Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Anphear posted:

Nah cause it locks the power transfer into 80% FWD until he turns the car off and this happens over any decent bump or roughness in the road. He's 'fixed' it buy pulling the fuse so it no longer attempts to transfer.

I was being sarcastic, implying that HICAS generally has fits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Well played

Filthy Luker
Aug 4, 2002
Hemi V8 :911: powered air raid siren :fap:

quote:

Its six horns were each 3 feet (0.9 m) long. The siren could be heard from a distance of 20 to 25 miles (32 to 40 km) away and had an output of 138 dBC (30,000) watts. They were 12 feet (3.7 m) long, built atop a quarter section of a Dodge truck chassis rail, and weighed an estimated 3 short tons (2.7 t).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_air_raid_siren

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Filthy Luker posted:

Hemi V8 :911: powered air raid siren :fap:

You forgot the video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04SMJlwosZ0

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think this is the right place to put this. I was in Healdsburg, CA a couple weekends ago and caught a McLaren in the wild:

We were eating lunch across the street and it was fun watching passers-by stop and snag cell phone photos... about one every minute or two.

I don't know McClarens so I had no guess as to what model (I assume not an F1, which is the only model I know off the top of my head).

Googling suggests it's an MP4-12C?

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 24, 2013

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Googling suggests it's an MP4-12C?
Yeah. It's a Cool Thing and I hope I can catch one in the wild someday.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

N is for Nipples posted:

Yeah. It's a Cool Thing and I hope I can catch one in the wild someday.

Top Gear thought it was uninspired and bleh but I think it's :krad:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Astonishing Wang posted:

Visually when compared to the 458, maybe.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ow my spine.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Almost went in the terrible things thread, but it looks like it works, so v:v:v

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Anphear posted:

My father owns a total of EIGHT Honda City's all in various states of repair.

It's probably a good thing I didn't get in touch with you when I was looking for a city turbo motor for my '83 civic wagon.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Astonishing Wang posted:

I did one of those things in Vegas where you drive an exotic car around a track. In the parking lot they had 430s, 458s, gallardos, Astons, AMG SLS, all totally awesome. But the most interesting looking car there, no poo poo, was the 12C. It may not be as pretty or as gaudy as the other cars, but it looks like the loving FUTURE.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I caught this really well kept 993 4S on the freeway, I think I like this generation the most aesthetically.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp
Nice custom plate on this ferrari.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
GOOD NEWS!

Neat Bug powered trike I stopped behind the other day.

:black101:

RIP truck thread

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

These are awful, they should be burned and their owners put to death. Also, armfat.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Slavvy posted:

These are awful, they should be burned and their owners put to death. Also, armfat.

It has to hurt feeling them flap in the wind.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

:black101:

RIP truck thread

This needs to be federally mandated to be on the back of every trailer because gently caress waiting in the left lane behind a truck passing another truck and having 10 assholes behind me whip around on the right so he can't move over. :argh:

Also it appears this photo was taken from a vehicle passing on the right. :suicide:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Slavvy posted:

the drivers are worse than the vehicles, I got stuck behind one doing 10 under the limit (20-30 under the speed I can do that road at IN A GOD drat LIFTED JEEP WITH NO SWAYBARS late at night :argh:) for like 10 miles across town once.

e: speaking of lifted jeeps

From http://www.truckinweb.com/events/1303tr_31st_annual_4wheel_jamboree_nationals/ - there are a lot of horrible penis compensation brodozer trucks and other terrible things in there too.

kastein fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 25, 2013

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:911:.jpeg

The 'quicken loans' and 'THE PROFIT' signs next to eachother are hilarious. Where is that?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Needs to have two eagles loving in mid-air while Bruce Springsteen plays Born in the USA on a 200 foot tall screen thats on fire in the background.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Slavvy posted:

:911:.jpeg

The 'quicken loans' and 'THE PROFIT' signs next to eachother are hilarious. Where is that?

The Budweiser and Mobil 1 signs next to each other, too. Makes you think. :tinfoil:

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

kastein posted:

From http://www.truckinweb.com/events/1303tr_31st_annual_4wheel_jamboree_nationals/ - there are a lot of horrible penis compensation brodozer trucks and other terrible things in there too.

I find this one particularly amusing: http://www.truckinweb.com/events/1303tr_31st_annual_4wheel_jamboree_nationals/photo_11.html

Among all their big jacked up full size pickups with mudding tires they were surprised that a subaru forester was the fastest on an autocross course? Considering it shares its chassis with the impreza that's hardly surprising.

Edit: For content, I want this in a sexual way:

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 25, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'd do dirty dirty things for a modern Maserati.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I did one of those things in Vegas where you drive an exotic car around a track. In the parking lot they had 430s, 458s, gallardos, Astons, AMG SLS, all totally awesome. But the most interesting looking car there, no poo poo, was the 12C. It may not be as pretty or as gaudy as the other cars, but it looks like the loving FUTURE.

The non-obvious stuff about the 12C is even more amazing. The whole suspension and everything is a real engineering masterpiece.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
Living in Kenya, I see some crazy poo poo, which usually belongs in the Terrible thread. But I took this today of my balloon's truck.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Is that a Merc L series? We had a merc 4x4 L911 as a fire truck and while it couldnt go more than about 80kph on the highway, nothing would stop the drat thing offroad

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Saw this beauty in the parking lot at work yesterday. It was perfect in every way.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

I'd do dirty dirty things for a modern Maserati.

The non-obvious stuff about the 12C is even more amazing. The whole suspension and everything is a real engineering masterpiece.

I don't understand why automotive journalists are so down on it in general. The consensus seems to be "It's an awesome technological achievement but it's not as interesting as a Ferrari". I guess I'd have to drive both to understand, but I think it's amazing. The suspension in particular is incredible. It's hardly a bad looking car either, though I will admit I like the 458 better in that regard.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I'd want one of those just for that trick suspension system it has. Hooning a couple hundred miles without having sore legs/back at the end? Yes please.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I don't understand why automotive journalists are so down on it in general. The consensus seems to be "It's an awesome technological achievement but it's not as interesting as a Ferrari". I guess I'd have to drive both to understand, but I think it's amazing. The suspension in particular is incredible. It's hardly a bad looking car either, though I will admit I like the 458 better in that regard.

Same with the GTR but that seems to be getting less hate for all the electronics now. I missed a chance to play with a 12C on the track a few weeks ago and I'm really kicking myself for it.

Here's some cars without a bunch of technology keeping you alive.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

Think the biggest issue is that it doesn't look at that "Supercarish" kinda looks just like a Genesis or something.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Here's some cars without a bunch of technology keeping you alive.

Hey, there's a surprising amount of technology in tyres and brake fluid :haw:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Having driven both :smuggo:, I think I understand what journos are saying.

The 12C is a phenomenal car, communicates to the driver extremely well, easy to drive fast, and forgiving when you inevitably do something dumb. It's pretty, very comfortable, and rewarding to drive. If you listen to it, it will turn you into a hero.

The 458 is a loving monster, and it makes you feel like a hero the second you start it. It is an incredible car to drive and it will slap the poo poo out of you if you do something wrong. It is less comfortable and less communicative (i.e. doesn't give you the warning that the 12C does), and it is inarguably prettier.

Given the choice between the two, I'd buy a 430 Scuderia, because it's all the 458 things plus ridiculous noise and carbon fibre everywhere and omfg. When the 458 Scuderia becomes available, it will probably be even more ridiculous pagentry than the 430, which will make it even more thrilling.

And for me, at that price point (i.e. one I will probably never be able to afford), it's about the feels you feel, man. And the Ferrari just makes me heart sing in a way the McLaren doesn't.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Edit: For content, I want this in a sexual way:

I was biking a rail trail about a month ago and at one of the street level crossings, one came barrelling up the road and almost hit me..

I was like, "Hey you fuc-woah, nice car"

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

sofullofhate posted:

Having driven both :smuggo:, I think I understand what journos are saying.

The 12C is a phenomenal car, communicates to the driver extremely well, easy to drive fast, and forgiving when you inevitably do something dumb. It's pretty, very comfortable, and rewarding to drive. If you listen to it, it will turn you into a hero.

The 458 is a loving monster, and it makes you feel like a hero the second you start it. It is an incredible car to drive and it will slap the poo poo out of you if you do something wrong. It is less comfortable and less communicative (i.e. doesn't give you the warning that the 12C does), and it is inarguably prettier.

Given the choice between the two, I'd buy a 430 Scuderia, because it's all the 458 things plus ridiculous noise and carbon fibre everywhere and omfg. When the 458 Scuderia becomes available, it will probably be even more ridiculous pagentry than the 430, which will make it even more thrilling.

And for me, at that price point (i.e. one I will probably never be able to afford), it's about the feels you feel, man. And the Ferrari just makes me heart sing in a way the McLaren doesn't.

All of this condensed in my mind into the McLaren being the Thinking Man's Supercar.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think a lot of the testing and comparos of these models are done on the track. I wonder if the 12C isn't a lot more livable on the street, which is where most of these cars spend most of their time.

Living in California as I do, if I were wealthy enough to be in the market for a $250k car, I'd want one I can comfortably cruise up and down Highway 1 for a long weekend, or haul rear end up I-5 for a week in Oregon, as well as track days at Sears Point.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Leperflesh posted:

I think a lot of the testing and comparos of these models are done on the track. I wonder if the 12C isn't a lot more livable on the street, which is where most of these cars spend most of their time.

Living in California as I do, if I were wealthy enough to be in the market for a $250k car, I'd want one I can comfortably cruise up and down Highway 1 for a long weekend, or haul rear end up I-5 for a week in Oregon, as well as track days at Sears Point.

Then I think your hypothetical self would be comparing a 599 against a Granturismo and a Vanquish. This is why FSM made eye-wateringly fast GT cars. :colbert:

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Saw this on the streets of SF, trouser chili may recognize the engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
gently caress alla y'all, I think the trike is neat. :colbert: