Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Unfortunately I doubt we will get a sequel unless a studio is incredibly generous and the movie kills it on blu ray. But this isnt Dredd which was shot on like 40 million to warrant sequel buzz. Sad in that I wanted to see where Del Toro would take and see it suceed but not entirely in that the movie can stand on its own. I doubt Del Toro is going to get the budgets he needs for JLA Dark or Madness movie much less get them greenlit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/07/26/capcom-to-do-pacific-rim-collaboration-with-lost-planet-3/

Apparently Capcom is going to put some Pacific Rim stuff in Lost Planet 3. EDN III Rim?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Level Slide posted:

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/07/26/capcom-to-do-pacific-rim-collaboration-with-lost-planet-3/

Apparently Capcom is going to put some Pacific Rim stuff in Lost Planet 3. EDN III Rim?

Man, loving poo poo up with any of the jaegers would made me buy Lost Planet 3 :allears:

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Lessail posted:

Do we know how many researchers the actual organization (not the group shown throughout the movie) has before they are stripped of funding/standing for the wall and have to turn to Russian mobsters and other criminals for funding?

The Russians provided the nuke for Striker Eureka and have connections to get whatever Pentecost needs, however the funding for the Jaeger program after it goes independent from the world governments comes solely from Hannibal Chau. In exchange for the money needed to keep Pentecost knee deep in elbow rockets he gets exclusive rights to harvest Kaiju corpses.

The Jaegers were already paid for and constructed by the military and Pentecost had consolidated them under one roof, so the funds Chau gives them went to their upkeep and armed and all the logistics involved with running an operation with that many personnel. And the restoration of Gipsy.

Thats a lot of bone powder. (The German's go nuts for the wings)

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

meristem posted:

[I'm] not very much against films that are fun through a depiction of violence. I think that they have a valid role as antidepressants. In sperg-speak, their purpose is to give us an adrenaline-fuelled euphoria based on the activation of fight-or-flight - which is an instinct you can't really get rid of, so why not make use of it? You don't watch Pacific Rim to think, just for the sensation: 'I'm feeling down today... let's have a quick fix of endorphins by watching Star Wars/Indiana Jones/Pacific Rim' (same as you'd watch Love Actually for an oxytocin fix, i.e. the 'warm feeling inside').

Well, let's say you have a version of Star Wars that's full of dense CGI - where, after the liberals prove ineffectual at defeating the inhuman cabal of international bankers and their armies of insectile drones, we celebrate the creation of the Empire who 'do what it takes' to cleanse the earth of Chewbaccas. It's okay, kids! Chewbaccas are probably non-sentient.

And, like, you have the most gifted warrior ever recruited to the team. He's too hot-headed and obviously traumatized, but they need him anyway because these are desperate times. So:

"I killed them. I killed them all. They're dead. Every single one of them. And not just the men, but the women... And the children too. They're like animals, and I slaughtered them like animals! I hate them!"

You see what I'm getting at here. Pacific Rim is a Star Wars prequel, except without all those aspects that made nerds uncomfortable. Because it turns out the character who also hates Jar Jar and those boring debate scenes is none other than Darth Vader himself, revealed to be a petulant manbaby.

You shoulda checked what was in your burger.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Boy when this thread hit 88 miles an hour and we were told we would see some poo poo drat I wonder where we are going next. I got lost somewhere when I took a left at Myrtle Beach.

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013
Pacific Rim: Actually just a Star Wars prequel

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Next time any of y'all sees this movie, pay attention to the War Clock and you'll probably get a feel for how much was cut in that hour of footage that didn't make it into the film. The time gap from the Hong Kong fight to the assault on the Breach? 2 and a half days, even if it's like five minutes of screen time, tops. Ditto for the pilot selection and all that, which is close to 3-4 days. Really wondering what was in the cut footage.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Personal hope is in the cut footage we'll get better looks at the start of the Kaiju war and some of the Jaegers like backstory for Pentecost in Coyote Tango as well as elaboration on Cherno and Crimson.

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

Touch more on why Knifehead is awesome, in the sense talked about, there's a big difference in scale of that encounter and Hong Kong. The boat is isolated in the stormy ocean, no visible land marks other than the people on it and the boat itself. This sense of scale is why it gives importance to Knifehead as awesome. In Hong Kong you have more land marks(City/Harbor) and the sea itself even seems smaller, we no longer identify with the boat at sea in the vast ocean. Instead now the scale isn't incomprehensible it can almost feel claustrophobic at times when it moves within the city. Also SMG, that post killed me.

brawleh fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 27, 2013

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
You can now pre-order Gipsy Danger for $399.99 :suicide:

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=400191

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Crazy crazy stuff. Just crazy.

I think Pacific Rim has more in common with the Mass Effect games. Reapers and the Precursors are both ancient beings waiting for the right moment to strike and wipe out all life. In both stories the doomed are able to hold them off by being adaptable and using ingenuity. The Reapers try to evolve (a human reaper) to overcome the adversity, the Precursors evolve their Kaiju designs after each battle. Both have similar strong military commanders, David Anderson and Stacker Pentecost, who push for resources to fight the threat that the rest of the government bodies choose to ignore (both have great speaking voices too, but I don't know for sure if both are also British or if just Stacker is). Both are have people of different (ME: alien)races coming together to fight the threat. Both stories even have portals the ancient race needs to use to enter our universe.

Edit: Yup both Stacker and David are British.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 27, 2013

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

PLASMA CANNON

(source)

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Fan art time?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

What in the everloving gently caress happened in this thread? How did we go from HOLY CRAP ELBOW ROCKET :swoon: to :spergin: about second meanings???

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Fan art time?

This is fuckin cool.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Blackchamber posted:

I think Pacific Rim has more in common with the Mass Effect games. Reapers and the Precursors are both ancient beings waiting for the right moment to strike and wipe out all life. In both stories the doomed are able to hold them off by being adaptable and using ingenuity. The Reapers try to evolve (a human reaper) to overcome the adversity, the Precursors evolve their Kaiju designs after each battle. Both have similar strong military commanders, David Anderson and Stacker Pentecost, who push for resources to fight the threat that the rest of the government bodies choose to ignore (both have great speaking voices too, but I don't know for sure if both are also British or if just Stacker is). Both are have people of different (ME: alien)races coming together to fight the threat. Both stories even have portals the ancient race needs to use to enter our universe.

Edit: Yup both Stacker and David are British.

You're comparing mainly plot and setting details, whereas SMG is concerned with common themes and their relevance to real world political struggles.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Scyantific posted:

What in the everloving gently caress happened in this thread? How did we go from HOLY CRAP ELBOW ROCKET :swoon: to :spergin: about second meanings???

Because it's interesting to talk about what a film means and boring as gently caress to gush over cool moments forever.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Because it's interesting to talk about what a film means and boring as gently caress to gush over cool moments forever.

"Interesting" is a garbage word, so please don't use it. This discussion of fascism and militarism for the thousandth time has effectively nothing to do with this film specifically. At this point the "philosophical" discussion going on could be equally applied to any blockbuster action movie. I am intrigued by some of the points people make about Pacific Rim specifically, and bored to tears by SMG and brawleh and others' eighth-grade interpretations/schizophrenic ramblings about eco-terrorism and how humans are the REAL monsters. :jerkbag:

エルーボロケット!

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Lord Krangdar posted:

You're comparing mainly plot and setting details, whereas SMG is concerned with common themes and their relevance to real world political struggles.

In his last post?

Also Raserys I sent out your Coyote Tango Heroclix today. I didn't want to have him get lonely so I put Raiju in there with him, besides its cooler to have a bad guy to display with the good guy.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 27, 2013

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Fan art time?

Yes.

Newt's kissing the brain in the jar. :roboluv:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Level Slide posted:

I'm gonna guess pilotable Jaegers or Kaiju monsters will appear.

Capcom did a similar thing in Lost Planet 2 with Marcus and Dom player skins (360) and Killzone skins (PS3).

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Watching this movie has really upped my estimation of Burn Gorman as an actor. After seeing him in Layer Cake, the Dark Knight Rises, and Game of Thrones, he really seems to have a lot of range.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

If anybody is selling extras of the heroclix I'd be interested in buying most of a set. I'd be interested in any/all of the Jaegers and Knifehead, Scunner, and Leatherback of the kaiju. Shoot me a pm with an asking price for however many of those you might have.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Interesting? I really wish they'd just nuke this thread because it's been trolled to hell anyway. We're never gonna talk about actual thoughts on the movie again or possible sequels or behind the scenes or the toys because its buried in pseudo-intellectual garbage talk.

RBX fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 27, 2013

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Scyantific posted:

What's the second meaning?

I established the first meaning.

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

What's the second meaning?

I established the first meaning.

Listen, alright, sometimes a sausage is just a sausage.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Indoctrinating the youth in militarism and play-combat is fundamentally fascist. No, I'm kidding. That's adorable as hell.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

It's Showtime.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Fan art time?

брошен в имя бога
нейронных моста активных

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Gatts posted:

Unfortunately I doubt we will get a sequel unless a studio is incredibly generous and the movie kills it on blu ray. But this isnt Dredd which was shot on like 40 million to warrant sequel buzz. Sad in that I wanted to see where Del Toro would take and see it suceed but not entirely in that the movie can stand on its own. I doubt Del Toro is going to get the budgets he needs for JLA Dark or Madness movie much less get them greenlit.

You know, I'm not sure a sequel is out of the question. According to Box Office Mojo, it's grossed 188 million as of yesterday. It's still got another weekend or two in theaters, too. It looks to me like it's well on track to recoup its budget and then some, since that site is only even taking into account box office sales, not DVD/Blu-ray, toys, lunchboxes, animated series, etc which I can't imagine won't make money. Studios don't like to take new risks, but since this movie has done pretty well I'd bet we will see a sequel. Hollywood remakes mediocre movies all the time, and this movie is anything but.

I saw the movie with a friend who said he grants each movie one miracle. In this case he used the miracle on "all the nations of the earth banding together". I liked how even that was falling apart by the events of the movie, with each nation shrinking back to hide behind its individual wall, the international brotherhood of Jaegers reduced to a handful of leftovers scrapping for time. Even after the Sydney wall is easily breached, the leader dude is all "The wall is the best option that's that" even though is so obviously the wrong decision.

I also thought it was interesting how the entire Jaeger program has selected Pentecost as their leader. He is the Dictator-by-consent of the last group of people actively fighting the Kaiju. Anyone else notice Pentecost didn't actually wear a uniform since the closure of the Alaska base? It was just a blue suit, no rank, no insignia, not so much as a flag pin. No medals-from-bar-fights or phony decorations like you get from most dictators, just a suit, tie, and an air of command.

However, Pentecost doesn't fit into the conventional niche of "Dictator", since he isn't arrogating civil authority. He commands what seems to me like the only effective military force then extant. Heck, the only control the elite seem to have over him is via funding. His only threat is for someone to "leave". Not confinement or execution or withholding of pay, just "If you don't like it, just walk out the door". People only follow him because they believe in a shared common cause and in him as the embodiment of armed, active resistance to the Kaiju. Stacker Pentecost has no retinue, no swarm of yes-men and fact-checkers and clipboard-holders, just him. He gives commands directly to anyone and they follow them, unless they know a better way, in which case Stacker chastises them, but they keep their jobs, because he needs people to follow him. He can't save the world by himself, he needs a team.

So perhaps this movie is really primarily about how in times of great struggle humans have a tendency to find the person who presents the best chance to save them, then band together behind that person. The movie certainly presents this as the best option- the alternative being "Hide behind a wall that doesn't work and wait for extinction". No council provides a check on Pentecost's actions, when he makes the wrong call (as he does frequently) everyone can try and minimize the consequences, maybe even disobey and face his wrath, but no one ever suggests replacing him. I think this is indicative of the objective nature of the threat: It's not about opinions or feelings or ideology, it's about what actions are best to defeat the Kaiju, who care nothing for humans and can't be stopped except through overwhelming force.

Stacker is certainly a flawed figure, almost every decision he makes is wrong. But he's still in charge because everyone respects him. He's in charge because everyone agrees he is- what else are they going to do, hold a vote? So I think the movie's primary message pretty clearly holds up a Military Commander type of governance as necessary during times of strong, persistent, external threats to the State. And of course, Pentecost does the resulting world a favor and dies along with the threat, presumably allowing democracy to again take it's proper peacetime role as the "ideal" system of government.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Blackchamber posted:

In his last post?

Also Raserys I sent out your Coyote Tango Heroclix today. I didn't want to have him get lonely so I put Raiju in there with him, besides its cooler to have a bad guy to display with the good guy.

You have a heart of gold, Raiju is actually my second favorite of the Kaiju figures. Thanks so much, I feel kind of guilty taking two figures, so just ask if you ever want a forums upgrade.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

RBX posted:

Interesting? I really wish they'd just nuke this thread because it's been trolled to hell anyway. We're never gonna talk about actual thoughts on the movie again or possible sequels or behind the scenes or the toys because its buried in pseudo-intellectual garbage talk.

Your 'actual thoughts' on the movie at this point consist of:

RBX posted:

HE FUCKIN POSED AFTER CUTTING THE KAIJU IN HALF!WHAT MORE COULD I WANT?

But if you have some thesis you're itching to present please go for it.

Or we can apparently talk about films that don't exist yet, or loving toys. Toys. Seriously?

Give me the pseudo-intellectual garbage any day of the week. I loved watching this film and I've seen it twice now. But the discussion on fascism and the glorification of violence has made me look at it in a new light and helped me understand why I found the violence so viscerally satisfying. It's interesting to me because I like insights as to why a movie makes me exhilarated and aggressive, even if they're not answers that make me feel particularly proud of myself. That's kind of the point of discussing film.

Ah you're probably right. Let's just talk about toys.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 28, 2013

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

RBX posted:

gently caress yes please. Pacific Rim - Rocket Punches, Toys, or GTFO

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Ah you're probably right. Let's just talk about toys.

Toy talk would be GREAT if you could actually BUY them somewhere on this planet.

Seriously, I can still grab Mummy and Tron stuff at Big Lots, but Pacific Rim? Nope. The owner of my local comic book store is practically crying. "I totally misjudged this."

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
So, my housemate saw the film last night, and he raised an interesting idea about Chuck and Mako.

Given that Herc and Stacker are both single Handsome Dads, it seems pretty likely that they would've ended up having their respective kids meet each other while the adults discussed Important PPDC Things. I don't imagine that young Chuck and Mako would get along well, though.

Building on that, my housemate seemed pretty sure - by referencing how Chuck gives Mako a few leers and his aggressive 'bitch' comment to her - that Chuck might have once tried to put his moves on Mako and she shot him down.

I just thought it was an interesting idea.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Just got my poster in the mail from Scyantific. Major thanks, this is going to look excellent on my wall.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Ramen Pride! posted:

Toy talk would be GREAT if you could actually BUY them somewhere on this planet.

Seriously, I can still grab Mummy and Tron stuff at Big Lots, but Pacific Rim? Nope. The owner of my local comic book store is practically crying. "I totally misjudged this."

Man, no kidding. I tried two comic shops, a Target and a freaking Toys R Us today. The best I could find was a couple of HeroClix at one of the comic shops (and I may go by tomorrow to buy one and hope I get lucky and get Gipsy Danger). The Toys R Us isn't expecting to get more in "for a few weeks" and the HeroClix-less comic shop said they weren't expecting any figures until October at the earliest. What on earth happened?! We should have been up to our nostrils in Kaiju/Jaeger variant toys, the setting practically screams for them!

I mean, this is Warner Brothers we're talking about. How many different Batman suits get released with every movie?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
WB washed their hands a while ago.

Tragic misstep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001

PaganGoatPants posted:

WB washed their hands a while ago.

Tragic misstep.

Meanwhile, three foot tall utterly creepy Superman dolls clog every Wal-Mart.

Seriously, who buys those?

*I would say I'd pick one up for shits and giggles once the price falls, but my kids wouldn't even play with the drat thing and it doesn't even make a good halloween decoration. It's like a Mitt Romney doll. Unlikeable and creepy.

Polaron posted:

Man, no kidding. I tried two comic shops, a Target and a freaking Toys R Us today. The best I could find was a couple of HeroClix at one of the comic shops (and I may go by tomorrow to buy one and hope I get lucky and get Gipsy Danger). The Toys R Us isn't expecting to get more in "for a few weeks" and the HeroClix-less comic shop said they weren't expecting any figures until October at the earliest. What on earth happened?! We should have been up to our nostrils in Kaiju/Jaeger variant toys, the setting practically screams for them!

I mean, this is Warner Brothers we're talking about. How many different Batman suits get released with every movie?

I did that whole run over a week ago (when I was visiting a REAL city... I live in the boonies.) with the same results. Luckily, the SA Heroclix Boondoggle of 2013 saved the day, and my kid has a teeny tiny Coyote Tango. Considering that it turned out to be free, I figure it paid for the gas driving around expecting to find some drat toys. My son's happy, so that's all that matters.

*** PACIFIC RIM: WORST HANDLED SUMMER BLOCKBUSTER EVER.

Ramen Pride! fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 28, 2013

• Locked thread