Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I think if you hold Select or another button when you boot a DS game it will run in its original resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

ChaosArgate posted:

I'm told Luigi's Mansion is a blast, although that's secondhand knowledge from me because I have yet to actually try it. Mario Kart's pretty fun too!

Ok, thanks, I'll check those out! Anyone have any other shining examples of local multiplayer/coop?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Travis343 posted:

I think if you hold Select or another button when you boot a DS game it will run in its original resolution.

Start or Select, same applies to GB, GBC, and GBA games in the Virtual Console, though I will point out that the Game Boy/Color games have a nice border while the GBA games don't.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

King Burgundy posted:

Ok, thanks, I'll check those out! Anyone have any other shining examples of local multiplayer/coop?

Mario Party DS is great for local MP, although a 3DS version is coming this year. Mario Tennis Open is pretty lame so don't get that.

Nevileen
Jan 4, 2008

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Start or Select, same applies to GB, GBC, and GBA games in the Virtual Console, though I will point out that the Game Boy/Color games have a nice border while the GBA games don't.

Nice to know if I ever decide to upgrade, but for right now I'm okay with my original black. :)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

King Burgundy posted:

Meteos is a drat great game you should have anyway but it's one of those puzzle games that's just meant to be played with other people. Many college lunchtimes spent at war with my classmates on that.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Mario Party DS is great for local MP, although a 3DS version is coming this year. Mario Tennis Open is pretty lame so don't get that.

I still can't believe Nintendo ditched the RPG format of their handheld sports titles. :negative:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Does anyone else remember Rodea the Sky Soldier, the Wii/3DS flying action game by Prope that was announced a couple years back? The last update came over a year ago, when Yuji Naka stated that they'd finished the Wii version and submitted the final master to the publisher but the publisher had completely stopped talking to them about it, so they had no idea what as going on or whether it'd ever be released for either platform.

Well, the publisher (Kadokawa) has just revealed that they're still working on the 3DS port ("70% done") and that they haven't mentioned it in however many years because "the media lost interest". Okay.

Here's the reveal trailer from way back when, which is still the only real footage they ever showed:

http://rodea.jp/creator_gamemovie.html

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Oh yeah I forgot about that! Looked neat.

Couldnt the media have lost interest because thee was no news about it for so long? Just sayin!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

But... Isn't Kadokawa "the media"? Like, their parent company is one of the biggest magazine publishers in Japan and they just happen to own Famitsu? :confused:

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

So after getting all those good answers about games, it appears I've lost my 3DS. :(

I can kiss all my street pass stuff and saves goodbye I guess. But has Nintendo ever gotten any better at restoring eshop stuff? Or still the same old lovely account system in place where everything was tied to just that device?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

King Burgundy posted:

So after getting all those good answers about games, it appears I've lost my 3DS. :(

I can kiss all my street pass stuff and saves goodbye I guess. But has Nintendo ever gotten any better at restoring eshop stuff? Or still the same old lovely account system in place where everything was tied to just that device?

No, they still don't have a real account system. Unless you believe it was stolen and you can provide a police report, it looks like all your stuff is gone. :(

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

AngryCaterpillar posted:

No, they still don't have a real account system. Unless you believe it was stolen and you can provide a police report, it looks like all your stuff is gone. :(

That is such a huge bummer. :( This is my only piece of tech that is(was) like this. Anything else is cloud saved/universal account/etc. Why Nintendo?!?!?!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

King Burgundy posted:

That is such a huge bummer. :( This is my only piece of tech that is(was) like this. Anything else is cloud saved/universal account/etc. Why Nintendo?!?!?!

Give them a call. Multiple people have reported Nintendo's customer service as being very helpful and restoring their stuff even in the event of something being lost. They have a record of the things you purchased via eshop and as long as all you're trying to do is get it activated on a new device they'll probably help out.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

ImpAtom posted:

Give them a call. Multiple people have reported Nintendo's customer service as being very helpful and restoring their stuff even in the event of something being lost. They have a record of the things you purchased via eshop and as long as all you're trying to do is get it activated on a new device they'll probably help out.

I'll definitely give it a try.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

I still can't believe Nintendo ditched the RPG format of their handheld sports titles. :negative:

Oh drat yeah! I remember the Gameboy Color tennis game was a blast, almost like Pokemon tennis. I'd love to see them return to that formula.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

ImpAtom posted:

Even in the event of things being lost? I don't know, that would be really easy to exploit by claiming the device was lost while letting a friend have all your purchases.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Even in the event of things being lost? I don't know, that would be really easy to exploit by claiming the device was lost while letting a friend have all your purchases.

They have the serial number of the offending device, if you said it was stolen or sold they could very easily ban it from the eshop/recieving updates and then it would be useless.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

uPen posted:

They have the serial number of the offending device, if you said it was stolen or sold they could very easily ban it from the eshop/recieving updates and then it would be useless.

Well not exactly useless... the person wouldn't need the online functions to continue to play the games. I just don't want King Burgundy to get his hopes up since I don't think Nintendo will be able to accommodate him given the constraints of their feeble online system.

braveplan
May 1, 2013

All this talk is making me paranoid about losing or breaking my 3DS. Especially since I've been purchasing games exclusively from the eShop.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You don't have to pretend it was stolen to file a police report for a lost item.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I went and purchased an XL on the way home from work today. The last Nintendo hand held I owned was this:

3D games and video without big glasses, virtual reality, downloadable retail games, it's like we are in the future already.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Xik posted:

I went and purchased an XL on the way home from work today. The last Nintendo hand held I owned was this:

3D games and video without big glasses, virtual reality, downloadable retail games, it's like we are in the future already.

You can even download Game Boy games and play them with the original Game Boy screen border! (hold start or select while launching them)

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

AngryCaterpillar posted:

You can even download Game Boy games and play them with the original Game Boy screen border! (hold start or select while launching them)

I was actually just quickly going through the 3DS exclusive digital shop and almost bought the original Kirby for the NES. I stopped myself and laughed at the idea of just buying a brand new, modern gaming hand-held device and having the first thing I play on it be a 20 year old game.

Also, is that Zelda: Link to the Past in 3D? :allears:

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Xik posted:

I was actually just quickly going through the 3DS exclusive digital shop and almost bought the original Kirby for the NES. I stopped myself and laughed at the idea of just buying a brand new, modern gaming hand-held device and having the first thing I play on it be a 20 year old game.

It's an upcoming sequel to LttP: A Link Between Worlds

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Xik posted:

Kirby's Adventure on 3DS is a REMAKE with 3D layering and other cool stuff! Go for it!

surc
Aug 17, 2004

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Mario Tennis Open is pretty lame so don't get that.

:colbert:

Can the people who are saying this start including if they think it's lame because it isn't a good multiplayer game, or lame because of the lack of single player RPG? I love the poo poo out of N64 and GC Mario Tennis, and all I do in those is play multiplayer with my friends. If it's the lack of single player RPG elements, that also has absolutely no impact on his looking for a good local MP game, don't dissuade him from a game that might be a great fit.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

surc posted:

:colbert:

Can the people who are saying this start including if they think it's lame because it isn't a good multiplayer game, or lame because of the lack of single player RPG? I love the poo poo out of N64 and GC Mario Tennis, and all I do in those is play multiplayer with my friends. If it's the lack of single player RPG elements, that also has absolutely no impact on his looking for a good local MP game, don't dissuade him from a game that might be a great fit.

But I have both MTO and MT64, and I have played MTO locally, and it was boring for us. I can't put my finger on it but it just isn't very exciting. I think the N64 one has more personality. Obviously the single player has nothing to do with it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DoctorWhat posted:

Kirby's Adventure on 3DS is a REMAKE with 3D layering and other cool stuff! Go for it!

Speaking of the remakes, is there any word on when the eight Sega Genesis/Megadrive 3D remakes are coming? Why must Nintendo continue to deny me Space Harrier in 3D? :argh:

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Speaking of the remakes, is there any word on when the eight Sega Genesis/Megadrive 3D remakes are coming? Why must Nintendo continue to deny me Space Harrier in 3D? :argh:

http://blogs.sega.com/2013/07/18/sega-3d-classic-series-coming-to-nintendo-3ds/
"Coming Soon" :airquote:

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
So, maybe I'm just a fun-hater, but I am not really getting into the groove of Luigi's Mansion. Is there anyone else here who shares my sentiments or do I just don't understand what fun is?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I usually keep my copy of Monster Hunter in a little plastic cartridge holder thingy in the change pocket in my jeans. I forgot about this when I put it in the wash this morning. Once the wash finished, I searched through my wet clothes in a frenzy to find the game bone dry, in perfect working order. :iia:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
My MH cartridge never leaves my 3ds because it's the only physical game I own for the system. :(

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Xik posted:

You know seeing that I wonder why they haven't done a limited edition 3DS that looks like a old chunky gameboy when closed

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

BambooEarpick posted:

So, maybe I'm just a fun-hater, but I am not really getting into the groove of Luigi's Mansion. Is there anyone else here who shares my sentiments or do I just don't understand what fun is?

I got to the second mansion and put it down about 2/3rds the way in. Its a good action adventure game, just not for me.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

BambooEarpick posted:

I finished it, but about halfway through the second mansion it became a slog. It's got nice gameplay and a lot of exploration to it, especially great if you're one of those people that has to 100% everything, but it's just not my kind of game. I also don't really click with the story-heavy Mario game humour. I also couldn't stand Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story mostly from the dialogue and humour. Just doesn't gel with me.

FreyaXI
May 1, 2011
Right so, I have 4 club Nintendo pins I don't plan on using. Fire emblem, PXZ, Monster hunter and Pokemon White 2. If its doable EShop credit would be great! Lookin to get 3D Land or Luigis mansion in the future so those will be anyone's with an offer! If no one does ill just hand them out later, just quote this and give me email thanks!

FreyaXI fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 27, 2013

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

FreyaXI posted:

Right so, I have 4 club Nintendo pins I don't plan on using. Fire emblem, PXZ, Monster hunter and Pokemon White 2. If its doable ESOP credit would be great! Lookin to get 3D Land or Luigis mansion in the future so those will be anyone's with an offer! If no one does ill just hand them out later, just quote this and give me email thanks!

PXZ is the only game on the list I don't have, but I don't have any EShop credit. If no one else offers anything, though, I'd be glad to use it. No big deal. :)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Is it normal that my 3DS's battery is heating up while I'm playing 3DS games? (I'm not playing while recharging)

It's not super hot but it's quite warm. Is it related to hot temperature? (It's around 29-35°C where I am)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
That might not be the battery itself but rather the 3ds hardware. It has to render all that stuff going on in games after all. Cellphones get hot after all when you play games on them or use apps that requires use of the cpu/gpu a lot.

• Locked thread