Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suztan
Jul 4, 2012

Vincent Valentine posted:

Meanwhile the Chinese greatly outnumber every other ethnicity and yet asians are so rare that Mikasa and her mom are the only ones we've seen.

I think it's safe to assume that race in AoT doesn't follow Earth race statistics, even if it takes place on earth.

The reason for this is if the wall-country they're in (does it even have a name?) is supposed to be somewhere in Germany, then we can assume that there might be other wall-countries out there. It helps to think of Attack on Titan as zombie fiction: there might be other survivors out there, but since there is practically no way of knowing, you might as well consider everyone else dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

snucks posted:

So there's a cool chart going around speculating on character heritage:

I can't tell how much of it is genuine speculation and how much is just the artist wanting to both make fanart and how much is the artist finding an excuse to play around with nationality caricatures. AoT definitely takes place on earth but I feel like it's not one that had America as a world power.

Also, Levi is totally Jewish and Marco is totally Italian.

The artist didn't put those nationalities there, some rear end in a top hat with no respect for other people's art edited and posted it without credit and now that's what gets tossed all around the internet. The original used to be on pixiv but I can't find it anymore, pretty sure the artist took it down on account of all the art theft.

Anyway, new episode tomorrow. I hope they can do this arc justice. As an adaption it's been fairly decent with a few hiccups but it would be cool if they refrained from adding more hilariously cringe-worthy vocal songs in the background. Or maybe it's exactly what the show needs to ease the tension.

e:

Captain Invictus posted:

Yes, the correct thing to do when someone steals your art is not to keep it up so everyone knows it's the original, but to take it down which ensures their stolen version is the only one known. There's not a thing artists can do about someone plagiarizing their work elsewhere, so why give them such a victory by removing the originals? It baffles me.

Well what I've seen usually happen is that they take down/delete their whole gallery and stop sharing art altogether because they're so fed up with it. There's a lot of artists who use twitter now because they can make it private and choose who they allow to look at their stuff.

yellowyams fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Aug 3, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yes, the correct thing to do when someone steals your art is not to keep it up so everyone knows it's the original, but to take it down which ensures their stolen version is the only one known. There's not a thing artists can do about someone plagiarizing their work elsewhere, so why give them such a victory by removing the originals? It baffles me.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I can't compare to the manga, but I think this show has been worth it on the merits of the first opening song alone. :colbert:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Yeah that chart is a bunch of crap all of them have a German name.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
There isn't any evidence that the cast is anything but racially homogenous. Asians are stated to be super rare and I don't even know where someone would think Americans (who are mostly European descendants anyway) would factor into a story about an isolated community in Germany.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I imagine that at least some of the characters are of (mixed) Romani, Turkish, or North African descent, along with the European ancestry. Hell, Eren is a Turkish name!

suztan
Jul 4, 2012

Autumncomet posted:

I imagine that at least some of the characters are of (mixed) Romani, Turkish, or North African descent, along with the European ancestry. Hell, Eren is a Turkish name!

Yeah, I imagine the wall-country to be some sort of racial melting pot of refugees from nearby countries (East Asia, obviously, isn't nearby), hence why brown-skinned and definitely not Swedish Ymir doesn't get funny looks or gossip about her being the only non-white trainee. Or, maybe the other trainees were calling her racial slurs behind her back and we get didn't see it because Isayama didn't want to get into racial politics. :v:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, I imagine that the population is mostly German, but with refugees from various nations added to the genetic mix. Countries closer to the Walls got more representation simply because more people from those countries were able to make the trip to Germany one hundred years ago.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Ymir has freckles, dude. I'm pretty sure she's Caucasian.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I just wonder how whoever added the nationalities looked at a name like Annie Leonhardt and said "yep, that's a Russkie alright."

infornography
Jan 13, 2012

Weabooing since 1989
Still kinda surprised that there isn't at least one black dude in the walls. I know there is supposed to be some geographic reasoning, but c'mon we've got a japanese person!
The one thing that still irks me about the translation for the anime at least on CR is the whole Eoten thing. It's gnawing at me.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

infornography posted:

Still kinda surprised that there isn't at least one black dude in the walls. I know there is supposed to be some geographic reasoning, but c'mon we've got a japanese person!
The one thing that still irks me about the translation for the anime at least on CR is the whole Eoten thing. It's gnawing at me.

Crunchyroll calls them titans? :confused:

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Why the hell is Sasha Scottish? Her last name sounds suspicously like the German word for soda (Brause). And besides, if you must have a representative from the British Isles, then a girl so connected to potatoes would very obviously be Irish :colbert:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Ymir has freckles, dude. I'm pretty sure she's Caucasian.

A large number Central Asian people can also tend to be freckly.

Of course, actual literal Caucasian people from the Caucasus are Central Asians as well, so...

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

infornography posted:

It's written by the Japanese. The Japanese still fantasize about Germany (and Paris [sometimes Hawaii]); they really like white people (especially blondes), too. It probably just never crossed any of their minds that black people live in Germany or they might not have even thought about them at all. Black people tend to be underrepresented in all major media anyway, really sad (eg, Star Wars Episode IV).

edit: If you are still complaining about the anime pacing, it won't get any better, switch the manga. Serious.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I don't know what's weirder, that some anime fan felt the need to assign nationalities to a bunch of ethnically indistinct Central Euros, or that they did such a terrible job of it (Belgians and Americans as a concept haven't existed but for a few hundred years!)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It doesn't make any sense because none of these nations exist in the Attack on Titan world and never did.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Okay, new episode more then made up for last week. That was so good. I'm going to piss myself if Eren and the female titan have a throw down next week.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Really fascinating to see some of the actual tactics they've come up with for moving through Titan territory without getting completely hosed, as well as seeing how hard it is to use the 3d gear effectively in a big open field.

Nothing about the female Titan's actions makes any goddamn sense beyond going for Eren, though, and I really hope we get a decent explanation at some point.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
With the character design for lady Titan it seems screamingly obvious that it must be Annie, or whoever it was that didn't join the rest of the group. Pure speculation, mind you, but it makes me sigh. The super ninja skillz don't help. If I'm wrong, it's misleading (and disappointing), and if I'm right, it means one of the characters should have commented on it by now (but no, so it's disappointing).

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

darkgray posted:

With the character design for lady Titan it seems screamingly obvious that it must be Annie, or whoever it was that didn't join the rest of the group. Pure speculation, mind you, but it makes me sigh. The super ninja skillz don't help. If I'm wrong, it's misleading (and disappointing), and if I'm right, it means one of the characters should have commented on it by now (but no, so it's disappointing).

If you're right, I definitely have to ask that character: why? Because that could easily, easily turn out feeling like a complete rear end pull.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Spiritus Nox posted:

If you're right, I definitely have to ask that character: why? Because that could easily, easily turn out feeling like a complete rear end pull.

Obviously it's because she was tired of always being the shortest one in the room.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mr. Fowl posted:

Obviously it's because she was tired of always being the shortest one in the room.

Christa is the short one, Annie is the grouchy martial artist.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Episodes like this one are why I watch AoT. Fantastic all the way through, and it looks like they're really going with Titans being a human weapon, because that just has to be Annie. It could, technically, be Christa or an entire new character but they're pretty much screaming it out.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Christa is the short one, Annie is the grouchy martial artist.

Christa is the tiniest, but Annie's pretty drat short too. I think she's supposed to be 5'2" or something?

e: Five nothing.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 4, 2013

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Yeah, the short blonde hair and shadows under her eyes really makes me think it's Annie.

Best episode in a while I think. There were no panning shots over still frames that were so common for the last five episodes or so, but those never really bothered me that much. The animation is back to being fantastic, and there were a lot of great moments, like Sasha getting chased down by that really creepy Titan that was bounding along on all fours, Reiner getting caught by the Titan and you think he just got crushed like a bug before you see him escape, and the Female Titan catching sight of her pursuers. Armin must have been absolutely terrified because he already got off the hook once, and I doubt she was happy to see him.

Man, next week is going to be crazy. Unstoppable Titan heads right into the heart of the formation, and I wonder what'll happen when it crashes right into Eren. I'm just glad Sasha's okay. She really is not prepared to face Titans, but her getting hurt would be just terrible.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
manga spoilers

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 5, 2013

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
There were some great scenes there, but the horse getting punched into orbit was definitely gif-worthy.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
manga spoilers

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 5, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
manga spoilers

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 5, 2013

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

:stare:

:ohdear:

I think I just watched my favorite episode of AoT. And on top of that next episode promises to be even more badass. And if that speculation along with the lady titan speculation is correct...

If it is, then who is Colossal Titan?

e:I think I'm now horrified about where this story leads...
Spec follows:
Well, Annie and Reiner used to hang out together all the time. Who's that tall guy that completed the trio? Bertholdt.

Granted from a motivation perspective none of this makes any-loving-sense whatsoever but Reiner pretty clearly got crushed to a pulp there!

Roflfox
Jan 29, 2008

Your one and only, scorching laser light

A big flaming stink posted:

Spec follows:
Well, Annie and Reiner used to hang out together all the time. Who's that tall guy that completed the trio? Bertholdt.

There's a height chart someone put together of what I assume is the full cast (there's a few on there I don't recognize) that makes this seem incredibly plausible, especially considering that one in particular has no identifying features like the other two. Other than being tall as gently caress. Welp.

That episode was definitely amazing. I was terrified for Sasha for a bit there though. :ohdear:

fake edit: Jesus christ Christa is short.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

This speculation definitely seems plausible to me, I'm just terrified that they'll never be able to write their way out of it in any logical way. I mean, either Annie/whoever and company have been Titans, working with Titans, from the beginning - in which case why hold back their attacks the way they have when it seems that they could easily subvert the walls and the guards and eliminate humanity on a whim? Or else they're like Eren and gained the ability later in life - in which case why the gently caress would they effectively join the mindless legions of hell? Especially since, if it's Annie and Reiner, we've seen them personally recoil at the horrors they've helped to inflict on humanity. I'm just very, very nervous about how they're going to resolve this.

Tl;Dr: One of the things I've really liked about this show is that the characters have been very easily understandable and generally quite sympathetic. The impending plot twists appear to be something that could be incredibly hard for a character to do while still being remotely understandable or sympathetic. This worries me.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 4, 2013

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Holy poo poo, that stunt Reiner pulled when flying out of the Titan's closed fist, that was loving sick.

In other news, Pixis should be pleased with this new discovery.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

A big flaming stink posted:

Granted from a motivation perspective none of this makes any-loving-sense whatsoever but Reiner pretty clearly got crushed to a pulp there!

He cut off the lady Titan's finger before she crushed his head, which is where all the blood and steam came from. When he flies out of her hand, you can see her finger flying away from the stump.

My speculation as to the reasons behind the lady Titan's actions:

It's pretty clear by now that the lady Titan is Annie: she has Annie's eyes, hair, and nose, and she's good at CQC (i.e., Annie's special talent). Annie's stated goal is simple survival, and most everything she's done is pursuant to that. If the Survey Corps finds out the Titan's secrets, Annie will almost certainly be killed, so she wants to keep humanity in the dark about the Titans for as long as possible. That's why I believe she's the one who killed Sawney and Bean: she has both motive (killing Hanji's test subjects helps keep the Titans' secrets) and opportunity (she can kill other Titans without using any 3-D gear by changing into her Titan form). She knows that the Survey Corps will discover the Titans' secrets if they recover Zhingashina and excavate the basement, so she wants the 57th Expedition to fail. Eren is the key to the expedition's success, so her top priority is killing him. She's cool with killing the other people who attack her, because 1) fighting slows her down and 2) each death increases the chances of the mission's failure, but she's not going to go after people who don't attack her because that would be a waste of time. She specifically spared Armin because Armin said she was nice.

What I don't understand is why Reiner wants to kill Annie (you'd think they'd be on the same side, both being Titans and all) and how Armin knew that yelling about revenge would goad Reiner into attacking. However, it's important to understand that we still don't know the Titans' true nature, or what the Aberrant Titans' goals are. All I can do is hope that the writers will resolve these questions satisfactorily.

Also, Boyfriend speculates that Erwin is named for Erwin Rommel, the WWII German Field Marshal known both for his skill as a commander and for his honorable and compassionate nature. Rommel never committed war crimes, always ignoring orders to kill any civilians, Jews, or commandos he had captured. He was also involved in the 20 July conspiracy, which tried and failed to kill Hitler; Hitler forced Rommel to commit suicide because of this. The choice of name supports the notion that Erwin Smith is planning a coup against the repressive human government.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 4, 2013

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
This episode was quite good and welcome from some of the past slow dragged out ones. That stare down between Armin and the female titan was creepy as gently caress. Next week needs to get here now.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

My mostly unfounded guess was that Lady Titan is Armin's mother. Wasn't it said that she and her husband wandered outside years ago? We all know that Eren's dad is into some titan poo poo and I assume the families were close.

Plus she seemed to stop herself from attacking Armin multiple times, despite attacking the others. Armored titan could be his dad maybe? Though this is all a lot of plot power to give to a main character that's not Erin.

Though, that Reiner pic sure is something.

Edit: Armin's design reminds me a lot of Julian from Legend of Galactic Heroes.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Pththya-lyi posted:

What I don't understand is why Reiner wants to kill Annie (you'd think they'd be on the same side, both being Titans and all) and how Armin knew that yelling about revenge would goad Reiner into attacking. However, it's important to understand that we still don't know the Titans' true nature, or what the Aberrant Titans' goals are. All I can do is hope that the writers will resolve these questions satisfactorily.

If he is a Titan (which seems increasingly likely) than it's unlikely that he really did intend to hurt her. He intentionally took his hood off before attacking her to ensure that she would see his face, probably aware that once she did she wouldn't kill him. My guess is that the reason the female Titan changed direction at the end of the episode is that in the heat of the moment Reiner told her where Erin is in the formation. Remember he learned that from Armin earlier in the episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Sankis posted:

My mostly unfounded guess was that Lady Titan is Armin's mother. Wasn't it said that she and her husband wandered outside years ago? We all know that Eren's dad is into some titan poo poo and I assume the families were close.

Plus she seemed to stop herself from attacking Armin multiple times, despite attacking the others. Armored titan could be his dad maybe? Though this is all a lot of plot power to give to a main character that's not Erin.

Though, that Reiner pic sure is something.

This is my personal theory too; I don't want to rule out the idea that people who are/were in Titans could lose control so completely they begin living as Aberrants and never pull out. Still, I guess I could see it being Annie due to physical resemblance, but I can't see why she'd do that. She's going to come back, somehow, but I'm not sure like this. It seems too obvious. Still, anime does tend to work in a "when you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras" fashion so maybe it is her. I'd be kinda disappointed though.

My current theory is that Titans were originally a weapon developed to be used in some ages old war (lots of shots of two opposing sides in the iconography of the OP/ED), but then went out of control. They are mindless and inscrutable because they are meant to have 'drivers', but without people inside them they began acting on instinct, like big dumb animals. Maybe they're eating people to try and get them inside and gain a 'control center'?

Also I'm laying this down: I think the Collossal Titan is Eren's father.

EDIT:

Soulcleaver posted:

Humans aren't the real monsters here, the real monsters are the real monsters.

Yeah they are but this show would be pretty dumb if it didn't also show all the stupid ways humans sabotage themselves when faced with danger. We are and always have been a threat to our own survival when faced with life or death situations. There is a big theme about making choices in this show; the people on the Survey Corps are choosing to fight (and hell the whole concept of choosing a corps), and it's a direct and intentional contrast to the people like the cart guy, etc who choose to sabotage themselves and others. It doesn't matter why you make your choice (several of the characters make selfless choices while they themselves could be considered less than noble in nature); just that you make it. Even when Mikasa gives up because she thinks Eren is dead, it's painted as her making a choice to give up and lose hope. Or think about the entire resupply corps making the choice to abandon everyone during the Battle at Trost; hiding and one guy even killing himself - they made choices that sabotaged the group. This is why things like Eren's tribunal, or the fact that he didn't 'choose' to be a Titan are such jarring events. Choice has been removed. And also with the death of Eren's mother, and even everyone being forced to live in the walls. Situations where people feel hopeless because the ability to choose has been taken away. Choice; it's bleeding from every pore of this anime. And even with Eren becoming a Titan, they may pull some 'you made the choice with your steely resolve to kill Titans!' BS. This theme of choice (choose yourself, or others? Choose to fight, or give in to fear?) is going to keep popping up over and over so keep an eye on it.

People choosing to protect themselves and sabotage others isn't a problem equivalent with the Titans, but you couldn't make a show about humanity being on the brink without portraying all the different ways people worried about dying would gently caress one another over. If the show was about a bunch of people who liked each other and got along while fighting a greater menace, and humanity overcoming its shortcomings and working together for the final good with no hitches, it would have absolutely no bite.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Aug 4, 2013

• Locked thread