Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Frungy! posted:

Yeah, but every dick was of the same size, totally ruined my immersion. Hopefully this will be rectified in EB2 and we will see hoses ranging from the tiniest little tadger to the world's biggest prick.

Total War Megathread 2: Identical Penis Size Ruins Immersion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1j3h4w/with_rome_ii_just_one_month_from_release_id_like/

I am kinda agreeing that it looks better without the Fitlers, especially the combat screenshots.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Thom12255 posted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1j3h4w/with_rome_ii_just_one_month_from_release_id_like/

I am kinda agreeing that it looks better without the Fitlers, especially the combat screenshots.

I'm pretty sure you could fix that with ENB injection, right? Granted I agree and I'm not a fan of when they slap these over-saturated filters over games, but it shouldn't be too hard to rectify.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Thom12255 posted:

And here I was thinking that I've discovered the workout equivalent of "grammar nazi".

I got to say I like the filter-less shots though. The colours pop out a lot more.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Sydin posted:

I'm pretty sure you could fix that with ENB injection, right? Granted I agree and I'm not a fan of when they slap these over-saturated filters over games, but it shouldn't be too hard to rectify.

Probably. Battlefield 3 looks all sunbleached and gross. Someone put together a great mod to remove the blue filter, but it triggers the anti-cheat mechanism stuff and gets you banned. :dice:

I don't like my video games looking like instagram photos, thanks.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

canyoneer posted:

Probably. Battlefield 3 looks all sunbleached and gross. Someone put together a great mod to remove the blue filter, but it triggers the anti-cheat mechanism stuff and gets you banned. :dice:

Battlefield 3 looks beautiful without the filters.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

The second set of screenshots just looks like they traded the regular filter for a green one.

Battlefield thing looks amazing though. What the gently caress, Dice.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 27, 2013

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Conclusion: Dinosaurs.

canyoneer posted:

Wow, that is gorgeous.

Shonuff
Sep 26, 2007
White like Frank Black is
I can't think of another game on the horizon that I want more than Rome II. I have a hard time playing the earlier TW games after being spoiled by Shogun II/FOTS, but goddamn does that map of Japan get tiresome after a while.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Does anyone have any tips for playing Ikko Ikki in the regular Shogun 2 campaign? I got a mission to take Omi, fine. Waited a year to recruit troops, then declared war. Next thing I know, I'm being dogpiled by the other neighbouring clans out of nowhere and the Hattori are burning all my granaries :gonk:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Ikko have a tendency to get dogpiled because religious differences are are huge diplomacy penalty, and you're stuck being different from everybody else for the entire game. Still, here's some tips:

1. Loan Sword spam. It's kinda cheesy, but loan swords are basically cheap katana sams and they'll grind through regular Ashigaru like so much meat. Grab 1-2 regular ashi for the anti cav, and then just get more loan swords.

2. Build a temple in every border city you can. In addition to the religious benefit, the base level temple adds a defending monk garrison, which is invaluable in a surprise invasion.

3. Pick your battles and limit your fronts. Yeah Omi is a prime looking target, but on the other hand it opens you up to 3-4 avenues of attack all at the same time. If you're going to take Omi, take it a step foward and push in east or west so you can get solid front line. Make sure you have a halfway decent force in every border city. Even if they don't have a general, a half stack of loanswords and bows with a monk garrison can hold against a lot.

4. Use monk agents to start revolts in other provinces. The huge religious discrepancy gives you a higher-than-average rate of success, and the Ikko are special in that if their monks raise a successful revolt and the rebel army takes the province, you get that province along with the rebel stack. So now you not only got yourself a new province, but a free stack of defenders for it as well. Don't go crazy with this or you'll end up with too many provinces too fast, but on a limited scale it can work wonders.

5. Vassles are great at locking down fronts, too. They'll be a little peeved at your religious differences, but most likely they won't turn against you until RD. If you have no plans to expand further in a direction, take the next province and vassle them, which will give you some breathing room. Also that sweet,sweet income the Ikko want so much since nobody wants to trade with you.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Thanks for the help, Sydin! Guess I'll give this another go- maybe on Easy to get used to things. Just a few questions though:

Sydin posted:

3. Pick your battles and limit your fronts. Yeah Omi is a prime looking target, but on the other hand it opens you up to 3-4 avenues of attack all at the same time. If you're going to take Omi, take it a step foward and push in east or west so you can get solid front line. Make sure you have a halfway decent force in every border city. Even if they don't have a general, a half stack of loanswords and bows with a monk garrison can hold against a lot.

What about the northern provinces? The intro said they were poor, but I guess I should focus on defences and building a little slower before making my bid at the Shogunate.

Sydin posted:

4. Use monk agents to start revolts in other provinces. The huge religious discrepancy gives you a higher-than-average rate of success, and the Ikko are special in that if their monks raise a successful revolt and the rebel army takes the province, you get that province along with the rebel stack. So now you not only got yourself a new province, but a free stack of defenders for it as well. Don't go crazy with this or you'll end up with too many provinces too fast, but on a limited scale it can work wonders.

There's such a thing as too many provinces? I thought more provinces = better?

Also, Yari or Katana Ronin?

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 26, 2013

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
E: ^^^ depends. You want to put off realm divide, and the diplo loss from expansion can wreck your trade. Snag quality places over just getting pretty borders.

Ikko Ikki I remember having to restart several times before I got a decent start going. If I remember correctly, you need to grab some early space (otherwise some jackass will blob around you and you want your early wars to end asap) and then proceed to hunker down a bit so you can get some defenses up, fire most of your army, and go hard on economic development. Spread the faith aggressively, so you can respond to hostility by making their cites revolt. Spread south so you eventually have only two fonts to deal with, and try to ally with someone on one border and help them so you can focus on the other front.

I don't remember the exact details of how I went about things, but I do remember the biggest pains came from being broke. Unit upkeep hurts and getting reliable trading buddies as the ikko is tough. Being at war with some rear end that keeps puking samurai stacks while you're in the red with one ashigaru stack is... aggravating.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 26, 2013

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
If you overextend then it becomes more difficult to protect everything. Also in Shogun 2 the more territories you gain the more "renown" you get, which sends you closer to Realm Divide where everyone says gently caress YOU.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Ah, right then. Guess I'll take it slow; maybe I'll expand eastward, as Kyoto's right next to me.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Ronin are a luxury. And the correct kind to get are Bow ronin.

On that note, naginata monks are also a luxury and they don't like being shot but drat if they can't tear it up on a good day. They're reserve troops: hang them back until the enemy is fully engaged with your ashigaru, then charge them in their weakest point and warcry those mofos.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Today I learned the hard way to not be an overextending warmonger and race to take every province. I marched with a giant army taking every province in my path, sometimes taking 2 in the same turn if they were close enough, and I caused the realm divide by turn 33. I lasted for 4 more turns. :smith:

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I wonder how effective an economic victory will be. Usually if you have money, you have money for soldiers and upgrades, which would then tunnel you into a military victory. I also like how they skipped the cultural victory after explaining the first two in the video.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Well, ya gotta learn somehow. You wouldn't believe how boss you'll feel if you can pull it off, though. Try doing a blitz campaign on easy as the Date and you might manage it. At least you'll have your back to the sea.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Odobenidae posted:

I wonder how effective an economic victory will be. Usually if you have money, you have money for soldiers and upgrades, which would then tunnel you into a military victory. I also like how they skipped the cultural victory after explaining the first two in the video.

Sometimes when I'm rolling in cash in M2TW a lot of it can go to building stuff for my settlements. Even if I'm making several tens of thousands of florins a turn, when you've got two dozen towns to upgrade it can get expensive.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Yep. I'm running a Venice game right now. I have around 40 settlements and they're all constantly building something. Some turns I have 60k florins, but immediately after that 10 provinces all finish a building and I'm left with 4000 the next turn.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I hated in Rome 1 when you ran or of things to build. You either made giant stacks of war elephants out twiddling their thumbs and sucking up paychecks or you just accumulate cash and watch your generals build up horrible traits.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

Interesting that the tutorial walkthrough battle seems to be against the Samnites.

People have already posted about this but i would totally pre-order the game if they released naked units :allears:

Having a front-line composed of dick waving barbarians was loving awesome in EB.

And yes, in Greece people fought naked when they were too poor for body armor and didn't want their clothes to be on the way (it's loving hot in Greece). The Gauls also used it to avoid encumbrance and as a sign of virility.

I respect their decision but i'd pass. There's a reason why modern body armor is thick as poo poo in the crotch area. It's one thing to lose an arm, it's another to lose your little Gaul.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mans posted:

I respect their decision but i'd pass. There's a reason why modern body armor is thick as poo poo in the crotch area. It's one thing to lose an arm, it's another to lose your little Gaul.

As someone who's worn modern body armor I have to ask what the hell are you talking about? The armor the Army gave me had thick plates that might stop a bullet for the chest and back, but the crotch and neck areas have padded flaps that really are only gonna stop stray shrapnel. As far I know no modern armor is thick in the crotch. For one thing it would impede your mobility.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Thom12255 posted:

I've never understood this obsession devs have with filters and bloom and all that fancy poo poo that generally make the game look worse. Of course, as long as they can be turned off, I couldn't care less.

Buy holy poo poo that Battlefield 3 mod makes the game look nice. Time to find some videos of it in action.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
So in the Steam Summer sale thread there was a post that I forgot to bookmark I was hoping someone could point me to

I purchased Total War Shogun 2 and it was a webpage with TONS of helpful information to really get your empire and armies rolling. Really looked like it went into the details of that sorta stuff and would love to read any additional info before I take the plunge into the campaigns.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

Tiny Chalupa posted:

So in the Steam Summer sale thread there was a post that I forgot to bookmark I was hoping someone could point me to

I purchased Total War Shogun 2 and it was a webpage with TONS of helpful information to really get your empire and armies rolling. Really looked like it went into the details of that sorta stuff and would love to read any additional info before I take the plunge into the campaigns.

Is this what you're looking for? http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?137395-Frogbeastegg-s-Guide-to-Total-War-Shogun-II

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chomp8645 posted:

As someone who's worn modern body armor I have to ask what the hell are you talking about? The armor the Army gave me had thick plates that might stop a bullet for the chest and back, but the crotch and neck areas have padded flaps that really are only gonna stop stray shrapnel. As far I know no modern armor is thick in the crotch. For one thing it would impede your mobility.

It looks thicker than the rest of the armor :frogbon:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mans posted:

It looks thicker than the rest of the armor :frogbon:

Wow that one has a big codpiece, or maybe I just remember it being smaller. But anyway if you actually felt the area covering the crotch (or the neck) it might be kind of hard, but not solid material. It's kind of like the material used in gym mats or a really thick bed comforter. The portions that that cover the neck and crotch are just padding that's supposed to catch stray shrapnel/debris. The front and back parts however have solid ceramic plates which will certainly stop shrapnel, and stand a chance at stopping bullets depending on range/angle/caliber etc. Modern armor definitely protects the core more than anything else.

It basically goes torso/head (heavy armor) ---> neck/groin (light armor) ---> limbs (unarmored)

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 27, 2013

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
If I besiege a town, do I automatically get scaling ladders and the like if I choose to assault the turn I besiege it? Or do I need to autoresolve/use a ninja if I want maximum results?

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jul 27, 2013

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CommissarMega posted:

If I besiege a town, do I aut0omatically get scaling ladders and the like if I choose to assault the turn I besiege it? Or do I need to autoresolve/use a ninja if I want maximum results?

There are no ladders in Shogun. Your units will physically climb up the walls.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Oh, that's cool. I was under the impression only the Hattori with their 'everyone is ninjas!' shtick could do that.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

MadJackMcJack posted:

Historically Accurate Dicks DLC, CA would make a killing :colbert:

Hey, the Gaesatae fought proudly with dongs flopping about. Expect EB2 to have proper dong physics.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
If there's no dick physics, I'd settle for a bunch of big blur-out bars just like in Saints Row

MadJackMcJack posted:

I've never understood this obsession devs have with filters and bloom and all that fancy poo poo that generally make the game look worse. Of course, as long as they can be turned off, I couldn't care less.

Buy holy poo poo that Battlefield 3 mod makes the game look nice. Time to find some videos of it in action.

Worst part is that the top tier players online crank down their resolution and settings as low as possible, with all the pretty effects turned off. Someone posted a video of a guy running it at minimum resolution topping a server because he was pulling triple digit FPS rates with zero stuttering anywhere. I guess it's also easier to see through smoke and environmental effects, and the player models stick out against the landscape more. Whatever.

But yeah, I would enjoy BF3 much more if the color filters setting could be changed. Their audio filters can be changed, but no color filters? :sigh:
At least we haven't seen any blinding lens flares in the RTW2 videos :)

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

canyoneer posted:

Worst part is that the top tier players online crank down their resolution and settings as low as possible, with all the pretty effects turned off. Someone posted a video of a guy running it at minimum resolution topping a server because he was pulling triple digit FPS rates with zero stuttering anywhere. I guess it's also easier to see through smoke and environmental effects, and the player models stick out against the landscape more. Whatever.

At least we're past the days of people cranking their FOV to ridiculous levels to see all around them in fisheye lens.

Lower settings definitely do help in a lot of games though. I made this video showing off smoke grenades in Planetside 2. Most games with smokes seem to have similar issues.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Gonkish posted:

Hey, the Gaesatae fought proudly with dongs flopping about. Expect EB2 to have proper dong physics.

If I can't have my total war games full of Dick Dueling, Johnson Jousting, Schlong Shlapping fun then I will be sorely disappointed in CA.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
So they've changed the way missiles look now, to get rid of that laser looking effect that everyone was bitching about.

Looks like a change for the better to me. I mean I understand why you need some sort of trail on the missiles so you can see from a distance when and where units are firing, but it was a bit over the top before.

GuardianOfAsgaard fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 27, 2013

mark-p87
Sep 27, 2006
Really Dystopian Rhetoric
I see on Steam that Rome 2 is going to feature two-player competitive and co-op modes. Is this going to be a hot seat mode only or can you play online? I hope it's online because as difficult as it would be to organise that would be awesome fun.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

mark-p87 posted:

I see on Steam that Rome 2 is going to feature two-player competitive and co-op modes. Is this going to be a hot seat mode only or can you play online? I hope it's online because as difficult as it would be to organise that would be awesome fun.

The last 3 games have had co-op and competitive available online, I doubt that will change for Rome 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Looks like a change for the better to me. I mean I understand why you need some sort of trail on the missiles so you can see from a distance when and where units are firing, but it was a bit over the top before.

I think this was posted before but in any case thank loving goodness. Those laser trails from before were just so drat ugly.