Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
...wow is right. Best fan art yet? I love the design for the angels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Where does the third eye thing come from?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Tres Burritos posted:

Where does the third eye thing come from?

Whispers into nearby shrubbery. "Something..."

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Being that I'm an animator I'm obviously biased or whatever - but have you guys considered making this into an animated series?

If you did, I would love to see the art direction like something in this vein:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGzghUQRVk8

What I'm getting at here is looking for an art style that is a good combination of humorous, stylized, but also genuinely scary when it needs to be.

Also while adapting the radio plays to animation (especially for web episodes or mini-episodes) is an obvious choice, I'd love to see an actual TV series that takes place within the town, with Cecil's radio readings only popping in and out periodically during the show. The show is deceptive in that it comes off initially as spoof, and always has black humor to everything - but really is closer to being actual horror and noirish scifi, with the humor letting us coast along between the scary parts that catch us offguard. I'd love to see that feel captured in animated form...where people think they're safe watching a comedy and then witness something that feels like a snapshot out of their own nightmares.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Aug 1, 2013

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Soooooooo....... it's the first of August....

*lengthy and meaningful stare into your very soul*

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Soooooooo....... it's the first of August....

*lengthy and meaningful stare into your very soul*

The episode is up, if you check our rss feed. Not sure why it's not showing on iTunes. I'll check with Jeffrey.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Found it, and it's so very wonderful. Thank you once again, I'll be buying things once I'm not a broke-rear end motherfucker

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Viridiant posted:

...wow is right. Best fan art yet? I love the design for the angels.

I love it but my favorite is still the stuff that looks like 1960's public safety/propaganda posters, those are absolutely perfect.

also I haven't listened to the new episode yet so I'm not sure what you guys did but my Soundcloud is really blowing up today!

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Aug 1, 2013

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Earwicker posted:

I love it but my favorite is still the stuff that looks like 1960's public safety/propaganda posters, those are absolutely perfect.

Yeah, more than any Night Vale art, I would probably pay good money for just like... a coffee table book of these.

I find most representational fanart (character portraits, etc.) to be kind of boring/uninteresting, but I love in-universe advertisements, posters, design type stuff for some reason.

Edit: There have been some great ones in the past few days:

http://kazuos.tumblr.com/post/56929876368

http://bagelartnstuff.tumblr.com/post/56915907777/welcome-to-night-vale-pilot

http://musain.tumblr.com/tagged/nightvalepr

I love the Hiram McDaniels for mayor poster so much.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 1, 2013

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine
Saw this on MetaFilter and figured I'd share.

MetaFilter posted:

In the pre-podcast days of 1999, the then Sci-Fi Channel website worked with the Seeing Ear Theater and Bablyon 5 creator J. Michael Straczynski to produce a series of Twilight Zone-inspired radio stories called "City Of Dreams" along with a cast that included Steve Buscemi, Tim Curry, Kevin Conway, and John Turturro. 13 episodes were planned, but only 8 got produced, and with the decline of Real Player and the Seeing Ear Theater, the episodes were thought to be lost to the mists of internet history. Until someone uploaded all of them to Youtube.

Sounds pretty cool. Here is a link to the Youtube channel. Might be old news since they got uploaded 3 years ago but figured I'd post it here anyway.

KingJackalope
Aug 10, 2007
More than a rabbit?

AllanGordon posted:

Saw this on MetaFilter and figured I'd share.

Sounds pretty cool. Here is a link to the Youtube channel. Might be old news since they got uploaded 3 years ago but figured I'd post it here anyway.

Thanks for the link. I'm jumping in with "The Damned are Playing at Godzilla's" and I'm enjoying it so far. It's got a classic EC Horror sort of feel.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Seeing Ear Theatre is why I purchased Sirius Radio, there were a TON of awesome audio plays on there, all Sci-Fi from some pretty big names. Extremely well done, I remember when they went off the air and scrambling to find everything I could.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Good ep! Just a few thoughts:
  • It might just be me, but I'm still not a fan of "funny lists of things". You've dropped use of it quite a bit for the past while, but I wasn't particularly happy to see it come back. You did keep it from dragging on, though!
  • I was worried the reorganization of the Masons was going to be like the reorganization of the Boy Scouts, but it went off nicely in its own direction.
  • Cecil is still knocking it out of the park!
  • In addition, whoever is in charge of mixing the Disparition tracks in as backing music is doing a great job. They're mood matching and also using certain - verses isn't the word I'm looking for here. Bars? Passages? - as emphasis on Cecil's wordplay. It's gotta take forever to get that right, so bravo, guys!
  • Great Weather! I'm wondering when you'll have the first good submission written specifically for the segment, now!

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Thanks for the notes, person I don't know.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Good ep! Just a few thoughts:
  • It might just be me, but I'm still not a fan of "funny lists of things". You've dropped use of it quite a bit for the past while, but I wasn't particularly happy to see it come back. You did keep it from dragging on, though!

Lists are awesome, stop hating.

Pigbog
Apr 28, 2005

Unless that is Spider-man if Spider-man were a backyard wrestler or Kurt Cobain, your costume looks shitty.
I don't know why you think you're being helpful JohnnyCanuck, your post is not on the list of helpful things.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
The way you describe Night Vale's librarians just makes me think of the Librarian from Discworld.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

CaptainPsyko posted:

Lists are awesome, stop hating.

For real. The first list segment was what turned me from a casual listener to a raving fan.

Sandwiches.

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug
Oh, Something Awful. Why do you have threads for all my favorite things, made by the creators of all my favorite things?

I'm in super love with Nightvale. Great job!

nuts_rice
Sep 6, 2010

Ohhh Yog Soggoth, be my teenage dream boat ;)
I wanna see kyoon have a segment on Night Vale.
Realpost: I love Night Vale. It's pretty amazing how all this awesome art is being made. Sometimes fandom can do nice things :3:

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:
I'm just surprised how quickly the new art gets churned out.

(Here's a new piece from the older episodes as well; I just liked the artwork here.)

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
What kind of equipment do you guys use when you record? Also, would you be willing to put up a copy of one of your scripts? I write film scripts once and a while, and am familiar with that format, but I'm curious to see how you format a script for a podcast.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

maxnmona posted:

The episode is up, if you check our rss feed. Not sure why it's not showing on iTunes. I'll check with Jeffrey.

Your upload was interrupted. Error Code 11: Intervention by Ghost of Steve Jobs

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Detective Thompson posted:

What kind of equipment do you guys use when you record? Also, would you be willing to put up a copy of one of your scripts? I write film scripts once and a while, and am familiar with that format, but I'm curious to see how you format a script for a podcast.

A $60 usb mic in Cecil's apartment. And our scripts aren't really formatted as scripts cuz its just one guy talking. Just a word doc broken into chunks with a number identifier so I can match it to Cecil's finished recording.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Shirt just came in the mail, and it's great. I then attempted to describe what Night Vale was to my dad, and it wasn't as great.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

NienNunb posted:

Shirt just came in the mail, and it's great. I then attempted to describe what Night Vale was to my dad, and it wasn't as great.

Just tell him it's a prairie home companion with less pretense and more unexplained poo poo.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

NienNunb posted:

I use the title of this thread and people seem to get it right away. Or "Like NPR crossed with the X-Files".

mistressminako
Aug 4, 2007

Beware the man in the wheelchair lurking off-screen.

Got my shirt, really loved the printed label on the outside but I was sad there wasn't a proverb on the receipt (yes I checked...). I plan to wear the shirt next week at Otakon.

I also started a folder for fanart. I like seeing all the different interpretations of the characters.

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

Night Vale is perfect and you are perfect for creating it.
I tried to donate using one of those American Express gift cards but Paypal was like, "Nope, gently caress you" so just thank you for the awesome show I guess.
Edit: I used half of that money to buy a new avatar with a Welcome to Night Vale quote in it. The picture is unrelated but makes me laugh every time I see it.

Edit 2: Made it sound less fangirly.

Whenever it is that I get paid for this project I'm doing, that shirt is getting ordered.
I have to do boring grown-up poo poo with that money, but I'm buying that shirt eventually.

Action Yak fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 9, 2013

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

nuts_rice posted:

I wanna see kyoon have a segment on Night Vale.
Realpost: I love Night Vale. It's pretty amazing how all this awesome art is being made. Sometimes fandom can do nice things :3:

Night Vale's Kyoon is just the dude who says all the insane stuff is weird and there's a city just a few miles away where dragons don't go on high speed chases and sheriffs have no secret police.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Night Vale's Kyoon is just the dude who says all the insane stuff is weird and there's a city just a few miles away where dragons don't go on high speed chases and sheriffs have no secret police.

That's some weird poo poo, no dragons. Sounds like a pretty hosed up place. I bet their radio guy bathes in the blood and entrails of small animals and has somehow hacked together a radio transmitter out of their bones.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
Who did the voice of Carlos? Maxnmona?

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Carlos plays himself.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Got my Night Vale T-shirt! I hope it stops bullets as advertised!

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
The backlog on Tumblr for Night Vale posts is HUGE. My Sunday post hasn't shown up yet. Granted I've never used Tumblr before, so that could be part of it, but apparently they can be delayed by people rushing tags.

Feral
Jun 13, 2003

My god, look at this place. It's like a museum of failure!
Any idea when the shirts will restock again? I marathoned the series over the last week or two and now I crave merchandising.

midoriyourself
May 30, 2013
I finally decided to dive into Night Vale when I saw my favourite local band (Doomtree) was featured in a recent episode. I just had minor surgery, and discovered that laying back and listening to episodes when pain was really aggravating was seriously the best medicine.

I think I may have had some sort of strange out of body experience due to the mixture of painkillers and Cecil's hypnotic voice. It. was. glorious.

I marathoned the whole thing in just five days and I am definitely buying some merch once I'm not a broke rear end bitch. I'm so glad you exist, Night Vale!

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Feral posted:

Any idea when the shirts will restock again? I marathoned the series over the last week or two and now I crave merchandising.

New store coming by the end of the week, with restocked shirt and other merch items.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

dj_clawson posted:

The backlog on Tumblr for Night Vale posts is HUGE. My Sunday post hasn't shown up yet. Granted I've never used Tumblr before, so that could be part of it, but apparently they can be delayed by people rushing tags.

Or it might have gotten run out of the tag already. I remember reading that only 200 or so posts get shown in a tag overall. That might have changed since then, but it's something to be aware of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrocult
Oct 18, 2010

Form Fitting
I've been listening since the av club mention. After that I remembered this thread and went all out listening. I bought a book and a shirt and I love both.