Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Lost's ending was the only way they could make sense of the whole mess, the last season wasn't even needed.

BSG's actually made up for a lot of the poo poo it tried (and failed) to do. Except for the last 10 minutes or so. Jeeeeeesus.

And that's taking into account I consider Starbuck to be the only good part of the whole thing (yes, even the twist).

E: Bookchat: I'm a fan of Lady Taena's Myrish Swamp on facebook, and you should be too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
Given TVIV's burning hatred of women I can't wait for the bile that'll be spilled over Cersei once they get around to Feast. I'm rereading it now and am in love with how mental and paranoid she's written. Believing Kevan Lannister, possibly the most high-functioning and dedicated member of the Lannister clan remaining, despite the loss of his brother and the near-crippling of his son (and the loss of another son somewhere?), is on the Tyrell's payroll even while he gives her the most sensible and honest advice of anyone is just golden.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
If they nut up and do the Cersei walk of shame, the internet is going to loving explode. I can taste the tumblr tears already.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Not predictable in the sense that I knew exactly what the plan was, but predictable in the sense that the moment they started doing flash-sideways in the final season it was immediately obvious that the flash-sideways scenes were in purgatory.

Dude, I don't want to go all TVIV on your rear end, but I watched the ending and am marathoning through the series at this moment. Have a care to keep the spoilers out of the gurm thread.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
I wouldn't worry. Nobody seems to have the faintest idea how Lost ends. The discussion seems to be "It's Purgatory." "Nuh-uh!" "Uh-huh!" ad infinitum. Nothing is ever answered and nothing is ever addressed. That's how I understand it anyway, speaking as someone who gave up around season 2 - 3 because there were just. So. Many. Jack. Episodes. Jesus Christ that man was duller than a sack of teeth.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Jack and his daddy issues. That dude was more hung up over his jackoff douche father than Robert over Lyanna :argh:

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
In TWOW, Bran is stuck in an underground bunker and must needs enter four, eight, five and ten, six and ten, three and twenty, and two and forty into a WordStar machine.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Whoa, twenty? Forty? Truly, you mean to count by scores. One score and three, two score and two!

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Entering 10 characters into a computer from the 70's every 8 hours? Isn't that how GRRM writes?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Junkenstein posted:

Entering 10 characters into a computer from the 70's every 8 hours? Isn't that how GRRM writes?

This crossover just hit it's peak

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Junkenstein posted:

:drat:

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Junkenstein posted:

:golfclap:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Alright, so I got curious here and did some bad math that might be wrong: Assuming an average character count of 5 for words, using the correct amount of time needed before you enter the numbers (108 minutes), entering 10 characters, I worked out that you could bang out 58,400 words in 6 years.

So if GRRM was writing using the LOST hatch method he could have finished approx 1/8th of ADWD in the same amount of time.

Edit: To elaborate, with a small spoiler for LOST: at some point in the series the crash survivors find out that the button has been continually pushed from 1974 to 2007, assuming that timeline you could have written (either entirely or as close as makes no difference) any ASOIAF book other than ASOS and ADWD.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 29, 2013

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
GRRM is on The Nerdist podcast if anyone wants to hear him mumble about neeps, nuncs and nips.

Edit: He's the first comic book fan apparently!

Wangsucker 69 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 29, 2013

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

blackshreds posted:

GRRM is on The Nerdist podcast if anyone wants to hear him mumble about neeps, nuncs and nips.

Edit: He's the first comic book fan apparently!

They lie to every guest like that.

Stan Lee was one of the first guests. Though I guess maybe he's not a fan?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Chris Hardwick and GRRM. gently caress, I don't think I'd get through that episode without having a stroke.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Uh no, GRRM literally says he was the first person to sign up for Len Wein's first ever comic book convention, therefore he is the first ever fan of comic books. I don't know enough about how to interpret his wheezes and high pitched signaling to figure out if he was joking at all.

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Chris Hardwick and GRRM. gently caress, I don't think I'd get through that episode without having a stroke.

It's definitely a sphincter clenching experience if nothing else.

Haha holy hell GRRM is such a jerk!

Wangsucker 69 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 29, 2013

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Uh no, GRRM literally says he was the first person to sign up for Len Wein's first ever comic book convention, therefore he is the first ever fan of comic books. I don't know enough about how to interpret his wheezes and high pitched signaling to figure out if he was joking at all.

he also invented ice dragons!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

He also invented obesity. He is the ur-fatty.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
http://www.tor.com/stories/2013/07/dangerous-women-george-r-r-martin-excerpt

Excerpt from the original Dance of the Dragons story published in the upcoming Dangerous Women anthology.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Just listened to GURM on the nerdist, and my recommendation is don't bother. The guy has a very high opinion of himself, and literally thinks he is the alpha nerd. If you are curious about the history of conventions or want more info on the origin of wild cards, enjoy.

I really wish ASoS wasn't so good, because I hate being part of this fandom sometimes. At least the show is great.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
George RR Martin is nobody's bitch.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I hate how Gaiman's snobbish one-line remark has become a rallying cry for a certain segment of nerds. Criticise GRRM's plodding output? Within minutes, someone posts "George RR Martin is not your bitch. - Neil Gaiman" with a link to the relevant blog post from, haha holy poo poo, four years ago. And I hate more than it's become this weird thing with those two writers, like it's a mark of pride for them that Gaiman got all huffy and publicly shat on someone who wrote him a letter.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
Just finished re-reading Feast.

quote:

..characters you love or love to hate will be along next year (I devoutly hope) in A Dance with Dragons...

-George R. R. Martin
June 2005

Oh that old familiar rage.

How I've missed you.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

At least it gave us this classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE3lSkD1fNE

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I have been looking for this for months.

"They laughed again. eheheheheheeheheeheheehehe...."""

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I hate how Gaiman's snobbish one-line remark has become a rallying cry for a certain segment of nerds. Criticise GRRM's plodding output? Within minutes, someone posts "George RR Martin is not your bitch. - Neil Gaiman" with a link to the relevant blog post from, haha holy poo poo, four years ago. And I hate more than it's become this weird thing with those two writers, like it's a mark of pride for them that Gaiman got all huffy and publicly shat on someone who wrote him a letter.

You know, I still absolutely love American Gods and Sandman, but the crossover between Grum fans and Neil fans has to be fairly low. And even then, all his marvelous twee ladeeda bullshit gets really grating over the years, whereas Georgie at least has interesting ways of dealing with/avoiding vitriol. Until now, that is, I guess.

What I'm saying is, once you become a mega successful 1%er writer (a minority of a minority), you can afford to be a dick to your critics?

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

I'm Neil Gaiman and my divorced wife does not approve this message *flies off in cotton candy airship*

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Gaiman owns and instead of occasionally dithering with his Wordstar to blog about football he actually produces good material on the regular. The American Gods HBO show is going to have additional material, written at least in part by Neil as opposed to letting show writers pare down Gurm's bloated poo poo.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5vw9RTVky4

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Fargo Fukes posted:

Just finished re-reading Feast.

I'm still working through the Feast/Dance combo, and the writing for these two (not just the plot) seems markedly worse in comparison to the first three. We've got "she didn't know who had the cock and who the oval office," "their arousal was arousing," and "she didn't know if he was inside her or she inside him," among other gems. My latest favourite:

Alayne Stone posted:

Lemony lemony lemon cakes!

Maybe he had a mild stroke between books or something.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I'm still working through the Feast/Dance combo, and the writing for these two (not just the plot) seems markedly worse in comparison to the first three. We've got "she didn't know who had the cock and who the oval office," "their arousal was arousing," and "she didn't know if he was inside her or she inside him," among other gems.

Along with a remarkable increase in mummer's farts (mummery's everything, really), nipples on breastplates, and at some point between Storm and Feast George learned about using "horned" as a euphemism for cuckoldry and decided to use it everywhere as clumsily as possible. The faux-medieval slang didn't bother me before, but it seems to be spiralling out of control the longer the series goes on. I expect the manuscript for Winds of Winter is just "nipples nuncles neeps mummers farts words are wind MANSTAFF".

edit: Can't wait to read about Darkstar's manstaff

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Fargo Fukes posted:

Along with a remarkable increase in mummer's farts (mummery's everything, really), nipples on breastplates, and at some point between Storm and Feast George learned about using "horned" as a euphemism for cuckoldry and decided to use it everywhere as clumsily as possible. The faux-medieval slang didn't bother me before, but it seems to be spiralling out of control the longer the series goes on. I expect the manuscript for Winds of Winter is just "nipples nuncles neeps mummers farts words are wind MANSTAFF".

edit: Can't wait to read about Darkstar's manstaff

You mean fat pink mast, right?

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
I'm sure manstaff was in there somewhere. Don't make me go look. :(

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Darkstar is a brilliant swordsman, excuse me. He wouldn't use a staff. Ser Gerold Dayne packs the Sword of Pleasure in his scabbard.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

I'm still working through the Feast/Dance combo, and the writing for these two (not just the plot) seems markedly worse in comparison to the first three. We've got "she didn't know who had the cock and who the oval office," "their arousal was arousing," and "she didn't know if he was inside her or she inside him," among other gems. My latest favourite:

Don't forget "the moon was sharp like the blade of a knife" or whatever three times in the same chapter.

I also recall one of Dany's chapters where George had one sentence make an entire paragraph.

I still swear that Mummer's Fart is a typo I can't honestly imagine anyone saying it in medieval times.

But hey... DON'T RUSH ME OR YOU'LL GET lovely BOOKS! - The American Tolkien

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

GRRM has a vocabulary akin to a nuncle's neep.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
That the Nerdiest podcast is the biggest blowjob ever given

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el_brio
Feb 17, 2012

Mild stroke of poo poo-dick.