Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

From what I understand they don't sell new att Sims, you need to pick one up on eBay for an increased price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

tater_salad posted:

From what I understand they don't sell new att Sims, you need to pick one up on eBay for an increased price

Wow, those are really expensive and would take many months to pay for themselves, that sucks. Oh well.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

berzerker posted:

Wow, those are really expensive and would take many months to pay for themselves, that sucks. Oh well.

If you don't mind paying $5/mo more Net10 AT&T is exactly the same service (though with an explicit 1.5 GB data cap instead of Straight Talk's vague "somewhere between 1 and 2 gigs" cap). If you buy your SIM online you might need to give them a zip code with no T-Mobile service in order to get them to sell you an AT&T SIM.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
And if you set up auto-refill, it drops to 45 bucks.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

berzerker posted:

I've been using the TMo $30 plan for a year or two, but where I'm living for the next 9 months has weak Tmo signal and only Edge network, so it's instantly a much worse value. I want to try out AT&T via Straight Talk, but ST seems to want to sell me only TMobile coverage, or at least they keep mentioning TMobile on their website. Do they get data coverage via AT&T towers anymore? Have they gone all TMo and there's no AT&T at all anymore?

It's a little more complicated that that, but ATT is not giving ST any new SIM cards to sign up for service.

ST ATT Sim cards still work but are increasingly rare have been selling on ebay for up to $60. Instead if you use not much data, you could sign up for prepaid red rocket or Net 10.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Net10 with ATT has been giving me some problems with latency (or what appears to be latency - taking for. e. ver. to start loading a page) - has anyone had this same issue?

walumachoncha
Jul 22, 2004
fraeulin doesn't like linux/GNOME :(

Nihiliste posted:

Take a lesson from me and avoid getting the cheapest possible smartphone. I bought an LG Optimus V, but it had so little onboard storage that I started having to delete apps just to keep getting texts - and this is with the ability to shuttle some apps to a Micro SD card. Now I have a Galaxy Nexus and I'll gladly keep it for another year or more.

On the flip side if you root it, it can be bearable while you save for a hero phone. With a pretty stable Rom of ics, you can even get Google now to work, and most roms can link to sd card, so even apps that normally couldn't be moved to the card, can be linked to it. Ymmv.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Entire Universe posted:

Net10 with ATT has been giving me some problems with latency (or what appears to be latency - taking for. e. ver. to start loading a page) - has anyone had this same issue?

It's either AT&T itself or America Movil because I'm having the same issue on Straight Talk AT&T. It seems a reload of the page works.

Also MMS to ONE loving friend doesn't want to send but that's okay because he's the only one who still MMSes me.

I think he's scared of Hangouts or something.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

I was having this issue with net10 as well. I found a huge post on Howard forums about it. It made the service unusable so I just dropped it for aio wireless and couldn't be happier with this new service.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Jensen posted:

I was having this issue with net10 as well. I found a huge post on Howard forums about it. It made the service unusable so I just dropped it for aio wireless and couldn't be happier with this new service.

Doesn't Aio throttle you?

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Athenry posted:

Doesn't Aio throttle you?

I get att lte throttled to 8 down, yes. However they give you a solid 2 gigs of data and you can use it however you want (unlike net 10).

Yes you can sometimes get close to 8 down on Hspa but the lte just seems to always be at that 8 down. If you were behind a tree branch on Hspa it'd be more like 3 down.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004

Jensen posted:

No dice for me: "Right now, we're signing up new accounts in select Texas, Florida, Georgia and Illinois markets. We're expanding to new markets over the coming months, so look out for us in your area."

Net10 also seems pretty insistent on selling me on TMobile rather than AT&T. Screw you, AT&T, with your data parsimony! I just want some data coverage! Also screw you TMobile for not having decent data coverage in this area!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

berzerker posted:

No dice for me: "Right now, we're signing up new accounts in select Texas, Florida, Georgia and Illinois markets. We're expanding to new markets over the coming months, so look out for us in your area."

Net10 also seems pretty insistent on selling me on TMobile rather than AT&T. Screw you, AT&T, with your data parsimony! I just want some data coverage! Also screw you TMobile for not having decent data coverage in this area!

You can always just get someone in one of those states to mail you an AIO SIM card and go from there. Yes, you'd have a different number and area code, but would still be able to use their service.

I'm thinking of trying that myself.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
Here is AIO Wireless LTE from my GS4 GPe.

Better customer service (actual stores) and a tier 1 user experience. By that I mean I popped their SIM into my phone and upon boot I was connected to LTE and had working MMS. On NET10 I had to google APN's just to get data working, nevermind MMS. Also, and maybe other people can corroborate this, on NET10 does it take your phone a somewhat extended period of time to actually connect to the network on boot? On AIO it's instant. Lots of little things that make me think I'm just using a higher tier of service.

Also, can someone that has or used to have ATT postpaid service tell me what their APN settings are for the MMS port/proxy/address?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Now I just need to ask a family member in Florida to forward a Sim card to me from Aio. I have lots of friends and family in the 727 :whatup:

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Just FYI with AIO, the only way to port your number is to physically go to their store. If you have a SIM shipped to you it will be pre-activated with a phone number already on it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rabble posted:

Just FYI with AIO, the only way to port your number is to physically go to their store. If you have a SIM shipped to you it will be pre-activated with a phone number already on it.

That's fine. I have Google voice with a number I like ported to it. My number can be a 727, 904, 407, 813, 321 area code, I given't a poo poo. I mean on a continuum of shits given I guess you could say I think it would be neat to have something like an 813 number but its like having a low steam ID, sperg candy is all it is.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What's the story with Aio? Their website says they're nationwide, but only available in a few now? I'm in DC, but my parents are in FL (and I have an FL area code). Could I get a SIM next time I'm there and still use it here without an issue or would they cancel on me or something?

mainks
Jun 13, 2013

Has anyone used a Gevey SIM to unlock their phone? I have an iPhone 4S locked to VM that I would like to take to Denmark.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

What's the story with Aio? Their website says they're nationwide, but only available in a few now? I'm in DC, but my parents are in FL (and I have an FL area code). Could I get a SIM next time I'm there and still use it here without an issue or would they cancel on me or something?

Yes, you should be able to use it fine. All they want is money from you. You'll still get service since it's just AT&T.

You could call them and ask at least.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I asked in the recommendation threads but am posting here too:

This is my current plan:
me: $25/monthly, 300 minutes, unlimited data/text
wife: $40/monthly, 1200 minutes, unlimited data/text

The data speed is slower than poo poo and neither of us ever go over our minutes. My wife's Optimus V keeps loving up so a replacement is needed, but I'd like to keep the price point about the same and don't mind getting off Sprint. Would T-Mobile be a good choice for pre-paid with Android phone choices?

Some people are saying net10 is good if I want to get Nexus 4s - is it a legit option?

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

I asked in the recommendation threads but am posting here too:

This is my current plan:
me: $25/monthly, 300 minutes, unlimited data/text
wife: $40/monthly, 1200 minutes, unlimited data/text

The data speed is slower than poo poo and neither of us ever go over our minutes. My wife's Optimus V keeps loving up so a replacement is needed, but I'd like to keep the price point about the same and don't mind getting off Sprint. Would T-Mobile be a good choice for pre-paid with Android phone choices?

Some people are saying net10 is good if I want to get Nexus 4s - is it a legit option?

How much do you "never go over" by? Do you make a sizable amount of your calls in places with good wifi such that you could use VOIP calling? Do you have good TMobile speeds in your area? These will determine whether a 100 min / unlimited / unlimited plan is better or worse for you. In a good area, TMobile can have pretty darned capable internet speeds, in other areas it's non-existent or Edge only.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

berzerker posted:

How much do you "never go over" by? Do you make a sizable amount of your calls in places with good wifi such that you could use VOIP calling? Do you have good TMobile speeds in your area? These will determine whether a 100 min / unlimited / unlimited plan is better or worse for you. In a good area, TMobile can have pretty darned capable internet speeds, in other areas it's non-existent or Edge only.

This has been a busy phone month for me and I am only at about 150 minutes. My wife hits 400-600 on average monthly.

Can I do the TMobile $30 100 minute plan and route everything through Google Voice, eliminating the need for minutes in the first place? Apparently TMobile has pretty lovely coverage here (Grand Rapids) and Verizon is the best - what are the Verizon options?

Bigass Moth fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 6, 2013

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Bigass Moth posted:

This has been a busy phone month for me and I am only at about 150 minutes. My wife hits 400-600 on average monthly.

Can I do the TMobile $30 100 minute plan and route everything through Google Voice, eliminating the need for minutes in the first place? Apparently TMobile has pretty lovely coverage here (Grand Rapids) and Verizon is the best - what are the Verizon options?

Google voice still uses voice minutes. It does use DATA for txt messages, though.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

Yes, GV ignores voice minutes if you use GrooveIP or Talkatone to place the call, which routes the entire call through VOIP. In the Bay Area, where the HSPA signal was strong, I could have a serviceable (but not always great) call connection through those even without wifi. With wifi, it was usually fine-to-good, always good enough. I would never want to try that using Edge or probably even 3G.

Tmobile has lovely coverage most places, but it's a question of just HOW lovely and where EXACTLY relative to where you need it. Verizon is always the best, but also always CDMA so won't work with GSM (Tmobile friendly) phones and always lovely about overcharging for plans. Verizon knows they have the best network coverage and only Sprint as a competitor for CDMA phones, so they exploit that to the maximum possible amount.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
:siren: AT&T Straight talk sims are being sold again

http://www.shopstraighttalk.com/bpdirect/straighttalk/Start.do?action=view&brand=STRAIGHT_TALK&productFamily=simcards&market=GSM4

Guess AT&T and Straight talk kissed and made up?

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004

Also free overnight shipping until 8/30 if you get the sim + an unlimited plan service card (or maybe just even the sim, but I think it said over X dollars). Just ordered one.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I can hear all those folks holding on to sims for e-bay sale crying right now. I hope my homeowners covers flooding by tears.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
Unfortunate timing, just told a friend to pick up a Net10 sim since she doesn't have good Tmo service. Oh well, she won't know the difference and is still happy saving $30 a month.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I wonder if it's actually unlimited and if it's any better than Net10. Considering they're both Tracfone/Åméríçä Mövîl companies.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

I wonder if it's actually unlimited and if it's any better than Net10. Considering they're both Tracfone/Åméríçä Mövîl companies.

Not a chance. They are probably as militant as ever with data. My ST AT&T plan frequently says "no data connection." I have to tap "refresh" over and over and it will finally find an open data slot for MVNO cheapskates (full bars, not a signal issue).

Probably the result of AT&T giving tower priority to post-paid customers. I'm not refilling it again...just will use my TMo $30 plan. At least data is fast as hell and actually works without fiddling around.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Checking on this now.

Looks like they offer 2.5GB of data on the $45/mo plan now but nothing's updated. This is coming from HowardForums so I'm not sure how credible it is as there's no source.

ST FB support still claims no audio or video streaming of any kind. ST's TOS says no uninterrupted streaming. I guess this is different as someone on Howard Forums mentioned it?

The ST Facebook page is an absolute mess and I'd rather roam XDA for answers to anything though...

hotsauce posted:

Not a chance. They are probably as militant as ever with data. My ST AT&T plan frequently says "no data connection." I have to tap "refresh" over and over and it will finally find an open data slot for MVNO cheapskates (full bars, not a signal issue).

Probably the result of AT&T giving tower priority to post-paid customers. I'm not refilling it again...just will use my TMo $30 plan. At least data is fast as hell and actually works without fiddling around.

According to HowardForums, ST pays AT&T for data and takes it out on the consumers because of it.

Also, ST and Net10 both use post-paid coverage and not pre-paid so if they were giving any type of priority, ST/N10 would most likely get it as well.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 8, 2013

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

Checking on this now.

Looks like they offer 2.5GB of data on the $45/mo plan now but nothing's updated. This is coming from HowardForums so I'm not sure how credible it is as there's no source.

ST FB support still claims no audio or video streaming of any kind. ST's TOS says no uninterrupted streaming. I guess this is different as someone on Howard Forums mentioned it?

The ST Facebook page is an absolute mess and I'd rather roam XDA for answers to anything though...

According to HowardForums, ST pays AT&T for data and takes it out on the consumers because of it.

Also, ST and Net10 both use post-paid coverage and not pre-paid so if they were giving any type of priority, ST/N10 would most likely get it as well.

They might get postpaid coverage but they don't have postpaid apns.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Jensen posted:

They might get postpaid coverage but they don't have postpaid apns.

While that's true, it's still better than Sprint, it's MVNOs, and anything that uses it's towers so...yeah. :v:

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

hotsauce posted:

Gfs ST (at&t) data is slow as poo poo the last couple days. It feels like it's throttled but shouldn't be after only a few days of heavy maps use. Just started 2 days ago, hope it's not a sign of things to come.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

While that's true, it's still better than Sprint, it's MVNOs, and anything that uses it's towers so...yeah. :v:

Not in the small handful of intersections across the country rocking the NV LTE.

Then it's "at least as good as Sprint." :smug:

There's a reason why the Sprint logo looks like a fountain of piss.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Not in the small handful of intersections across the country rocking the NV LTE.

Then it's "at least as good as Sprint." :smug:

There's a reason why the Sprint logo looks like a fountain of piss.

Because their service dries up faster than pissing on Arizona asphalt?

Just wait until more sprint customers get on LTE, and then it'll only be slightly better than the abysmal "3g" they offer now.

gently caress sprint.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013
Are there any plans that beat the T-Mobile $30/mo 100minutes/unlimited text/unlimited data?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Safe and Secure! posted:

Are there any plans that beat the T-Mobile $30/mo 100minutes/unlimited text/unlimited data?

If you don't need more minutes and have Tmobile coverage? Not really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Is there a reason now that ST is back, that someone should go with Net10 instead of ST?

• Locked thread