Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

How do they judge what category a Kaiju is? The moment when the end game boss comes out of the portal and before it's even show the announcer declares it a Level V boss was ridiculous.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

PriorMarcus posted:

How do they judge what category a Kaiju is? The moment when the end game boss comes out of the portal and before it's even show the announcer declares it a Level V boss was ridiculous.

Something about how the portal opens in diameter or something?

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Pacific Rim Wiki posted:

Each Kaiju is classified under five different categories. Categories 1 through 2 represent the weakest of the Kaiju, while Categories 3 through 5 are the strongest. The Serizawa Scale measures water displacement, toxicity and ambient radiation levels given off by their bodies when they pass through the breach.

It's all very :science:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Also, the final Kaiju, Slattern, measured 600 feet in length. That's over twice the size of the jaegers.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

dreffen posted:

Something about how the portal opens in diameter or something?

They have sensors around the portal, explained it in the book.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

PaganGoatPants posted:

They have sensors around the portal, explained it in the book.

Oh yeah I figured when they were talking about diameter of the portal openings that they must've had some kind of instruments down there although I hadn't read the book. Still a little interesting thing, I think.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

Also, the final Kaiju, Slattern, measured 600 feet in length. That's over twice the size of the jaegers.

Really? I'd swear the Kaiju would be larger. For example, the carrier featured in the shot of the Kaiju corpse being ferried is the John C. Stennis, CVN-74, a Nimitz class carrier with a length of 1092 feet or 332 meters. That Kaiju corpse takes up a good 3/4s of that ship.

I swear that someone transposed feet for meters.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well, the databook says Slattern is 600 feet in height, so if that's true, then in length it would easily surpass the size of an aircraft carrier.

I seem to recall it towering over Striker Eureka in the final battle, too, so that's probably right.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

Well, the databook says Slattern is 600 feet in height, so if that's true, then in length it would easily surpass the size of an aircraft carrier.

I seem to recall it towering over Striker Eureka in the final battle, too, so that's probably right.

Well, it's a common complaint about the scale of this movie. The figures provided seem fairly small for what's seen on screen. I know someone mentioned earlier that the helicopters used to carry the Jaegers are based off Chinooks, which are about 100 feet in length (30 meters metric), but seem to be about a tenth the size of a Jaeger like Gipsy Danger. Also, the 40 foot containers used in the Leatherback would be a size of their shins instead of barely fitting in their hand.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
The scale is hosed in a giant robot movie? Well I never :monocle:

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
At least it's better than Evangelion, where the scale for the Evas varied between 40 and 200 meters depending on what looked cooler.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012
Gonna be honest, this movie sort of disappointed me. Based on the tagline, I thought it was going to be a bit deeper than just a popcorn movie. I mean it doesn't have to be to Evangelion levels but a bit of psychoanalysis in a premise perfect for it would have been nice.

Also I don't get why they focused on all those foreign jaegers in the advertising when they literally did nothing in the actual movie. Should have just had Gypsy Danger, and then had more added on in a sequel (albeit I'm starting to doubt this movie is actually going to get a sequel. I've seen no one as quick to call "bomb" as with movies like the Lone Ranger but the numbers don't look promising. Guess it hasn't come out in Japan yet?)

Sex Beef 2.0 fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Aug 4, 2013

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

TheWorldIsSquare posted:

Also I don't get why they focused on all those foreign jaegers in the advertising when they literally did nothing in the actual movie. Should have just had Gypsy Danger, and then had more added on in a sequel (albeit I'm starting to doubt this movie is actually going to get a sequel. I've seen no one as quick to call "bomb" as with movies like the Lone Ranger but the numbers don't look promising. Guess it hasn't come out in Japan yet?)

Cherno Alpha (a Mark I jaeger mind you) and Crimson Typhoon were pitted against Category IV kaijus that were built specifically to destroy cities and fight jaegers (Leatherback's organic EMP and Otachi's metal melting vomit weren't seen from any kajuis that predated them). The film takes place in medias res, during the waning days of piloting giant robots; it makes sense that both Cherno and Crimson got their asses kicked. Also, this film is doing just fine. We'll get our sequel.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012

teagone posted:

Cherno Alpha (a Mark I jaeger mind you) and Crimson Typhoon were pitted against Category IV kaijus that were built specifically to destroy cities and fight jaegers (Leatherback's organic EMP and Otachi's metal melting vomit weren't seen from any kajuis that predated them). The film takes place in medias res, during the waning days of piloting giant robots; it makes sense that both Cherno and Crimson got their asses kicked.

I mean okay but they still didn't do anything. It's justified story wise but c'mon.

teagone posted:

Also, this film is doing just fine. We'll get our sequel.

Eh, I don't follow this sort of thing much. I'll take your word for it.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I doubt GDT gives a gently caress about the domestic market. It's going to hit big in Japan, and that's where the money is going to roll in.

Any word on the Russian front?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Scyantific posted:

I doubt GDT gives a gently caress about the domestic market. It's going to hit big in Japan, and that's where the money is going to roll in.

Any word on the Russian front?

Out of all the foreign markets, it seems to have made the most in Russia. As of BOM 7/28/13 it's made $19,350,611 from Russia. That's three times what it made in Australia.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Milky Moor posted:

Out of all the foreign markets, it seems to have made the most in Russia. As of BOM 7/28/13 it's made $19,350,611 from Russia. That's three times what it made in Australia.

Yeah, the top five of the foreign market, according to Box Office Mojo, is:

Russia - $19 million
South Korea -$17 million
Mexico - $14 million
UK - $10 million
France/Australia - $6 million each.

However, these are from last week (7/28). Russia and SK are probably at least a million dollars higher by now. Total foreign market numbers are $140 million. Domestic is still chugging away at $90 million, so it'll probably at least get half its production cost back out of the domestic sales.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I was at a party tonight and talked to three or four people who wanted to see the movie but haven't been able to yet.

Was starting to worry that repeat viewing audience wouldn't be enough, but I think there's a huge market that is untapped at the moment. Could be a sleeper hit on DVD, maybe? I know I've debated about buying a 3D TV just to watch it on 3D Blu-Ray.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TheWorldIsSquare posted:

I mean okay but they still didn't do anything. It's justified story wise but c'mon.
You're right. They shouldn't focus on advertising the Chinese and Russian Jaegers, two ridiculously huge markets they are hoping to make a large portion of their income from. They should just give up on advertising. Why bother?

Supposedly there was more for both groups but it got cut.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Jet Jaguar posted:

I was at a party tonight and talked to three or four people who wanted to see the movie but haven't been able to yet.

Was starting to worry that repeat viewing audience wouldn't be enough, but I think there's a huge market that is untapped at the moment. Could be a sleeper hit on DVD, maybe? I know I've debated about buying a 3D TV just to watch it on 3D Blu-Ray.

They already took it out most theaters around me, I'm thinking the DVD will be huge. I still feel like a lot of this is being mishandled.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

RBX posted:

They already took it out most theaters around me, I'm thinking the DVD will be huge. I still feel like a lot of this is being mishandled.

I was surprised to see that it's still in about 1800 theaters, despite being mishandled for three weeks.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
It broke the record for opening week/end (don't remember which) in China, too.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

You're right. They shouldn't focus on advertising the Chinese and Russian Jaegers, two ridiculously huge markets they are hoping to make a large portion of their income from. They should just give up on advertising. Why bother?

Supposedly there was more for both groups but it got cut.

Hopefully there'll be an extended version...

Cherno Alpha had such an awesome design. I wanted to see the Russians smash monsters for the whole movie. Seriously, for the whole Otachi fight, I was waiting for Cherno Alpha to charge in with a cracked helmet ("PUNY KAIJU, THE WATER SHIELDED US FROM THE EMP! NOW PREPARE TO BE ROBO-GRAPPLED"), piledrive Otachi, rip of its claw tail and punch it some more before it flies off with Gypsy Danger - half to defeat Gypsy, half to get the gently caress away from the crazy Russians. It would've been glorious, and Gypsy would still get its awesome moments.

Clearly, this movie's greatest flaw is not enough giant robot battles. Not that it had too few. Just that it also could've had more. :(

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a fist punching an inhuman face - forever.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 4, 2013

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

If you want a pucture of the future, imagine a fist punching an inhuman face - forever.

Yes, yes, you're so much smarter than me (and anyone else who likes the robots punching Kaijus) for overthinking this movie, whatever. I respect your opinion, but I don't think you're actually going to convince anyone by being all :smug: with Orwell quotes.

Anyway, I'm hopeful for Pacific Rim 2 further fascist propaganda, since it's performing so well in China. Hopefully the fact the money's tied up in that tax kerfuffle won't discourage the studio from factoring it in. Still, bodes well. It's not opened in Japan yet, has it?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I was really hoping this movie would be a big hit and cause Symbionic Titan to come out on DVD so I can buy it and watch it. For those of you who did not see it during it's short run, Symbionic Titan was a show created for Cartoon Network by Genndy Tartakovsky (creator of Samurai Jack and the original Clone Wars) about a giant mech fighting giant monsters. it was amazing and it was canceled after one season because it did not have any toys attached to it, which is a shame, because, like Pacific Rim, I would have bought all of them.

I tried to find a simple animated gif from Sym-Bionic Titan, but this video pretty much sums up everything awesome about it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVNzlHDeVCc

Snak fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 4, 2013

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Milky Moor posted:

Speaking of, how was the :ussr: accent on... Sasha? Aleksis? the Cherno pilot who had all of the English spoken lines? All I could tell was that it sure was a Russian accent, not if it was accurate or stereotypical.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

If you want a pucture of the future, imagine a fist punching an inhuman face - forever.

The future is now and it is awesomeFASCIST! :sbahj:

Da Koos
Aug 4, 2013

by T. Finninho

Acid Spit:

"While the Real, by definition, cannot be directly represented, it can nonetheless be alluded to in certain figurative embodiments of horror-excess. In Zizek's famous example, it is alluded to in the monster from Scott's film, Alien, whose blood literally dissolves the fabric of reality. And just as the unity of the protagonists in this film is constituted against the threat of the Alien, so reality itself is always constructed as an attempt to establish a basic consistency against the disintegrative effects of the Real. Just as being may be understood as being-towards-madness, reality is always reality-towards-the-Real. Every form of (symbolic-imaginary) reality exists as an impossible attempt to escape the various manifestations of the Real that threatens disintegration of one kind or another: trauma, loss, anxiety and so on."(link)

The specific image of the skyscraper being melted with acid spit, exposing the girders, is the same image of 'the city unborn' in "X": The Man With The X-Ray Eyes: "I see the city as if it were unborn … Limbs without flesh, girders without stone, signs hanging without supports, wires dipping and swaying without poles … flesh dissolved in an acid of light: a city of the dead"

Now, unless Del Toro is impossibly oblivious for a film director, he knows that the hyperreal CGI aesthetic of the film is not opposed to the imagery of monstrous abjection. These are different representations of the same Real - the 'imaginary Real' of pulsating ick, and the 'symbolic Real' of pure mathematical formula. This is obviously deliberately represented by the two competing scientists: Newton with his piles of organs and Gottlieb with his holograms. And the precursors are again a mirror: their genetic manipulations represent the endgame of these scientists' research.

"Instruments of “literal transparency” are the main components in the search to produce a ghostlike (or computer-game like) military fantasy-world of boundless fluidity, in which the space of the city becomes as navigable as an ocean." (link)

It's this fantasy-world that is seen in the tactics of Otachi, invisible from the air as she wades through skyscrapers - as in Aliens: "they're coming out of the god drat walls!" Del Toro lingers on the moment where she bursts through the mirrored surface. Far from being a uniquely monstrous quality, the jaeger-pilot-pilot amalgam also perceives the world (and its selves) as a ghostlike hologram of gamespace. Everything in the film is literally CGI. Again, the aliens (with their sensors) represent the Skynet future of humanity.

"Connor describes how the very idea of X-ray vision has historically induced anxiety and terror because ‘the problem with X-rays is that, for the most part, what they like best is to go through things, and to go on going through things unless or until they meet something, like lead, that absorbs or scatters them’. To demonstrate, he identifies X as a ‘dystopia’ in which ‘every last pocket of opacity has been seared away, leaving a vitreous desert of universal transparency’, and he aligns the film with Baudrillard’s theory of hyperreality, with its preoccupation with depthlessness and the fatal blurring of private and public realms: ‘In a world in which everything must be made visible, and in which “value radiates in all directions”, the transparency of evil is indistinguishable from the evil of transparency’.

In this account, seeing everything, a process to which we willingly succumb via commodity fetishism, is the tool of an oppressive, autonomous system that exposes us to its inner workings: the truth that is revealed may not be a truth we are ontologically equipped to handle, with its inescapable highlighting of the fact that our free will has been stripped to the bone, and that this outcome has been smuggled in via our own collusion." (link)

This is a vision of the whole totalizing system, the total objectification of a person so that you don't see a face but the mass of tissue underneath. And it's theoretically against this outcome that Stacker forms his resistance. But:

"The response of some critics on the postmodern Left to this predicament is to call for a new politics of resistance. Those who still insist on fighting state power, let alone seizing it, are accused of remaining stuck within the ‘old paradigm’: the task today, their critics say, is to resist state power by withdrawing from its terrain and creating new spaces outside its control. This is, of course, the obverse of accepting the triumph of capitalism. The politics of resistance is nothing but the moralising supplement to a Third Way Left" (link)

Again, it's the observation that Stacker merely seeks to kill Bin Laden, as it were. He is not prepared to fight the system that produces Bin Ladens. His resistance is the creation of a little island, off to the side, from which they can pretend that they are free of the 'suits' - forgetting that the powerful still control both universes.

"I wish that human being SuperMechaGodzilla would stop quoting me. AAAAH MONSTERS INSIDE MY BRAIN" - Zizek

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yes, yes, you're so much smarter than me (and anyone else who likes the robots punching Kaijus) for overthinking this movie, whatever. I respect your opinion, but I don't think you're actually going to convince anyone by being all :smug: with Orwell quotes.

If the movie were truly successful, shouldn't you be giddily oblivious of my concerns, instead of whiny?

Like, folks are putting a lot wordy seriousness behind their celebration of what's ostensibly lowthought stupidtime. You shouldn't be trying so hard to be happy, like I am.

Pacific Rim's fascism is its most amusing quality - way funnier than any mere fist movement. Enjoy it!

Instead of complaining about Orwell references, you should just love stomping faces - unabashedly.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Pacific Rim - There Will Be Nazi Penis

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Another update on the boxoffice front:
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=pacificrim.htm

As of writing this post, the film has made 293 million worldwide, having spiked about 60 million or so in its foreign revenue.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

boxofficemojo posted:

Pacific Rim was always expected to do great business in Asia, but few expected it to do this well: the movie opened to an incredible $45.2 million in its first five days in China, which is Warner Bros. biggest opening ever. Overall, the movie took in $53 million this weekend, and its overseas total is now just over $200 million. With Spain, Brazil and (most notably) Japan opening Friday, Pacific Rim should have no problem getting to $300 million by the end of its run.

I guess this is great news and a sequel is more likely now

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

El Chingon posted:

I guess this is great news and a sequel is more likely now

I keep forgetting Japan hasn't even had this open yet. :psyduck:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Did this movie's opening weekend in China bring in more than its opening weekend in America?

Sign of the times maybe, but also whoever was in charge of the US release REALLY dropped the ball.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Maxwell Lord posted:

Did this movie's opening weekend in China bring in more than its opening weekend in America?

Sign of the times maybe, but also whoever was in charge of the US release REALLY dropped the ball.

I think it was less a sign of the times and more that they messed up the advertising in the US.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Also being fair, China's release was a day longer, so its had more of a chance to rake in an initial draw. Nevertheless, its now the best opening of any Warner Brothers film in China, so thats something.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Raserys posted:

Pacific Rim - There Will Be Nazi Penis

Fascist phalluses, actually. Give Del Toro some credit; It's a fairly nuanced movie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?

Pacific Rim's fascism is its most amusing quality - way funnier than any mere fist movement. Enjoy it!

I admit, I'm partial to Stanley Payne and his typological description of Fascism, but I didn't really see any of the fascist negations, 3 of the 4 items on his ideology and goals list, or an emphasis on masculinity or youth/ the necessity of generational conflict.

I think the word you mean is Authoritarian. Or maybe corpratist.

George Orwell posted:

It will be seen that, as used, the word ‘Fascism’ is almost entirely meaningless. In conversation, of course, it is used even more wildly than in print. I have heard it applied to farmers, shopkeepers, Social Credit, corporal punishment, fox-hunting, bull-fighting, the 1922 Committee, the 1941 Committee, Kipling, Gandhi, Chiang Kai-Shek, homosexuality, Priestley's broadcasts, Youth Hostels, astrology, women, dogs and I do not know what else.

Halman fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 5, 2013

• Locked thread