Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Speedball posted:

Okay, the power armor is understandable (well, maybe not, but...) but why is K wearing clothes over his power suit?

Because he feels comfortable in the robot suit, but not that comfortable.

It's like Alphonse Elric's loincloth in Fullmetal Alchemist. You have to preserve some of your modesty, even if it's covered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Because he feels comfortable in the robot suit, but not that comfortable.

It's like Alphonse Elric's loincloth in Fullmetal Alchemist. You have to preserve some of your modesty, even if it's covered.

I think that was part of the armour actually, and not something he did himself.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Speedball posted:

Okay, the power armor is understandable (well, maybe not, but...) but why is K wearing clothes over his power suit?

It's a fashion statement. Just because you're wearing power armor it doesn't mean you have to give up your style.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Red is the colour of heroes. K is the true protagonist of this game.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

When K showed Sigma and Phi the hole in the back of his head in the infirmary it says he takes off his robe so they can get a look (but the robe doesn't actually cover the back of his head???)

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Shear Modulus posted:

When K showed Sigma and Phi the hole in the back of his head in the infirmary it says he takes off his robe so they can get a look (but the robe doesn't actually cover the back of his head???)

Weren't they just investigating the armor in general? So he took the robe off so they could look all over, but then the only interesting thing they found was on the back of his head.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Right! A promise is a promise!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

VLR OST: [Placidity]

I guess we're finally going to check out this suspiciously Warehouse A-shaped room on floor B.

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

It looks like another warehouse.

I guess there's one on this floor too, then.
Makes sense. I guessed as much when I saw the map.

Probably more graffiti. There was one on Floor A too, remember?

Yeah, there was, but...

Is that Dio?

Looks like it. Let's go see what he's up to.

[Music fades out]

VLR OST: [Eeriness]

Oh... Nothing.
Just going with the flow, you know? Seeing where life takes me.

You don't seem to have any interest in searching for Quark.

Do we even know he's really missing? Maybe the little poo poo's just off having naptime somewhere.
So I figure, let sleeping dogs lie, right? Or kids in this case, I guess.
If we wake him up, he might realize he's got enough BP to blow this popsicle stand and ditch us.
That happens and it's all over. We'll be stuck in here for the rest of our lives. Which probably won't be all that long.

The rest of our lives...?

Yeah, did I stutter?
Or did you just forget? Zero Jr. told us, remember?

Did you bring Phi here so I can kill her?

What?

Oh, really? You already forgotten your little stunt earlier?
We're drat lucky K chose "ally".

Hmph. Sounds like you're getting a little desperate.
Word of advice, Dio.

All you'll do is make sure that whoever plays against you in the AB Game won't pick "ally".

You talk as if I give a gently caress.
I already know I won't be up against you two.

Why not?

You guys are the magenta pair, right?
Two pairs can't go through the same Chromatic Door.
Simple enough for you?

K told me.
He was here a while ago. Speaking of which...
Tenmyouji and Clover were here too.
Guess everybody misses my company.
Anyway, that's how I know what everyone's colors are.

Was K by himself?

Yeah.

What about Luna?

Luna? Haven't seen her.

I see...

Anyway, K and I won't be pairing with you two.
We'll be taking the blue solo.

That's... that's Alice's bracelet.
But... how did you know that?

Look at the doors in front of you. These are the next Chromatic Doors.

Bingo!

I get it.

You can get yellow by adding red and green together. If you add blue to that...
...It becomes white.

Exactly.

You get magenta by adding red and blue together, and then adding green to that gives you white...
So that means Phi and I would need to pair up with the green solo, which is... Luna.

Right.

That means the other three would be in the same team as before.
Tenmyouji, Clover and Quark.
We know that Tenmyouji's a red solo and Clover is a cyan pair, so...

The only one left is the other cyan pair, so we can assume that's what Quark is.

No. There's only one option this time.

All we've gotta do now is wait for these white doors to open.

We should get back to floor A...

Moving around so much is a pain in the rear end.

Nobody invited you. C'mon, Phi.

Lots of beeping and door-opening later...

We... stop in the Lounge?

999 OST: [Riddle and Puzzle]

Huh? Something up?
Why'd you just stop?

Well...
You see that clock over there? The one that looks like the sun?

It reminded me of something we saw earlier.

What do you mean?

Remember the graffiti on floor B?
Do you remember what it said?

Uh...

Do you know what that means?

It's Latin for something like... "be aware of death", or "remember death"...
I think it's usually used to mean "We're all going to die some day so don't forget about your own mortality."

What about the other part?

Well, I mean, that's pretty straightforward, right?
"If the ninth lion ate the sun." I mean, yeah, it's kind of nonsense, but--
Oooooh. I get it. That's what the clock made you think of, right? The sun in that sentence.

Apart from the fact that it made no sense?
Not really...

Maybe you're not the eagle eye I thought you were.
I guess I have to do everything.
Part of it was spelled wrong.

It should be N, I, N, T, H, but the graffiti had N, I, N, E, T, H.

Oh... Yeah, I guess you're right.

Exactly.

That's kind of a bonehead mistake...
Do you think it was, like, a kid who wrote it?

Maybe it wasn't a mistake at all.

I'm not following.

Maybe Zero put that "e" in there on purpose.

But... why?

Maybe because he didn't have enough letters otherwise?

Uh... what?

"Remember death. If the ninth lion ate the sun."
Huh...

It's already 2 minutes past time.

We should get moving.

Right.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 3, 2013

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

So the white doors were the plot point you were talking about? Didn't you already show the map of floor B, with the 3 white doors completely visible?

Edit: Yep, the first time you see the map of floor B is in the Galum Bay, and the white doors are clearly visible.

BlazeEmblem fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 3, 2013

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Fedule posted:

You can get ywllow

There's always one.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Seshoho Cian posted:

There's always one.

Not anymore there isn't!

BlazeEmblem posted:

So the white doors were the plot point you were talking about? Didn't you already show the map of floor B, with the 3 white doors completely visible?

Edit: Yep, the first time you see the map of floor B is in the Galum Bay, and the white doors are clearly visible.

Yeah, it's always been right there. Still, though, enough people seemed to not notice it to have an actual discussion about the next doors.

Jasper Chalks
Dec 23, 2011

Fedule posted:

You don't seem to have any interest in searching for QUark.

Or two.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So 3rd time with Luna huh.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Oh stop rubbing it in. :mad:

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

So 3rd time with Luna huh.

Good. Sigma allies with her one more time and he, Luna, and Phi are in the clear.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

SgtSteel91 posted:

Good. Sigma allies with her one more time and he, Luna, and Phi are in the clear.

Yeah, at this point, we're pretty sure Luna's not some sort of secret serial killer (if she is, she's the world's best actress) and Phi has been competent and decent.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

Speedball posted:

Yeah, at this point, we're pretty sure Luna's not some sort of secret serial killer (if she is, she's the world's best actress) and Phi has been competent and decent.

Problem is that Quark's probably an rear end in a top hat and is going to get us all trapped forever. He's probably Zero, too. :tinfoil:

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

GeneralYeti posted:

Problem is that Quark's probably an rear end in a top hat and is going to get us all trapped forever. He's probably Zero, too. :tinfoil:

Those bigass metal earmuffs of his are concealing his sinister devil horns.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

GeneralYeti posted:

Wait, could Quark have already left and no one saw him going out through the door?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
edit: bad idea.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

SgtSteel91 posted:

Wait, how do we know if Quark already left and no one saw him leave?

I would assume the helpful announcer would come on and notify everyone that The Number Nine Door is about to open. After 9 seconds, the Number Nine Door will close for good. Or something like that.

I hope Zero III comes back and taunts everyone left behind if that happens. :allears:

...boy, that sentence made me sound like a dick

Jynxite
May 1, 2013

So, let's start looking at this picture, shall we?
As pointed out, 'memento mori' could mean 'remember death' if you want to be completely literal, but it is more often translated as 'remember you will/must die' or 'remember your mortality'. Memento mori is a relatively common motif in art, representing the inevitability and occasionally beauty of death. Typically manifested as skeletons, especially skulls, though anything related to the passage of time -such as a clock- can be considered a memento mori. Other examples include snuffed candles, insects, or fruits/vegetables/food past it's prime.
The old woman we found was quite certainly past her prime, with very visible wrinkles and signs of old age -she was probably a memento mori in herself.

Now let's look at the second part of the graffiti.
'IF THE NINETH LION/ATE THE SUN.' Ninth is quite clearly misspelled for a reason, as I am pretty sure Zero can spell. E could also be a 3, meaning a time or place to put the hands of a clock, or it could be an extra letter to allow for an anagram. Unfortunately, I'm not very good at anagrams, especially ones of this length. If someone else wants to take a crack at this, please go right ahead because I'll be totally useless for that part. I CAN, however, analyze the symbolism of the lion here!
There are a few Lions scattered around in mythology, and I believe only one of which is closely associated with the sun (though I might be wrong). In Egyptian mythology, the lion god Aker guarded the gate of the dawn (aka the gate to the netherworld) through which Ra emerged every day. However, he did not eat the sun, nor was he ninth of anything. I don't think this has anything to do with this puzzle, but I'm going to leave it here for the sake of connections.
In alchemical symbology, the green lion eats the sun. In a more literal sense, this is a metaphor for when a green liquid sulfate called vitriol (an extremely acidic substance that eats through almost anything) purifies matter and leaves behind only gold. In more of a metaphorical sense, this is when a person gives in to their desires and starts acting out chaotically and destructively; however, if the person is on a spiritually higher level, then they are allowing the green lion to eat their sun (or their spirit) to come out as pure gold. Wait... green, a lion, and the sun? Now where have I seen that before...
Oh yeah! In the lounge, of course! That's kind of weird, though; LION is red, not green. Funny thing is, in alchemy (going back to that again), the red lion symbolizes the Philosophers Stone, which you all should know from Harry Potter as not only being the ultimate goal of alchemy, but also producing an elixir of immortality and the ability to turn any substance to pure gold. Unfortunately, I do not know of what a green sun could symbolize, other than the obvious of life/growth, as it is not present to my knowledge in much of anything really (and all I get when I search 'green sun' is Homestuck stuff so eh).

So now let's try and see what we can figure out from the 'nineth' part of the puzzle without going into anagrams. Nine is quite obviously an important number, given that we're playing the nonary game and all that. We're also trying to get our points up to nine, and escape through the nine door. It might be worth noting that the 9 on the escape door is red, but I'm not entirely sure what that could mean. As I said before, it could be a 3 or... um... yeah I got nothing. Most likely it's an extra letter to allow for an anagram that I really don't have the ability or energy to solve.

So, we have a message that could mean something akin to 'Remember you will die. If you give into your brash desires and act out destructively.' with a nineth in there somewhere, and a heavy link to the clock. I have a feeling we're going to revisit the lounge soon, or at least need to.
Of course I could be completely off, but I certainly hope I'm not.
Well this was fun to do; now to sink back into lurking. Thank you for the exercise, Fedule; I needed a bit of a brush-up on my alchemical symbology.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

I assume it's just another anagram, with "memento mori" and "nine" thrown in for flavor.

gameface
Nov 23, 2007
This is somewhat minor, as the only way you could catch this error is by listening to the voice work while reading along, but I think there's another error in the transcript.

Fedule posted:

You can get yellow by adding red and green together. If you add blue to that...
...It becomes white.

I think the "It becomes white." part was 'spoken' by Sigma.

I also agree with the idea that the graffiti is an anagram of some kind, although what it may be an anagram of, I don't know.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

THE THRONE IS MINE, MOTION FINAL THEME TUNE.
IF I MENTION THE SLAIN HOME TEE, TURN THEM ON.
THIS ONE TIME IN ROME, NO THIN METHANE FLUTE.
IN TIME LUNA TRIES THE THIEF, ONE MOMENT HON.

If there's a character name in that anagram, it can only be Luna; everyone else is missing at least one letter.

Fake edit:
SMOOTH INFINITE LUNA, THE TEEN MIME HORNET.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
So, another round with Luna.

This is the "Maximum Ladies" path, isn't it?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

RoeCocoa posted:

Reported for Game Of Thrones spoilers :flame:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Man, that anagram has so many letters that even if someone does decode it properly, nobody's going to notice.

TIME OF THE MEAL NINETEEN, THE EMOTIONS RUN HIGH -- Dinner's at seven PM, don't get stressed out about it.

Jynxite
May 1, 2013

Phelddagrif posted:

I assume it's just another anagram, with "memento mori" and "nine" thrown in for flavor.

But... but... the symbology! :ohdear:

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.
Without giving away too much, I will say that I freaked out about that clue more than I should have. It's very important to the story, but it's not so important that you have to decode it entirely on your own--the game will explain most of it in due time.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.
A question I've been dying to ask ever since this LP started: was the graffiti the same in the Japanese version? Or did they edit it to make a bit more sense?

Also, this .gif seems bugged to me on Opera (in a pretty wicked way):

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

SingerOfW posted:

A question I've been dying to ask ever since this LP started: was the graffiti the same in the Japanese version? Or did they edit it to make a bit more sense?

It's the same in Japanese, including the discussion on the spelling.

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.

SingerOfW posted:

Also, this .gif seems bugged to me on Opera (in a pretty wicked way):

If you mean in the sense that it's old-timey, then I think that's how it's meant to be?

But I wanted to also talk about that gif. You could get stuck? Well log me down as someone who thinks we're getting another 'two 9 doors' scenario...

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

beru04 posted:

If you mean in the sense that it's old-timey, then I think that's how it's meant to be?

But I wanted to also talk about that gif. You could get stuck? Well log me down as someone who thinks we're getting another 'two 9 doors' scenario...

You "could be stuck," in that there's a chance you wouldn't make it through the door, based upon the rules of the game. There really isn't anything indicating another door.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Initially I read the graffiti as 'if the nineth lion ate the gun', which seemed slightly more ominous. It still looks more like a g than an s to me but I guess I'll take the game's word for it. v:shobon:v

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

beru04 posted:

I mean in the sense that I can't even read the text, it's mostly black with only Zero III and the cursor visible.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

SingerOfW posted:

I mean in the sense that I can't even read the text, it's mostly black with only Zero III and the cursor visible.

That's odd. Does it work if you load it in its own tab? Otherwise, I don't know what to tell you.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

RoeCocoa posted:

Sorry, not yet; even if that was the last seize map, you still have to fight a dragon at some point before the end.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

Fedule posted:

That's odd. Does it work if you load it in its own tab? Otherwise, I don't know what to tell you.
It didn't work at first, but then I refreshed it, and it was alright. Guess it was just a problem on my side, nevermind v:v:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

RoeCocoa posted:

So we're being told to Watch the Throne?

• Locked thread