Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
Yo Duck, popping off on people who just want to talk about and enjoy the side materials makes you look like a sperglord too. :ssh: Now go 1cc everything on Lunatic and become not a scrub.

Speaking of scrubbery, gently caress me the camera Tengu games are hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Chenergy
Aug 30, 2007

Its black mist swallows all.

MadRhetoric posted:

Yo Duck, popping off on people who just want to talk about and enjoy the side materials makes you look like a sperglord too. :ssh: Now go 1cc everything on Lunatic and become not a scrub.

Speaking of scrubbery, gently caress me the camera Tengu games are hard.

I started playing Double Spoiler and pretty much hit a brick wall once I got to stage 6, but at least I don't have to deal with the stage 3-5 music anymore, that song certainly got repetitive fast.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

a cartoon duck posted:

Holy gently caress you guys stop sperging about shmups and play more shmups.

I'm pretty sure this thread is a quarantine to keep all the creepy normal people who want to sperg out about their favorite flying little girls all in one place.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Basically if you can beat GFW Extra, you sure as hell can beat PoFV.

http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=29474
http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=29475

Happy now? I even managed to pull both of those off on my first try today, I guess bullet hell skills are transferable between games after all.

Oh, and for the record, pretty much everything you said was only true for Eiki Shiki. Her skill basically means there's twice as many bullets on screen any given moment, so you get a significantly higher score, and her L2 is actually spammable thanks to her ludicrous spell charge when being too trigger-happy with Komachi always meant I had no way to defend myself when poo poo went south.

And yeah, the photography games are hard as balls. They basically run the whole range from Stage 1 Easy to Stage 6 Lunatic difficulty-wise compared to other games, so if you're only used to the lower difficulties that stuff becomes impenetrable quick. At least I kinda managed to brute-force my way through and unlocked Hatate in Double Spoiler, what with it being easier than Shoot The Bullet. I pretty much gave up on reaching the Extra scenes in STB at this point.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Namtab posted:

I don't know about meiling but Rumia's back from the day when youkai represented concepts more. In this case the concept of being amazing total darkness. If she were made nowadays she'd probably be a named fairy.

I don't entirely disagree, but that's also what I meant by a youkai of youkai-ness. "Humanity's fear of the dark" is often used as a metaphor for youkai in general. Which honestly makes it kind of sad that the person representing this is a stupid stage 1 boss.

Regarding sperging about the games instead of the side materials, I'm the sort of scrub who bomb-spams my way through Normal and pats myself on the back. I've never really had the patience for Extra or higher. I also very much dislike PoFV and the other weird gimmicky games like GFW. The photography games are interesting in concept, but I'm terrible at them since my instincts are to bomb through spellcards I'm not comfortable with. As opposed to being forced to pseudo-bomb your way through everything like some kind of weird puzzle.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Regarding the games, 1CCing IN on normal is the limit of my skill.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Namtab posted:

Talking about skill level, mine is just barely being able to beat the earlier Windows games on Lunatic with all 5 lives and 3 continues. I should probably stop playing lunatic when it doesn't improve your skill level. It's just pain. But, hey, I captured one of Remilia's spellcards, so I'm happy with that.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Namtab posted:

I can stretch that a bit to 1cc Normal on SA but that's really the limit of what I can do and that's only after a lot of full-game retries.

I just don't play the games that much, but I'm totally down for the community stuff.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Namtab posted:

You're better then me at least. I can barely 2CC it on Easy. (Granted, I've really only played IN like three times.)

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

a cartoon duck posted:

being too trigger-happy with Komachi always meant I had no way to defend myself when poo poo went south.

Sounds like you just don't know how to channel the power of The Boat. Seriously though, congrats! Now play Ultra which is actually easy as hell. :unsmigghh:

Topic wise, I have only actually ever 1cced LLS, EoSD and PoFV. This is probably because I refuse to play anything less than Hard, but alas.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
I can 1CC most of the games including spin offs, and I am king of (one of) the fighting games.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
1CC'ed 7 and 8 on Normal, can beat 8 on Hard (but not 1CC it) and haven't really played the double digits long enough to clear 'em. The MoF challenge from way back was the first time I had touched the game.

I still haven't played UFO more than once.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I have a 1 credit clear on all games' Normal modes with the exception of 5.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

a cartoon duck posted:

And yeah, the photography games are hard as balls. They basically run the whole range from Stage 1 Easy to Stage 6 Lunatic difficulty-wise compared to other games, so if you're only used to the lower difficulties that stuff becomes impenetrable quick.

They are not, the two games are crazy hard from the beginning. I've 1CCed Perfect Cherry Blossom and Imperishable Night on Normal, and have yet to get through stage 2-2 on Shoot The Bullet. :sigh:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

There's something weird with IN. I got the controller to start working the way I wanted to over UFO, and then I realised, "Oh, I actually hate UFO." and decided to try IN, but moving the joytstick was about as effective as using the keyboard keys or the d-pad. It's weird because I didn't actually have this problem when I went back and tried out PCB again. Regarding PCB, I always played with slow-mode because I'm awful like that, but I decided to turn it off (Although I kept 5 instead of 3 for default lives), and was able to get near the end of Alice until my first continue popped up.

I was able to get through stage one without a single life being lost, but I seem to have forgotton how to deal with patterns that spin in a circle like Chen. This would happen to be my awful, "Hey, I just started again!" replay if anyone cares to watch.

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jul 27, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Try the vsync patch. IN isn't quite as bad about its delay as EoSD and PCB were, but it's still there to an extent.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
I 1cc'd IN on normal a while back and then managed to 1cc TD Normal a few weeks ago. That felt pretty good.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Just to make it clear, IN is considered to be the easiest game, right?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Kheldragar posted:

No. People who think that are wrong. The easiest older game is Perfect Cherry Blossom and the easiest newer game is Mountain of Faith.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Kheldragar posted:

Basically, though it'll gently caress you up in later games, since it has super lenient deathbomb windows, and basically everyone is pre-determined rather than aimed or random patterns. It's a good enough game to start on though!

edit: It's kinda divisive I guess

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I guess it doesn't help that I can only get to stage three on the older games without using my first continue, which I refuse to do. I'm still needing advice as to how to avoid Cirno's first nonspell on lunatic. I was finally able to get past Daiyousei's because I bothered not to bomb through, but I'm not sure how to get through this. I get walled and the only way to make it through that pattern of hail is luck as it stands.

I normally play Reimu A on EoSD; this picture is from a long time ago since I can't very well record, fraps gives 20 FPS, and taking a screenshot during midgame is out of the question.

Fake-edit: I think I see a window of opportunity if I can slip through that small space where the two patterns of hail are. I should test that.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Is your skill level at Lunatic?

I mean I wouldn't bother with Lunatic if you can't beat Normal and Hard first.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Volt Catfish posted:

Is your skill level at Lunatic?

I mean I wouldn't bother with Lunatic if you can't beat Normal and Hard first.

I've been playing for almost a year or so now, albeit on and off. When I first got into the games, I decided that the only difficulty I would play at would be lunatic - and it's kind of stuck with me, to be honest. With continues, and when I was playing actively, I was able to beat EoSD, PCB, and IN. These are the only games I've beaten, and PCB and IN were beaten with slow mode. EoSD would be my only legitamate 3cc. I've recently started playing the games again because of this thread after many months off, and I'm back to being able to beat stage 1 without bombs or lives through all the games that matter to me.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Frankly it seems kind of sad that you're not getting to experience to later stages. Personally, I always play on Easy first just to see the stages and hear the music. Never seeing past stage 3 would be pretty demoralizing to me.

Volt Catfish posted:

No. People who think that are wrong. The easiest older game is Perfect Cherry Blossom and the easiest newer game is Mountain of Faith.

Uh... does MoF still count as "newer" at this point? It's the difference between a 6 year old game and an 9 year old game. I've heard most people think Ten Desires is pretty easy.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

It's only because I'm trying to actually learn the stage by not bomb-spamming through hard sections as well as not using continues. I still get peeved whenever I lose a life and still have bombs availible. As an additional question, where would you rank the difficulty on a lunatic stage 1/2? Because stages 4+ on lunatic are a completely different story, I'm wondering if normal/hard's later stages are at or above this.

And I consider MoF to be newer simply because it's the start of the new system that's apparently been changed once again with ten desires. Plus, it IS techincally newer than PCB.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Volt Catfish posted:

But it's true though! I am terrible at Touhou games, and the only game I ever actually finished, on Easy mode, was Impossible Night. Sure, it took a continue or two, but I finished it! I've had no such luck with any of the other games.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

But it's true though! I am terrible at Touhou games, and the only game I ever actually finished, on Easy mode, was Impossible Night. Sure, it took a continue or two, but I finished it! I've had no such luck with any of the other games.

It doesn't count unless you get to Stage 6b, which you only get to if you don't use continues. Sorry, dude.

Also yeah, Ten Desires is way easier than Mountain of Faith if you ask me. At least, TD doesn't have Aya or Kanako as bosses. To date TD is the only Touhou game I managed to 1cc on Normal without losing a life.

Oh and Kheldragar, have you been a shmup player before you got into Touhou? 'cuz if you haven't starting straight away with Lunatic seems pretty loving crazy.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

a cartoon duck posted:

It doesn't count unless you get to Stage 6b, which you only get to if you don't use continues. Sorry, dude.

Oh. Actually I wasn't aware that there is a stage 6b. I could hardly have been faulted for assuming I had finished!

I guess this means I've never finished any Touhou game, ever. Oh well! I've never been a fan of shoot em up games anyway. :shobon:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Actually, no, I haven't. Hell, I've never even played a non-lunatic. You don't really ever get used to the amount of bullets in the later stages of lunatic unless you're one of the best players in the world, but getting pretty used to stages 1-3 to where you don't lose a life, or do just one, is pretty all right. As it stands, I'm out of practice, and whenever I lose a life in the earlier stages because of this, I essentially go ragemode and stop playing for a while - rinse and repeat. I'm just wondering what the earlier lunatic stages compare to on the easier difficulties as if stage 3 lunatic was comparable to stage 6 normal; you can't really compare stage 4 of EoSD to stage 3 of EoSD. It's like a whole different world. I personally think some of Patchouli's spell cards are easier than those books on the normal stage.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I still say that IN is easier than PCB because Stage 4 in IN doesn't drag on for nearly 10 minutes.

Seriously that is the worst part of PCB for me. It feels like the stage never ends and by the time Lily White flies in I feel like I should be on the Stage 5 Boss.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Yeah, EoSD stage 4 is pretty brutal. You really have to stage practice and memorize that poo poo, doing it on intuition is not good enough.

As for Cirno's first non-spell, you'll want to avoid the first two triangular waves altogether. Start from the bottom-left and sweep right, or vice versa. You won't have enough room to avoid the third wave, so you'll have to weave in between (but the space between the bullets is wider than for the first two waves). Then the circular pattern comes, which is just streaming. Rinse and repeat.

(It's a lot harder than it sounds, yeah. A lot of the time I just bomb it because gently caress that.)

ikaragu
Oct 24, 2010
One thing I always liked about Perfect Cherry Blossom, back when I only had the demo to play with, was how well it functioned as a three stage game if you cranked the difficulty up a bit. The third stage with Alice was really climactic (deliberately so, according to the wiki). It's probably because that's how I experienced the game early on that I really appreciated stage 4 as a palate cleanser, due to how chilled out it begins, more than than pretty much any other stage in the series, you really get the sense that you're going on a journey. The gradual transformation of scenery, music and enemy types transform during the level works to put literal and figurative distance between the three stage and six stage game, which I think was a smart move.

Stage 4 of PCB and stage 5 of Subterranean Animism are possibly my favourite parts of the series for being a little bit protracted and moody. Although I guess a lot of people would disagree with me on that.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kheldragar posted:

Actually, no, I haven't. Hell, I've never even played a non-lunatic.

In your case, Mountain of Faith with its plentiful bombs would probably be easiest; IN doesn't scale well with difficulty at all and while it's the easiest on Easy and Normal, on Lunatic it's just a straight up wall of unfun bullshit after stage 2 thanks to the whole "familiar" system they've got in the game.

Subterranean Animism is the exact opposite, in that it's easily the hardest game on Easy and Normal, but Lunatic isn't too much harder than other games in the series, save for the brutal Stage 5.

PCB's a good, moderate-difficulty game all-around, but as noted...

Cernunnos posted:

I still say that IN is easier than PCB because Stage 4 in IN doesn't drag on for nearly 10 minutes.

It tends to drag in points. ZUN really wanted the entirety of Capital City of Flowers in the Sky to play in his game, I guess.

Stage-to-stage difficulty comparison is hard, since the complexity of spell cards and stage bullets gets higher with increasing stages no matter what, it's simply that higher difficulties make them faster, denser, and remove the margin for error. You can make a lot more mistakes on a Normal run without dying than on Hard, and so on.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 29, 2013

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
I don't think I've ever beaten a Touhou on anything higher than easy. And I'm totally fine with that. Well, I don't think PoFV counts... does it?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Hazdoc posted:

I don't think I've ever beaten a Touhou on anything higher than easy. And I'm totally fine with that. Well, I don't think PoFV counts... does it?

PoFV is weird; I was able to get to Marisa without losing a life, and I'm the terrible player. I don't even know how many rounds are in PoFV though, to be honest. I started to get my rear end handed to me when I fought Tewi.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

PoFV's story has nine (you can remember because Touhou 9) stages. Stage 1-5 are a complete joke, but 6-9 are pretty intense and bullshit.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
I personally thought PoFV was pretty easy. I don't understand why its the only game I do well on, and I use the word "well" lightly. I can barely beat Easy on most other games, and that is sort of soulcrushing because you have to beat EoSD on normal to get a proper ending.

Maximum Chenergy
Aug 30, 2007

Its black mist swallows all.

Hazdoc posted:

I personally thought PoFV was pretty easy. I don't understand why its the only game I do well on, and I use the word "well" lightly. I can barely beat Easy on most other games, and that is sort of soulcrushing because you have to beat EoSD on normal to get a proper ending.

I'm pretty sure Imperishable Night is the only game where you can actually get a good end on easy. Although my advice to anyone struggling is to start with Ten Desires, and then move on to either Mountain of Faith or Imperishable Night, even if Marisa is kind of a dick (at least I've always had more problems with her than anything else in that game).

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's pretty much common consensus that at least one of IN's Stage 4s will completely gently caress any given player over. It's as hard as Stage 6, if not harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I can deal with Marisa but Reimu just fucks me over. I hear lots of people have trouble managing the stars though.