Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

RandallODim posted:

And, in one panel, the whole alignment debate w/r/t Durkon is solved forever so we never ever have to talk about it again.

On one hand, I like how Burlew resolved it without any bullshit.

On the other hand, I sort of wish the circumstances of Durkon's freedom had been different so he could rejoin the party in a more dramatic fashion, perhaps in a way that brought a little more suspense. On the other other hand, it's pretty funny to have such a potentially big conflict resolved so quickly. I suppose we'll see more of the new Durkon soon, and I'll be interested to see where Burlew takes his character now. He's always had a good take on what "evil" is (and more importantly, isn't) so I have faith that he'll make Durkon's transformation meaningful at the very least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

RandallODim posted:

And, in one panel, the whole alignment debate w/r/t Durkon is solved forever so we never ever have to talk about it again.

I wouldn't say that. But the boring part of the debate has been tidily disposed of. I like the way Rich does alignment stuff, so I'd guess there are lots of interesting places he could take Durkula.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Wouldn't channeling positive energy hurt Durkon?

e: I choose to believe that this is Demonic for "See ya, shitlords"

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
He's also still got a Thor's Might in stock, if that'll still work.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

RandallODim posted:

Is it, though? Not from a spergin' alignment PoV, but Malack did go out of is way to talk about how he's not the same lizardman cleric that got bitten (which is a pretty drat big Chekov's Gun to remain unfired), and I don't recall Durkon being quite so :black101: before. There's going to be a plotline involving Durkon's temptation to slide to the "dark side", the only question is which way he's going to end up going.

Not to mention that whole "doom to your homeland" thing, which I can foresee as being a direct "Durkon goes bad and fucks poo poo up", or an indirect "Durkon returns home as a vampiric cleric and splits his country in half via civil war just by existing".

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Hmmm Vampire durkon could be a monkey wrench in the grand scheme of the 3 arch demons. Their whole plan seems to revolve around taking V out of the game and weakening the party at critical moments, but now the team as a whole is stronger. They also planned On puppeting the linear guild who is now a man short. That and some humility from V and having him/her telling the party about the deal could derail their plan beyond repair.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Is have to haf a regular durkon accent thing or is does he actually have a stereotypical eastern European accent on top of his weird Scottish one now. I really hope so.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Shwqa posted:

Hmmm Vampire durkon could be a monkey wrench in the grand scheme of the 3 arch demons. Their whole plan seems to revolve around taking V out of the game and weakening the party at critical moments, but now the team as a whole is stronger. They also planned On puppeting the linear guild who is now a man short. That and some humility from V and having him/her telling the party about the deal could derail their plan beyond repair.

Given how elegantly they've managed things so far, I wouldn't leap to any conclusions about what they can and can't repair. The fiends are in it to the end, IMO.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

You can tell he's evil now because he made the >:D face.

edit: I wonder how the order will react to seeing vampire Durkon over an incapacitated Roy.

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!
That is some really crappy dialogue toward the end, reminds me of the MitD strip just before. Maybe Rich should go back to updating once a fortnight to smooth these over better.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ursine Asylum posted:

Not to mention that whole "doom to your homeland" thing, which I can foresee as being a direct "Durkon goes bad and fucks poo poo up", or an indirect "Durkon returns home as a vampiric cleric and splits his country in half via civil war just by existing".

Didn't the prophecy say that he'd bring Death and Destruction to his homeland? Maybe those are his new Domains.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Pope Guilty posted:

Wouldn't channeling positive energy hurt Durkon?

e: I choose to believe that this is Demonic for "See ya, shitlords"

According to some of the translator types over on GitP...ie, the people you went to for Crypto-Haley translations...the font is Miskatonc and the message is: "If the boss is dead, I'm punching out early." Which fits.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I actually laughed out loud on the last panel. Funny stuff.

I hope Z will be resurrected and stay with Nale. They have a good dynamic, and I think it'd be more interesting than Nale recruiting yet another disposable wizard villain.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

ZearothK posted:

Didn't the prophecy say that he'd bring Death and Destruction to his homeland? Maybe those are his new Domains.

quote:

However, the true reason for the "mission" was that the priest of Odin had arrived at the temple that morning with a prophecy that, when Durkon next returned home, he would bring death and destruction upon his people.

I guess I could see "upon" if he got converts? I don't know. I'm probably off-base on what exactly "death and destruction" will entail-- for all I know, it could be that he needs some sort of self-made überbräu to get himself drunk in his new form, and when he brings it back to his homeland it knocks everyone into perpetual drunkenness and causes society to collapse.

I'm still betting on the temptation to alignment-slide being a thing before then, though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's still Durkon-ish, but it's not the Durkon that'll go to an afterlife. I wonder what he'll think of Roy taking VampDurkon back.

Also, there is no way next time he gets access to someone else who can res that Roy won't be tempted as hell to take VampDurkon down and resurrect him.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

run DNC posted:

Is have to haf a regular durkon accent thing or is does he actually have a stereotypical eastern European accent on top of his weird Scottish one now. I really hope so.

Let's be honest, they're both pretty much interchangeable.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I also haf potions. :drac:

They might talk things out more later when they aren't being attacked by a giant elemental, but for now no more evil than Belkar is good enough.

Even if the party is cool with it, having Durkon around could hurt them socially. Belkar was evil, but most people won't expect a halfling to be evil. Everyone expects a Vampire (and his companions) to be evil. It is going to be basically impossible to work with the paladins with Durkon around. Or nearly anyone else who can easily detect that Durkon is undead.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I've interpreted 'bring death and destruction' as being the domains Durkon will now have as a cleric of Hel, and of course what can a cleric do after the adventure is over besides start a church?
Death doesn't have to be Evil, after all.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

All I know is that his bat form better keep the beard.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

VanSandman posted:

I've interpreted 'bring death and destruction' as being the domains Durkon will now have as a cleric of Hel, and of course what can a cleric do after the adventure is over besides start a church?
Death doesn't have to be Evil, after all.

Death doesn't have to be, but vampires (in D&D, at least) unequivocally are.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

sebmojo posted:

I wouldn't say that. But the boring part of the debate has been tidily disposed of. I like the way Rich does alignment stuff, so I'd guess there are lots of interesting places he could take Durkula.

Yeah, that's a better way to put it. Everyone's brought up good points about how it'll probably come up again, but the question of "Is Durkon evil?" and "Will he work with The Order?" getting resolved in all of four lines just made me very happy. As did his desire to keep helping immediately being undermined by his new powers. There's at least some of the old Durkon in there. :unsmith:

DrakePegasus posted:

All I know is that his bat form better keep the beard.

This needs to happen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To some degree I think Roy is also going to be more willing than most people to accept "sure, I'm evil but not that evil" because the dude is his best friend and Roy would much rather believe that his pal is back with a new diet than to instantly drive a stake through his heart.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one
This could be interesting if Durkon starts engaging in shittier and shittier behavior, and Roy keeps trying to justify it because it's his best friend, until it comes to a head down the road.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

The Rooster posted:

This could be interesting if Durkon starts engaging in shittier and shittier behavior, and Roy keeps trying to justify it because it's his best friend, until it comes to a head down the road.
Cue the endless speculation about how this will tie into Belkar's final fate. :v:

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

So Nale lost the entire team, go Nale!.

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

Uranium Phoenix posted:

On one hand, I like how Burlew resolved it without any bullshit.

Actually nothing has been resolved. Aside from killing his opponents rather incapacitating them, everything we're assuming on his motives (i.e., still a friend to Roy, no worse than Belkar, wants to save the world, etc.) we only have Durkon's word to go on, and he's not exactly the most trustworthy source now. Maybe everything is as it appears to be, or maybe he thinks he gets to travel a bit with five humanoid snacks for the road.

flyingkiwi posted:

That is some really crappy dialogue toward the end, reminds me of the MitD strip just before. Maybe Rich should go back to updating once a fortnight to smooth these over better.

Feel free to show us how you'd do better. Okay, the MitD might have sounded a little forced if at least was still in line with the character growth. But you're complaining here on first reactions in four panels. At least wait until the next strip for a genuine denouement before you start declaring the comic ruined.

Geshtal fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Aug 6, 2013

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

mmkay posted:

So Nale lost the entire team, go Nale!.

Well at least it's not a TPK!

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

To some degree I think Roy is also going to be more willing than most people to accept "sure, I'm evil but not that evil" because the dude is his best friend and Roy would much rather believe that his pal is back with a new diet than to instantly drive a stake through his heart.

I think it's been driven home that not only does "evil" not mean "moustache-twiddling destroy-the-world", but "evil" can cut towards neutral or even good over time-- almost like people have personalities and motivations beyond "kill everyone" :v:

I could see the extent of Durkon's evil being selfishly hellbent towards getting revenge on Nale and possibly Tarquin, since Malack's out of his reach now.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Geshtal posted:

Actually nothing has been resolved. Aside from killing his opponents rather incapacitating them, everything we're assuming on his motives (i.e., still a friend to Roy, no worse than Belkar, wants to save the world, etc.) we only have Durkon's word to go on, and he's not exactly the most trustworthy source now. Maybe everything is as it appears to be, or maybe he thinks he gets to travel a bit with five humanoid snacks for the road.

I highly doubt Durkon's motives are sinister with regards to the Order. If he wanted to eliminate the OotS, this is the perfect opportunity to do it right here. He could have allied with Nale, or even did what he did but not dismiss the fiend and just let the elder earth elemental that's about to wipe the party do its thing. If he's out for blood, there's easier targets than high level adventurers. At the same time, if he's looking to vampirize and control the rest of the party, now is also the time to do it--when it would take about 1-2 rounds to kill and convert Roy, Haley, and Belkar and none of them are in a position to fight back or escape.

Durkula's enough the same person that he isn't going to betray the order, and especially not Roy. At the same time you're right that the situation isn't fully resolved (but at least the "Durkon's back with the order" part is).

Uranium Phoenix fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 6, 2013

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Ursine Asylum posted:

I could see the extent of Durkon's evil being selfishly hellbent towards getting revenge on Nale and possibly Tarquin, since Malack's out of his reach now.
We've seen him be insulting, cruel, and have absolutely no problem with killing an already beaten foe. I imagine it'll stay along those lines.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'm guessing Durkon's evil will mostly manifest in ruthlessness to opposition as well as a vindictive, vengeful streak against the people who exiled him from his home.

I don't recall, have we ruled out the possibility that Belkar will die here then be raised as a vampire by Durkon? That might allow the whole original party to continue on to the last gate together.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Ursine Asylum posted:

I think it's been driven home that not only does "evil" not mean "moustache-twiddling destroy-the-world", but "evil" can cut towards neutral or even good over time-- almost like people have personalities and motivations beyond "kill everyone" :v:

As a corollary to this, a lot of the Evil characters that we've been have been among the most reasonable / pragmatic forces in the OotSverse. Hell, you could probably convince Sabine to leave the conflict entirely if she got to bring Nale with her.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Colonel Cool posted:

Well at least it's not a TPK!

Yet.

EDIT:

Re: Evil Durkula

Look at the panel that he snuffs Z in. Look at the glee in his face. LE Durkon is a sadist who enjoys killing people in the way that Belkar and Xykon do. For now he'll be restricting that to enemies, but over time, especially as the "I need to drink from people to keep moving" his respect for life will diminish until, if he survives that long, he'll be as much of a monster as Malack was. Calm, polite, respectful....but planning the extermination of thousands.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Aug 6, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ursine Asylum posted:

I think the thing that is lingering here is that Durkon was sent away under false pretenses and he still doesn't know that (or that he was welcomed back.) If Vampire Durkon is spiteful or angry or seeking revenge, it's probably not gonna be good news once he finally does go home. (Especially if the prophecy comes true literally.)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dolash posted:

I'm guessing Durkon's evil will mostly manifest in ruthlessness to opposition as well as a vindictive, vengeful streak against the people who exiled him from his home.

That last is such a good point.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Dolash posted:

I don't recall, have we ruled out the possibility that Belkar will die here then be raised as a vampire by Durkon? That might allow the whole original party to continue on to the last gate together.

I'm still holding out that Belkar will kill the Snarl and be skyrocketed to godhood(sexy and shoeless).

Otherwise I can see Durkon feeding on Belkar each day and then restoring all the stat drain with a restoration spell. I don't think he's going to turn Belkar (2 vamps in the party would be a bit overkill).

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I think Durkon returns to his homeland as a vampire and then may end himself after going to the temple of thor.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I enjoy new Durkon and I enjoy Nale's continued inability to not gently caress up in the big picture, decent short term success notwithstanding. Wonder if the whole Linear Guild idea is done now, either Tarquin takes the reins after his son has lost half the (effective) team or they have to get another wizard.

e: O-Chul and Lien are not going to like this.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Aug 6, 2013

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I anticipate a disagreement between Roy and Durkon about whether to try to have the vampirism cured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

jng2058 posted:

Yet.

EDIT:

Re: Evil Durkula

Look at the panel that he snuffs Z in. Look at the glee in his face. LE Durkon is a sadist who enjoys killing people in the way that Belkar and Xykon do. For now he'll be restricting that to enemies, but over time, especially as the "I need to drink from people to keep moving" his respect for life will diminish until, if he survives that long, he'll be as much of a monster as Malack was. Calm, polite, respectful....but planning the extermination of thousands.

Truly, ">:D" is the face of sheer evil.

At any rate, whatever makes Durkon tick now seems to be too influenced by Durkon's original personality, so I can see him still being an asset to the party, friction with the rest of the world notwithstanding.