Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Analogue Kid
Jan 4, 2013

I can't stand them. But it's one of those cars better off as a woody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Young Orc

Citycop posted:

Where do you live? I would guess about 1 out of every 8 cars on the road in Texas is a PT Cruiser. They are stupid, ugly, slow, carry the stigma of old person's car and have been a sales slam dunk for Chrysler. Who would have ever thought that slapping a panel van body on a Dodge Neon would be embraced by the public?

They also get abysmal mileage. I think my mother's averaged low 20's.

edit

Tai-Pan posted:

Meh, I never got the hate for these cars. Sure the design is polarizing, so what? Personally, I didn't like the look a lot, but I was happy to see a car on the road that didn't look exactly like every one one driving around.

Beyond that, they were practical, reasonably reliable (as much as any chrysler product of the era) and cheap.

My problem was that it was pretty bad to drive and the interior space was really bad for such a tall car. They were so far into form over function that the rear storage ended up sucking compared to a similar five door hatch or an Aztec.

It was like the Prowler. Pretty unique exterior that was trying something different, but not particularly fun to drive or competitive in its segment.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 2, 2013

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Iron Soul posted:

I can't stand them. But it's one of those cars better off as a woody.

A guy here in my town bought an aqua colored PT right when they were new, stuck one of those kits on it as soon as they were available. And then he bought a surfboard and bolted it to the roof rack and drove around like that for years.

There is nowhere to surf anywhere in this state.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Citycop posted:

Where do you live? I would guess about 1 out of every 8 cars on the road in Texas is a PT Cruiser. They are stupid, ugly, slow, carry the stigma of old person's car and have been a sales slam dunk for Chrysler. Who would have ever thought that slapping a panel van body on a Dodge Neon would be embraced by the public?

I don't think they looked that bad, but holy poo poo did people make some hideous customs with them. If their fuel economy weren't poo poo for their size, and they had decent reliability, I might consider owning one. Kind of like I might consider owning a Cavalier if not for everything that makes it awful.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
The prowler gets a lot of flak for having a V6, but a lot of people seem to forget that it was a V6 that put out more horsepower than most of the SBC carb powered "hotrods" that are around. Hell, I've seen those motors stroked all the way to 5L and ~400 HP.

It's real weak link was the A-604 derived slushbox in the back but lets face it, the people who would buy one would want an Auto, and its all Chrysler had at the time.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
http://toledo.craigslist.org/cto/3975079420.html

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That poor 912 :(

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
As much as I hate to say it, I love that.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

You Am I posted:

That poor 912 :(

If it came from a rear-ended 912 and a front-ended 930, then this is pretty awesome.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The PT Cruiser had lovely build quality, terrible handling, terrible interior quality, terrible mileage, terrible performance, bad seating arrangement, and only kind of reasonable crash safety ratings. It was the exemplar of the race to mediocrity pursued by Chrysler during that era; a bald attempt (which succeeded wildly, and what does that say about America) to sell a lovely car based on cheap appeal to nostalgia. For the same price you could have gotten a better car by buying literally anything at that price point from any import marque, including Kia and Hyundai.

But gently caress, it wouldn't have looked vaguely like a classic cruiser! :byodood:

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
There's one guy who I know in his 60s who owns an auto parts company with several hundred employees and has a net worth in the eight digits. He has a rather large car collection, but absolutely no taste, as he decided to put a 350 in a PT Cruiser for some reason. His daily driver is a Chevy 3500HD pickup with a metallic camouflage paint job.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

Konstantin posted:

There's one guy who I know in his 60s who owns an auto parts company with several hundred employees and has a net worth in the eight digits. He has a rather large car collection, but absolutely no taste, as he decided to put a 350 in a PT Cruiser for some reason. His daily driver is a Chevy 3500HD pickup with a metallic camouflage paint job.

All the nostalgia of an old cruiser with none of the effort involved in restoring one (if you're stupid)

My girlfriend and I have been collecting pictures of weird/"custom" pt cruiser sightings for years now. My old cell phone has more content than that tan camry blog someone posted in AI a while back. Am I a crazy person? The best ones I've found were all in SoCal, there seems to be a huge following for them down there in the suburbs.

Drunken Lullabies fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Aug 2, 2013

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

Drunken Lullabies posted:

My girlfriend and I have been collecting pictures of weird/"custom" pt cruiser sightings for years now. My old cell phone has more content than that tan camry blog someone posted in AI a while back. Am I a crazy person?
only if you don't share.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Citycop posted:

Where do you live? I would guess about 1 out of every 8 cars on the road in Texas is a PT Cruiser.

here being AI in this case

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Drunken Lullabies posted:

All the nostalgia of an old cruiser with none of the effort involved in restoring one (if you're stupid)

My girlfriend and I have been collecting pictures of weird/"custom" pt cruiser sightings for years now. My old cell phone has more content than that tan camry blog someone posted in AI a while back. Am I a crazy person? The best ones I've found were all in SoCal, there seems to be a huge following for them down there in the suburbs.

I had the "pleasure" of judging the PT Cruiser group at the Auto Fair at Charlotte Motor Speedway. The horror! Easily 50 cars were in this group, and pretty much all were terrible.

I had an annoying owner following me around and trying to tell me why each car that wasn't his was a complete piece of poo poo (he was right) but then I got to his which was in the "Stock" category. He had stuck on those diamond-shaped plastic fake "vents", had aftermarket wheels, had painted a lot of his interior pieces a terrible yellow to match the exterior. I actually took some pleasure in asking him about the fake vents, which he reluctantly admitted were not stock.

In the end, he didn't win. Neither did I, because I spent a good hour looking at PT Cruisers.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.

We could create a whole thread devoted to lovely PT customs.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Jealous Cow posted:

They're ugly and the people that buy them suck. At least with poo poo like the Aztec some were suckered in with the "but it has a tent on the back!" bullshit.

A tent AND a self inflating mattress.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Citycop posted:

We could create a whole thread devoted to lovely PT customs.

Oh no, the poor thing beached itself. Someone quick, push it back in the water.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/3975947524.html

Possible gold? Clean Wranglers seem to typically list for a bit more than this.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Citycop posted:

PT stands for “personal transport,” that sounds exciting.

I thought it was only to do with the original (and still heinous) Pronto Cruiser concept, but apparently they added the Personal Transport thing.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

IOwnCalculus posted:

I thought it was only to do with the original (and still heinous) Pronto Cruiser concept, but apparently they added the Personal Transport thing.

That looks a hell of a lot better than what we got.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Jealous Cow posted:

They're ugly and the people that buy them suck.

Exactly.

Note that the neighbor I talked about a while ago in E/N that called the cops and animal control on my dog for barking every day for two weeks straight, proven straight up lying to them and my manager about it - and now that is consistently nice to me (but still lies constantly), drives this:

And yes, he puts a goddamn club on the steering wheel of the PT Cruiser, daily, living in the middle of the most suburby suburb in the area.

He tried to talk cars with me one day after I got my newer one, talking about how he collected classic Vettes once upon a time and how into engines he is. Currently, his other car is a Stratus.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So to put an end to PT Cruiser chat, some possible actual gold:

I already pulled the emissions records, he's right, it passes with flying colors. I actually kinda want this but <20MPG and 100hp seem a bit insane when combined, not to mention the fact that I have no idea if I can even fit into a FB.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
What the hell does this look like to you? Automotive SANITY? DO IT!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Dude, go get it. Nobody posts anything in Craigslist Gold they don't secretly want to own.

Even the PT Cruisers.

Worst case, you own it for a few uncomfortable weeks, have some uncomfortable drives and sell it for $6000 to an autocrosser.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

PT Cruiser styling on something like a Durango chassis would have been fantastic. I think that's what a lot of people pictured in their heads, hence the disappointment when it came out and it was a rebodied Neon.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
I'm not sure what to say about this..

Craigslist posted:

TJ... You Build It!

Very nice TJ Tub complete with all wiring harness and components, Frame and axles from another TJ, Engine-Trans-Transcase from a very low mile Cherokee that was wrecked being towed behind a motorhome. I will give you all the parts to build your TJ, Your way. Over $6,000 invested in 3 doner vehicles and parts.....You will have to deal with DMV and titles from wrecked donor's and parts salvaged after complete or during build. 775-782-7563.....775-309-7620

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Young Orc

Mighty Horse posted:

The prowler gets a lot of flak for having a V6, but a lot of people seem to forget that it was a V6 that put out more horsepower than most of the SBC carb powered "hotrods" that are around. Hell, I've seen those motors stroked all the way to 5L and ~400 HP.

It's real weak link was the A-604 derived slushbox in the back but lets face it, the people who would buy one would want an Auto, and its all Chrysler had at the time.

But this is why it was horrible. The Prowler wasn't supposed to be a big seller like the Stratus, it was supposed to sell a bit better than the Viper to a very specific crowd. If you're going to release a ridiculously niche car, but put an automatic and an engine from a minivan in it, then it's not going to be very well received beyond the conspicuous consumption crowd.

And I think it looked amazing, but as soon as I read that it wouldn't even have the option of a manual, then it really wasn't interesting anymore beyond the looks.

edit

Augmented Dickey posted:

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/3975947524.html

Possible gold? Clean Wranglers seem to typically list for a bit more than this.

This is why you get screencaps. Good job.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 3, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
This one really doesn't seem too bad. I need another garage. :sigh:

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Here we have two volvo 164 sedans less than 120 miles from each other. You could build one nice runner and make most of your money back on selling the extra parts. I wish I had the time and resources to do this right now. Maybe they'll still be for sale in 4 months? :shobon:

http://panamacity.craigslist.org/cto/3841667782.html
http://pensacola.craigslist.org/cto/3942495032.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SiliconX
Sep 18, 2004

That damn Pharah again...

College Slice

Cage posted:

That looks a hell of a lot better than what we got.

Most concepts usually do.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Saw this on copart....

Its all sorts of :psyduck:

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
That RX-7 is gorgeous. Looks like a good price, too. Someone get it!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Saw this on copart....

Its all sorts of :psyduck:

WTF is up with those tail lights?

I think the best thing you could do with that is turn it into a flatbed.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

AF posted:

That RX-7 is gorgeous. Looks like a good price, too. Someone get it!

It's still tempting me.

But then again, so is this.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

If you don't buy that you have to turn in your Mod card.

jsdrwho19999
Aug 4, 2013
Gold?

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/3951058304.html

jsdrwho19999 fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 12, 2013

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Keep your filthy ricer hands off it.

http://monterey.craigslist.org/cto/3995087289.html

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

I don't know if this has been posted yet, went back a couple of pages and didn't see it.

VOLVO

:swoon: Dat rear end.

Pretty sure it's not 5k worth of car, but I likes it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

I think the ricer thing has died off, or this car is now too old to be cool to them any more. What I'm worried about is the stancenation morons getting their hands on it. It's pretty nice, hopefully it goes to a non-idiot owner.