Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

JediTalentAgent posted:

One thing about the string of Hank/Dean deaths that we've been shown, they mostly seem to all happen while they're close to their current ages, or at least still mid-teens. For all the talk of their constant deaths there didn't seem to be any pre-teen examples of their deaths.

I'm trying to think of a way of putting this without making it sound like I'm over-thinking it, but the clone slugs seem to all be the same age as the activated clones and Imperfect Dean also seemed to age in time with Hank and Dean.

We also see that creating a clone slug from 'infancy' isn't required, though, as Doc was able to nearly have a fully-formed replacement kid done in an afternoon.

All this makes me sort of wonder: Have we ever really seen any concrete evidence that Hank and Dean actually had a childhood at all? Photos, memories, etc. Or could Doc have simply bypassed their childhoods and activated the first clone batch as teenagers with fake memories from the learning beds?

I am pretty sure you see two babies when Mya was getting committed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

bobkatt013 posted:

I am pretty sure you see two babies when Mya was getting committed.

Granted, but we also don't see their childhoods beyond that, and we're also told that at some point that they died at some point Doc to start making clone slugs of them.

I don't recall any examples of Hank and Dean as kids, holiday photos, flashbacks, etc.

I'm just wondering if the 'original' Hank and Dean died very young the first time and the time it took to develop and activate the clones, Doc simply made the first post-death clone batch aged up to teenage years.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

No idea what will come of this but from Jackson's twitter:

Jackson Publick posted:

‏@jacksonpublick 3h
Very soon we'll be telling you where you can stick all those Hankbucks™

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

One thing about the string of Hank/Dean deaths that we've been shown, they mostly seem to all happen while they're close to their current ages, or at least still mid-teens. For all the talk of their constant deaths there didn't seem to be any pre-teen examples of their deaths.

I'm trying to think of a way of putting this without making it sound like I'm over-thinking it, but the clone slugs seem to all be the same age as the activated clones and Imperfect Dean also seemed to age in time with Hank and Dean.

We also see that creating a clone slug from 'infancy' isn't required, though, as Doc was able to nearly have a fully-formed replacement kid done in an afternoon.

All this makes me sort of wonder: Have we ever really seen any concrete evidence that Hank and Dean actually had a childhood at all? Photos, memories, etc. Or could Doc have simply bypassed their childhoods and accelerated the development of the first activated clones to teenagers with fake memories from the learning beds?

You're overthinking it. Their deaths are all at the same ages because it meant that a) they didn't have to design and animate loads of different Dean and Hanks at different ages and b) it made the joke work better because we immediately identify the dead boys as the same characters we recognise from the present, showing pre-teen Hank jumping off the roof as Batman wouldn't be as funny as regular Hank jumping off the roof as Batman. And the clones being the correct age is just storytelling shorthand, it creates a much more effective image than if the boys were featureless foetuses in tubes and is far more comically grotesque, in keeping with Rusty's unethical superscience schtick.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Dynamite Dog posted:

If I have to send them back overseas I'll be mad

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
It's mentioned as late as Season 4 (might have been late Season 3) that the current Hank and Deans are the fifteens, though god help me if I could remember the actual quote (it was something sarcastic and tongue-in-cheek) and since all the slugs are massacred by the Death's Head Panoply at the end of Season 3, I think that settles it.

revolther
May 27, 2008
The boys don't exist in a standard cartoon vacuum though. We've seen them age about 4 years in the course of the show despite having to be replaced (once?). Rusty is a really cynical jaded selfish fellow, and isn't much the type to get saddled with a couple kids and immediately devote 12 years to raising them well. It could be as simple as throwing them in the learning beds while unpaid staff like H.E.L.P.E.R., Hector, and Swifty picked up the slack.

Part of me hopes they somehow go over the top, and have it be extra ridiculous like superfecundation (twins from different fathers) by some convoluted explanation.

From Myra's issues, she was clearly looking for a "baby" to save(Florence Nightingale Syndrome, White Knight Syndrome), so I could see discovering her infertility as a typical storyteller's excuse to join the military, become a crazy (drug and manipulate your brain/body chemistry)OSI agent. Add in post-college dropout "I can fix anything my dad couldn't" Rusty placing her on a pedestal for repeatedly saving his life(erotomania), testing fertility treatments with a romantically compromised Myra, who is shtoop'ed by Brock during the changing of the guard before he realizes that she is a long term security risk and OSI relocates her. Then a few months later, the Cardholders show up with a toe headed baby and a bald baby.

Then an awesome montage of House of the Mummies-esqe montage of Doc and Brock adventuring through 1990-2002 wearing Baby Bjorn's.

It could also make sense that Rusty uses superscience to hyper-age them though, being dragged around with his Dad on adventure's and thrown in to the spotlight as a child is something Rusty regards as the trigger for all of his traumatic experiences if not pivotal in his downfall.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Dynamite Dog posted:

You know what, that almost seems plausible.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Venture Bros Clue, who broke H.E.L.P.eR. in the Venture Compound?

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

Granted, but we also don't see their childhoods beyond that, and we're also told that at some point that they died at some point Doc to start making clone slugs of them.

I don't recall any examples of Hank and Dean as kids, holiday photos, flashbacks, etc.

I'm just wondering if the 'original' Hank and Dean died very young the first time and the time it took to develop and activate the clones, Doc simply made the first post-death clone batch aged up to teenage years.

In the episode with the botched Dean clone Brock is shown around the lab with a bunch of baby clones. Plus that whole episode is all about how Not Dean went crazy watching Regular Hank and Regular Dean getting all the attention from Rusty.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

All the dead clones were teenagers because outright child death would be less funny and would require new model sheets.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Dynamite Dog posted:

What if you only have a Hankbuck™? :ohdear:

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
Is anybody else having a rough time with the shirt club? So far I have two wearable shirts, two with holes and one or two just plain haven't shipped / shown up. :sigh:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Cobalt Chloride posted:

In the episode with the botched Dean clone Brock is shown around the lab with a bunch of baby clones. Plus that whole episode is all about how Not Dean went crazy watching Regular Hank and Regular Dean getting all the attention from Rusty.

Rusty is starting over? Huh. I must've whiffed on that.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Red posted:

I think it was in a flashback.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Red posted:

No, it was a flashback.

efb

Red
Apr 15, 2003

thexerox123 posted:

I think it was in a flashback.

I was gonna say - the cloning tanks were all destroyed by Orpheus' staff during the fight with the Neo-Nazis, right?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Red posted:

I was gonna say - the cloning tanks were all destroyed by Orpheus' staff during the fight with the Neo-Nazis, right?

He built them once, he can build them again.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Install Windows posted:

He built them once, he can build them again.

I'd bet that the actual materials/tanks were built by Jonas, Sr., likely with Ben's help.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I always figured that the reason the clones were all the same age is because that is the first age that Hank and Dean died.

Just saw an AT&T ad with James Urbaniak, his only line is after one of his employees asks to borrow his boat, a very flat No.

Wax On
Mar 22, 2007

drop a bat beat

Comrade Quack posted:

Is anybody else having a rough time with the shirt club? So far I have two wearable shirts, two with holes and one or two just plain haven't shipped / shown up. :sigh:

My first pack of shirts came in fine but I haven't gotten any news on the rest. Did you contact Titmouse to see about getting a replacements?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Red posted:

I'd bet that the actual materials/tanks were built by Jonas, Sr., likely with Ben's help.

Nah I think it's pretty clear that it's Rusty who knows what's up with them. The original revisions might have been Jonas' but Rusty seems to have a complete knack for cloning, resurrection, and biology stuff of all sorts.

Murphys Stache
Oct 5, 2007

There goes my nipples again!

Install Windows posted:

Nah I think it's pretty clear that it's Rusty who knows what's up with them. The original revisions might have been Jonas' but Rusty seems to have a complete knack for cloning, resurrection, and biology stuff of all sorts.

Just keep him away from genetic mutations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I rewatched the old Brisby episode and I got the impression that if Congress hadn't outlawed cloning technology, Rusty's career might have been on a completely different track. Honestly, given how well the clone slugs work, Rusty's cloning tech would be revolutionary; if he was able to prevent brain development altogether, he could mass-produce organs for transplants. Or make custom slugs for wealthy individuals who want a whole personal backup set of "spare parts".

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I rewatched the old Brisby episode and I got the impression that if Congress hadn't outlawed cloning technology, Rusty's career might have been on a completely different track. Honestly, given how well the clone slugs work, Rusty's cloning tech would be revolutionary; if he was able to prevent brain development altogether, he could mass-produce organs for transplants. Or make custom slugs for wealthy individuals who want a whole personal backup set of "spare parts".

But then it would be legal and Rusty would be bad at it. He's only good at destructive and criminal science!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Yeah, his cloning/memory storage project is actually quite noble, and I think he would have been a bad(worse) father if he hadn't done it despite being capable. Not only did he prevent their deaths, he also can cure genetic diseases and similar genetic issues. Rusty's attitude toward death seems to very clearly be the right one, and it being illegal is a grave injustice in ventureland.

Also, presumably the boys still can't die. They don't have bodies ready but their memories should be safely stored in the venture computer.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 31, 2013

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pick posted:

But then it would be legal and Rusty would be bad at it. He's only good at destructive and criminal science!

That was Doctor Killinger's analysis, wasn't it?

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.

Wax On posted:

My first pack of shirts came in fine but I haven't gotten any news on the rest. Did you contact Titmouse to see about getting a replacements?

They said they'd ship the first 2 problem shirts. I haven't see tracking or the shirts yet. I haven't heard back about the second email I sent yesterday. I'm waiting until Friday to see what shirts show up to see if my OSI ones are in limbo or just slow.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

prefect posted:

That was Doctor Killinger's analysis, wasn't it?

Hey, he isn't a... bad person.

That was probably my favorite part of the episode. Rusty may be an rear end in a top hat, but he ain't an evil rear end in a top hat.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Jeffrey posted:

Yeah, his cloning/memory storage project is actually quite noble, and I think he would have been a bad(worse) father if he hadn't done it despite being capable. Not only did he prevent their deaths, he also can cure genetic diseases and similar genetic issues. Rusty's attitude toward death seems to very clearly be the right one, and it being illegal is a grave injustice in ventureland.

Also, presumably the boys still can't die. They don't have bodies ready but their memories should be safely stored in the venture computer.

They stopped using the learning beds, and Dean destroyed his.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

ChairMaster posted:

They stopped using the learning beds, and Dean destroyed his.

True, I guess they'll have to go back to whatever the last backup was. Still, seems like a better fate than having only one human body and actually dying when it's destroyed. The learning beds' memory saving/restoring was an even better invention than the clones.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Rusty started the clones of the boys when they were 3. They're greeted as 16 year olds. Myra later says they were 19, hence the 3 year start point for the slugs growing.

The boys just apparently started dying in their teens.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Mr. Nice! posted:

The boys just apparently started dying in their teens.
Puberty's hard dude.

ODC
Jul 8, 2005

Is this sexy?

Cobalt Chloride posted:

From this I always just assumed that Rusty had the clones age in parallel with the boys for as long has he could so they would always be the exact right age. Perhaps the slugs can only age to pre-pubesence or Rusty just halted the aging at that point for some reason.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
No, that always seemed to be the case to me as well. It looks like he can halt the aging process, but not speed it up, which is why he needed dozens and dozens of slugs waiting around to replace Hank and Dean. Can't just grow new ones.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

LP97S posted:

Venture Bros Clue, who broke H.E.L.P.eR. in the Venture Compound?

At the end of the game after you've made your prediction, you hit a button and Helper's voice explains in great detail who killed it and how.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

TheBalor posted:

No, that always seemed to be the case to me as well. It looks like he can halt the aging process, but not speed it up, which is why he needed dozens and dozens of slugs waiting around to replace Hank and Dean. Can't just grow new ones.

What about the clone of the kid who died at the Boy Adventurers Camp?

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

What about the clone of the kid who died at the Boy Adventurers Camp?

Pretty sure that was a baby.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Hbomberguy posted:

Pretty sure that was a baby.

He implied it was a regular child and it would become normal soon. It doesn't really fit the rest of the clone plots, I'm guessing it was just them not caring/paying attention. It also is unexplained how they got its memories back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Jeffrey posted:

He implied it was a regular child and it would become normal soon. It doesn't really fit the rest of the clone plots, I'm guessing it was just them not caring/paying attention. It also is unexplained how they got its memories back.

I don't think it did have it's memories, since Venture mentioned they would have to re-potty train it.