Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

RMZXAnarchy posted:

IIRC you only have to be weary about the 50hz poo poo on the Wii U. 3DS games are all the US versions.

If by "US versions" you mean the refresh rate is tuned back to the original 60hz like it was designed in the first place, then yes. Otherwise no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

RMZXAnarchy posted:

IIRC you only have to be weary about the 50hz poo poo on the Wii U. 3DS games are all the US versions.

It's specifically not the US version because it's Street Gangs rather than River City Ransom. Like if Tecmo put up Shadow Warriors instead of Ninja Gaiden.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Box of Bunnies posted:

It's specifically not the US version because it's Street Gangs rather than River City Ransom. Like if Tecmo put up Shadow Warriors instead of Ninja Gaiden.

And that would be just as stupid as only releasing Street Gangs and not River City- oh, dang. :(

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Why is the DSiWare game Minis March Again the same price as the 3DS download game Minis on the Move :eng99:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Why is the DSiWare game Minis March Again the same price as the 3DS download game Minis on the Move :eng99:

Probably because it was always that price and they just haven't changed it when the new game came out.

Or did you want a sarcastic answer?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Mercury Crusader posted:

Probably because it was always that price and they just haven't changed it when the new game came out.

Or did you want a sarcastic answer?

Well my implication was more that games shouldn't stay the same price for so long that it's the same price as its successor at the same time

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Well my implication was more that games shouldn't stay the same price for so long that it's the same price as its successor at the same time

Nintendo has never understood this concept.

That's why Mario Galaxy 1 was still $50 when Mario Galaxy 2 came out, at least until it was put in the Nintendo Selects label.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Nintendo has never understood this concept.

That's why Mario Galaxy 1 was still $50 when Mario Galaxy 2 came out, at least until it was put in the Nintendo Selects label.

It's worse in Australia, NSMB and NSMB2 are both $60 in most places despite being from two different console generations.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

AngryCaterpillar posted:

It's worse in Australia, NSMB and NSMB2 are both $60 in most places despite being from two different console generations.

Yeah, and some of the first party DS games that are still available here like SM64DS or Mario Kart DS are still full priced at $30 at most places.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is the Shantae GBC game still worth playing in the year of our Lord 2013 or should I just buy Risky's Revenge?

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

RichterIX posted:

Is the Shantae GBC game still worth playing in the year of our Lord 2013 or should I just buy Risky's Revenge?

It's pretty solid overall. The enemies kind of take a lot of hits to kill, and the bosses are all pushovers, but it's a fun way to spend 7-10 hours. It's not worth $2,000 USD, but it's definitely worth $5. Risky's Revenge is faster and handles A LOT better, but it's significantly shorter and poses few real challenges throughout the game.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

How common are sales/price drops on full retail games on the eshop (in NA/Canada)? I've got that $30 credit that I'm really tempted to put on Art Academy, but I'm always worried about getting something right before it gets a discount. It does look like most of the games that have had sales are the eshop-exclusive titles though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I would probably say that permanent price drops on retail games wouldn't happen just because the brick and mortar dealers wouldn't like it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Armor-Piercing posted:

How common are sales/price drops on full retail games on the eshop (in NA/Canada)? I've got that $30 credit that I'm really tempted to put on Art Academy, but I'm always worried about getting something right before it gets a discount. It does look like most of the games that have had sales are the eshop-exclusive titles though.

First-party retail downloads very rarely go on sale, and I don't think there's ever been a permanent price drop for any first-party eShop game.

Art Academy is something you could probably find for much less at retail.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Art Academy is exactly the kind of title that I want a digital copy of though, and it's actually on the eshop unlike Nintendogs, Theatrhythm, Rhythm Thief, etc.

Availability is probably going to kill this strategy, but I'd like to stick to getting physical copies of RPGs and other games I'd play one at a time (especially if they have limited edition stuff like SMTIV), and digital for all of the games I'd play in short bursts.

I guess if I'm already going to be paying a small premium on digital titles though, I might as well not hesitate because of something so unlikely. If I cared that much, then like you say, I should just get a physical copy.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Armor-Piercing posted:

Not often, and I've only seen it on third party titles. I've only seen three retail titles go on sale - Soul Hackers, RE: Revelations, and currently Code of Princess.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Armor-Piercing posted:

Art Academy is exactly the kind of title that I want a digital copy of though, and it's actually on the eshop unlike Nintendogs, Theatrhythm, Rhythm Thief, etc.

Availability is probably going to kill this strategy, but I'd like to stick to getting physical copies of RPGs and other games I'd play one at a time (especially if they have limited edition stuff like SMTIV), and digital for all of the games I'd play in short bursts.

I guess if I'm already going to be paying a small premium on digital titles though, I might as well not hesitate because of something so unlikely. If I cared that much, then like you say, I should just get a physical copy.

You can buy eShop codes for a bunch of first-party games from Amazon/Best Buy, too, if you wanna go that route. They're much more likely to do discounts than the eShop, but you have to buy the codes with real money (or coupons or whatever) so your $30 eShop credit won't be any good.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

WorldWarWonderful posted:

Not often, and I've only seen it on third party titles. I've only seen three retail titles go on sale - Soul Hackers, RE: Revelations, and currently Code of Princess.

In Europe Virtue's Last Reward got a permanent price cut, and older games tend to have a lower price when they're first put onto the eShop. Hence Bit.Trip Saga for £18.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Which was the decent-ish Game Gear RPG which came out on the VC recently? I'm thinking of splurging on Petit Computer and a few other things.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Word of warning for PAL Wii U dudes - the Pikmin 3/Wonderful 101 promotion only works if you buy Pikmin 3 directly from the eShop, apparently; if you buy a digital code from GAME or whatever it doesn't count. Lame.

irlZaphod posted:

Which was the decent-ish Game Gear RPG which came out on the VC recently? I'm thinking of splurging on Petit Computer and a few other things.

Shining Force II: Sword of Hajya and/or Defenders of Oasis.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Apparently, Myst got its price reduced to $5 in the NA eShop. No way for me to confirm from here.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's not even worth that much. The port is even worse than the DS version.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
And it's Myst anyway.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

If I were to buy one of the Game Gear Sonic games, what'd be my best option?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

BKPR posted:

Don't.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Sonic Triple Trouble is probably the best one there, but I'd recommend you look at them solely from a historical perspective because dear lord they have not aged well.*

*Sunset Park Act 3 in Triple Trouble notwithstanding, thanks to its great audio track.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

BKPR posted:

The first one isn't very Sonic-y but it is a pretty decent platformer all the same, so probably that.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

BKPR posted:

Buying a copy of Sonic Adventure DX for like ten bucks used (for the GC, the 360/PC versions don't have them) and playing through enough of the game to unlock a couple of Game Gear games to satiate your curiosity.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

BKPR posted:

The genesis version of Sonic is getting the 3D classic treatment soon and I'd recommend you wait for that.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

BKPR posted:

Buy something else. And I say that as someone who loves both Master System Sonic games. They tried to use too big a sprite so you can barely see poo poo coming up ahead. If you are dead set on a Game Gear Sonic though Triple Trouble is probably the "best".

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot
Aside from being the best Game Gear Sonic game, Triple Trouble is also a really good game by itself.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's not even worth that much. The port is even worse than the DS version.
I dunno how you would mess up a portable port of a 20 year old game that you would think would be perfect on a system with a touchscreen. :psyduck:

Pope Guilty posted:

And it's Myst anyway.
I played through the first game not too long ago and I thought it was alright. I agree it hasn't aged well, but it is kinda neat to play something that's considered somewhat revolutionary. :shobon:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
You'd think they'd pick realMyst with the realtime 3D environment instead of the prerendered 2D-static pictures. Oh well.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Word of warning for PAL Wii U dudes - the Pikmin 3/Wonderful 101 promotion only works if you buy Pikmin 3 directly from the eShop, apparently; if you buy a digital code from GAME or whatever it doesn't count. Lame.

Shining Force II: Sword of Hajya and/or Defenders of Oasis.
Yeah I'd forgotten about Shining Force. :negative: Guess I'll be buying a ton of stuff. I got Petit Computer, Shantae and Mean Bean Machine last night.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

The best Game Gear Sonic Metroid? game is Tails Adventure.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
From the Nintendo UK Twitter: "We regret to announce that Flipnote Studio 3D will be delayed in Europe, as we try to provide the best possible service. We apologise for any inconvenience caused and hope to announce a new Flipnote Studio 3D launch date as soon as possible."

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of August 1):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Turbo: Super Stunt Squad - €44.99
    Funky Barn (permanent price reduction) - €14.99 / £14.99
WII U eSHOP
    Cloudberry Kingdom - €9.99 / £7.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Harvest Moon (SNES) €7.99 / £5.49
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Buy Pikmin 3 on the eShop, get Wonderful 101 on the eShop for 30% off! - ends September 21
    Buy any three Panorama View tours, get the fourth free! - ends August 8
    Nano Assault Neo (Wii U eShop) - €6.99 / £6.29 from August 1-15
    Puddle (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until August 1
    Donkey Kong (NES VC Trial Campaign) - €0.30 / £0.30 until August 13

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Turbo: Super Stunt Squad - €39.99
3DS eSHOP
    10-in-1: Arcade Collection - €1.99 / £1.79
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    New Art Academy (3DS) - 50% off all DLC lessons until August 11
    Fractured Soul (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 from until August 1
    Nano Assault EX (3DS eShop) - €9.99 / £8.74 from August 1-August 15
    Fun! Fun! Minigolf TOUCH (3DS eShop) - €3.49 / £3.14 from August 1-August 15
    Art of Balance! TOUCH (3DS eShop) - €4.89 / £4.40 from August 1-August 15
    3D Game Collection (3DS eShop) - €9.79 / £8.39 from August 1-August 21
    Gardenscapes (3DS eShop) - €10.79 / £10.49 from August 1-August 21
    Murder on the Titanic (3DS eShop) - €10.79 / £10.49 from August 1-August 21]

Funky Barn fans, rejoice!

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Hmm? Aren't Nintendo going to also release Flipnote 3D on the 1st of August?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
^^Check the post before the press release. From the sounds of things the Hatena servers were hammered during the JP launch, so they've delayed the international release so they can prepare for the increase in traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

HARVEST MOON! HARVEST MOON! HARVEST MOON! Oh man and Cloudberry Kingdom's out this week too!