Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
It happened again...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'm trying to parse how that accident happened. Was the Vette going through the intersection and got hit by the... Towncar? so hard it got shoved past the crosswalk?

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Fucknag posted:

I'm trying to parse how that accident happened. Was the Vette going through the intersection and got hit by the... Towncar? so hard it got shoved past the crosswalk?

It's pretty possible. Depending upon the Towncar's speed and considering it's raining pretty well that sounds like the likely scenario.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

It's just the Vette's door doesn't look particularly pushed in to have been hit that hard. I know, plastic car and all, it just looks weird.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Well I guess that makes the first second 2014 to make it to the junkyard before they're even released.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Fucknag posted:

It's just the Vette's door doesn't look particularly pushed in to have been hit that hard. I know, plastic car and all, it just looks weird.

The Towncar didn't hit it very hard, the hood damage is all cosmetic. Based on my own Panther experience, I would be surprised if the radiator was even damaged. There's a ton of empty space in the front.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Splizwarf posted:

The Towncar didn't hit it very hard, the hood damage is all cosmetic. Based on my own Panther experience, I would be surprised if the radiator was even damaged. There's a ton of empty space in the front.

Hard enough to push it across at least one lane of traffic and into the crosswalk.

Edit: Actually it looks like 2 lanes plus a divided median.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It seems all that voodoo they had to do to make the C7 so good is coming home to roost. The C7 is cursed.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Technically it hasn't failed yet.

This came out when I dropped my rally car skidplate today.

I also put it back in, no fucks given. I'll fab better attachment means this fall.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Godholio posted:

Hard enough to push it across at least one lane of traffic and into the crosswalk.

Edit: Actually it looks like 2 lanes plus a divided median.

Way less, it's just an average single-lane each way street, and didn't even cross an entire lane of traffic. Here's the breakdown from the guy who shot this photo:

Robert Wantin posted:

The impact had changed their orientation. The Lincoln in my picture is facing WEST (I was in that turn lane on the other side). The Lincoln WAS heading South (or left to right in the pic). The Vette was effectively facing the same direction as it currently is, turning left (or going West). Since I was facing the intersection directly, I could not see the lights (that, and my attention was on the new Vette, since I like it). I just saw the Vette turn (turn seemed a bit slow) and the Lincoln bearing down on it in a hurry. It may have easily been a beat the yellow situation.

Very difficult to say who was at fault other than it was one of those situations where someone should have stopped and/or someone should not have gone. Incidentally, the Lincoln driver appeared to be young, and the first thing he did was check on the Vette driver.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
I know it shouldn't affect me, because... well I have no connection to the event and there is no way I could have ever driven that exact car.. but it does make me sad to see that car destroyed. So many cars on the road today are just a version of the Toyota Yaris with different amounts of stereo bits and leather. It's sad to see a car with some care and soul put into it's design and construction treated so carelessly.

I can't afford no drat Corvette and other people are just tearing them up! I have no justice! Maybey I'll buy one 15 years from now and talk about how cool they were when they were new.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
It is chunks of metal and plastic bolted together dude. No need to have a crisis over it.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

FatCow posted:

It is chunks of metal and plastic bolted together dude. No need to have a crisis over it.

And it's not like it's an exclusive limited-edition run or some other rare car. It's more than likely a base C7; which, if you're anywhere in America, I can guarantee you'll see more than your fair share soon :) Besides, after everything is done and production units are made, that car was headed to be scrapped anyways.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Personally I'd get way more upset about something with history getting busted up rather than a brand new one of millions vehicle that nobody's had a chance to get attached to yet.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Citycop posted:

I know it shouldn't affect me, because... well I have no connection to the event and there is no way I could have ever driven that exact car.. but it does make me sad to see that car destroyed. So many cars on the road today are just a version of the Toyota Yaris with different amounts of stereo bits and leather. It's sad to see a car with some care and soul put into it's design and construction treated so carelessly.

Naw man it's cool, I'm sad to see that Town Car banged up too.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
So if the Lincoln driver is found at fault, how are they going to work out the insurance payout for a car model that hasn't been released yet?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

cursedshitbox posted:

I decided to pull the head off the 1.6 diesel. I was gonna replace the headgasket with a MLS one from a tdi.

:suicide:

Gonna cancel the order on the adapter plate.

Man, that blows. Time to bore/stroke it?

Slow is Fast posted:

I also put it back in, no fucks given. I'll fab better attachment means this fall.
Don't throw that out, that's one of those special misalignment bolts for when you drill the hole in the thing you're mounting in the wrong loving place.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Slow is Fast posted:

That's one of the most useful bolt I've ever seen. I actually need one of those. Are you willing to trade for 5 straights?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Das Volk posted:

Aircraft design has a lot of idiot-proofing, that's for sure.

If you saw the people putting them together you'd know why :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

xp67 posted:

So if the Lincoln driver is found at fault, how are they going to work out the insurance payout for a car model that hasn't been released yet?

Michigan is a no-fault state.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

xp67 posted:

GM almost certainly is self-insured on that car and doesn't even care who's at fault.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Splizwarf posted:

Way less, it's just an average single-lane each way street, and didn't even cross an entire lane of traffic. Here's the breakdown from the guy who shot this photo:

Ah, ok. I was thinking it was a straight shot, but if they swung around (a perfect 90*) that makes sense.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
So at my work we use one of these little guys to haul smaller-than-forklift loads

They can handle up to 1000lbs according to the info plate, pretty awesome little things. That being said, ours started handling funny, and well, I'm glad we checked out why:

That's cracked all the way through on both sides. It could have ended really badly. We've had three carts like this before (one still is running) that are much older and have seen more abuse and none have failed this way. It's pretty horrifying.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Phanatic posted:

GM almost certainly is self-insured on that car and doesn't even care who's at fault.

Yeah, I would think that's actually a lucky car to hit. No way it's worth GM's time to pursue that.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Deceptor101 posted:

So at my work we use one of these little guys to haul smaller-than-forklift loads

They can handle up to 1000lbs according to the info plate, pretty awesome little things. That being said, ours started handling funny, and well, I'm glad we checked out why:

That's cracked all the way through on both sides. It could have ended really badly. We've had three carts like this before (one still is running) that are much older and have seen more abuse and none have failed this way. It's pretty horrifying.

We had one of these where I used to work. The throttle pot was broken when I was an intern there. Making runs for steel, it would pop a wheelie every time you touched the pedal. That made it exciting (quite dangerous) to drive through the factory. Especially when it had metal on it.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

Deceptor101 posted:

The front tire is a bit bald.

I worked at a plumbing warehouse that had a bunch of these around, and for a while all of them were older models. They were durable, hilarious in the snow, could pull a drift in there was moisture on the ground, and wheelies were not at all uncommon. They were called pack-mules? Ours had a ladder that doubled as the rest, and were on many occasions well overloaded. We abused the crap out of those things.

stone soup fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 6, 2013

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Blew about 2 gallons or so of fresh 50/50 DexCool all over a stretch of my morning commute and nearly overheated shortly thereafter:

That one plastic "T" adapter I had to reuse after realizing I didn't have the correct replacement on hand at the time :doh:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

jammyozzy posted:

This looks more like something they'd dig out of the ground in Ypres than a car. :stare:

I have no poo poo seen parts of a ship that haven't been operational or refurbished since the end of World War Two in better condition than this.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

That can't be good.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Delivery McGee posted:

That can't be good.

~justjaguarthings~

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Delivery McGee posted:

That can't be good.

Well it was built to fight Ferrari and Lambo, I guess we see where they took their inspiration from :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Delivery McGee posted:

That can't be good.

You're right, it's awesome.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

It's from that "Tax the Rich" guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2YBEJvO8lo

and yeah it owns

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

Delivery McGee posted:

That can't be good.

What, you've never burnt out over a puddle of gasoline before? :colbert:

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
Hooray for catastrophic transmission mount failure!

Tore the left cv axle clear out, but not much else damage wise.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

This ignition module was a grand total of 2 weeks old. I must have had a small stroke or something because I replaced the stock 140k mile distributor with one from NAPA. This module is supposed to be slathered in thermal grease. Well, it's no justification but the stock one was literally falling apart and I got the NAPA one for half price. Just say no to NAPA kids.

edit; me words good.

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 7, 2013

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

:stare: :ohdear: I, uh, I'm gonna go get a flashlight and check mine right now.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Fucknag posted:

Well it was built to fight Ferrari and Lambo, I guess we see where they took their inspiration from :v:

And we fight fire with what gentlemen?

Still my favorite supercar, though I'm spoiled by having seen the v12 version in the heritage motor museum.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

I purchased an emote for just such an occasion: :jebstare:

Also, remember that cars are just a bunch of bolts, nothing more. I was told this a long time ago by some type of master mechanic when I was younger, and it has helped me whenever I get into a funk when I'm fixing a car (or motorcycle). In the end, they are just bolts in a [not always] specific order, with parts inbetween. Cars are a bolt sandwich. Anyone can make a sandwich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

I need to check my wifes tonight! I know a mount is going out due to the way it shakes on shut down but now I need to find out how bad it is...