Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
into the void
Feb 13, 2011

theironjef posted:

Did you have a spinal tap? I've had one of those. First time his crying is warranted, I'd say. That poo poo was the most painful thing I've ever been through, I remember it to this day and I was seven.

I had one when I was 25. It wasn't the tap itself that was awful, but the anesthesia. I felt it in my pelvic bone. They had to do it twice because they couldn't get any spinal fluid. I also had to sit up and lean over a stool when they couldn't get it lying down. The doctor actually asked me if I had scoliosis as a child (I didn't). Fun fact, after all that, the needle puncture didn't heal and I leaked spinal fluid for a week. :) Another doctor later told me to just insist on a radioligist to do it in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
What is it about Sonic that promotes so much goddamn fanart creation? That sexy Robotnik is pretty awesome though, can't lie.

I'll get That Hedgehog :heysexy:

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Monkey Fracas posted:

What is it about Sonic that promotes so much goddamn fanart creation? That sexy Robotnik is pretty awesome though, can't lie.

I'll get That Hedgehog :heysexy:

Even though those pictures don't do it, Sonic media has a very simple style that can be easily copied by an unskilled artist such as a teenager. Unlike Mario, the games and media flirt with adult themes (poorly). It has a large cast of characters that offer many different chances for viewers to find a character that is "theirs".
Additionally, compared to Mario, there are still running comics and cartoons to go along with the games that increase the exposure of the character. The games have despite their teenager edginess, have little controversy, so conservative families feel no reluctance to purchase them for their children.

I think the best reason is that Sonic is "cool". He is the Bugs Bunny to Mario's Mickey Mouse. Sonic's character retains an "edge" that leaves it appealing to teenagers, while Mario remains more of a kid's character. By appealing to teenagers, his popularity is during the prime fan art period.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

foobardog posted:

Even though those pictures don't do it, Sonic media has a very simple style that can be easily copied by an unskilled artist such as a teenager. Unlike Mario, the games and media flirt with adult themes (poorly). It has a large cast of characters that offer many different chances for viewers to find a character that is "theirs".
Additionally, compared to Mario, there are still running comics and cartoons to go along with the games that increase the exposure of the character. The games have despite their teenager edginess, have little controversy, so conservative families feel no reluctance to purchase them for their children.

I think the best reason is that Sonic is "cool". He is the Bugs Bunny to Mario's Mickey Mouse. Sonic's character retains an "edge" that leaves it appealing to teenagers, while Mario remains more of a kid's character. By appealing to teenagers, his popularity is during the prime fan art period.
DeviantArt has about 480,000 results for 'Sonic The Hedgehog'.
Well...

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
The creepiness of the Sonic fandom still isn't well-known outside of the internet, though, right? Because I have a Sonic wallet, and my ringtone is Green Hill Zone, and I'd hope the message I'm sending is "giant loving nerd who grew up with a Sega Genesis" rather than "giant loving nerd who jacks off to badly drawn bat tits."

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nope you're pretty much hosed on that front. Best to just incinerate them and find new stuff.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

Rollersnake posted:

The creepiness of the Sonic fandom still isn't well-known outside of the internet, though, right? Because I have a Sonic wallet, and my ringtone is Green Hill Zone, and I'd hope the message I'm sending is "giant loving nerd who grew up with a Sega Genesis" rather than "giant loving nerd who jacks off to badly drawn bat tits."

As long as you don't have Crush 40 as your ringtone, you're good buddy!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Have some nightmare fuel...

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

Say Nothing posted:

Have some nightmare fuel...

Sweet Jesus. Are they going to explode gorily at the viewer?

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

karl fungus posted:

Serious question: why is it a bad thing for him if his hands get bigger?

I have no idea. I play piano and have little stubby mitts. I'd love to have bigger hands so I could play an eighth with one hand without it hurting. As long as I didn't have all the other effects of actual Marfan's Syndrome of course and just had Applejack's crystal treatment.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

quote:

Sly- Wario
Carmelita- Mona
Murray- Dribble
Bentley- Spitz
Penelope- Penny
Neyla- Ashley
Crash- 18 volt
Cortex- Dr Crygor
Jak- Young cricket
Daxter- Jimmy T
Keira- Kat
Clank- Mike
Ratchet- 9 volt
Sasha- Ana

quote:

Wario - Robin
Mona - Starfire
18-Volt - Cyborg
Ashley - Raven
Young Cricket - Beast Boy
Penny - Terra
Jimmy T. - Aqualad
9-Volt - Speedy
Ana - Bumblebee
Vanessa - Blackfire
Jamie T. - Jinx
Spitz - Gizmo
Dribble - Mammoth

Not sure what this one is a crossover with, but I think I see a sailor moon tiara on Mona?

quote:

Wario:"Eww, your bike is so lame"
Shadow:"Says the person who wears a helmet."
Wario:" Wa-Why you!... at least mine... uhh.. was a present, cuz I got friends and you don't! WAHAHA!!
Shadow:"I got friends,but not lame ones."
Wario:"WHAT? Oh, yeah? I least one of my best friends is ALIVE."
Shadow:*twitch* "Oh, that's it, you crossed it."
*chases each other around with bikes*

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

There was a TV show that ran for a while. I don't remember ever seeing it, though I am the right age to have, but maybe that's the source of all the bizarreness? Certainly it's where all the extraneous characters (I don't think Sonic had a girlfriend in any of the old games, for instance) come from.

Actually, pretty much nothing from the SatAM series (or the comics, as far as I'm aware) has made it into the games themselves. We can argue up and down as to whether or not it's a good game, but the character bloat from Sonic Adventure onward is just an invention of the game itself. As for Sonic having a girlfriend, that's a bit of a misperception. Amy Rose (presuming that's who you're talking about) has pretty much had a one-sided crush on Sonic since Sonic CD, and honestly? As annoying as it is, her characterization in Sonic Adventure and onward is just a natural extension of that. There's plenty of problems with Sonic games from 2000-2010, but fortunately, influence from the TV shows and comics is not one of them.

:goonsay:

alnilam posted:

Not sure what this one is a crossover with, but I think I see a sailor moon tiara on Mona?

It's Star Fox.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Yeah the weird mystical/magical ancient Echidna society stuff with the Chao and Chaos and whatever is just from Sonic Adventure and the games have just sort of went with it. The 90s show was kind of its own thing.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is this some character who is associated with a P-40 Warhawk? Or am I just sperging on Planes?

You're sperging more than the artist, but less than me. That manplane has a bubble canopy, four-bladed prop, and long thin wing edges. It's visually sort of a crummy mix of a P-40 and a P-51, with some Type A Spitfire wings for fun(also an anime man).

theironjef has a new favorite as of 17:32 on Jul 25, 2013

DoubleAughtMeowMix
May 3, 2006

B33 < Meow what is so funny

theironjef posted:

You're sperging more than the artist, but less than me. That manplane has a bubble canopy, four-bladed prop, and long thin wing edges. It's visually sort of a crummy mix of a P-40 and a P-51, with some Type A Spitfire wings for fun(also an anime man).

I'm seeing a Mk XVI Spitfire, "A late Spitfire Mk XVIE with the teardrop canopy."

Squilliam Fancyson
Oct 12, 2012

karl fungus posted:

Where the hell did all of these ridiculous plotlines come from with regards to Sonic? While growing up, I only knew Sonic as some blue thing that ran around really fast collecting rings. Did I miss something between the Genesis games and now?

Kinda- Starting with Adventure, it got pretty plot heavy. Adventure had all the mythical lore about the god of destruction, Chaos, Adventure 2 introduced Robotnik's grandfather, his space colony / death ray, and his plans of the Ultimate Life Form (Shadow and to a lesser extent the Biolizard prototype), Shadow the Hedgehog was a clusterfuck of edgy plotlines, Unleased was another god of destruction, Dark Gaia, and Sonic 06 is where the infamous Princess Elise kissing a deceased Sonic comes from.

It's gotten simpler in later games, but, yeah- pretty hectic from a series about a hedgehog saving woodland animals from a mad scientist..!

Lizard Wizard posted:

Actually, pretty much nothing from the SatAM series (or the comics, as far as I'm aware) has made it into the games themselves.
Kiiinda. For the most part, the shows and comics stayed separate from the games. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine used Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog characters, Sonic Pinball had a few to both that and SatAM, and the Bioware-developed Sonic Chronicles RPG was heavily inspired by one of the storylines of the comics.

Aaaanyway, bad fanart

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

DoubleAughtMeowMix posted:

I'm seeing a Mk XVI Spitfire, "A late Spitfire Mk XVIE with the teardrop canopy."

That's the one. Right down to the distinctive exhausts. Nice pick.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Simpsons.

Ponies.

Family guy.

Where do they come from?
And where do they go?
Such meaningless things...
Here's some kittens.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Huszsersvn posted:

Sweet Jesus. Are they going to explode gorily at the viewer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3eWq1Vq_NQ :nws:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Okay.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.
How would web stop him if he's talking through fabric anyway?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Lizard Wizard posted:

Actually, pretty much nothing from the SatAM series (or the comics, as far as I'm aware) has made it into the games themselves.

Except for his love of chili dogs of course! :haw:

:gonk:

captain platypus
Aug 30, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Haha what the hell? Apparently this guy created Knuckles, and this Lara-Su thing is about his daughter. :shrek:

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Triskelli posted:

Except for his love of chili dogs of course! :haw:

:gonk:

And here I thought Shadow was the only one that knew how to ride a hog.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

DoubleAughtMeowMix posted:

You know, I think I'd rather turn into a kickass airplane than be foreverially delitized

Years ago I remember seeing some artist who did warplanes and historic battleships anthropomorphized as cute anime girls. I don't know where the pictures are, and to be honest I don't really want to search for them right now

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Jesus is Satan's clone and a severely hosed up weirdo?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

UnnaturalSELECTION posted:

Years ago I remember seeing some artist who did warplanes and historic battleships anthropomorphized as cute anime girls. I don't know where the pictures are, and to be honest I don't really want to search for them right now

I looked and I couldn't find any that seemed familiar, but I did find these.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

UnnaturalSELECTION posted:

There's even a term for it now ("mecha musume") and an entry on wikipedia about it.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

"What I say every morning when these buff assholes knock on my front door"

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Not sure if it's considered a meme, but it's most definitely weird.

Muh pixivs! :(

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

kinmik posted:

Muh pixivs! :(

I care so much I can't even spell his name right!

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I care so much I can't even spell his name right!

I'm pretty sure that says Trayvon, it's just a wacky font.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Forgall posted:

Jesus is Satan's clone and a severely hosed up weirdo?

No, Jesus is "good" and Satan is "evil" and this is revealed to us when Satan drops down from the rafters and stabs Mary Magdalene with his katana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
aaaaaaaaaaaa

• Locked thread