Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

By Katsuya Terada

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zygnal
Dec 1, 2006
Never
Fun Shoe
Since everyone was talking about it disappearing from theaters, I
decided to see it again, as I'm not sure how effective it will be on
DVD (I really got a sense of weight on screen).

But the 7PM showing here in Austin was full, I was lucky to get in.
Is pulling the movie strictly based on attendance? Or something
more complicated involving new releases, etc.?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Gonna go ahead and re-post this, since only one person responded to it the first time I asked about it (39 pages ago :suicide: ). It's toychat... but not quite.

Xenomrph posted:

This thread is one of the first threads I've seen on CineD where posters have been outright clamoring to buy merchandise and figurines and whatnot for the movie, and I wanted to talk about that a bit. A lot of people in CineD know that I'm a huge tie-in media/merchandise whore for just about any "media franchise" I latch onto, and the vast majority of the time I get mocked for it and I tend to temper my enthusiasm as a result. :v:
With this movie, I'd like to know what's compelling others to show interest in buying the figurines and whatnot, or making people wish they'd make toys of some of the other robots or monsters that haven't gotten such a treatment yet (ex: Cherno Alpha seems to be the most popular choice in this thread). I have my own ideas as to why people are doing it, but I don't want to put words in people's mouths so I'll wait until some people respond.

For me, I like getting figures/model kits of movie stuff because it's like a little 3-dimensional representation of something from the movie, and I can look at it from any angle and really see all the details and whatnot. Especially with NECA, they often get access to production/concept photos of whatever character/creature/object they're making a figure of, and that lets them sculpt the parts of the figure that you don't otherwise see in the movie itself. For example I've got the NECA Chair Suit Engineer from 'Prometheus', and it's absolutely fantastic. It's chock-full of a ton of little details and intricacies that I didn't spot in the movie itself, and the knowledge of those little details helped me spot them better in the movie itself, and made me enjoy the movie more. I like movie concept art books for similar reasons - being able to see ideas or objects from the movie from perspectives other than strictly the ones shown in the movie proper is really interesting to me.

In a way I guess it's a sort of "connection" between the movie and real life, as well. It lets the movie experience continue beyond just sitting down and watching the movie itself.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Boxofficemojo confirms that between Thursday and Friday, Pacific Rim was dropped from around 700 theaters nationwide. This represents about a 20% drop in the number of theaters showing the film. In comparison, Despicable Me 2 fell around 10% in distribution, and Grown Ups 2 around 7%.

e: some numbers - # of theaters screening the film last Friday / this Friday:

Despicable Me 2
3,820 / 3,476

Grown Ups 2
3,491 / 3,258

Pacific Rim
3,285 / 2,602

So not only did fewer theaters nationwide pick the film up in the first place, they are dropping the film much faster than other films that came out the same week (although technically, Despicable Me 2 came out the week before).

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 28, 2013

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Ramen Pride! posted:

Toy talk would be GREAT if you could actually BUY them somewhere on this planet.

Seriously, I can still grab Mummy and Tron stuff at Big Lots, but Pacific Rim? Nope. The owner of my local comic book store is practically crying. "I totally misjudged this."

I can find the figures easily enough thanks to a comic shop that stocks Neca but it seems like Heroclix just doesn't sell anything in Canada.

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001
PACIFIC RIM: Del Toro apparently pissed off some hollywood bigwig.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Ramen Pride! posted:

PACIFIC RIM: Del Toro apparently pissed off some hollywood bigwig.

I seem to recall that Legendary and Warner Brothers were parting ways, and I think that Pacific Rim marketing was a casualty of that.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/warner-bros-legendary-end-talks-574236

At least the Art of Pacific Rim book is fantastic and very well put-together. The novelization was... OK. I liked some of the lore bits that were stuck into it but it's basically event coverage.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Plus its a busy time there's Grown Ups 2, Despicable Me 2, The Conjuring, Wolverine, and Smurfs 2 coming next week.

I guess Pacific Rim doesn't have the clout the rest do and kids have a lot of options for movies with known/favorite characters.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Ramen Pride! posted:

*** PACIFIC RIM: WORST HANDLED SUMMER BLOCKBUSTER EVER.

John Carter would like a word with you.

Anyway, look on the bright side - consider it a victory that the movie got made at all. A sequel would have been nice, but as Gatts said PR stands on its own and it is glorious. As far as I'm concerned, that's a result.

Besides which, a massive success might have done to Del Toro what it did to Peter Jackson, and no one wants that.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Clipperton posted:

Anyway, look on the bright side - consider it a victory that the movie got made at all. A sequel would have been nice, but as Gatts said PR stands on its own and it is glorious. As far as I'm concerned, that's a result.

Besides which, a massive success might have done to Del Toro what it did to Peter Jackson, and no one wants that.

We'd get Del Toro's King Kong?

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010
If pacific rim kills it in the chinese box office that might be enough to get it a sequel, that market is only getting more valuable as time goes on and hollywood knows it. Short of that we're probably SOL.

Xenomrph posted:

Gonna go ahead and re-post this, since only one person responded to it the first time I asked about it (39 pages ago :suicide: ). It's toychat... but not quite.

I don't normally buy movie merchandise but I did get the art book for this movie and I'm tempted to get a toy/model kit. The reason is that the visual design for this movie was outstanding imo. I've seen it multiple times and I can't get over how much I enjoy just looking at everything in the film and so being able to look at it outside the movie appeals to me.

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

Xenomrph posted:

This is a large part of the discussion taking place and I'm going to quote something from your original message "For example I've got the NECA Chair Suit Engineer from 'Prometheus', and it's absolutely fantastic. It's chock-full of a ton of little details and intricacies that I didn't spot in the movie itself" I can't speak to your opinion on Prometheus the movie from that or how you reacted to the black goo, but I'm going to just go ahead and attribute to you that the black goo 'antagonised' you. This isn't to be intentionally misleading for the sake of argument(or say anything about you) but to help illustrate the point.

Again it's due to the superficial, the surface level appreciation of detail presented as is, textually(in the case of your figure surface texture/detail) how you need that sense of definition in relation to something in the movie and how that's important to you. Not that you shouldn't enjoy it on that level, but it's that, that level of appreciation is itself childlike, like the immediate sensation of touch in making a judgement(hot/cold) rather than engaging the work with the consideration of all your senses not ignoring subtly and nuance(appreciation of the surface detail but also of further meaning when in consideration of the whole experience and trying to unpack that).

A lengthy quote from another great movie that deals with this relationship between the Simulacra and the Real(whats on screen, the reality that formed it and fan reaction to it) to further illustrate this point, it's also a movie that has subtle and not so subtle subversion of 'trope'.

Galaxy Quest posted:

Sir Alexander Dane: We are not the people you think we are.

Mathesar: I don't understand.

Alexander: Did you make any TV shows on your planet, any theater, films.

Mathesar: The historical documents of your culture, yes. in fact we have begun to document our history from your example."

Gwen: N-No not historical documents, they're not all historical documents. I mean surely, you don't think Gilligan's Island is a...

[All the Thermians moan in despair]

Mathesar: Those poor people.

Laredo: Oh Brother.

Guy: We’re screwed.

Gwen: Is there no one on your planet who behaves in a way that is contrary to reality?

Mathasar: Ah. You speak of...

Thermians: Deception. Lies.

Mathasar: "Deception ..." "Lies." We have only recently become aware of these concepts. In our dealings with Sarris. Often Sarris will say one thing, and do another. Promise us mercy but deliver destruction... It is a concept we are beginning to learn at some great cost. But if you are saying that any of you could have traits in common with Sarris.

[Thermians being to laugh]

e:vvv You are applying the ability to appreciate something visually, but again in a very textual manner, engage it with the visual on screen in a similar way, emphasis on symbolism and meaning, as this is important to all narrative elements.

brawleh fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 28, 2013

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Clipperton posted:

What do you mean?

brawleh posted:

I can't speak to your opinion on Prometheus the movie from that or how you reacted to the black goo, but I'm going to just go ahead and attribute to you that the black goo 'antagonised' you.
For what it's worth the "black goo" didn't bother me. As for the rest of your post, I think I need to think it over a bit more before I properly respond to it.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Xenomrph posted:

What do you mean?

What I mean is a descent into bloated, dire crap.

Or to put it another way:

Pre-massive box office success Peter Jackson: Heavenly Creatures.
Post-massive box office success Peter Jackson: The Lovely Bones.

e: VVVVVVV

Young Freud posted:

That would likely have been his adaptation of "At The Mountains Of Madness", which we'll likely never get.

We were never going to get that anyway.

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 28, 2013

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

We'd get Del Toro's King Kong?

That would likely have been his adaptation of "At The Mountains Of Madness", which we'll likely never get.

Which, now that I've brought it up, I'm going to pre-emptively quote someone...

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Good.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Just saw this movie again. Took my ma for her birthday and she loved it too! And she's a musical/drama/Merryl Streep person. Gonna see it a third time with my buddies when I get back to school (If we still have it there).

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Clipperton posted:

John Carter was marketed poorly like Pacific Rim, sure, but the difference is Pacific Rim is a great movie. I saw it for the third time today with my godson and his uncle. I was surprised to find the theater we were in was almost full up; very encouraging for a 7PM saturday evening showing, even if it was one of the smaller screens in the whole cinema.

Thus far, it looks like the film has made $188 million WW; just a hair below its production budget. I suspect/hope that's going to change significantly once the film opens in Japan.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I saw the movie on a regular screen the first time, and I'm thinking of going a second time. My theater has D-Box, 3D, D-Box 3D and IMAX 3D. Which is best for this?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

VJeff posted:

I saw the movie on a regular screen the first time, and I'm thinking of going a second time. My theater has D-Box, 3D, D-Box 3D and IMAX 3D. Which is best for this?

Why the hell doesn't your theater have D-Box IMAX 3D?

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

VJeff posted:

Big dumb movies demand the biggest and dumbest ways of seeing them. You're not watching Ikiru for gosh sakes, get in your shakey seat and gawk at the big robots.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Having seen the movie today I'm thinking of driving three hours round trip to see it again with D-Box.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

AndyElusive posted:

Why the hell doesn't your theater have D-Box IMAX 3D?

The theater only has one IMAX room, and I guess they didn't wanna have all three in one place? I dunno. :shrug:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Fucknag posted:

Pacific Rim cosplayers, better give it up now cause you're never gonna beat this Cherno Alpha.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Saw the film a second time yesterday, due to the cinema reducing the number of screenings and some concern I had it might end up disappearing, so wanted to go again whilst I had the chance. It... might be to the film's favour though, as there were more people in the single 2D showing - nearly packed - than had been to the 3D screening I saw on its opening Friday. Hell, there were actually a sizable number of bookings made in advance when I made my own, so it might be more sustainable if done in these concentrated bursts.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Astro Nut posted:

Saw the film a second time yesterday, due to the cinema reducing the number of screenings and some concern I had it might end up disappearing, so wanted to go again whilst I had the chance. It... might be to the film's favour though, as there were more people in the single 2D showing - nearly packed - than had been to the 3D screening I saw on its opening Friday. Hell, there were actually a sizable number of bookings made in advance when I made my own, so it might be more sustainable if done in these concentrated bursts.

I think somewhere there's something to be said of people just being sick of paying extra for 3D. I didn't even consider it myself until I heard that the movie was so drat good in it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Pacific Rim, the 'swede' version. :)

Saw it again yesterday on a Saturday afternoon, a good crowd at an upper west side IMAX. All the rows except the first eight or so were full. Anecdotal, I know...

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

To shed a bit more light on the political discussion of the movie in terms of current affairs, this is mainly for the benefit of UK readers(D&D megathread readers since I've spotted a few in here) This isn't about the US media in any direct sense. Also admit this could be way off base since it's just from my perception, in general it's about the relationship presented through our media/news when looking at countries like Iran/North Korea. This isn't about support of those governments or anything approaching that, it's more about introspection when looking at the UKs presented relationship with these foreign entities and it's own people.

Generally there are two presentations of those nations one of bumbling incompetence(unable to effectively govern or provide for their people) that doesn't really take note of the effect economic sanctions and our foreign policy has on this at all even in passing. The other side to this is the terrible threat presented in those nations due to wanting nuclear weapons/power, all the while ignoring the power dynamics of relationship(we have those things) and how that positions us in relation to them.

Much like when the riots kicked off in London a couple years ago and spread through the country, this was only ever due to "wanton criminality" and there were absolutely no other factors at play and anyone countered that with any emotional bias in interviews shouldn't really be listened to because they simply can't keep an objective view on things. It's about that transition from something terrible to common place, so maybe you figuratively let your guard down a bit, because after all what has being in the EU ever done for us other than afford terrorists and criminals 'Human Rights'. There's anger there and it can be easily exploited when trying to give shape to an other you can hate without guilt.

In light of that read SMGs post about Pacific Rim as Star Wars, this encapsulates what's not good about adults and to a lesser extent adolescents only wanting to view something with child like wonder. Let the child enjoy their fun and dream of being a Jaeger pilot, enjoy that vicariously(directly/indirectly) but don't ignore the fact you're a loving adult.(this doesn't make the movie 'worse' or say that you can't enjoy it, just something to further reflect on)

p.s gently caress the Tories, Labour & Lib Dems.

e:goes without saying but, Mr. Flunchy this isn't aimed towards you at all just builds on your last post a bit.

brawleh fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 28, 2013

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Japan is having way too much fun with this.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

teagone posted:

Thus far, it looks like the film has made $188 million WW; just a hair below its production budget. I suspect/hope that's going to change significantly once the film opens in Japan.

If you're going by BoxOffice Mojo, their foreign gross numbers for Pacific Rim are all a week behind at the moment. I don't know why they don't update more frequently.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I wonder how much money Warner Bros is making. Analyzing international grosses makes me feel like a kid again.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
How can you stand posting on the same forum as these vermin, sire?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

brawleh posted:

-but don't ignore the fact you're a loving adult.(this doesn't make the movie 'worse' or say anything about those enjoying it on any level-

Brawleh, I honestly like what you're doing, but these statements can't co-exist.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Bonaventure posted:

How can you stand posting on the same forum as these vermin, sire?

What are you talking about? This thread is way more entertaining than the movie.

I've already gladly forgotten half the scenes of people standing around in concrete hallways, kind-of sternly addressing eachother. That's, what, a third of the runtime?

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 28, 2013

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I wonder how much money Warner Bros is making. Analyzing international grosses makes me feel like a kid again.

Worldwide is at $224,026,000 as of today (Box Office Mogo).

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What does it mean when SMG starts talking to himself

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mu Zeta posted:

What does it mean when SMG starts talking to himself

It means I hit quote on the wrong post.

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

Milky Moor posted:

Brawleh, I honestly like what you're doing, but these statements can't co-exist.

Fair point Milky, just a touch coloured by emotional reaction(thinking about UK politics) and really not trying to accuse anyone of being an outright facist(or anything else in that vein for that matter, manchild maybe) for watching a movie and enjoying it, so it got muddled with the intent. I'm sorry about that, it's my fault, slightly edited it for clarity.

brawleh fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 28, 2013

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
If you look hard enough there are whole threads in CinD of SMG debating furiously with himself. Every once in a while a new one with 30+ pages will pop up over night.

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah, honestly don't know why SMG does it, what greater insight could be gleaned from the experience of watching a movie by trying to record and share thoughts on it, all the while being talked around as if invading some sacred space, a 'manchild' cave if you will. Honestly, this thread shares way too many weird parallels with the movie that I'm just waiting for the next rocket punch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

brawleh posted:

Yeah, honestly don't know why SMG does it, what greater insight could be gleaned from the experience of watching a movie by trying to record and share thoughts on it, all the while being talked around as if invading some sacred space, a 'manchild' cave if you will. Honestly, this thread shares way too many weird parallels with the movie that I'm just waiting for the next rocket punch.

Because, just in case you're unironic about it, there are some people voicing their thoughts and some people making the post equivalent of that guy who screams "NEEEEEERDS" in Revenge of the Nerds, not even because they're talking about toys, but because they disagree with your reading of the film. Even this wouldn't be the worst except several (not all) of the people making these arguments are being fairly unsubtle about making them in the most insulting way possible.

• Locked thread