Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apt Funk
Nov 2, 2012
VVVVVV V-Rank Time Trials

In this bimonthly update, we take on The Laboratory. (Sorry these have been taking so long, I promise the next will be out quicker.)

Next up is the last V-rank of the game, The Final Level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Kid Chameleon - Part 15: Five-Pronged Fork

We've reached the final Stage of the game, aptly named "Chaos Maze." This Stage is almost entirely non-linear, and enough wrong turns will have you doubling or even tripling the total levels you visit.

Diamond Edge/Elsewhere 17/18

Scorpion Isle/The Hills Have Eyes/Elsewhere 22

Elsewhere 19/Towers of Blood/Elsewhere 20 (non-canon)

Most of the time, taking the flag is shortest way to get through Stage 4. However, very few levels have flags, so you'll usually be making gambles on which warp warps where. Luckily, Diamond Edge is the worst this Stage gets, and from that point on it's usually only a two-warp choice. Most of the time the wrong warp is just a dead end.

There are almost as many Elsewheres as named levels in Stage 4. 15 against 18. They're also tougher to get through than they have been. Taking the "Elsewhere 17" fork is dangerous because of the destructible stairs you have to hop up (and Clouds harassing you, because the level wasn't being mean enough). You get a few lives for your efforts, but you might lose more than you gain.

I've never seen hitting one Orca and another one nearby getting damaged too like in the Elsewhere 18 video. My guess is the Orca I was jumping on was the only one rendered at the time, and its data overlapped onto the second one when it wandered onscreen. I could be wrong since I don't know programming.

Scorpion Isle always reminded me of being in the middle of a zoo of monsters. Scorpions and Rams patrol the upper and lower areas, which are like cages and pens, and they're roaming all over the place through hidden tunnels. The loot is all in dangerous spots save for the first 10-diamond prize. The warp at the end was one of my least favorite parts; the Scorpion will attack you until you warp, and if you're hurting you're gonna die if you don't move or time the warp better.

Elsewhere 19 is another vile level. Like Cliffs of Illusion, you need to keep the mask the level is designed around or restart.

Towers of Blood is packed with enemies, and them coming out of the woodwork could strip you of your HP if you're not careful.

The Hills Have Eyes is one of only two places in Stage 4 where you can get Knight, so save your diamonds for this level and stock up on HP while you still can.

Elsewhere 22 sucks. The Orbs can get in the way of Arrow Block fire, so you could wind up taking hits because of their tomfoolery. The far right warp goes to Alien Twilight, but that can be reached through the "Elsewhere 19" fork.

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 18, 2013

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

PRL412 posted:

I love that game and I haven't beaten Stage 4.

On normal. :(

:(:hf::(

Zeikier, I refuse to believe that Kid Chameleon was released without some form of save or password system. There's no way the designers expected people to beat it in one sitting. It's just not plausible.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Hedera Helix posted:

Zeikier, I refuse to believe that Kid Chameleon was released without some form of save or password system. There's no way the designers expected people to beat it in one sitting. It's just not plausible.

There was a save system...in the compilation re-releases about a decade and a half later. :smuggo:

While KC's length is absurd, very few levels last longer than a minute when played by quick-witted players (even then most of the levels are pretty simple where wits factor less into the equation). Longer levels are few and far between, although there are some levels that can and will trip you up that slow things down.

Still, making it through this game in one sitting is an investment, since your abilities won't be spread evenly since you visit the later levels much less often. Kid Chameleon just is.

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 13, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
One thing to keep in mind is that there's a special warp about four levels into the game that takes you to the second half. Its requirements are obscure (If I recall correctly, you have to get 100k points before completing Under Skull Mountain or something like that), but if you can manage to figure it out then you can skip all the easy levels and get right into the meat of things. Of course, you won't have many spare lives or continues...

EDIT: VVVVVV yeah, that's many NES/SNES-era games for you. Lots and lots of trial and error. How else were you supposed to make your $50 (~$90 in today's dollars) last?

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 13, 2013

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I'm not sure how a kid was supposed to figure KC out before losing patience completely. You cannot tell what's in the power up blocks or where hidden blocks are or where any of the warps lead by just looking. You have to go by trial and error the first time and then remember the ins and outs of a hundred levels.

What I'm saying is the gameplay's kind of interesting but it's not the best designed game from a playability perspective.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

One thing to keep in mind is that there's a special warp about four levels into the game that takes you to the second half. Its requirements are obscure (If I recall correctly, you have to get 100k points before completing Under Skull Mountain or something like that), but if you can manage to figure it out then you can skip all the easy levels and get right into the meat of things. Of course, you won't have many spare lives or continues...

Yeah, guess I shoulda given that feature more fanfare than I did.

The 100K Trip

You need to get 60,000 points by Highwater Pass 2, where you take the Elsewhere warp to find Cyclone and get those four 10,000 prize blocks nestled in a high alcove in Under Skull Mountain 1.

You get that light show pictured, and are flung to Woods of Despair 1. You lose your mask, and your score is bumped up to 1,000,001. You also miss any loot until that point so you only have a few lives and continues. The game expects you to be good enough to both get that skip AND handle the second half of the game without many lives.

It's at least simple enough to stumble on by accident from constant replaying of the first part of the game.

But yeah, the game was designed under the assumption that people would be patient enough to scour entire levels for loot, but by the time the loot really starts picking up players just aren't patient enough to deal with that all the time. Finding it all is just bragging rights instead of beneficial to survival.

EDIT: Speaking of game design sadism, the Unofficial KC Wiki has a few custom levels by some of the mods there. I'm almost tempted to give those a look after the main game is complete. :shepface:

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 13, 2013

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
In this update Taneo's chapter gets cut one minigame short because it was too hard to translate.

Taneo, Chapter 3

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

There is one mini-game I couldn't beat alone because it required constant button smashing and dodging obstacles so I had to get a friend to co-op it with. Though this was ~10 years ago so I'm sure my smashing skills have improved since then.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
That stupid boat minigame. I remember destroying my fingers because that thing takes forever to beat, so I hope you enjoyed it this time around.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Chip Cheezum posted:

In this update Taneo's chapter gets cut one minigame short because it was too hard to translate.

Taneo, Chapter 3

Looking it up, it looks like the cut game had the guys outside the window holding up signs giving you the button pressing directions to diffuse a bomb, with the directions getting less and less clear as you continue on. The other cut game I'm not quite sure I understand just from looking at it, it looks like a bad knock-off of Parappa to me.

The thing I remember most about this game was how one day G4 did for an episode of Cinematech a re-edit of the cut scenes of the game so they're all in chronological order, hopping from one narrative to the next, so the whole story was presented cohesively.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Kid Chameleon - Part 16: We Want You to Hate Aliens

These are the next few levels in the Towers of Blood path. These levels have all been nonlinear and not very interesting and we stumble back onto the main path. This is just bonus material since the run I decide to use for continuing is the Scorpion Isle path.

The Crypt/Elsewhere 21 (non-canon)

Alien Twilight (non-canon)

[timg]http://lpix.org/1330077/KCrocks.avi_snapshot_00.59_[2013.07.17_01.43.53].png[/timg]
Secrets in the Rocks/Elsewhere 23 (canon)

The Crypt has some interesting challenges; Aliens in tight quarters and some tricky areas when you don't have Micromax. It's best to have your diamond powers going to neutralize the threats. The Elsewhere is a thorough waste of time, but it does set you up to rake in tons of bonuses.

Alien Twilight can be dusted off in seconds. Besides the 10-diamonds, there is nothing keeping you from donning Red and jumping into the sewers to warp to Secrets in the Rocks. Besides the UFO's getting above you and killing you. That green panel Max walks through is noted to be a visual bug since normally you go behind hidden paths, but I think it's part of the building that just lacks something to obscure you, like a light or translucent surface.

Secrets in the Rocks can be cleared in under 10 seconds, which I would if the warp run wasn't the main run. I needs my loot. I didn't realize the sewers in Alien Twilight were big enough to hold a second warp to the upper level of Secrets until recently. Taking the flag skips a huge chunk of levels, but we'll have none of that.

Sadly, It wasn't feasible to have Berz ram all four Rams in Elsewhere 23. :saddowns:

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 17, 2013

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
You keep saying that this part is canon or isn't. If it wouldn't be too hard, could you add a c or C after the video link of the ones that are?

Edit: for clarification.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Major_JF posted:

You keep saying that this part is canon or isn't. If it wouldn't be too hard, could you add a c or C after the video link of the ones that are?

Edit: for clarification.

Added it. Something like that?

Of course, after this point the rest of the videos are all part of one path. :v:

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Thanks.
What I was hoping for was to be able to go back through your main post following the canon run.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Meaty Ore posted:

Very nice. I've got a cartridge copy of this game, but unfortunately its graphics are glitched out horribly. A shame, since this really is the best 8-bit Castlevania game. :sigh:

I just tried firing up my copy of CVIII about half an hour ago, and the graphics still seemed to be glitched. However, the oddest drat thing happened. Normally on a US NES you insert the cartridge, press down on the caddy and turn on the NES to play. On a whim, I pressed on the caddy again while playing (moving it into the "up" position, where games should not be playable), and the graphical glitches cleared right up, allowing me to play this game normally for the first time. What the hell?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

...you played an NES game with the cartridge not pushed in? What?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Meaty Ore posted:

I just tried firing up my copy of CVIII about half an hour ago, and the graphics still seemed to be glitched. However, the oddest drat thing happened. Normally on a US NES you insert the cartridge, press down on the caddy and turn on the NES to play. On a whim, I pressed on the caddy again while playing (moving it into the "up" position, where games should not be playable), and the graphical glitches cleared right up, allowing me to play this game normally for the first time. What the hell?

Normally when you do that the game starts glitching out, not stops. I'm guessing there's a misaligned contact somewhere in there.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Meaty Ore posted:

Leave the caddy up. While the NES is flashing on and off, wiggle the cartridge around until the title screen shows up clearly. Then just press reset and it should work perfectly. Works for most (if not all) games.

Deargodalion
Jun 27, 2011

Something clever.
Lipstick Apathy
When we were younger whatever held the game in the "down" position was broken, so we had to stack games on top of each other in order to play them.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Meaty Ore posted:

If you have a well-kept NES, pushing the cartridge down actually ruins the contacts over time, which is why NES systems are pretty commonly busted. If it works by just pushing it in, it's actually a good idea to never push the cartridge down.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
That makes no sense, because I'd always forget to press down the cartridge and it would never work. Or I'd accidentally press it and it would come up, and that would make it stop working too.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Major_JF posted:

Thanks.
What I was hoping for was to be able to go back through your main post following the canon run.

My OP should have the non-canon runs marked by now. :toot:

Kid Chameleon - Part 17: Dozens Of Rooms You'll Never Use

We're taking the long way to Ice God's Vengeance. Mostly straightforward albeit overwhelming levels.

Tunnels Beneath the Woods/Elsewhere 24

Hills of Forever/Elsewhere 25

Monster Island/Elsewhere 26

Tunnels Beneath the Woods has an interesting exploration gimmick I guess, but I feel no incentive to explore even if I didn't already know where the loot was. The Clouds make this level more frustrating.

Elsewhere 24 is dangerous. If you try to crawl to the far left warp, which goes to Monster Island, there's a risk of being cornered by the Drill. It's a cramped, unsafe level that's better skipped.

Hills of Forever has a nasty elevator into double-layered ghost blocks before the exit if you're clumsy enough to end up underground. The hidden room is obvious if you're paying attention but still pretty crazy; another secret I only just found out about. This is the last chance to use Knight's Extra HP power. The designers overestimated the poo poo out of a player's ability to tolerate so many slow, precise jumps over those drill blocks.

By the time you get to those hidden Juggernaut masks in Elsewhere 25 you might be on your last hit point as Jug. Because he crouches against the ceiling, losing his form while hitting those arrow blocks will crush you since you revert back to being two blocks tall.

Monster Island is all about running. There are tons of annoying enemies, and the wealth of prizes taunt you. Ninjas are very crafty enemies, only taking damage from diamond powers or Juggernaut's assault. They block axes, most jumps, and leap over Berserker. Gotta hand it to those bastards. I forgot entirely about Jug's diamond power here. :saddowns:

Elsewhere 26 is aggressively useless. No loot, takes forever, but that overly cautious Crab is amusing.

While there won't be a full-on Skycutter exhibition, you'll get an eyeful of why he's an awful broken mask next video.

Tsym
Dec 30, 2012

Darius Gaiden Zones F and J

Things that I didn't comment on because I got distracted by other things:
Holy crap is the background for Folding Fan trippy and is the music for that fight really odd. I don't even know why they made those aesthetic choices for this fight... But I don't know if I really care. At this point in my attempts in this game, I have actually nearly completely tuned that background out so I forgot about it until I was reviewing the video.

Also it might be somewhat weird to see because of the 30 FPS that Youtube forces me down to, but after they are killed, the spinning Red-Green-Blue bubbles that Neon Light Illusion shoots out just create these stationary white bullets that block your shots. They're basically just there to pretty clearly tell you "don't run around him anymore".

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

The thing about Darius Gaiden is that it starts to throw a ton of bullets at you later in the game, but you don't have the minuscule hit box that you get in, say, a Cave game. Things get very cramped, very fast, and if you don't manage your shields properly you're gonna die over and over and over and over and

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

quote:

"The date was December 25th 1987. I can clearly remember the day. As a young 7 year old I eagerly awaited what was to come on this snowy white Christmas day. As I opened my presents and came to the last one I couldn't help but be slightly disappointed. As I opened the final gift all the disappointment was replaced with feelings of joy! There is was; a brand new copy of Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! for the Nintendo Entertainment system. The game had been released just two months prior and had already become a huge hit. Toys R Us, the main videogame retailer at the time could not keep copies in stock and I had been getting burned out on Super Mario Brothers and felt it was time for a change. I played the game almost religiously over the next several months. The first thing that I remember after playing it was how great the graphics were and the comedic relief that came with each unique character. It simply does not get much better than Glass Joe's hilarious introduction or Super Macho Man's peck dance, and who could forget the iconic Mario as the referee. It seemed I just couldn't get enough of this game despite getting knocked out by the pixelated version of Mike Tyson over and over again. After weeks of trying I, finally, was able to get a clear technical knockout over Tyson in the third round, and as a youngster I of course felt on top of the world. It is safe to say that in 1987 Mike Tyson had become the biggest star in all of sports. In the 25 years since, I have seen Tyson become the youngest unified world heavyweight champion in history and the richest prize fighter ever at the height of his career. Only to later see him sink and hit rock bottom. He was even replaced by a character named Mr. Dream when Punch-Out!! was re-released in 1990. Throughout all of this I never stopped being a Mike Tyson fan and I never forgot about my own battles with the pixelated version. Unfortunately I no longer own my original copy of the game from 1987, however I repurchased the game in 2003 from a local game store after reading posts on a website called gamefaqs. The posts talked about a new strategy that was discovered to TKO Mike Tyson in the first round by original Punch-Out!! master Tom Roth. In the years since, I rededicated myself to the game, I made many new discoveries and was fortunate enough to achieve goals I never thought were possible. It is hard to believe that it has been 25 years since the release of the game and with the release of Punch-Out!! on the wii in 2009 the series shows no sign of slowing down. [...] one of the greatest videogames ever created; whether you like in depth strategies, youtube videos, are a fan or Tyson or even if you've never played the game. [...] I encourage anyone who has not played this game to give it a try whether it be on the original NES, wii [virtual console], or personal computer. Remember, above all else to have fun with this game, and that Mike Tyson is waiting for your challenge!"

- Matt Turk 2013
God gamer of Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! who developed the vast majority of the strategies and holds many of the world records. This quote is unpublished and was dictated, not read, from the forward of Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! Encyclopedia.

Hey guys in case you didn't know I love playing MTPO. Essentially it's a sports game where you play as Little Mac and with the help of your coach and mentor Doc Lewis, rise to the top of the World Virtual Boxing Association.

My goal with this LP is to show off everything I possibly can. The hard, and the stuff that anyone could do. Basically I have a lot of challenges I wish to accomplish in this game, but while I train to do those, I will make informative videos for each fight. My updates will consist mainly of information, secondary resources, challenges, attempts at personal best times, and bloopers.

There will be bloopers because this is all going to be done live. I don't make LPs much but I love to stream. This method will provide authenticity for my TAS (placeholder joke, prepare to get). It will also provide live chat which will be overlaid on top of the game. consistently strive for improvments in the a/v quality with each update.

And with that please sit back, and enjoy the fingerspeed!

Videos and Resources

*Intro Video*
This is what the intro is parodying, note the upload date
The original TASvideo by Master Phred that Amir Muhammadi used
We will dive more deeply into TASvideos and cheaters as the LP develops.

LP Updates (All youtube)

Glass Joe attempts #1
Glass Joe attempts #2, Von Kaiser attempts #1, and the Clock Stopping Glitch
Von Kaiser Personal Best - 37.48
Von Kaiser attempts #2 and Piston Honda 1 attempts #1
Piston Honda 1 Personal Best - 49.00
Glass Joe Personal Best - 42.00
Honda 1 attempts #2 and Don Flamenco 1 attempts #1
Don Flamenco 1 Personal Best - 14.97
Don Flamenco 1 attempts #2 and King Hippo attempts #1

Speeddemosarchive videos and youtube guides (SDA videos have audio commentary on track 2 if you download them and play through VLC)
Zallard1's video explaining how to beat Glass Joe 100% of the time. (youtube)
Sinisterwon's Glass Joe IL(SDA)
Sinisterwon's Von Kaiser IL (SDA)
Sinisterwon's Piston Honda 1 IL (SDA)
Zallard1's video explaining how to get the frame perfect star on Don Flamenco 1 100% of the time (youtube)
Sinisterwon's Don Flamenco IL (SDA)
Adelikat's King Hippo IL (SDA)

TASvideos Written Submissions and Videos by Adelikat
Glass Joe
Von Kaiser
Piston Honda 1
King Hippo

RedTom's Punch-Out!! Page
Glass Joe
Von Kaiser
Piston Honda 1
Don Flamenco 1
King Hippo

Danzel Glovington fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 21, 2013

Hamilcar
Oct 18, 2012
Oh, hey! It's up now!
Definitely going to be following this.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Alright! I've been waiting for the Danzel's MTPO LP. As one of the many who semi-regularly cheer Danzel on in his streams, (and one of the many who helped convince him to do this) I can say for sure he's the right man for the job, as he's able to explain WHY he's good at the game, to the extent that I honestly think I'm better at the game just for watching and listening to his "lessons". Definitely looking forward to the rest of the LP.

Also, isn't it true that on an emulator the frame data isn't accurate? I seem to recall hearing that.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

Choco you're gonna make me tear up.

I'll obviously try to cover as much as I can in the videos, but I'll answer your question now as it ties into the most commonly asked: "Is this console or emulator."

I USE CONSOLE that's why the snowy static is shown before the game loads up and anyone who is even semi-serious about this game plays on console as well. The frame data is no different on emulator, meaning that the TAS can indeed be replicated, as long as the same versions of the game are being run, all TAS times can TECHNICALLY be replicated.

The reason nobody can play on emulator is because the inputs required are so precise that no possible usb port or bluetooth can read it fast enough. It requires the 72-pin connection which can practically detect an input with analog precision (I also play on an analog TV for the same reason, playing using an NES on flatscreens, LCDs, or HDTVs of any kind results in an even greater input delay than playing on emulator). Any sort of input delay whatsoever in this game makes many portions of the game impossible for human players.

Keep in mind I have no programming experience or knowledge of technology. My opinions are based on observation and casual research. If anyone has a way of explaining what I'm trying to in a more concise or accurate way, I implore them to correct and enlighten me.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
So far as I'm aware, the only inaccuracies in terms of timing when it comes to emulators (unless you're using a really crappy emulator, anyway) is that some emulators with built-in encoding software output movies that run at exactly 60FPS, while the NES actually runs at something like 60.01FPS.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

Right, but it's not even for TASing purposes, even when not using the recorder on the emulator the input delay persists. Again I'm very interested in things like how emulators encode the frames, and whether they do it accurately. Keep posted for when I do more research in the RAM files (or look at research others have done) and see if I can find a definite explanation.

An interesting fact is that this game has been TAS'd since the early 2000s when Nesticle was the only emulator usable. Currently Nesticle does not run on Windows 7 machines, and I have been completely unable to watch the TASvideos made on Nesticle directly through the emulators like I would a TAS made in a modern emulator. These video files are publicly available but again cannot all be viewed because I cannot get Nesticle to work, including some movies made by Matt Turk himself. These files might give me more insight into the game and if someone would like to know more and possibly be able to access and reproduce these videos, I would appreciate a private message on my twitch account at https://www.twitch.tv/danzel_glvoington and I can provide download links for these files and advice on how you might help me see them.

You will have to register a free account to send me a message, I know this is unorthodox but the situation kind of is as well.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Danzel Glovington posted:

An interesting fact is that this game has been TAS'd since the early 2000s when Nesticle was the only emulator usable. Currently Nesticle does not run on Windows 7 machines, and I have been completely unable to watch the TASvideos made on Nesticle directly through the emulators like I would a TAS made in a modern emulator. These video files are publicly available but again cannot all be viewed because I cannot get Nesticle to work, including some movies made by Matt Turk himself. These files might give me more insight into the game and if someone would like to know more and possibly be able to access and reproduce these videos, I would appreciate a private message on my twitch account at https://www.twitch.tv/danzel_glvoington and I can provide download links for these files and advice on how you might help me see them.

This is going to sound a bit strange I guess, but have you tried dosbox, since NESticle is a dos program? I'm pretty sure it works flawlessly in dosbox, and then you can use dosbox's avi recorder or fraps to make a nice avi from it.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

OK I've played a bit more MTPO and made another video:

Episode 2: Glass Joe attempts #2, Von Kaiser attempts #1, and the Clock Stopping Glitch!
Von Kaiser Personal Best - 37.48

These links can further explain the stuff I mention in the video but don't show off. Sinisterwon's videos from speed demos archive are extremely well crafted and have commentary that discusses the strategies used.

TASvideos strategy guide for Glass Joe by Adelikat (Includes cs strategy, "Joe's TKO")
Sinisterwon's IL for Glass Joe - KO Flare
Sinisterwon's IL for Von Kaiser - Kaiser's Casualty Extreme
RedTom's Strategy guide for Von Kaiser including the now outdated strategy, "Kaiser's Casualty" by Matt Turk.

To hear the commentary for the IL (individual level) videos you need to switch audio to track 2 so I always right-click save link and use VLC.

I've also revamped the OP so the links are easier to find if you happen to be looking at it.

Tonight I plan to do live stream attempts of the KO Flare strategy on Glass Joe.

Danzel Glovington fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 23, 2013

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Kid Chameleon - Part 18: Grief In Troves

The game finally gives you a reason to carry some masks across levels, and hits us with some of its worst tricks.

Ice God's Vengeance/Beneath the Twisted Hills/Elsewhere 27

The Shimmering Caves/Elsewhere 28/29

Alien Isle/The Land Below/Elsewhere 30

Alien Islegit

I used to hate Ice God's Vengeance, but looking back it's mostly just precise platforming that cushions out considerably after that first section. Not that you'd know cuz if you came here from Monster Island you can reverse gravity and spit in this level's eyes. They're kind of bastards where they put the loot.

Out of everything I've done, both getting all the loot in Beneath the Twisted Hills and keeping Max's HP over 2 were the most frustrating things I've done in this game. He moves so much slower and jumps lower than the others, there's very little if any room for error in those first jumps.

The Shimmering Caves has another interesting hitbox quirk like the Archers do. If you shoot those Hopping Skulls with an arrow from the Arrow Blocks, if the hit registers (they get stuck and grunt a lot) then if you're airborne you'll bounce as if you jumped on them. I guess that's some sort of programming shortcut they took?

Shimmering Caves is the trove level we've been looking for. However, Max is the one who collects it all, so here's hoping you can keep him alive til the end. From this level and Beneath the Twisted Hills you're collecting, among other things, 120,000 points in prizes.

Elsewhere 28 is simple but a little frustrating if those drat Mini Skulls start getting frisky. Every Elsewhere is comprised of 4 screens, arranged in different ways. 28 for example is 4 screens tall, 1 screen wide, and 29 is 2x2.

Alien Isle is definitely my candidate for worst level. Right off the bat a UFO is (usually) on your rear end and you need to move. Both paths that lead here give you a mask with which to cheese this level (Max from Beneath [or Vengeance, rather], and Cyclone from Elsewhere 28 in Shimmering Caves). However, if you don't have those masks, then this level is a platforming nightmare. You must avoid UFO fire while the elevators counts. atop moving platforms, and then you get to repeat the process two more times or even more if you're unlucky. There's no shame in just cheesing this hell of a level.

The Land Below is kinda boring, with one more fork in case you missed those or don't like things to be over already.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Wait, have you been playing Kid Chameleon with a keyboard this whole time? :stare:

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Slimnoid posted:

Wait, have you been playing Kid Chameleon with a keyboard this whole time? :stare:

Bingo. One with ghosting, no less (only allowing 3 or so keys being held at once). :shepface:

At this point I don't think a controller would have made Beneath the Twisted Hills' loot jumps any less bullshit.

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 24, 2013

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Zeikier posted:

Bingo. One with ghosting, no less (only allowing 3 or so keys being held at once). :shepface:

At this point I don't think a controller would have made Beneath the Twisted Hills' loot jumps any less bullshit.

Man, that's nuts! Are you doing it as some sort of self-imposed challenge, or do you not have a USB controller?

Lexical Unit
Sep 16, 2003

Zeikier posted:

You're absolutely mad. I used to play this game all the time as a kid and I don't think I've seen even half of the stuff you've demonstrated in your let's play. Fantastic job!

An artist friend did some sketch work a while back related to Kid Chameleon just for fun. He only got as far as the tank and maniaxe before he found some actually paying work though. I love the game so I figure'd I'd share:

Lexical Unit fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 24, 2013

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Slimnoid posted:

Man, that's nuts! Are you doing it as some sort of self-imposed challenge, or do you not have a USB controller?

Force of habit. I have a controller, but it's less cumbersome just using the keyboard on the laptop.

EDIT:

Lexical Unit posted:

You're absolutely mad. I used to play this game all the time as a kid and I don't think I've seen even half of the stuff you're demonstrated in your let's play. Fantastic job!

An artist friend did some sketch work a while back related to Kid Chameleon just for fun. He only got as far as the tank and maniaxe before he found some actually paying work though. I love the game so I figure'd I'd share:

Holy drat, that's some awesome stuff! It's cool seeing people with artistic chops taking a crack at this game. Woulda liked to see his take on some other beasties.

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Someone has found a special secret in Rockman 4MI. You get it if you can manage to get to the end of Rockman 4MI without taking damage.

• Locked thread