Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

redreader posted:

I thought I'd have a chance since the game ended in Feb or end of Jan or something. But, I didn't max Aeon so AFAIK I can't do more s-link maxing after the end of december.

You do in golden but you're still hitler for not prioritizing them over everything else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

He didn't complete either of them yet, which makes him double Hitler. Or possibly Nyarlathotep.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

redreader posted:

What do I need to do to prepare for NG+? Is there anything I can 'grind' to make my new game easier? do I carry money across? Hints? I intend to max all s-links on NG+, without a guide apart from the fusion velvet room s-link. Is that a stupid idea?
This stuff carries over:

-Compendium
-Money
-Available weapons/armor/items in the weapon shop
-Social Stats
-Max S. Link items (so you can fuse the ultimate personas again if you want)
-Costumes

You can also change any aspect of the difficulty at any time. Might be forgetting something else but that's the gist of it. Implied by above is that before you fight the final boss you should sell off everything you don't think you'll need to beat that boss. Since actual items don't carry over but money does. And yes you can visit the shop even from the TV world in the final dungeon by going up to the TV in the center of the hub.

It's relatively easy to max all your S. Links on NG+. To do so what is implied is that you beat each dungeon in one day (should be easy now) and use the fortunes at the shrine at night when necessary to ensure you're always leveling someone up the next day (you don't have any studying to do anymore after all so your nights are going to be free). It helps if you have an idea of what Links are available on what days. Like, you'd want to start Devil ASAP to unlock Death, or save Sun for rainy days when you have nothing to do.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 31, 2013

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
One thing I do hope they do in Persona 5 is to give extra scenes or something acknowledging a maxed S-Link for groups of people instead of just individuals. Nanako and Dojima for example could've definitely had a "You saved this family" true-ending type scene. Or one for maxing your entire team. Or even if Max out both the sports manager and the sports team.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

redreader posted:

I thought I'd have a chance since the game ended in Feb or end of Jan or something. But, I didn't max Aeon so AFAIK I can't do more s-link maxing after the end of december.

If you had it at 7 or 8 it's still salvageable since Aeon is available every day in December.

I believe they are actually available for a bit in January, correct me if I'm wrong.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

MrAristocrates posted:

If you had it at 7 or 8 it's still salvageable since Aeon is available every day in December.

I believe they are actually available for a bit in January, correct me if I'm wrong.

I think I maxed her out from four or five during December. I'm pretty sure she stops being available immediately after you finish the December dungeon though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I think I maxed her out from four or five during December. I'm pretty sure she stops being available immediately after you finish the December dungeon though.
That's exactly what happens. You lose out on the rest of December once you finish the dungeon, just like in the PS2 version.

If you're dating someone it's advisable to finish the dungeon by the 22nd. Otherwise it can be done by the 23rd.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I was actually talking about Nanako and Dojima, not Marie in the second sentence.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

MrAristocrates posted:

I was actually talking about Nanako and Dojima, not Marie in the second sentence.

Oh, I see. Yeah, I'm pretty sure you get a week or two with them in January.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Nate RFB posted:

This stuff carries over:

-Compendium
-Money
-Available weapons/armor/items in the weapon shop
-Social Stats
-Max S. Link items (so you can fuse the ultimate personas again if you want)
-Costumes

What about the cards that you gave to Marie? It'll suck if those don't carry over.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

What about the cards that you gave to Marie? It'll suck if those don't carry over.

Those carry over too.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

I'm almost positive her inventory also carries over. Not 100%, but very nearly.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

King of Solomon posted:

I'm almost positive her inventory also carries over. Not 100%, but very nearly.

They do. I am 100% positive.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!
So, I got my hands on one of those nifty Vita covers that came way back when from P4G preorders.

... which I proceeded to gently caress it up to unusability while trying to take it off after noticing a few cat hairs under it, use tape to clean it, and when that didn't work used water and a cloth like a dumbass. How much does that skin go for now, or is it even available anymore?

Lex Averial
May 12, 2004

Swans. You know, birds.
Chie is pretty awesome. I get to the first mini-boss of the extra dungeon and he immediately summons two extra shadows. I knock them down and Chie's all "Let me help!" and proceeds to Galactic Punt the boss off the screen.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

For the most part, Chie is the worst party member overall, but I keep her on the team all game because Galactic Punt is just so good.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cannot Find Server posted:

For the most part, Chie is the worst party member overall, but I keep her on the team all game because Galactic Punt is just so good.

But once you get the bikes, Chie can Galactic Punt from outside the party! :v:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Cannot Find Server posted:

Chie's not so much bad as 'outclassed by Kanji if you don't need Agneyestra or the enemies aren't using Wind attacks'. Dragon Hustle helps but it eats away so much at Chie's limited SP pool.

There really isn't anybody that's awful, though I'm not really that fond of Naoto until Shield of Justice.

sleater-cummy
Dec 28, 2005

smile :]
Okay, so I just got Yu's scooter, and I want to make sure I have this right:
  • I have to max Aeon by the end of December.
  • I have to max Nanako and Dojima by the end of October.
  • Everyone else is more or less secondary but I should work on my party members' S-links first.

Does that about sum it up?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
P4G gives you a bit more time after December to work on Nanako and Dojima, but since they're out of commission the longest get them done when you can.

And you've got the gist down. Just remember any school students likely aren't available right before exams. Also, do Jester whenever possible.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Nayato posted:

Okay, so I just got Yu's scooter, and I want to make sure I have this right:
  • I have to max Aeon by the end of December.
  • I have to max Nanako and Dojima by the end of October.
  • Everyone else is more or less secondary but I should work on my party members' S-links first.

Does that about sum it up?
-Yes.
-Technically no, as you can also max them out in January. The original cut-off day in the PS2 release was basically the end of October though.
-Pretty much. You'd be wise to keep Hermit up there, and work on Social Stat boosting S. Links like Temperance and Sun. Tower is worth working on for Yoshitsune, the most broken persona. ApplesandOranges is also right about Jester; get him up to level 6 ASAP (Levels 7-10 are story-based).

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 1, 2013

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Strange Quark posted:

But once you get the bikes, Chie can Galactic Punt from outside the party! :v:

Holy poo poo. I always roll with Chie but if she can ride in on a bike and punt shadows into space then that's a space for Naoto!

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I will never drop Chie from my parties since she gets way more Galactic Punts in party than out of party. I will also never have Teddie in my party because I can't get enough of "Sensei, you meanie!" (hey, it's not my fault your "bike" special sucks compared to Galactic Punt).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I feel that outside of special circumstances like the all-out attack follow-ups (Twin Dragons, for example) the best overall party was Yosuke/Kanji/Yukiko. They just pulverize everything and can do all kinds of party-wide buffs. You can make just about any party work, though.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Personally I tend to have the MC act as the knock-downer by using the elemental items you can buy from the store in town. It's more practical than swapping personas, and while it gets monotonous after a while it's excellent for provoking shuffle time as you are guaranteed to get it if the last enemy dies from an all-out attack. I definitely pick my teams based on flavor rather than what is most efficient though.

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012
I'm one of those people that tends to rotate party members to keep people evenly leveled, although in the PS2 version of the game I never had Teddy in my party because I found his squeaky footsteps grating while dungeon crawling. Now that you can put your party members in different costumes I've actually started putting him in my party! Switching him to something besides the bear suit cures that squeaky foot problem.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I actively refused to use teams aside from Yosuke/Kanji/Teddie. I have only ever used Naoto while redoing Void Quest way too late.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Never have Yosuke in my party, never not have Yukiko,

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

I usually switched between teams of Yosuke/Chie/Yukiko and Naoto/Kanji/Teddie. I'd probably would have tried having Yosuke and Teddie together more often because Junes Bomber is hilarious but I didn't like having two people with the same weakness.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I feel pretty comfortable saying that Yosuke is top to bottom the best party member in a vacuum. His magic is near as makes no difference at Yukiko's level minus Mind Charge or Burning Petals, Brave Blade is actually crazy powerful if you find yourself on some round where Wind is no good (bonus points if Rise has charged everyone up), he gets a great party-wide buff and Dekaja, and even some healing magic that's not half bad (which you can later count on in Youthful Wind as well). All the while trading places with Naoto for the title of quickest.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 1, 2013

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Nate RFB posted:

I feel pretty comfortable saying that Yosuke is top to bottom the best party member in a vacuum. His magic is near as makes no difference at Yukiko's level minus Mind Charge or Burning Petals, Brave Blade is actually crazy powerful if you find yourself on some round where Wind is no good (bonus points if Rise has charged everyone up), he gets a great party-wide buff and Dekaja, and even some healing magic that's not half bad (which you can later count on in Youthful Wind as well). All the while trading places with Naoto for the title of quickest.

However, there is no vacuum so I am not entirely certain where he fits. Yukiko is simply murder at higher levels, as long as there is no fire resists, and if there is she can take care of that (or MC can). She also has highest SP pool and is the best healer. Then you have Naoto who can wipe all the non-boss shadows out (if built for that) which is great at higher difficulties. The last spot can go between Chie/Kanji for physical strong attacks.

Yosuke is very diverse, similar (better) to Teddie, but he has no overriding quantities. On pure power level, he can't hang with Yukiko and Naoto, and he does not have as strong physical attacks as Kanji or Chie. He isn't bad, but just not needed from that perspective. However, at the same time as noted he can help shore up some points if you are missing some attribute.

Overall though, while I trade people around, I always have Yukiko since it's hard to bypass top level healing and top level damage in same character.

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Card database carries over I believe.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

oblomov posted:

Card database carries over I believe.

This does carry over. I just did a new game+ and I need 20 more to get the 100 card trophy.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Seconding Yukiko/Yosuke/Kanji. I used Chie for most of the game in vanilla but switched over to Yosuke for the last two dungeons and he really shined. His magic is quite good and he has that hit/evade buff that helps. I never used Teddie and Naoto, the former because I found Yukiko irreplaceable and the latter because she wasn't very versatile, unlike in Golden where they really buffed her.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

oblomov posted:

However, there is no vacuum so I am not entirely certain where he fits. Yukiko is simply murder at higher levels, as long as there is no fire resists, and if there is she can take care of that (or MC can). She also has highest SP pool and is the best healer. Then you have Naoto who can wipe all the non-boss shadows out (if built for that) which is great at higher difficulties. The last spot can go between Chie/Kanji for physical strong attacks.

That's the thing, though. You don't really need Naoto to do this. Pretty much every other character is very good at doing this, too, without the detriment of being virtually useless in boss battles.

EDIT: My party in Golden was Yosuke/Yukiko/Kanji. Yosuke was an excellent support character (and very good at wiping random mobs, since Boosted+Amped Magarudyne is pretty powerful), Kanji dealt serious pain with physical damage, and Yukiko's a nuke on legs with an endless SP pool that also has very good healing magic if things get severe.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 2, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

King of Solomon posted:

That's the thing, though. You don't really need Naoto to do this. Pretty much every other character is very good at doing this, too, without the detriment of being virtually useless in boss battles.
Exactly, any Ma-dyne spell is capable of wiping out a given enemy layout provided you have the corresponding Amp skill. Hell even Kanji is capable of doing this, though you might have to clean up a bit afterwards. And since there's no fear of getting hurt by reflections and Rise will just give you back a bunch of SP there's really no reason not to do this.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

My endgame team for my Very Hard game is Chie, Yukiko and Naoto. Yukiko is pretty much a requirement, Naoto destroys Golden Hands, Chie is a requirement for Galactic Punt. I'd probably have an easier go of things if I was using Kanji or Yosuke rather than Chie, but they are like 20 levels behind at this point. Even with gold hands, it takes forever to level up on Very Hard so I'm kinda committed now.

Also: Naoto gets makarakarn and tetrakarn, which helps immensely in late-game boss battles. I would not have beaten Heaven without makarakarn for the boss.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The main advantages of Kanji over Chie are Matarukaja and Primal Force which is a bit better than God Hand. And technically having a Ma-dyne spell, even though you probably won't use it too often. Otherwise Chie is perfectly serviceable and you get Twin Dragons if you wisely also have Yukiko.

I mainly don't like Naoto because by the time you get her, everyone else should have their second personas already. It feels like taking a step back, and that's ignoring the extra work you have to put in to get her Bufudyne up to snuff (bike date, gun that boosts ice, accessory that boosts ice). It just seems like a lot of extra work for someone you can only really use in the endgame. She is good defensively though and again as long as you know these things in advance you can build around her.

E: vvv This is absolutely true.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 2, 2013

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Naoto has the coolest critical animation though. That counts for a lot!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, but Kanji is the best. No excuses for not having him. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

AG3 posted:

Naoto has the coolest critical animation though. That counts for a lot!

Kanji's is pretty awesome too.

• Locked thread