Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Yo I am very upset about all these nay sayers saying things about kicking. I'm not happy right now. <:mad:>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Yo I am very upset about all these nay sayers saying things about kicking. I'm not happy right now. <:mad:>

I'm not trying to dissuade you or anything; it'd at least be amusing. The Elf does get a skill that boosts kicking damage based on the defense stat on her boots, but I don't know how much difference that makes.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I'd figure the Amazon with her gigantic thighs would deal more kick damage than axe.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Classtoise posted:

I'd figure the Amazon with her gigantic thighs would deal more kick damage than axe.

On that note, does the Amazon have skills that encourage switching between her axe and murdering things with her thighs through the charged weapon slam mechanic?

vvv: Aww, lame.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Aug 2, 2013

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Nope. Berserk increases kick damage and speed, but it still sucks because it does less damage and more importantly you lose the iframes from one of her axe-only skills. You'll still be kicking a fair amount because that axe falls out of your hands when you get hit a lot of the time. I'm making a fighter now during my Chaos Labyrinth breaks, so we'll see where that goes.

Edit: the charged slam is really only useful if you need the burst right away, e.g. finishing a dangerous boss or something, otherwise you're better off just hitting the target normally.

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Aug 2, 2013

Death Cube K
Mar 20, 2008

You're pretentious, this club sucks, I have beef. Let's fight.

Meowbot posted:

For whatever reason no one really touched on the loot a lot in the reviews - is it not as involved as they led us to believe?

I've watched two reviews and both of them made loot comparisons to Diablo 2, Borderlands, or Torchlight 2.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I watched a bit of streams of japanese players on higher difficulties during lunch and man it looks like the dwarf, uh, dwarfs the other characters in damage by far. Maybe he's super higher geared and leveled but it was random matchup so I dunno. During boss fights he easily out performed the other three characters. He just stood there tanking all the damage while making GBS threads damage while other players were running around like headless chickens trying to avoid getting hit so maybe that was it.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Loot is not as interesting as I would have liked, but it's not terrible either. Basically items just get a set amount of mods when they drop, and you identify them; however there aren't any "cool" special properties per se like Borderlands 2 uniques; in a sense the mods are kind of drab in general.

The dwarf does indeed do a lot of damage, but I don't have one myself so I can't compare to my Amazon. Berserk Amazons with War Paint are hard to beat though, if annoying to start up sometimes.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

RoyalScion posted:

Loot is not as interesting as I would have liked, but it's not terrible either. Basically items just get a set amount of mods when they drop, and you identify them; however there aren't any "cool" special properties per se like Borderlands 2 uniques; in a sense the mods are kind of drab in general.

The dwarf does indeed do a lot of damage, but I don't have one myself so I can't compare to my Amazon. Berserk Amazons with War Paint are hard to beat though, if annoying to start up sometimes.

Well Chaos Labyrinth stuff is a notch above the rest in the interesting mods department, but there's nothing quite game changing like some BL2 loot.

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport

The Moon Monster posted:

Here's an interesting blog post about all the references to classic and popular art in the launch trailer. I'm a philistine so I only noticed the Disney ones. A few of them are probably just coincidences, but a lot of them are pretty clear. I thought it was interesting.

Thanks for posting this.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
Can someone give me builds for Elf? I honestly don't know what I'm doing.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dont level up rapid fire, pick either fire or poison

Get these skills (names taken from here http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&prev=_dd&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.4gamer.net%2Fgames%2F134%2FG013480%2FFC20130718003%2F, just match pictures)
power shot
clone shot
impact arrow
arrow stock
enhanced boots
reduced damage

You do damage on bosses with your up charged shot. when you run out of arrows you kick them until you get more

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

Well Chaos Labyrinth stuff is a notch above the rest in the interesting mods department, but there's nothing quite game changing like some BL2 loot.

It might be better for other classes, but Amazon items are just boring stuff like +50% to Brandish (Which admittedly, is really nice, but not really exciting).

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

If anyone wants a partner to share this with on the PS3 hit me up.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Hey for anyone that got it early, is the art book some little pamphlet thing or is it substantial?

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Overbite posted:

Hey for anyone that got it early, is the art book some little pamphlet thing or is it substantial?

It's a decently-sized paperback book, slightly smaller than an A4 sheet of paper and about a quarter of an inch thick.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Fauxtool posted:

dont level up rapid fire, pick either fire or poison

Get these skills (names taken from here http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&prev=_dd&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.4gamer.net%2Fgames%2F134%2FG013480%2FFC20130718003%2F, just match pictures)
power shot
clone shot
impact arrow
arrow stock
enhanced boots
reduced damage

You do damage on bosses with your up charged shot. when you run out of arrows you kick them until you get more

Thanks. I'm also looking into Amazon, I'm guessing Deadly Revolve and Neck Stripper are good? What about Berserk?

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Megalixir posted:

Thanks. I'm also looking into Amazon, I'm guessing Deadly Revolve and Neck Stripper are good? What about Berserk?

Absolute max skills are Berserk, Brandish, and the War Paint skill(Creates clones). I also like maxing Punisher, to get faster stacks of Berserk, and dump one point in Parry/Health. Max pockets and evasion, and then split points as you wish between adrenaline and revolution. I personally maxed stun wave, because some range is nice. Unfortunately I also maxed Brutal Drive, which was a mistake; I'd probably max out adrenaline/parry and put more points into health or something.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

RoyalScion posted:

Absolute max skills are Berserk, Brandish, and the War Paint skill(Creates clones). I also like maxing Punisher, to get faster stacks of Berserk, and dump one point in Parry/Health. Max pockets and evasion, and then split points as you wish between adrenaline and revolution. I personally maxed stun wave, because some range is nice. Unfortunately I also maxed Brutal Drive, which was a mistake; I'd probably max out adrenaline/parry and put more points into health or something.

Thanks. Amazon seems pretty OP, my base damage is pretty high and I'm only 30 or something. I still think Dwarf is better though..

Oh, and one of my friends has confirmed for me that the Japanese saves won't work on the US version. I had a feeling that was the case.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Megalixir posted:

Thanks. Amazon seems pretty OP, my base damage is pretty high and I'm only 30 or something. I still think Dwarf is better though..

Oh, and one of my friends has confirmed for me that the Japanese saves won't work on the US version. I had a feeling that was the case.

Amazon is pretty ridiculous once you get berserk going; you might consider Incite Rage too if you find the downtime period of no berserk really nasty. My opinion isn't worth much, as I haven't played Dwarf, but I'm pretty sure nobody can beat Amazons for doing damage to bosses, as popping war paint basically triples your damage for 20 seconds and you don't even have to dodge most of the time, because Brandish makes you invincible during its duration; with the increased attack speed from Berserk you basically spend 50%+ of your time invincible wailing on bosses.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

How big is the downloadable Vita version?
I'm still waffling between getting the PS3 and Vita version, and my memory card is pretty full up so I may just order the physical copy if it's over 2GB.
Or maybe I'll just get the PS3 one WHO KNOWS

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Speaking of waffling I'm doing so between the NA and EU versions. How long are we talking between them, like just a few weeks, or half a year like P4G?

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Pierson posted:

Speaking of waffling I'm doing so between the NA and EU versions. How long are we talking between them, like just a few weeks, or half a year like P4G?

It's Atlus, and Europe is still TBA. It isn't a very hard decision to make.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
So, did we decide that this is or isn't getting a day one release on the PSN? The page for it is really bare and doesn't have a price or release date. If it doesn't in the US but does in Japan that would just be weird.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Samurai Sanders posted:

So, did we decide that this is or isn't getting a day one release on the PSN? The page for it is really bare and doesn't have a price or release date. If it doesn't in the US but does in Japan that would just be weird.

PlayStation Blog says it'll be day one.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Megalixir posted:

It's Atlus, and Europe is still TBA. It isn't a very hard decision to make.
I'm going to say it'll be more Persona Golden than Soul Sacrifice then, getting an NA copy it is.

It can share a memory card with Muramasa. Vanillacard. :swoon:

edit; What's the go-to store for importing games to the EU? Videogamesplus.ca is gone now. :(

Pierson fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Aug 5, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh okay, I think I will buy it that way, since I have $25 still unused on the PSN.

Then, all four or so games I am currently playing will be lootfests: this, EDF4, Mercenary Kings, and Borderlands 2. That seems to be my thing at the moment.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kaboobi posted:

How big is the downloadable Vita version?
I'm still waffling between getting the PS3 and Vita version, and my memory card is pretty full up so I may just order the physical copy if it's over 2GB.
Or maybe I'll just get the PS3 one WHO KNOWS

Vita version: around 1 GB

And the PS3 version: around 1.5 GB

Japanese download versions are similar sizes. Vita 1.1 GB | PS3 1.5 GB

AngryGuy
Sep 30, 2008
GiantBomb put up their quick look for this game for anyone interested. They grabbed Peter Brown from Gamespot who wrote the Gamespot review to do the quick look.

The Fighter looks kinda boring and they say as much in the quick look. Does anyone know if the Dwarf is a little more interesting? Maybe melee in this game is just not going to be for me.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Dwarf apparently has the most versatile set of optional skills and arguably looks the most comedic. Why not give them all a try?

Tomorrow can not come quickly enough.

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Based on that quick look. elf or wizard/sorc look like they might be my bag. The other characters look like the standard for hack and slash.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

The more I see of this game and how it plays out the more I realize how humorless the reviewers who panned it as sexist have to be. This game is so obviously ridiculous and over-the-top, and the boobs flying everywhere are just one facet of it. The ridiculously cloying narrator, chucking enemies all over the screen, spell effects flying everywhere, setting nearly the entire floor on fire and hurting everyone at once including yourself, scavenging the grounds for adventurers' bones to raise and conscript, hitting things so hard you drop your axe, tiptoeing around sleeping enemies while snatching their treasure, references to everything from Fantasia to Monty Python, it's all so obviously meant to be silly. And yes, there's an NPC in town with about fifty thousand pecs to balance out some of those boobs, if you still have some sort of delusion that the art is supposed to be serious. The game is such a blatant mockery all around that I'm really flabbergasted that some people still didn't "get it".

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Do you mean ROLAND, THE BARBARIAN WARRIOR?

(I love how his inspect text if you click on him during route select or during the brief period he's at the adventurer's guild says "Roland is a barbarian warrior. He knows what is best in life.")

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

CrashCat posted:

The more I see of this game and how it plays out the more I realize how humorless the reviewers who panned it as sexist have to be. This game is so obviously ridiculous and over-the-top, and the boobs flying everywhere are just one facet of it. The ridiculously cloying narrator, chucking enemies all over the screen, spell effects flying everywhere, setting nearly the entire floor on fire and hurting everyone at once including yourself, scavenging the grounds for adventurers' bones to raise and conscript, hitting things so hard you drop your axe, tiptoeing around sleeping enemies while snatching their treasure, references to everything from Fantasia to Monty Python, it's all so obviously meant to be silly. And yes, there's an NPC in town with about fifty thousand pecs to balance out some of those boobs, if you still have some sort of delusion that the art is supposed to be serious. The game is such a blatant mockery all around that I'm really flabbergasted that some people still didn't "get it".
I haven't played the game, though I think a few bits of art, chiefly the female barbarian, is hideous even if you accept its lewdness.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Baron Bifford posted:

I haven't played the game, though I think a few bits of art, chiefly the female barbarian, is hideous even if you accept its lewdness.
Yes, very intentionally so. The designs are ridiculous as is everything else, to be enjoyed as something outlandish and not a role model. I guess maybe people are confused because the art looks detailed and like it took a lot of effort, but they're the equivalent of that guy who doesn't understand that the "straight man" in a comedy routine is also in on the gag. Both the crazy proportions and the hyper-ornate art with its carefully selected, nearly Renaissance-evoking color palette are part of the joke. A silly brawler shouldn't have nearly so much care put into it and nobody should have bodily proportions like that, which just makes it that much more absurd and glorious.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CrashCat posted:

Yes, very intentionally so. The designs are ridiculous as is everything else, to be enjoyed as something outlandish and not a role model. I guess maybe people are confused because the art looks detailed and like it took a lot of effort, but they're the equivalent of that guy who doesn't understand that the "straight man" in a comedy routine is also in on the gag. Both the crazy proportions and the hyper-ornate art with its carefully selected, nearly Renaissance-evoking color palette are part of the joke. A silly brawler shouldn't have nearly so much care put into it and nobody should have bodily proportions like that, which just makes it that much more absurd and glorious.

So what's "absurd and glorious" about the princess-molestation minigame, then

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So is this A Thing? I haven't played the game yet.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CrashCat posted:

Humorous.
I dunno, Disgaea is humorous too, yet Etna's character design is still garbage.

Baron Bifford posted:

Anime meets Josh Kirby.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

CrashCat posted:

I just watched the Quick Look over on Giant Bomb, and I was inclined to agree with you until we came to a scene with a wounded lady monk posing with her legs spread right in front of the camera. There's a line that kinda got crossed there.

Also saw the touching video, and that started to get into genuinely uncomfortable :stare: territory there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

So what's "absurd and glorious" about the princess-molestation minigame, then

What minigame? You can use the mouse cursor to poke characters in the background during dialogue sequences, but it's as much a fundamental part of the game as the exploding critters (click on them repeatedly and they blow up) in Starcraft.

• Locked thread