Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Zaphod42 posted:

For a second I was like :stare: How can you have SFC FF IV and VI but not V? Then I saw the UGC. :v:

Not collecting megaman because a collection once popped up on PS2 seems like a really weird criteria to me :confused: but I guess to each his own.

Megaman stuff tends to be really pricey. That and I do not have a Japanese Famicom Converter for the NES games. The Megaman and Megaman X collections were like $10-$15 dollars each and overall I got a real mixed view of the series. Megaman 1-6 aren't that drastically different but half of those aren't really all that good. 7 was different from 1-6 but it wasn't as good as Megaman 8 which was the one I liked the best from the post NES games. The X series I felt got progressively worse as I kept beating each installment.

That and the collections gave you Bonus games that weren't released in America, so around 25 bucks for experiencing a series that I am really on the fence on seemed perfectly fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Zaphod42 posted:

For a second I was like :stare: How can you have SFC FF IV and VI but not V? Then I saw the UGC. :v:

Not collecting megaman because a collection once popped up on PS2 seems like a really weird criteria to me :confused: but I guess to each his own.

I did the same thing with the X series. I'd prefer to have the original carts but there's no way I'm going to pay what X2 and X3 are going for these days, so the PS2 compilation is good enough for me.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*

Quiet Feet posted:

I did the same thing with the X series. I'd prefer to have the original carts but there's no way I'm going to pay what X2 and X3 are going for these days, so the PS2 compilation is good enough for me.

This is why I'm collecting Mega Man games for NES, but Rock Man games for the SFC/SNES. They're only like $10ish each through Rakuten.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

WendigoJohnson posted:

Megaman stuff tends to be really pricey. That and I do not have a Japanese Famicom Converter for the NES games. The Megaman and Megaman X collections were like $10-$15 dollars each and overall I got a real mixed view of the series. Megaman 1-6 aren't that drastically different but half of those aren't really all that good. 7 was different from 1-6 but it wasn't as good as Megaman 8 which was the one I liked the best from the post NES games. The X series I felt got progressively worse as I kept beating each installment.

That and the collections gave you Bonus games that weren't released in America, so around 25 bucks for experiencing a series that I am really on the fence on seemed perfectly fine.

Oh, I guess I misunderstood. I thought it was :shepface: "I'm too GOOD to collect anything that isn't a Nintendo exclusive, and those don't count because a port collection once popped up on Sony's filth!". You kinda made it sound that way.

If its just "those are expensive yo, but they're cool" then whatever dude, that's fine. But "I've played it before for cheaper" is no reason to not collect something!! This is :retrogames: after all. (I can't afford it / don't care enough is a great excuse though)

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Playing a game as a rerelease and liking it is an even bigger push to buy the original.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Oh Snap!

Lets take a look at this...(Sorry about that postage, christ!)

A Cup? OK. Crack her open.

Ahahaha! I'm pretty sure this guy thought he'd get off easy by just sending a sweet Nintendo console out. NO SIR! Also, I was getting all smacked up on gin just last night. I like to deal with my console related problems with booze.

Underwear?!

Sweet rear end poster for my office.

Random Sega CD awesome.

The cup! I can't believe the condition of this thing!

Alright. Here goes....

Yes indeed, I needed this.

Awesome!

YES! This is one of my top 5 Sega-CD games and part of the Renovation subset I'm collecting!

Thanks babe! (See how I combine the hold with a thumbs up?)

midge fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 24, 2013

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh, I guess I misunderstood. I thought it was :shepface: "I'm too GOOD to collect anything that isn't a Nintendo exclusive, and those don't count because a port collection once popped up on Sony's filth!". You kinda made it sound that way.

If its just "those are expensive yo, but they're cool" then whatever dude, that's fine. But "I've played it before for cheaper" is no reason to not collect something!! This is :retrogames: after all. (I can't afford it / don't care enough is a great excuse though)

Oh god no, I'm not like that. My Sony collection is larger than my Nintendo one.

The Fuck Juicer
Oct 16, 2012

Longshot: are there any UK based goons that can do the 50/60Hz mod on my Sega Saturn? I've been quoted £75 without postage elswhere which is a joke.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

:3: I was going to send you a model 2 Sega CD as well (you probably could tell from the PMs), but its mere addition brought the fees to $55 just for the shipping alone :stonk: (US to Canada shipping went crazy recently!). If you ever end up in the US, it's yours.

Glad you liked it though, especially since buying for a Sega fan is like trying to pick out gifts for my father. :v:

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 25, 2013

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Something brought a tear to my eye, saw quite a few Earthbound carts below 100 bucks today. Price Charts showing that they're starting to dip after the VC release. Hopefully the trend will continue and they'll be below 90 by August.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

WendigoJohnson posted:

Something brought a tear to my eye, saw quite a few Earthbound carts below 100 bucks today. Price Charts showing that they're starting to dip after the VC release. Hopefully the trend will continue and they'll be below 90 by August.

My investment portfolio! :retrogames::negative:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Random Stranger posted:

My investment portfolio! :retrogames::negative:

Should have moved everything over to Xenoblade stocks.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

WendigoJohnson posted:

These are all the completed auctions for cart only Ebay since it was released on the VC.

$140
$162
$160
$150
$160
$200
$162
$214
$167
$170
$163
$162
$207
$179
$172
$325
$180
$184
$153
$160
$153
$184
$170
$157
$165
$162
$174
$146
$160
$158
$229
$229
$157
$165
$169

Price charting still has the average price as $160. They won't drop below $100.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Harlock posted:

These are all the completed auctions for cart only Ebay since it was released on the VC.

$140
$162
$160
$150
$160
$200
$162
$214
$167
$170
$163
$162
$207
$179
$172
$325
$180
$184
$153
$160
$153
$184
$170
$157
$165
$162
$174
$146
$160
$158
$229
$229
$157
$165
$169

Price charting still has the average price as $160. They won't drop below $100.

The rerelease only lit the fire. I know some people cite a few PS2 games as an example of digital releases dropping prices but we're not talking about a 3-4 year gap between physical and digital, we're talking about a game that hasn't seen a release in 15 years and was never released in Europe at all. It's like a "lost" Nintendo classic for some people.

Hey Nintendo, how about giving us Americans Devil World while you're at it? The blue devil was an assist in Smash Bros., hook us up!

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Devil World would be cool, but you know what would be cooler? DQ7 3DS.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Just got the "true" ending for Illbleed tonight.

Y'know what? I am loving done trying to describe this thing in words. Have the following composite emote instead.

:arghfist::stonklol::fh:
:yosbutt:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Quiet Feet posted:

Y'know what? I am loving done trying to describe this thing in words. Have the following composite emote instead.

Cool now you can join me in being sad about a sequel tease that will never come true :smith:

illbleed ruuuuuullllleeeeeesssssss

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 25, 2013

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Quiet Feet posted:

Hahahahahaha. Glad to see you loved it then!

Seriously, we need more games like these - the strangeness is what keeps us talking about them long after they have passed. (and the soundtrack too! Too ILL to BLEED is awesome.)

Tumor Baby
Sep 9, 2011

Quidnose posted:

Are there any recommendations for games I should get that run off disk? I just grabbed SMB2-JP. Thinking about watching for the obvious Metroid and Zelda grabs. Is there anything else I should be looking for?
Konami released some really awesome FDS exclusives that you should definitely pick up: Almana no kIseki (Mystery of Almana), Meikyuu Jin Debaba and Ai Senshi Nicol (Love Warrior Nicol). Particularly that last game. Excellent graphics, amazing Konami soundtrack and the whole game's in English too. Plays a lot like Guardian Legend and Blaster Master so if you like those, definitely get it, it's a goddamn crime it never got released in the U.S.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

absolutely anything posted:

Cool now you can join me in being sad about a sequel tease that will never come true :smith:

illbleed ruuuuuullllleeeeeesssssss

:argh: You bastard!

Alright, a few comments now that I've had a good night's sleep. Feels a little weird spoilering stuff for a 10-year old game, but anyone who hasn't played this really need to give it a spin, and the less you know the better.

I totally called that Reynolds was Eriko's dad, and I didn't even notice the very obvious picture in the museum in my first game. That being said, I did not expect him to be some kind of freaky mutant monster thingamajig himself. Looking back, it makes Revenge of Queen Worm function as a bit of foreshadowing, where you have the happy familial person/monster relationship that's still going haywire since one of them wants to kill the other but only to bring them closer together. Jesus.

And THE HELL IS WITH ALL THIS rear end? So... she's nude. Yeah yeah, in the final few scenes you can see that Eriko has nipple band-aids and a small scrap of underwear that is apparently held on purely by force of will, but my criteria for what nude is is whatever will get me arrested if I wear it to a little league game. Also, I could've done without the giant rear end exhibit forcibly pooping.

It's a weird, weird game, there isn't anything out there like it and likely never will be. My only complaint is that the combat is really dated, but it's pretty easy to get out of and doesn't harshen the whole experience that much.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

They certainly don't make games like Illbleed anymore :corsair:

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010
So I'm heading to my local retro store in a bit and I was curious. When last I was there, they had a Neo Geo CD system in there priced at $200. I didn't look that closely at the time, so I'm not sure I'd it was a top loader CD, or the CDZ, but I'm tempted to use some store credit I have towards it. Am I mistaken in thinking 200 would be way too much for a standard CD system, but a decent deal for the CDZ?

Baldrash
Oct 26, 2005

Edison Carter posted:

So I'm heading to my local retro store in a bit and I was curious. When last I was there, they had a Neo Geo CD system in there priced at $200. I didn't look that closely at the time, so I'm not sure I'd it was a top loader CD, or the CDZ, but I'm tempted to use some store credit I have towards it. Am I mistaken in thinking 200 would be way too much for a standard CD system, but a decent deal for the CDZ?

Unless you're a crazy Neo-Geo fan, you should probably avoid the CD-based systems in general. The game selection is kind of poor, and the loading times are pretty bad, even on the CDZ. The CDZ also apparently has issues with overheating that can cause damage to the console.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Does anyone have any experience with a gamecube style stick in an N64 controller?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Bead art is going to crazy levels.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Baldrash posted:

Unless you're a crazy Neo-Geo fan, you should probably avoid the CD-based systems in general. The game selection is kind of poor, and the loading times are pretty bad, even on the CDZ. The CDZ also apparently has issues with overheating that can cause damage to the console.

This is a great example of the load times on the CD systems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u-tp2f_Pt8

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Harlock posted:

Bead art is going to crazy levels.

I want it :stare:

Risky
May 18, 2003

I wouldn't want to be reminded of one of the saddest parts of FFIV :smith:

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Risky posted:

I wouldn't want to be reminded of one of the saddest parts of FFIV :smith:

That doesn't look like losing Yang and getting stuck with Edge the rest of the game.

Armack
Jan 27, 2006

juliuspringle posted:

Does anyone have any experience with a gamecube style stick in an N64 controller?

Yes, I had this modification done on two N64 controllers and I LOVE the result. I highly recommend Gamecube joysticks in N64 controllers.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Unless something has changed, the gamecube style sticks have issues with resolution / reporting directions (tends to skip steps when moving from the center of the area outward).

This is like the fifth time it has come around in this thread so if I could just direct you to click the ? next to my post, you can look at the videos and see the solution.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I got a Genesis 3 for $4 and it doesn't do anything :saddowns:

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

ACID POLICE posted:

That's probably for the best.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

ACID POLICE posted:

Dodged a bullet.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

ACID POLICE posted:

Did you put Virtua Racing in it? :smug:

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
I hate all of you.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

ACID POLICE posted:

Working as intended.

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

zenintrude posted:

Working as intended.

Saw a pile of boxed Virtual Boy import games today, thought of you, thought I might take some pictures... Then remembered you're a dick, and didn't... :D

So I guess I dodged a bullet. They sold the Neo Geo CD. Almost picked up a Sega CD, but didn't since they didn't really have any games I was interested in. I find myself REALLY wanting to get some new stuff lately, and having absolutely no idea what to actually get. It makes for a frustrating trip to the game store.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

ACID POLICE posted:

That's the beauty of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Edison Carter posted:

Saw a pile of boxed Virtual Boy import games today, thought of you, thought I might take some pictures... Then remembered you're a dick, and didn't... :D

This stings man :(

• Locked thread