Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Quiet Feet posted:

I vaguely recall seeing Fist of the North Star on TV, complete with some guy who sliced off dude's limbs by punching them. Wasn't there a terrible NES game too?

There were several terrible Famicom games, though only one ever left Japan. :eng101:

Honestly, I think Fist of the North Star has more terrible games based on it than any other property. They keep making them and they keep turning out badly. I've got the PS2 remake of the Sega Master System and it is not good.

And yet for some reason I keep meaning to pick up the Dynasty Warriors game based on it. I'm a sucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Random Stranger posted:

Honestly, I think Fist of the North Star has more terrible games based on it than any other property.

The Simpsons. Seriously, it never loving ends. Even the more recent games that people say are good are pretty bad.

HnK got the awesome fighting game by Arc System Works, and while I haven't played the Ken's Rage games I imagine they're okay, given that they're basically just Dynasty Warriors/Musou reskins.

EDIT: oh, and the Konami arcade game with the swinging punch pads! International version is called Fighting Mania, I think:

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jul 29, 2013

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I remembered the best Fist of the North Star game though we'll never see a home version. There's an arcade game with a bunch of targets around the screen and when prompted the player has to punch all them as fast as they can to kill the on screen opponent.

If you're not playing that by screaming "ATATATATATA!" while flailing your arms, then turning away from the game and saying, "You're already dead," then you're doing it wrong.

Edit: Here's a video of someone playing it poorly. Sure he beats the game, but he doesn't even announce his attacks...

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jul 29, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, you caught me mid-edit. I would kill for one of those cabs, although I imagine they're a bitch to repair.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Is NoA anywhere near Seattle airport? With only access using cab service? Is a tour fun or lame-o?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yeah, you caught me mid-edit. I would kill for one of those cabs, although I imagine they're a bitch to repair.

I think Fight Mania is actually one of the related games, rather than being based on this specific one. The Fist of the North Star version is a spin-off of the existing Punch Mania cabinets.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Random Stranger posted:

I think Fight Mania is actually one of the related games, rather than being based on this specific one. The Fist of the North Star version is a spin-off of the existing Punch Mania cabinets.

Fair enough, that makes sense. I wonder if they ever thought of trying something similar with Kinect... maybe I'll go see what happened to that awful-looking DBZ game.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Is NoA anywhere near Seattle airport? With only access using cab service? Is a tour fun or lame-o?

Nope. It'd be a super expensive cab run too.

How long are you in town?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Do they even do tours? I know they have a shop where you can take things in for warranty service and buy trinkets and such, but if they have tours, I'm gonna have to get over there one of these days. HKR's right, though. It'd probably be $60-ish each way to get there in a cab.

When are you going to be here? I'll buy you a beer or something.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
There are no public tours. I thought the store was employees only but I'm seeing reports contrary to that. In any case, it wouldn't be worth a ~$100 round trip taxi ride from SeaTac.

My wife worked one season in their call center a few years ago and I'm amazed she's even willing to look at a piece of Nintendo equipment after that experience.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Kreeblah posted:

When are you going to be here? I'll buy you a beer or something.

Same here, as long as it's after I get back from vacation [the 5th is when I come back, har har maybe we'll see each other in SeaTac]

e. If you like BattleTech we gotta hit up Airlock in Kirkland [it's near Redmond/NoA] while you're here

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I had a final go at the FF6 SNES with GBA script + MSU-1 but I don't think I'll pick it up again, it's too nuts. I can't even get an SNES assembler to work, which sucks since I have a test MSU1 patch I wanted to have a go with, but I think I'm too lacking in the kind of skills required to get anywhere meaningful without some serious help from someone. I did find out that bsnes version 0.70 is the only version which uses the same MSU1 file structure as the sd2snes, so at least that's one new bit of information.

Similarly, I got the FF6 script done as much as I reasonably could, but the in-battle section of text is far too limiting with its text box sizes and total ROM space to be useful. It's possible to move the pointers elsewhere, but this is, again, far beyond my skills, and would then break the FF3usME tool. This would also require tons of proofing. Truth be told, the GBA version patches a tremendous amount of stuff that is near-impossible to replicate into the SNES version, annoyingly. There is an insane amount of testing required for everything and I suspect this game will break horribly so don't try to speedrun with it or anything like that.

Having said that, here's a zip file containing an IPS patch of what I accomplished so far, with other files with it that is hopefully enough info if anyone else wants to pick up the torch. The IPS patch is for a US v1.1 ROM.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3920747/FF6%20highly%20incomplete.7z

What's done (all are rough first passes):
- The main chunk of text, where something like 90+% of the game's text is. Some text tweaking had to be done to make things fit in some text boxes, and there are certainly areas where the game is likely to break or display weirdly.
- Location names
- Gave everyone lowercase names (this isn't fixed for some in-game battle text)
- Renamed SwdTech to Bushido
- Renamed Fenix Down to Phoenix Down
- Renamed Black, White and Grey spells to be as close to the GBA names as the 6-character limit allowed

I also included FF3/6 table files and dumps of the GBA version's in-game battle text. The output ROM still works in FF3usME.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I've seen them for sale a couple times but never locally for me. I played it a bunch of times when the arcade in the mall had it over 5 years ago and loved it, so I'd want one too.

Only thing is, in America they are all likely pretty roughed up. The game requires fast hand and eye coordination but whenever I saw anyone playing it they always seemed to think it measured strength or something and would slam the pads as hard as they could. Maybe its because people are used to the punching bag arcade games. Or for a blast from the past, the Super Sonic Blastman arcade game. Thank you Super Sonic Blastman!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Blackchamber posted:

I've seen them for sale a couple times but never locally for me. I played it a bunch of times when the arcade in the mall had it over 5 years ago and loved it, so I'd want one too.

Only thing is, in America they are all likely pretty roughed up. The game requires fast hand and eye coordination but whenever I saw anyone playing it they always seemed to think it measured strength or something and would slam the pads as hard as they could. Maybe its because people are used to the punching bag arcade games. Or for a blast from the past, the Super Sonic Blastman arcade game. Thank you Super Sonic Blastman!

Also the closest we have in the West to this are those "Strongman" games where you have to take a mallet and hit something really, really hard to get it to fly up and hit a bell. And most of those were rigged to be impossible, so we're used to just slamming as loving hard as we can.

Man that game looks really loving fun, I wish the local Dave n Busters had it.

:smith: I miss arcades.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zaphod42 posted:

Also the closest we have in the West to this are those "Strongman" games where you have to take a mallet and hit something really, really hard to get it to fly up and hit a bell. And most of those were rigged to be impossible, so we're used to just slamming as loving hard as we can.

Man that game looks really loving fun, I wish the local Dave n Busters had it.

:smith: I miss arcades.

Me too, but it's more of a "I miss arcades full of rows of game cabs". The few near me (the nigh-unkillable kind near cinemas in shopping centers) are now mostly full of stuff like samurai fruit on a big screen. Yet strangely enough they still all have their four-man Daytona cabs. I swear those goddamn things are immortal because I've never seen one in anything less than clean working condition. Also seconding that that fighting mania game looks fun as hell.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 29, 2013

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Just picked up Tetris 2 (NES) and Mickey Mousecapade for $3 each. I've never played them so hopefully they aren't complete poo poo.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Japan has amazing arcade cabinets.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

That was Korean :eng101:

Japan would never release anything so crass!!

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

juliuspringle posted:

Just picked up Tetris 2 (NES) and Mickey Mousecapade for $3 each. I've never played them so hopefully they aren't complete poo poo.
Mickey Mousecapades is an alright game for $3, but not really worth playing through more than once unless you really feel like playing it again. The game was actually made by Hudson, not Capcom (they only published it here in the US), so don't be surprised that it doesn't feel up to par compared to most of the other superior Disney/Capcom titles.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

juliuspringle posted:

Tetris 2 doesn't seem to be particularly well-regarded these days but I think it's pretty good. It's a lot different from Tetris, in some ways it's closer to Dr. Mario (matching up colors to eliminate blocks). I rented the SNES version when I was a kid and had a good time with it.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
If anyone wants a N8 Everdrive with an actual case and goon made sticker, they're now being sold on Retrogate.

http://shop.retrogate.com/EverDrive-N8-Famicom-ver-EDN8.htm

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for the offer guys. I am only here until tomorrow so I'll let you know if I have a free minute. Would definitely love to. Thanks again.

Edit: I realize how ridiculous a Monday meet up is but it looks like around 5pm would work for me. PM me your info if it works for ya. :tipshat:

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 29, 2013

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Thanks for the offer guys. I am only here until tomorrow so I'll let you know if I have a free minute. Would definitely love to. Thanks again.

Edit: I realize how ridiculous a Monday meet up is but it looks like around 5pm would work for me. PM me your info if it works for ya. :tipshat:

Urg. Monday's not necessarily a bad thing, but same day is a bit tough. I'm going to be seeing a movie with a friend of mine after work, so unless you're already planning on being in downtown Bellevue tonight, I'm gonna have to take a rain check. :(

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Kreeblah posted:

Urg. Monday's not necessarily a bad thing, but same day is a bit tough. I'm going to be seeing a movie with a friend of mine after work, so unless you're already planning on being in downtown Bellevue tonight, I'm gonna have to take a rain check. :(

It's cool. CJ is out anyway due to work. Enjoy "The Smurfs 2"! :q:

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Argh, I'm already on the bus home. Rain check for next time.

Is it too soon to talk about PAX Prime Retro Goon Meets?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

HKR posted:

Argh, I'm already on the bus home. Rain check for next time.

It is not too soon to talk about PAX Prime Retro Goon Meets. I'm gonna be there all four days.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Kreeblah posted:

It is not too soon to talk about PAX Prime Retro Goon Meets. I'm gonna be there all four days.

I work downtown but won't be able to take the Friday off most likely (Unless it's an automatic day off, don't know, new job). But after 5 on Friday I'm free. Aside from the Giantbomb panel/meetup I don't have any plans.

We could do a meet offsite at a local bar to accommodate locals who didn't manage to grab tickets. If it has to be games related, we could do Gameworks nearby but that's always full during PAX. Any suggestions are welcome!

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

HKR posted:

Despite being decently close to Seattle, I've still never been to PAX Prime. I'll be there in spirit though, with a piece in the Fangamer-hosted art show.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

zari-gani posted:

Despite being decently close to Seattle, I've still never been to PAX Prime. I'll be there in spirit though, with a piece in the Fangamer-hosted art show.

I only made it once in 2008 and was extremely lucky I was able to snag day badges this year.

Come to an offsite meet! Beer! Awkwardness! Maybe games?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

HKR posted:

I work downtown but won't be able to take the Friday off most likely (Unless it's an automatic day off, don't know, new job). But after 5 on Friday I'm free. Aside from the Giantbomb panel/meetup I don't have any plans.

We could do a meet offsite at a local bar to accommodate locals who didn't manage to grab tickets. If it has to be games related, we could do Gameworks nearby but that's always full during PAX. Any suggestions are welcome!

Went to Gameworks today. Two Marvel vs Capcom 2 machines. :getin:

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.

TmEE posted:

12-19-2009, 03:07 PM
"So then why the hell does every place I have previously seen say that Signetics CPUs can't be overclocked?"

its just rumors basically, that came from the people doing like 16MHz+ clocks. From all the signetics MDs I've messed with, all have worked flawlessly up to 12MHz.

This is a thing I learn after buying another Mega Drive. I guess I have a spare one now if anything goes wrong :retrogames:

Also, I finally got a MD RGB cable and it is amazing. The picture went from a garbled blurry mess interspersed with rainbows to crisp clear picture. I can actually make out what units I'm rescuing in Gain Ground now. The improvement seems a lot better than what I got out of the SFC and no need to mess around looking from a 1chip either.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

HKR posted:

It'd probably be best to avoid Gameworks because of the crowds, though I'm not sure whether anything else by the convention hall wouldn't be completely mobbed. Maybe one of the hotel bars? It'd be pricey, but probably not too bad crowd-wise.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Went to Gameworks today. Two Marvel vs Capcom 2 machines. :getin:

Gameworks owns owns owns. Initial D, Pop'n, Guitarfreaks, and Guinness? Yes please.

Also, PAX meetup would be cool, I think I'll be there saturday and sunday, I have some family stuff going on so I might not be there saturday, no idea yet.

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

Man I am like two weeks behind. :( I'm not a deadbeat! I copped a chest infection for two weeks, took a week off work finally, and on the first day home resting, got out of bed, felt a twang in my shoulder and realised what being shot must feel like. Blew out most of my right side, affecting my neck, back, arm and shoulders. Great fun. Soooo to make up for it, for my exchange buddy I'm putting together some awesome stuff, as well as some dumb poo poo too. :v: Just trying to cram as much in without making it too heavy, since postage is gonna hurt! I'm hoping it will be a nice surprise and they'll get a kick out of it.

Oh and not sure if I posted this, the muscle relaxant drugs are making me all 'wooo', but I got this for like $15 including postage:

Oh my what's this...?

Oh snap...

Yeesss - Boxed TI-99, with foam clam shell, cables, power supply, Buck Rogers and Speech Synth! Now if only I could find mine. Dad bought it when I was like five, and it has two joysticks, Tunnels Of Doom, Parsec, TI Invaders and some other stuff. I can't remember where the gently caress it is though! Argh!

H1KE fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jul 30, 2013

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

H1KE posted:

Man I am like two weeks behind. :( I'm not a deadbeat!... Just trying to cram as much in without making it too heavy, since postage is gonna hurt!

As long as it's posted by the 31st you are not a deadbeat. I had to wait 3 weeks for my item to arrive plus corporate travelling means I'm sending mine today.

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

midge posted:

As long as it's posted by the 31st you are not a deadbeat. I had to wait 3 weeks for my item to arrive plus corporate travelling means I'm sending mine today.

Which is like 7 minutes away for me. I've got the boxes, just need to get to the PO which is hard when I'm 9-5 and so are they. Either way, it'll be winging it's way across the ocean in no time. Probably going to get the other half to post it for me to make sure it gets out on a reasonable time frame.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

H1KE posted:

Oh snap...

This post actually kind of weirded me out for a minute, like "did I get really drunk, black out, and send this guy my TI-99?" :v: I've got a boxed one with all the goodies in it too.

My box is in better shape, but if I'm drunkenly sending things to people, who knows how destructive I'd be.

Nice acquisition though, I really need to fix the RF thingy on mine and get it working.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

MediumWellDone posted:

This is a thing I learn after buying another Mega Drive. I guess I have a spare one now if anything goes wrong :retrogames:

Also, I finally got a MD RGB cable and it is amazing. The picture went from a garbled blurry mess interspersed with rainbows to crisp clear picture. I can actually make out what units I'm rescuing in Gain Ground now. The improvement seems a lot better than what I got out of the SFC and no need to mess around looking from a 1chip either.
Wow. Good to hear it can be overclocked. And yeah RGB on a Genesis is like night and day.

al-azad posted:

Japan has amazing arcade cabinets.

This is so silly. There are multiple revisions with different butts. There's a market for public unwanted anal penetration simulation.

Flipping a table though is awesome.

Line up for the angry dad simulator.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 30, 2013

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Heran Bago posted:

Flipping a table though is awesome.

Line up for the angry dad simulator.

I've played that! It's not just angry dad, I did a school stage where you flip out and throw your desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Hey, what do you all suppose the best way to play PSX games is? I have a PS2, a PS1, and a PSP Go, a component CRT and a 1080p LCD. I was considering PSX w/RGB via SCART to the CRT for a good picture, but the PSP Go for easy setup and playing. Ideas?

• Locked thread