies caught in it. Is that happening??

Its changing the little icon above the head but only once in a while will I actually engage them and not have them rush/jump on me and have the bonus round(whatever the combat bonus is)

Mind you I spam that poo poo to try and engage them. But I catch them in the circle they than rush me and I'm at a disadvantage. I've only gotten to use the circle to start the attack on 1 mob so far

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I could never get into Covenant of the Plume cause all my friends told me to use the plume on my first play through or else I'd experience the content in the wrong order. So I used the plume and then I was left with a super lovely ending, a new game+ where I just rolled everything because of all the items, and a boring game filled with bad voice clips. And those two little kids.

Probably one of my greatest regrets. I still have no idea how you're supposed to properly play that game.

vvv Oh that's a good idea, I think I'll dig out my copy from years ago and see if I can find some closure.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 24, 2013

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rascyc posted:

I could never get into Covenant of the Plume cause all my friends told me to use the plume on my first play through or else I'd experience the content in the wrong order. So I used the plume and then I was left with a super lovely ending, a new game+ where I just rolled everything because of all the items, and a boring game filled with bad voice acting. And those two little kids.

Probably one of my greatest regrets. I still have no idea how you're supposed to properly play that game.

I sold all my items between each new game+ loop so the only real carryover was a giant pile of cash.
I actually really like the tactical maneuvering in covenant of the plume, as it's a fresh take on how to overcome inherent action advantage inequality that I haven't seen in any other SRPG.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

I could never get into Covenant of the Plume cause all my friends told me to use the plume on my first play through or else I'd experience the content in the wrong order. So I used the plume and then I was left with a super lovely ending, a new game+ where I just rolled everything because of all the items, and a boring game filled with bad voice clips. And those two little kids.

vvv Oh that's a good idea, I think I'll dig out my copy from years ago and see if I can find some closure.

You should use the plume if you just absolutely can't win. Otherwise the game is at its most fun when you're figuring out how to win the fights that are stacked against you. A lot of the passive abilities are amazingly good and the key to success.

cheetah7071 posted:

I sold all my items between each new game+ loop so the only real carryover was a giant pile of cash.
I actually really like the tactical maneuvering in covenant of the plume, as it's a fresh take on how to overcome inherent action advantage inequality that I haven't seen in any other SRPG.

You also carry over all your protagonist skills which are way more important than anything else.

Levantine posted:

I'm playing Valkyrie Profile 2 again after all this time and it really is a good game. It has some of the usual problems all Tri-Ace games have; models look like real dolls, they emote poorly and the dialog is a bit on the stiff side but goddamn they really did manage to transition the amazing battle system from VP1 into 3D and do it well. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed setting up positions and breaking enemies over and over again. It looks amazing for a PS2 game too. I'd love to see another game in the series designed like VP2 but on a next gen system, though I'm not sure it wouldn't go the same way as Star Ocean did.

Generally go for skills that look good, except for once exception:

Get Rufus the skill that causes a body part break on critical hit. (I don't recall the English name but the Japanese one is Body Passage.) There is a weapon you can buy called Blue Gale which always critical hits. This is broken as gently caress. Rufus can basically solo carry you through huge chunks of the Seraphic Gate with this combo.

Endorph posted:

Can't speak for VP2, but in Valkyrie Profile 1's case, the stiff dialogue has its moments. Mostly in Badrach's recruitment.

The acting in VP2 is a little weaker except for Liam O'Brian's Lezard Valeth who is pretty great. The Japanese voice actor for Lezard is better but that isn't really a fair competiton because Takehito Koyasu's performance is absolutely out of the park good. Either way they're the actor who steals the show.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 25, 2013

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Its changing the little icon above the head but only once in a while will I actually engage them and not have them rush/jump on me and have the bonus round(whatever the combat bonus is)

Mind you I spam that poo poo to try and engage them. But I catch them in the circle they than rush me and I'm at a disadvantage. I've only gotten to use the circle to start the attack on 1 mob so far

You can't just spam that poo poo, you need to wait until the enemy is close enough that the icon above their heads turns red and then you can press RT to engage. I think pressing RT without enemies in range causes them to chase you around which makes it easier to link up a bunch of enemies at once later on.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

The acting in VP2 is a little weaker except for Liam O'Brian's Lezard Valeth who is pretty great. The Japanese voice actor for Lezard is better but that isn't really a fair competiton because Takehito Koyasu's performance is absolutely out of the park good. Either way they're the actor who steals the show.
And O'Brien at least keeps up in the maniacal laughter race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I'm pretty sure you're suppose to hold it and the circle expands.