Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
The Studio Ghibli Mondo vinyl is up.

And apparently it's only available in the US and Canada.

Mondo is the worst.

chime_on posted:

Pretty sure they will cancel any order from that link that doesn't come from a current subscriber. I've been wondering if I was going to re-up this year, but it's just too drat expensive now. $50 more for the same amount of LPs is hard to swallow, especially after he changed his mind about giving a t-shirt to the last subscription even though the site had a graphic that clearly showed you would get one. Plus, he's releasing things outside of the subscription anyway (like The Fog), which I just find irritating.

Nah, the link is for everyone who saw him post it on the forums, so it's legit.

The Fog thing definitely sucks, but for whatever it's worth, subscribers get first dibs on new items apparently.

It's still ridiculously pricy though.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
Which version of Duty Now for the Future should I get? I really really like the pink/blue versions but the other is cheaper.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Got back from vacation, thankfully the Goodbye Horses record was delivered to the office and not my doorstep. My note indicated I was the first man in Austin to get it---either it was just a day for gender-specific pronouns or there is a lady or several in this town who have good taste.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Oh baby. Something tells me this is going to sounds just as amazing as it looks.

Paper Bag Records own. :colbert:

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The Studio Ghibli Mondo vinyl is up.

Ugh I really wanted to get this for my girlfriend but $7 shipping and $30 for the record itself..

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
Got something in today...

Graciously it came with a free gift that was a duplicate of something I already had...

Giving away my new extra copy of this Ramones tribute 7" to the first US goon to send me an email asking for it. (since I don't have PMs anymore)

editing out details.

cheapandugly fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 28, 2013

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

cheapandugly posted:

Graciously it came with a free gift that was a duplicate of something I already had...

Does it have Mmmbop?

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
No. Hanson are a boy band and The Hanson Brothers are a man band.
Also, Allen Wren has claimed it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

cheapandugly posted:

No. Hanson are a boy band and The Hanson Brothers are a man band.
Also, Allen Wren has claimed it.

I had no idea the the actors from Slap Shot formed a band.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
Barnes & Noble are having a sale, 50% off on selected records. There's some good poo poo in there, I ordered a copy of In The Court of the Crimson King with priority shipping to Australia for $25.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

david puddy posted:

Barnes & Noble are having a sale, 50% off on selected records. There's some good poo poo in there, I ordered a copy of In The Court of the Crimson King with priority shipping to Australia for $25.

Thanks a bunch.

My personal recommendations would be Beirut's The Flying Club Cup for 8 bucks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCkT4K-hppE

The absolute classic, Endtroducing by DJ Shadow for 14.50, although I don't know for how much a copy usually goes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32X-ieCav-M

The Veils record Sun Gangs is definitely worth 8 bucks, so check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVTfNVF_SPY

And for 50 cents more you can get the solid third album from The Dodos, No Color:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKUN4ljm3AI

But I think the best deal is that for the 16 Horsepower compilation album, Yours Truly, which routinely goes for above 40 bucks on eBay and Discogs. It's only 10 bucks here, and the music is just fantastic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL5_8Tf1Yks

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
I got Super Furry Animals' Guerrilla on vinyl. To my naked eye, both records (it's two LPs) look like they're in perfect condition; however, they sound like complete poo poo when I play them: the main symptoms are extremely loud crackling and skipping. I've tried cleaning them with a brush and using a static gun--neither does anything. Do you think it's just a bad pressing or that the records are irretrievably warped? I was thinking maybe washing them would help, but I'm pretty sure I'm hosed...

Please help. I got a pretty good deal on the vinyl...every other listing online is two or three times as much as what I paid. I'm totally bummed out. I'm sad because this is pretty much my favorite album ever and I was so happy I finally got it on vinyl. I guess it probably doesn't sound any better on vinyl than it does on CD, but I was still hoping I could play my new vinyl once in a while just because...

turnip kid fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 28, 2013

Family Photo
Dec 26, 2005
*cheese*

david puddy posted:

OBVIOUSLY the best deal

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
Christ, I just spent 50 bucks I didn't have on Deep Purple - In Rock, King Crimson - Court of, and Clutch - Strange Cousins From the West. I have the worst impulse control.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Oh baby. Something tells me this is going to sounds just as amazing as it looks.

Does that come with a lyric sheet? I'm very curious about the lyrics on this album, especially the ones on Queens. I can swear I hear "I'll light a joint..." but it seems kind of out of character for the song.

WASDF fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 28, 2013

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

david puddy posted:

Wow, I grabbed the NIN Pretty Hate Machine remaster and LCD Soundsystem's This Is Happening with a few 50% off Criterion blu rays, and it was only $16 for priority shipping. Awesome.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

WASDF posted:

Does that come with a lyric sheet? I'm very curious about the lyrics on this album, especially the ones on Queens. I can swear I hear "I'll light a joint..." but it seems kind of out of character for the song.

Nope. I get the feeling that you're kind of meant to just interpret it however you hear it. A lot of the vocals seem intentionally difficult to understand, in a Sigur Ros kind of way.

gargamale
Oct 11, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Nope. I get the feeling that you're kind of meant to just interpret it however you hear it. A lot of the vocals seem intentionally difficult to understand, in a Sigur Ros kind of way.

Yeah, I always took Sonic Titan's lyrics to be more of a textural thing and didn't really expect it to mean much other than another instrument.
Great frickin' album though, and I would have scooped it up as well had I been in better financial times.

I'm not sure of this is bad form or not, but people looking for this album is always coming up in this thread. I am selling my copy of Demon Days, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3562224. My electric bill was insane and am short on rent this month, so I'm making sacrifices to help.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

david puddy posted:

Nice. Took a quick look--there's some good stuff in there.

Rusty - Rodan
Chrome - Alien Soundtracks
Television Personalities - And Don't the Kids Just Love It
Townes Van Zandt - For the Sake of the Song
Karen Dalton - 1966

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

I, Butthole posted:

Wow, I grabbed the NIN Pretty Hate Machine remaster and LCD Soundsystem's This Is Happening with a few 50% off Criterion blu rays, and it was only $16 for priority shipping. Awesome.

I ordered 4 records and international shipping was only 10 bucks.

It's how it should be everywhere, honestly.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

david puddy posted:

gently caress me, I'm broke as hell but I just HAVE to pick up Bjork's Voltaic boxset, it'll never be that cheap again.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
So I guess this is the thread to ask this. I have a copy of "Sucking in the Seventies" that is labeled "Promotional Not for Sale".

I've always wondered what that may be worth. I haven't really been able to find anything online.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Crain posted:

So I guess this is the thread to ask this. I have a copy of "Sucking in the Seventies" that is labeled "Promotional Not for Sale".

I've always wondered what that may be worth. I haven't really been able to find anything online.

Promo copies of basically every album are actually really common. They could have been given to a radio station, club or even record store.

The best thing about them is they're often less played than traditional copies (if they belonged to a radio station). Not really worth any extra dough though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Your picture doesn't do the "haze" justice. You gotta hold it up to the light, maaan (mine came on Thursday too).

Owsla posted:

They're the later model of the Pioneer HPM-60....

Ok, so I spent Friday afternoon/evening finishing up with the inside of the Yamaha (CR-2040) and setting it up on the Expedit. No problems yet and the whole thing seems sturdy enough. But HOLY poo poo what a difference in sound. I really can't believe that I waited this long to swap it in. It turns out that buzzwords like "expanded soundstage," "clear imaging," and "you'll hear things you didn't hear before and play louder without distortion" aren't entirely audiophile bullshit- because I am an absolute believer in how much better this thing is at making sounds come out of speakers and headphones.

Now that's not to say that I still don't love my Nakamichi, or that it's not a fantastic sounding receiver- but it's pretty clear that it'll do better in a room with a more compact setup- like, say...my bedroom or office. I guess that going from 55 WPC to 120 has reset all of my expectations.

But wait, there's more....

So after reading Owsla's stuff about the HPM series and spending some time on Google, Ebay, and various nerd forums I decided to peruse Craigslist for audio stuff as I often do. Turns out that there was a guy selling a pair of HPM-900s a few blocks away.

The 900 is the successor to the HPM-100, and the consensus seems to be "sounds better, looks worse." The word is that Pioneer tightened up a lot of the disparity between high and low that made the 100s so polarizing, but they also replaced the fancy wood veneer with '80s vinyl and removed a lot of the internal bracing. They also replaced the paper woofer with a graphite polymer one- something that makes it better but also infinitely more fragile, expensive, and difficult to find if one of them needs replacing.

With all of that in mind, I headed to this guy's apartment around noon yesterday (Saturday). First impressions were good, considering that he's the sort of hi-fi collector that makes 99.9% of the people on Audiokarma look sane by comparison (I'd honestly call him a hoarder). Literally (yes, literally) every single wall, surface, and free spot that I looked at was covered in audio equipment. There were choice cuts from every conceivable era and manufacturer stacked on top of each other right up to the ceiling- rows of speakers on top of speakers on top of receivers on top of amps on top of more speakers.

On the one hand it was kind of cool- this guy was like the Pokemon champion of audio collectors. I wouldn't have my apartment this way but there was something sordidly impressive about seeing that scale of accomplishment, even with a hobby that most would find insufferable. On the other, it was pretty clear that he lived alone and that this stuff had completely dominated his life (there was gear in the bathroom). It was also pretty sad to see so many great pieces of equipment- things that probably would've been centerpieces in somebody's home and given them hours of enjoyment- stacked like skulls in a catacomb. None of them would probably ever see use again unless he sold them or died- and in that case they'd probably have a better chance of being dumped by family members/a landlord unaware of their value.

He had set the speakers in question up in the middle of his living room connected to a Sansui G-8000. He explained that everything on them was original- including the woofer cones- but they had been refoamed in ~2006 (aw yusss....jackpot). He simply wasn't a fan of the "West Coast" sound (any read about the HPM series will undoubtedly bring this term up multiple times) and was looking to get rid of them as fast as he could in order to make room for another pair of speakers that he was picking up on Monday. He cued up a playlist of various genres- which started with the orchestral opening of Tron: Legacy :pcgaming:- and within fifteen minutes I had learned two things:

1- I'm a big fan of the West Coast sound.

2- I'm so glad that luck pushed me in the direction of the CR-2040 instead of the Sansui G-8000 that I'd been hoping to score on Ebay at the time. This was back in December when I lived in Connecticut, and that particular bidding session had gotten way too expensive way too fast (like, 'going from $250 to $700+' expensive). Dejected, I checked Craigslist on a whim and found a dude in Queens selling the Yamaha for $90. The left channel didn't work well, it was missing the volume knob, somebody had spilled varnish on top, and the faceplate was absolutely covered in grime and ballpoint pen. Joke's on him though, because all it needed was some serious Deoxit and compressed air treatment ($30 total for supplies), a replacement knob ($15), a light cabinet sanding, and a lot of elbow grease (free) and now it totally slays- though it still needs new veneer. I think both receivers sound equally good, but the Sansui just looks gaudy as all gently caress in person by comparison. The soft aluminum and understated "Tivoli Audio" look on the Yamaha fits way better in my world of DWR and unapologetic Apple patronage than the "Jukebox from Xanadu" thing that the Sansui's got going on.

Anyway, we somehow managed to get both speakers in my tiny-rear end coupe (even if they are "lightened" compared to their predecessors, they still weigh 50 goddamn pounds each) and I got them home. Total expenditure- $250 for the pair.

So now take whatever improvement I got out of initially replacing the receiver and MULTIPLY IT BY, LIKE, TEN. I ran these against my pre-existing $16 Goodwill specials and it wasn't even a dignified fight. You'd get like 30% of the way up the volume scale and bass on the other speakers (Technics SB-K14) would just be a distorted, sloppy mess while the Pioneers would seem to suggest "you wanna go louder?" and then *more bass would simply appear*:iiam::iia: without a hint of sloppiness...just, these things don't loving quit.

They're perfect, everything sounds so transparent and precise but still kinda bright and in-your-face and...just loving amazing, really. I've spent the last day and a half throwing every kind of genre of music at them and I have yet to be disappointed. I'm so happy with the way this has been turning out. As far as I can tell, I've pretty much got my ideal setup here and I've spent less than half- and done it in half the time- of what I initially thought I would.

Next on my list is to get some kind of support for these to get them off of the ground a bit- both for sound and because I'm paranoid that somebody's gonna put a foot through one of those practically-irreplaceable woofer cones. That'll be followed by new veneer for the receiver which I've got all picked out- zebrawood (or, rather, its more ethically-sourced and half as-expensive dyed imitation counterpart). From there- adding a USB DAC and a green Debut Carbon to replace the TT (mostly because I think it looks cool)- and then on to headphones, I guess....:10bux::20bux::10bux::20bux:

Anyway here's pictures:

This is the receiver, looking less and less like a furniture collapse hazard as the days go by:

And here's how everything looked Friday afternoon:

Comparisons....

...and not even close. The Pioneers also weigh about 5 times as much.

New (old) hotness:

Edit:

And the old receiver, just for the hell of it:

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 29, 2013

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Ok, so I spent Friday afternoon/evening finishing up with the inside of the Yamaha (CR-2040) and setting it up on the Expedit. No problems yet and the whole thing seems sturdy enough. But HOLY poo poo what a difference in sound. I really can't believe that I waited this long to swap it in. It turns out that buzzwords like "expanded soundstage," "clear imaging," and "you'll hear things you didn't hear before and play louder without distortion" aren't entirely audiophile bullshit- because I am an absolute believer in how much better this thing is at making sounds come out of speakers and headphones.

Did you recap it? I've heard that does wonders for old 70s audio stuff.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Chill Callahan posted:

Did you recap it? I've heard that does wonders for old 70s audio stuff.

No, I haven't. Maybe sometime in the future...like next year....

To be honest, I don't really think it needs one yet.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

david puddy posted:

Does anyone know if the copy of Sonic Youth's Goo they are selling is the 4LP version? It's because the normal price of it is $40, which seems a tad high for a regular LP.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Doctor Cave posted:

Does anyone know if the copy of Sonic Youth's Goo they are selling is the 4LP version? It's because the normal price of it is $40, which seems a tad high for a regular LP.

I'm going to say yes, because it says the label is Goofin, and the only reissue Goofin put out is the 4 LP version.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I'm going to say yes, because it says the label is Goofin, and the only reissue Goofin put out is the 4 LP version.

I meant to say Dirty instead of Goo, but your answer applies to both. Discogs seems to confirm what you say. Might give it a shot.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Doctor Cave posted:

I meant to say Dirty instead of Goo, but your answer applies to both. Discogs seems to confirm what you say. Might give it a shot.

That sold me on it. Also got 'Surfer Rosa', St Vincent's 'Marry Me', and 'Hombre Lobo'. Can't believe I got all that for less than 40 quid delivered to Japan.

I would have gotten more but spend a bit too much on vinyl recently and have to pace myself.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

shmee posted:

That sold me on it. Also got 'Surfer Rosa', St Vincent's 'Marry Me', and 'Hombre Lobo'. Can't believe I got all that for less than 40 quid delivered to Japan.

I would have gotten more but spend a bit too much on vinyl recently and have to pace myself.

I got Marry Me as well! :):hf::)

The dispatch time on Dirty said 1-2 weeks, so I hope they have it in stock.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Doctor Cave posted:

I got Marry Me as well! :):hf::)

I've never heard it, but her episode of 'Guitar Moves' sold me on the need for more St Vincent in my life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE7R4nKBK8Y

Doctor Cave posted:

The dispatch time on Dirty said 1-2 weeks, so I hope they have it in stock.

Me too :ohdear:

I found 'Heartattack and Vine' today for nearly nothing, but it is pretty warped so I need to make use of the hot weather and some heavy books and other unwarping it'll-never-work-isms to make it listenable. Oh well, at least I paid nearly nothing for it. And I found a super cheap copy of Beck's 'Mellow Gold' which is like new so it's ups and downs.

Plus my copy of the 'Blade Runner' soundtrack turned up and it has a number which means it's in the original run of 5,000 which means.. er.. something?

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Electric Bugaloo posted:

No, I haven't. Maybe sometime in the future...like next year....

To be honest, I don't really think it needs one yet.

Yeah, some don't. I was just curious what you did to the insides to get it to sound so much better.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time
Went to an awesome Run the Jewels show and picked up the LP put out by Fools Gold. Super stoked to have these 3 records in my collection next to each other.

R.A.P Music and Run the Jewels are both coloured vinyl 2LP with one LP being instrumentals which is really awesome.

Pookdaddy G
Jun 13, 2007

Elrobot posted:

Went to an awesome Run the Jewels show and picked up the LP put out by Fools Gold. Super stoked to have these 3 records in my collection next to each other.

R.A.P Music and Run the Jewels are both coloured vinyl 2LP with one LP being instrumentals which is really awesome.

The packaging for RAP Music is fantastic. I too saw RTJ this summer, and immediately purchased a copy online. Still waiting for it to arrive, but El-P and Mike make such a fantastic duo.

Handshake Drugs
Oct 21, 2010

shmee posted:

I've never heard it, but her episode of 'Guitar Moves' sold me on the need for more St Vincent in my life:

Yes you do, everyone does. Thanks for bringing up that sale at B&N, I just spent about $130 on stuff from there. The new deluxe 4xLP set of Nevermind for $40 is the cheapest I've ever seen it.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

In the Court of the Crimson King's availability changed from "ships immediately" to "ships in 1-2 weeks" :( Hopefully they actually do send it out, I know that phrase on Amazon means it's pretty much gone.

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001

david puddy posted:

In the Court of the Crimson King's availability changed from "ships immediately" to "ships in 1-2 weeks" :( Hopefully they actually do send it out, I know that phrase on Amazon means it's pretty much gone.

Yeah, my estimated ship date is August 19 for all three records. Brutal.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Hmm it says my order is expected to ship tomorrow.. I'll take that with a grain of salt for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Smekerman posted:

Yeah, my estimated ship date is August 19 for all three records. Brutal.

:negative:
Should have used the slightly cheaper shipping option, this is going to arrive when I'm overseas anyway.