Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

about_face posted:

Just read an article on the A.V. Club that Ryan Gosling, Zac Efron and Leonardo DiCaprio are being considered for roles in Episode VII. I would be okay with Gosling or DiCaprio but I'm neutral toward Efron, I don't know much about him other than he's a teen Disney star and I hope his Disney branding doesn't give him an edge toward any roles.

Efron is a pretty solid actor in the non-HSM stuff I've seen him in. He was great in 17 Again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012

Mandrel posted:

Efron is a pretty solid actor in the non-HSM stuff I've seen him in. He was great in 17 Again

From his looks and age he would be perfect to play Luke or Leia's child.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Leonard di Caprio as Boba Fett. Make it happen you old sports!

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mandrel posted:

Yeah, I thought the general consensus was that he's a pretty good actor who never really got away from the stigma of being in Disney Channel movies and looking like a teenager even in his mid-20s. Also that he was the main pick in just about every bit of fantasy casting for the American adaptation of Death Note that apparently never happened.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.
John Williams returning for all three movies shows that JJ Abrams and Kathleen Kennedy DO have their heads screwed on right.

Fantastic news.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Cellophane S posted:

John Williams returning for all three movies shows that JJ Abrams and Kathleen Kennedy DO have their heads screwed on right.

Fantastic news.

He's over 80. Not sure he'll be alive for all three movies :ohdear:

If he does croak, I would get Howard Shore to replace him (even though he's no spring chicken either)

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

SirPhoebos posted:

If he does croak, I would get Howard Shore to replace him (even though he's no spring chicken either)

He'll be 87 when episode 9 is out and he's in great health now. Let's hope for the best :)

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012

Cellophane S posted:

Fantastic news.

Shooting scenes at real locations and taking a Jurassic Park approach to CG rather than the prequel approach is very comforting, I have a lot of faith in this movie.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
To Be Honest I'd rather hear Giacchino do the score. Like, a million times more.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

His non Pixar scores have been kind of meh, honestly. I liked his thematic work in the Star Treks, but that's all they are. In fact, judging by the Star Trek scores, I'd definitely rather not.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I felt the Star Trek score was a miss (not in the sense of actually being bad, but being overreliant on one theme), but I've loved his scores for Lost, Speed Racer, and all his Pixar work. He's in my good books and I'd enjoy hearing him tackle Star Wars.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

scary ghost dog posted:

To Be Honest I'd rather hear Giacchino do the score. Like, a million times more.

You're loving crazy sorry.

John Williams is Star Wars' heart and soul. Giacchino would most definitely do a good job but he's no John Williams. You're not one of those who prefer Hans Zimmer's Man of Steel over Superman the Movie are you? Or thinks Williams is "outdated" or something? Have you heard Minority Report? War of the Worlds? War Horse? Lincoln?

Cellophane S fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 27, 2013

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

I like Giacchino, but the Williams score in the prequels is outstanding.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
No lie, John Williams is a large part of why the prequels are as watchable to me as the Original Trilogy. The romantic dialogue in AotC sucks bantha poodoo, but the love theme Williams composed manages to sell this "star crossed galaxy sweeping lovers" concept to me.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Cellophane S posted:

John Williams is Star Wars' heart and soul. Giacchino would most definitely do a good job but he's no John Williams. You're not one of those who prefer Hans Zimmer's Man of Steel over Superman the Movie are you? Or thinks Williams is "outdated" or something? Have you heard Minority Report? War of the Worlds? War Horse? Lincoln?

All of Zimmer's music is the same and Williams is great, but I'd rather see a Star Wars movie with a totally fresh to the franchise crew. Giacchino proved he could do amazing takes on existing scores with Speed Racer and Ghost Protocol; I would much rather hear his version of Star Wars than yet another John Williams orchestration.
Plus, I personally believe Giacchino is the best working composer today. His work for Up is unmatched, his score for The Incredibles is incredible, and the music for Lost was memorable and proved his tonal range.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

scary ghost dog posted:

All of Zimmer's music is the same and Williams is great, but I'd rather see a Star Wars movie with a totally fresh to the franchise crew. Giacchino proved he could do amazing takes on existing scores with Speed Racer and Ghost Protocol; I would much rather hear his version of Star Wars than yet another John Williams orchestration.
Plus, I personally believe Giacchino is the best working composer today. His work for Up is unmatched, his score for The Incredibles is incredible, and the music for Lost was memorable and proved his tonal range.

All of Zimmer's work isn't the same, it's just been similar for the last ~5 years due to him only working on "big" scores and doing similar stuff for each because of topic. He still has top 3 working composer skill/originality when he gets something that interests him (which would be the case if he works for a Spielberg or on a Star Wars or something). John Williams' work on Tintin was excellent and proves that he still has adventurous scores in him. Giancchino hasn't shown the range, skill or originality of a Zimmer or Williams in any way - you're talking top tier of two different approaches as compared to the next tier down that has still yet to prove he can match either of their great work, much less greatEST from either. His Ghost Protocol score wasn't as good as Mission impossible 2, Up wasn't as good as E.T., Prince of Egypt, or Simpsons (unmatched, what?), and Speed Racer than Catch Me if You Can, Black Hawk Down, etc. He relies too much on a singular theme or two and then tonal filler to get back to those same themes, which are called back far to often. :)

If anyone replaces Williams, it should actually probably be Alexadre Desplat, given his rather clean Harry Potter transitions and evolutions, to be honest.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Cellophane S posted:

His Lincoln score is pretty bad, to be fair. Ugh - it was too bombastic as to be distracting - to the point I wish it would just shut off while watching the film at times. It's kind of like his score to The Patriot in that way. Also, Episode 1 was kind of meh as a score, while Episode 3 was pretty great.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Darko posted:

All of Zimmer's work isn't the same, it's just been similar for the last ~5 years due to him only working on "big" scores and doing similar stuff for each because of topic. He still has top 3 working composer skill/originality when he gets something that interests him (which would be the case if he works for a Spielberg or on a Star Wars or something). John Williams' work on Tintin was excellent and proves that he still has adventurous scores in him. Giancchino hasn't shown the range, skill or originality of a Zimmer or Williams in any way - you're talking top tier of two different approaches as compared to the next tier down that has still yet to prove he can match either of their great work, much less greatEST from either. His Ghost Protocol score wasn't as good as Mission impossible 2, Up wasn't as good as E.T., Prince of Egypt, or Simpsons (unmatched, what?), and Speed Racer than Catch Me if You Can, Black Hawk Down, etc. He relies too much on a singular theme or two and then tonal filler to get back to those same themes, which are called back far to often. :)

If anyone replaces Williams, it should actually probably be Alexadre Desplat, given his rather clean Harry Potter transitions and evolutions, to be honest.

I disagree fundamentally on every aspect of this post.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

scary ghost dog posted:

I disagree fundamentally on every aspect of this post.

Why, though? Can you post examples?

For instance, when I say MI-2's score was better, I would say there is nothing in Ghost Protocol that touches, say, this - especially when talking about pulling emotion out of a scene (that wouldn't be there otherwise):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X79HqsVsKRg

You said "nothing touches UP," and yet, Zimmer is currently (as in last year) doing stuff like this with animation with a higher level of orchestration and scoring that doesn't just rely on "theme - fill - theme" that Giancchino hasn't proven capable of yet (and also proves that he can do classical style scoring if he wants to):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoO0s1ukcqQ

And I'd love to hear an explanation of how, say those two things "sound the same" since all of his stuff apparently "sounds the same."

Meanwhile, Williams is currently doing stuff like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMQXgWT3kX8

And when Desplat took over from Williams with Harry Potter, he did stuff like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TB_BLx5c3M

So, as I said, an actual counterpoint?

Darko fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 28, 2013

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

SirPhoebos posted:

A lot of musicians keep making music after they die. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense if you really think about it. But maybe he could do that: keep making music after he dies.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Darko posted:

Why, though? Can you post examples?

For instance, when I say MI-2's score was better, I would say there is nothing in Ghost Protocol that touches, say, this - especially when talking about pulling emotion out of a scene (that wouldn't be there otherwise):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X79HqsVsKRg

You said "nothing touches UP," and yet, Zimmer is currently (as in last year) doing stuff like this with animation with a higher level of orchestration and scoring that doesn't just rely on "theme - fill - theme" that Giancchino hasn't proven capable of yet (and also proves that he can do classical style scoring if he wants to):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoO0s1ukcqQ

And I'd love to hear an explanation of how, say those two things "sound the same" since all of his stuff apparently "sounds the same."

Meanwhile, Williams is currently doing stuff like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMQXgWT3kX8

And when Desplat took over from Williams with Harry Potter, he did stuff like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TB_BLx5c3M

So, as I said, an actual counterpoint?

Well, I'm really lazy and don't feel like typing up a bunch about why I think these Giacchino tracks are better, so I'll just boil it down. I think Giacchino writes amazing themes for his music with very memorable hooks, and even if the music isn't especially complicated or technically advanced, it's very emotional and exciting, which describes Star Wars to a T. Here are my favorite Giacchino tracks that emphasize this point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaLegF2hAxI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZUHlrir4Og
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ4-ZqnP56I

I admit I have no argument for all of Zimmer's music sounding the same. Mostly I dislike Zimmer because the only track of his with music that stayed in my mind is his score for Pirates of the Caribbean. And just like John Williams made brilliant, beautiful music with Spielberg and Lucas, Giacchino makes beautiful music with J J Abrams, and I like to see them work together. That's why I think it's a shame he's not doing Star Wars.

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 28, 2013

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

A lot of musicians keep making music after they die. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense if you really think about it. But maybe he could do that: keep making music after he dies.

Holst has made music for many decades after his death via the medium of John Williams.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
If anyone really wants to hear Giacchino do Star Wars, just ride the new version of Star Tours at your closest Disney park. He rearranged the Williams scores to match the various different versions of the ride, and composed new music for the queue line.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Giacchino would probably do a good job but I'm glad Williams is sticking around. It's hard to match the depth of composition he does on these movies- listening to the score albums brings up all sorts of details you don't hear in the action.

That said, the music for the new films will be inferior strictly because they won't start with the Fox fanfare.

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 28, 2013

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

scary ghost dog posted:

Well, I'm really lazy and don't feel like typing up a bunch about why I think these Giacchino tracks are better, so I'll just boil it down. I think Giacchino writes amazing themes for his music with very memorable hooks, and even if the music isn't especially complicated or technically advanced, it's very emotional and exciting, which describes Star Wars to a T. Here are my favorite Giacchino tracks that emphasize this point:

You uh... are aware that Williams composed E.T, Jurassic Park, Star Wars, Superman and some of the most memorable "hooks" in movie history right? Jaws?

I'm a Giacchino fan but he's not even close in terms of creating memorable melodies.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I haven't seen any of the prequels since theaters, can anyone post a link to a representative track from their soundtracks? Don't remember the music at all, really.

Cellophane S posted:

You uh... are aware that Williams composed E.T, Jurassic Park, Star Wars, Superman and some of the most memorable "hooks" in movie history right? Jaws?

I'm a Giacchino fan but he's not even close in terms of creating memorable melodies.

He also did the music to this obscure '70s movie called Stars Wars which had a pretty good theme song as I recall.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

penismightier posted:

I haven't seen any of the prequels since theaters, can anyone post a link to a representative track from their soundtracks? Don't remember the music at all, really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzVBqBosf5w Duel of the Fates from Episode 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFcuT4Nbcb8 Across the Stars from Episode 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37TkOu-unz0 Battle of the Heroes from Episode 3

Its such a shame that the movies sucked so bad, because these tunes just by themselves were fantastic and this is a reasonably a good sample of what was done there. I have full confidence in Mr. Williams to make some kick rear end themes for the next 3 and anyone who thinks someone else should do them is out of their loving minds.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Recall that 80-90% of the music in Episode 3 was rearrangments from other movies in ther series - and Williams used practicially the same song in both Episode 2 and Harry Potter.

RotS had a great score, it was very operatic - but it was also supposed to be a big send off. Id rather see some fresh blood come in but whatever.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

scary ghost dog posted:

And just like John Williams made brilliant, beautiful music with Spielberg and Lucas, Giacchino makes beautiful music with J J Abrams, and I like to see them work together. That's why I think it's a shame he's not doing Star Wars.

I understand what you're saying, but, honestly, I think that's more of a case of "relate a composer to a film I like." In other words, you tend to remember motifs with certain films more than other, often dependent on reception. No one remembers the Angels and Demons motifs added because no one saw/liked the movie in the first place, for instance.

I'll use your Pixar stuff as an example. Could it be because you -liked- UP more than comparable animated movies and thus did a score - relation thing with it? Because, if you're talking "rousing thematics," what animated films hit higher heights with consistent and memorable themes than How to Train Your Dragon by John Powell ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLfyksVrChY ) or Kung Fu Panda (Powell/Zimmer): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duRKalDDUik .

Out of modern composers, only around 3-4 have proven that they can do themes + orchestrations on the level of Williams' Star Wars stuff, and Giacchino isn't really one of them. For instance, if he scored Empire, there would be no Asteroid Theme, for one thing, it's decidedly more complex than anything he's scored (which is what tonally adds to why it sounds so great), and secondly, because he tends to do two themes and rely on them totally, so you'd just have a variation of the Han and Leia theme for that section since Han and Leia are in the Falcon during it.

Reference (drat Youtube for taking the original down, this is the best I can do):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3IIeNorhVU

I mean, that's so technically proficient that I've seen two orchestral arrangements simply not able to do it (DSO and OSO). And it sounds fantastic on top of that. I think that's more of what I and others are referring to - even myself that likes more...tonal-mood scores will agree on this. Star Wars needs more than just themes, it needs a level of grandeur from the orchestrations on top of it that come from a level of complexity that only certain composers can do at this point.

Darko fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 29, 2013

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7T98bF0O60

I just want to see ShortRound marry an Ewok.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
William's best work is on Empire Strikes Back and if there's one truly reprehensible thing about the special editions, it's that the scenes that they insert require cutting/butchery of tracks like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfubGDQRT9Y

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

penismightier posted:

I'm going to do a little different, since the "standout" tracks aren't necessarily representative of the films, in my opinion. For instance, Phantom Menace's score wasn't very aurally...pleasing...probably because Williams had so little on film to work with. Duel of the Fates' stands out so much because it's the only likable-tune thing on that score (which isn't how it appears in the movie) - otherwise, it's mostly quick callbacks with some motifs added that aren't as good as the OT's motifs.

So, here at 1:05, for instance, starts what is basically the Trade Federation motif-march, which is not as good as the Empire march, and the rest is typical of most of the transitions/fills in the movie. 2:00 in you'll hear how Duel of the Fates is typically mixed into the score in the films, sometimes in weird points where I can't figure out why it's used (Anakin riding the speeder bike in Episode 2, what?), and mostly briefly at a time, as it's almost always in a montage of sorts. 3:10ish is the victory fanfare for young Anakin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WyVs_L8z8E

...more later.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The prequels don't have the big double-disc near-complete scores the OT has had, too. The Revenge of the Sith CD lacks the great moment right after the opening crawl, the Force theme playing as the Jedi Spaceships prepare to dive into the giant battle.

I'd point to these, though, as favorites:

Anakin's Betrayal

Anakin's Dark Deeds

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

The prequels don't have the big double-disc near-complete scores the OT has had, too.

This is such a travesty.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
After finding the 1997 A New Hope release at a garage sale I kept an eye out for the other two and eventually collected all of them. Even though they're the SE re-edits they're still amazingly nifty.

drat you slow-yet-seemingly-inevitable death of physical media!!!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I always liked how the parade celebration at the end of Episode I (marking the conclusion of Palpatine's ascension to power) is a variation on Palpatine's theme from Episode VI.

Parade

Emperor's Theme

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Similarly Across the Stars is a minor-key variation on the classic Star Wars theme.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Did anybody post this in here yet?

Some good news: At Star Wars Celebration, the executive producer of Episode VII Kathleen Kennedy said the film will focus on story before effects, because effects don't mean poo poo if the characters and plot aren't awesome, and real locations and models will work together with CG, so it won't be exclusively green screened like the prequel trilogy.

She produced Jurassic Park, so now I'm pretty optimistic :dance:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 29, 2013

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah, I remember this kind of rhetoric coming out of Spielberg before Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wank posted:

Yeah, I remember this kind of rhetoric coming out of Spielberg before Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was released.
Well let's be fair. While Crystal Skull wasn't as good as the original Indy movies, it was still leagues better than any of the Star Wars prequels.

• Locked thread