Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
movax
Aug 30, 2008

The OP on this guy has some broken images & such. anyone up for creating a refresh for this thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm looking for a specific keyboard for work - preferably white, mechanical, no number pad. Anything out there like this and of decent quality, like the Das Keyboards?

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
Its expensive but the happy hacking keyboard is dreamy

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=pfu_keyboards,hhkbpro2

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Would any gracious goon with a cherry switch sampler pack be willing to let a goon test it out if I paid for shipping?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah that is certainly expensive. Any other options?

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Gyshall posted:

I'm looking for a specific keyboard for work - preferably white, mechanical, no number pad. Anything out there like this and of decent quality, like the Das Keyboards?

White isn't a very popular color for keyboards right now. You could look at the Keycool keyboards or the Matias Mini Tactile Pro.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Filco has white keyboards, if you're willing to pay that bit of a price premium for the brand: http://www.amazon.com/Filco-Majestouch-2-Tenkeyless-Keyboard-FKBN87ML/dp/B005JC4Q4U

Strangely, I don't see a non-ninja one on Amazon, if you don't like the side labels. They might just be sold out.

Edit: Whoops, have a non-mobile link instead

404notfound fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 5, 2013

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Etrips posted:

Would any gracious goon with a cherry switch sampler pack be willing to let a goon test it out if I paid for shipping?

I have one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/181185570858

Do you want one of those or do you need the other switch types too? I can send you mine, though depending on the shipping cost it might not be much cheaper than buying one for yourself.

It's probably best I get rid of mine anyway because I just keep it on my desk and click it constantly and I'm sure it's very annoying to everyone else around me.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I have one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/181185570858

Do you want one of those or do you need the other switch types too? I can send you mine, though depending on the shipping cost it might not be much cheaper than buying one for yourself.

It's probably best I get rid of mine anyway because I just keep it on my desk and click it constantly and I'm sure it's very annoying to everyone else around me.

I suppose that would work. Just trying to get an idea on what the difference is between switches. You should be able to use a little padded envelope and ship it off at the post office for a few bucks.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Etrips posted:

I suppose that would work. Just trying to get an idea on what the difference is between switches. You should be able to use a little padded envelope and ship it off at the post office for a few bucks.

Give me your zip code and I'll find out how much it would be.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Give me your zip code and I'll find out how much it would be.

Shot you a PM good sir.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Is every wireless keyboard a piece of poo poo, or am I unlucky?

I've used the Logitech G510 and the K750 and they are the worst computer peripherals I have ever used. No matter where I position my K750, even with a clear line of sight and short distance to the wireless dongle, the latency is so bad that it feels like I'm playing an old arcade machine. The wireless signal is constantly fading in and out and disrupting whatever I'm trying to do. The G510 had similar latency problems, but at least it has replaceable batteries. The K750 won't charge in a sunny room unless I turn on all the lights and prop it up to face the sun. This in the middle of summer, and I can't imagine how bad it gets in winter. The K750 is a piece of poo poo, I'm returning it or chucking it into a fireplace tomorrow, and I recommend anyone looking at a solar-powered keyboard buys some paper and crayons instead.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Chamale posted:

I've used the Logitech G510 and the K750 and they are the worst computer peripherals I have ever used. No matter where I position my K750, even with a clear line of sight and short distance to the wireless dongle, the latency is so bad that it feels like I'm playing an old arcade machine. The wireless signal is constantly fading in and out and disrupting whatever I'm trying to do. The G510 had similar latency problems, but at least it has replaceable batteries. The K750 won't charge in a sunny room unless I turn on all the lights and prop it up to face the sun. This in the middle of summer, and I can't imagine how bad it gets in winter. The K750 is a piece of poo poo, I'm returning it or chucking it into a fireplace tomorrow, and I recommend anyone looking at a solar-powered keyboard buys some paper and crayons instead.

The wireless keyboard for my iPad (k760) works great. Has never not been charged. There's not latency with my iPad, either. But there's not a lot of bluetooth interference between the two.

I'm typing this on a Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 3000 v2.0 and while it's a terrible rubberdome keyboard, the wireless connector has been pretty stable and only drops a few keys over the course of the week.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Protocol7 posted:

The wireless keyboard for my iPad (k760) works great. Has never not been charged. There's not latency with my iPad, either. But there's not a lot of bluetooth interference between the two.

I'm typing this on a Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 3000 v2.0 and while it's a terrible rubberdome keyboard, the wireless connector has been pretty stable and only drops a few keys over the course of the week.

That sounds a lot better than mine, but I'm surprised that you're so blasé about a few dropped keys a week. I find it very annoying when that happens and it would be like a pair of shoes that cause me to trip a few times a week. I'm probably going to go back to a wired keyboard.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Chamale posted:

That sounds a lot better than mine, but I'm surprised that you're so blasé about a few dropped keys a week. I find it very annoying when that happens and it would be like a pair of shoes that cause me to trip a few times a week. I'm probably going to go back to a wired keyboard.

A few is like one or two a day. It's not a huge deal for me especially since it's an office environment with a lot of other keyboards fighting each other. I also want to go to wired (it'd be awesome to have a blank mechanical for work) but I can't expense it or justify the personal expense.

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation
Impulsively picked up a Corsair K70 after reading Agreed's gushing over mechanical keyboards. The left shift key seems to have different action in that it 'catches' halfway through the press downward. Does it have a different switch or something? Waiiit I can just pry it off to check, right?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Could be a stabilizer, longer keys have them. Yeah I'd pop it off and on and see if that helps.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.
So, I figured I'd come post an "instant review" for those still looking for a keyboard.

My Corsair K70 just arrived, I've had about an hour with it. I came from a non-mechanical with low profile keycaps so it's very different.

I quite like it already, though. It's a lot heavier than I expected it to, so if your keyboard is in different positions for different games/reasons, it can have trouble sliding sometimes (at least for me so far.) The key action is nice, but it really is super light. I'll go to put my fingers on homerow to start typing, and accidentally enter a couple of keystrokes. I'm also double tapping keys a lot, and misclicking other keys trying to travel over the top of them, but that's all in the "getting used to it" phase. I haven't been able to jump into a game yet, but just typing in general use it seems very nice.

With only an hour or so of use so far, I would already recommend it for anyone else in this thread looking to go Mechanical.

BiRD BoY
Aug 18, 2003

Have a Nice Fright!

Coleman posted:

So, I figured I'd come post an "instant review" for those still looking for a keyboard.

My Corsair K70 just arrived, I've had about an hour with it. I came from a non-mechanical with low profile keycaps so it's very different.

I quite like it already, though. It's a lot heavier than I expected it to, so if your keyboard is in different positions for different games/reasons, it can have trouble sliding sometimes (at least for me so far.) The key action is nice, but it really is super light. I'll go to put my fingers on homerow to start typing, and accidentally enter a couple of keystrokes. I'm also double tapping keys a lot, and misclicking other keys trying to travel over the top of them, but that's all in the "getting used to it" phase. I haven't been able to jump into a game yet, but just typing in general use it seems very nice.

With only an hour or so of use so far, I would already recommend it for anyone else in this thread looking to go Mechanical.

I've gone from K60 to K70, because I was insanely jealous of the illumination of the K90 when that gen came out, but prefer the RPG form factor. I love these drat things. I'm much better at typing on these boards now, but I'm still not nearly as good on them as I am with the laptop I'm typing this on. Takes time.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

BiRD BoY posted:

I've gone from K60 to K70, because I was insanely jealous of the illumination of the K90 when that gen came out, but prefer the RPG form factor. I love these drat things. I'm much better at typing on these boards now, but I'm still not nearly as good on them as I am with the laptop I'm typing this on. Takes time.
Yeah, I had been playing a typing race game the last few days, and was consistently in the 120-130 range. I took one after I plugged this in, and was at 98. It's gonna take some serious getting used to! Double tapping keys a LOT.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Fuuuuuck I thought I was doing alright with my 90wpm :negative:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah I average like 85 on pretty much any board and I thought I was doing pretty well. Some people just have fast fingers, I guess. On the other hand it doesn't take me much time to adjust to a new board, so v :) v

edit: Sounds like a challenge has been issued!

Dogen fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 6, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well it depends where you get your number from. A game won't be a realistic speed.

I don't type 120 , but I know I type faster than Coleman.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Well it depends where you get your number from. A game won't be a realistic speed.
I'm guessing he's talking about typeracer.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
As long as you aren't hunting & pecking keys like Grandma I think you're fine.

Of course today my keyboard is dropping keys like a bastard for no apparent reason. After I complimented it earlier and everything! :argh:

Coleman
May 5, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

I don't type 120 , but I know I type faster than Coleman.
Name your site, give me a few days to practice with this keyboard, and I guarantee I'm faster.

And yeah, I was talking about typeracer just because it was the only one I had saved at the moment. I can hit a consistent 110-130 on most typing tests I've taken. The worst part is, I don't even type "properly", I touch type, but I don't really use my pinkies other than shift/enter and stuff like that. And I don't even shift on the right side. I'm strange. I have a feeling I'll be faster typing on this one once I'm more used to it.

Edit: she is right, though. Typeracer is not the best measure for this, I just got a 120, but it still felt slow to me.

Coleman fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 6, 2013

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
I just google 'wpm test' and do the first result. Some of the passages on that site are written so weirdly though and it comes out a lot slower. I've been applying for typists jobs, almost all of them are 40-60wpm and I'm 90+. I've done dozens but haven't heard anything back from any of them, probably because there is some fucker who types 120wpm applying for the same ones.

I'm definitely much faster on my CM Storm with Browns and it's way more comfortable and feels easier to type on than the Logitech Illuminated I had before and definitely more so than the piece of poo poo rubber dome I use at the place I volunteer at.

If I got another mechanical I'd probably get another one with Browns, probably the Filco Ninja

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 6, 2013

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Chamale posted:

I'm wondering about this myself. I wish they had a cartridge style battery replacer one with macros. I want a wireless keyboard for my living room gaming on a lap desk that's pretty good.

deadlinguo
Nov 17, 2004
when the revolution comes
Based on the many recommendations in this thread, I just bought a CM Storm Rapid tenkeyless with Browns. Love this keyboard and it's already starting to change my typing. Never thought typing could feel so comfortable. And tenkeyless is the poo poo, it's so much better having the mouse closer. Never thought I'd be willing to pay so much for a keyboard but it's totally worth it. Thanks guys!

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I'm wondering about this myself. I wish they had a cartridge style battery replacer one with macros. I want a wireless keyboard for my living room gaming on a lap desk that's pretty good.

I have the logitech k800 wireless for doing couch gaming with and it works awesome. Maybe look into that?

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Ramadu posted:

I have the logitech k800 wireless for doing couch gaming with and it works awesome. Maybe look into that?

so it works pretty good? I was debating about this due to the lighting seems like excess draining.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I just upgraded from a piece of poo poo Logitech Mk550 to a Corsair K95. This is like night and day.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Ornamented Death posted:

I just upgraded from a piece of poo poo Logitech Mk550 to a Corsair K95. This is like night and day.

Especially on the highest brightness setting. Holy cow. :v:

If you're concerned at all about the key feel, it gets way less chalky after a couple weeks of use. Finger oils will do what they do. If you should happen to have a dim key where it shouldn't be (over the LED, in other words; all the number keys and other two-character keys are dimmer on the number than the symbol because the LED is on one side of the switch, obviously), check underneath for paint over-spray. It's easy to remove, just scrape it off with a knife and you'll be back to correct light in no time. I imagine it is a very low margin problem, but my macro G6 was dimmer than my other keys and it turned out it was because there was black paint on the back of it. Oops.

In other news Corsair has officially shipped the RMA back - I eagerly await seeing if it's a K60, K70, refurb or new... We'll find out!

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
After being a four finger hybrid touch pecker for nearly my whole life I'm now trying to learn to type properly.

I'm currently using the exercises here and they seem quite well thought out.

It seems like the hardest part of it all is trying to unlearn what I already do without thinking. Has anyone else experienced this?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

TipsyMcStagger posted:

so it works pretty good? I was debating about this due to the lighting seems like excess draining.

The keyboard lasts for a week or so of pretty regular gaming and work use. It also charges super fast and you can turn the lighting off. I've been nothing but pleased with it. Well except it doesn't have the nkey rollover, the thing that allows for more than 3 simultaneous buttons. But I don't know if there are any wireless keyboards that do that.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Ron Burgundy posted:

After being a four finger hybrid touch pecker for nearly my whole life I'm now trying to learn to type properly.

It seems like the hardest part of it all is trying to unlearn what I already do without thinking. Has anyone else experienced this?

This is the case for everyone when trying to change a motion; just take it slow and practice.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Ron Burgundy posted:

Is that where you use everything but the pinkies to write? Cause that's how I am doing it since forever. I tried doing it properly but I was developing pains in my wrists from writing like that after an hour or so.

Been using keyboards for, uh 25 years now and I haven't had the shadow of repetitive strain injuries so atleast it seems to work well on that score.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Anyone have a recommendation (or have even heard of) a Cherry MX Brown wired keyboard with downsteam USB ports / a USB hub that's not some gaudy "gamer" keyboard? In fact, I was hoping for a Cherry MX Brown version of a Happy Hacking KB Lite 2 but am coming up empty after looking for an hour or two.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

His Divine Shadow posted:

Is that where you use everything but the pinkies to write? Cause that's how I am doing it since forever. I tried doing it properly but I was developing pains in my wrists from writing like that after an hour or so.

Been using keyboards for, uh 25 years now and I haven't had the shadow of repetitive strain injuries so atleast it seems to work well on that score.
Yeah if that's what he's talking about, without using pinkies, I've been doing it as long as I've been typing, and as I've said, I type extremely quickly. (Even with not being fully adjusted to this new keyboard, I've started seeing 115s on tests I take.) And I've NEVER typed "properly".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

necrobobsledder posted:

Anyone have a recommendation (or have even heard of) a Cherry MX Brown wired keyboard with downsteam USB ports / a USB hub that's not some gaudy "gamer" keyboard? In fact, I was hoping for a Cherry MX Brown version of a Happy Hacking KB Lite 2 but am coming up empty after looking for an hour or two.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/wasd-v2-87-key-custom-mechanical-keyboard.html ?

• Locked thread