Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

jwh posted:

secondary addresses

:cmon: that ain't an ASA problem!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

abigserve posted:

:cmon: that ain't an ASA problem!

Maybe so, but it's still stupid!

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

I don't actually work in the industry yet, only just got my CCENT/studying for the CCNA, but is there a problem with having a Cisco-only shop?

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

Erkenntnis posted:

I don't actually work in the industry yet, only just got my CCENT/studying for the CCNA, but is there a problem with having a Cisco-only shop?

Cisco only cuts you out of a lot of gear that can be cheaper/better than similar Cisco gear.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Erkenntnis posted:

There are reasons why companies like Juniper, F5, Palo Alto, Riverbed, etc., exist, and it's often because Cisco's offering in those spaces is found to be lacking by the people that work with that equipment.

There are other more esoteric reasons, too, but that's generally what's going on.

Gap In The Tooth
Aug 16, 2004
Case in point: The Cisco SRP range of $500 non-IOS 'small business routers' are super dogshit for the price, can't push more than 40MB/sec down through PPPoE on our national GPON FTTH deployment. A $70 Microtik box gets line speed.

Good thing I got access to a stack of sub-$100 used 1841s to replace these shitboxes.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Erkenntnis posted:

Cisco is really good at what it does best. However once you get some experience, it's obvious that cisco isn't the best at everything.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

In this industry, as long as you aren't religious about "cisco-only" or "no cisco solutions ever!" you'll do fine (and probably a lot better than many others).

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Gap In The Tooth posted:

Case in point: The Cisco SRP range of $500 non-IOS 'small business routers' are super dogshit for the price, can't push more than 40MB/sec down through PPPoE on our national GPON FTTH deployment. A $70 Microtik box gets line speed.

Good thing I got access to a stack of sub-$100 used 1841s to replace these shitboxes.

Hate to break it to you, but the SRP500 series might be faster than the 1841 routers since 1841's are only rated for 75k packets per second or ~38mbps... and that's not counting NAT overhead.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
We are like 95% cisco at our SP - We have some arris CMTS's and a juniper MX960 in our caching server farm and it's only purpose is to negotiate better pricing with cisco apparently. Not that anyone is going to leave cisco because then our free lunch's are ruined.

workape
Jul 23, 2002

jwh posted:

Riverbed

Oh man, loving WAAS. I've got a hardon for Riverbed in the worst way. Getting 95%+ optimization on traffic and being able to stage VDI across the WAN? :fap:

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Erkenntnis posted:

Their ASA and wireless tech are dog poo poo.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Erkenntnis posted:

I'm a big believer in 'best tool for the job' and am generally wary of 'x-only' shops.

We use Cisco for routing and switching, Juniper for firewalls, Riverbed for WAN Accel and F5 for load balancing. Works for us.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Their ASA and wireless tech are dog poo poo.

I wouldn't call their wireless bad, it's just wildly overpriced, annoying to use, and offers nothing over their cheaper competitors.

I've had such a hard time convincing the federal manager here why ASAs are bullshit and why the Stonegates we purchased are vastly superior in every way, shape, and form. His main (and completely legitimate) concern is that some upper-middle manager will react to the first problem we have with them by asking "Well why aren't you using Cisco?"

psydude fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 6, 2013

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
We have 90k+ Cisco AP's and 180 8510/5508 WLC's deployed , I wouldn't say they're poo poo but they do have some bugs.

Sepist fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 6, 2013

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
90,000 APs? Is that for the entire DoD or something?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
No I work for a cable provider that has 90k AP's deployed - I would never work for the government :v:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Powercrazy posted:

90,000 APs? Is that for the entire DoD or something?

Of course not, the government approaches wireless the same way the Catholic Church approaches condoms.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Sepist posted:

No I work for a cable provider that has 90k AP's deployed - I would never work for the government :v:

Good man.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

psydude posted:

His main (and completely legitimate) concern is that some upper-middle manager will react to the first problem we have with them by asking "Well why aren't you using Cisco?"

That line of managerial theory has always bothered me.

Ford sold the most cars in the US in 2012, but that's a bad reason to buy a Focus when you need a WRX. Well, inasmuch as anyone needs a WRX. It's a car analogy.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
We use Cisco because of brand recognition. When we have equal bids on a contract and we have Cisco hardware included, and the other guys are planning on using iBoss, we usually get very good feedback.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

jwh posted:

That line of managerial theory has always bothered me.

Yeah all I can really do is watch and learn what not to do when I eventually get into a similar position. I've never been one to cower in fear of upper management, though.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

workape posted:

Oh man, loving WAAS. I've got a hardon for Riverbed in the worst way. Getting 95%+ optimization on traffic and being able to stage VDI across the WAN? :fap:
If I didn't have remote offices angrily calling when a Steelhead isn't working, I would think they were just passing traffic and making pretty graphs. Those things are magic and their claims are so outrageous they don't seem possible.

workape
Jul 23, 2002

bort posted:

If I didn't have remote offices angrily calling when a Steelhead isn't working, I would think they were just passing traffic and making pretty graphs. Those things are magic and their claims are so outrageous they don't seem possible.

Oh, they aren't completely without utter loving insanity. Encrypted exchange traffic? Forget about it. Even if you have the loving thing set up right it's god damned hit or miss on whether it is going to work or not.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

It depends. I conducted a fairly large Riverbed evaluation, and due to the nature of this particular home-grown application, the Riverbeds reduced WAN traffic by about 50% but the end-user experience was the same as without them.

We didn't understand how this could be, and to some extent I still don't, but that was the end user feedback. Consistently, and across a very large sample base.

I thought they were nice boxes, for whatever it's worth.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Riverbeds are really good at optimizing SMB traffic, which dramatically improves the user experience for remote sites using central windows file mounts.

Of course, the cost of two steelheads is really high when compared to the cost of a remote file system and disk so it's a tricky one.

psydude posted:

I wouldn't call their wireless bad, it's just wildly overpriced, annoying to use, and offers nothing over their cheaper competitors.

I've had such a hard time convincing the federal manager here why ASAs are bullshit and why the Stonegates we purchased are vastly superior in every way, shape, and form. His main (and completely legitimate) concern is that some upper-middle manager will react to the first problem we have with them by asking "Well why aren't you using Cisco?"

I'd like to throw in that we use another vendor that is leaps and bounds ahead of the Cisco wireless gear in terms of features and flexibility but we've run into a ton of bugs and annoyances due to, apparently, poor version control within the company leading to required upgrades breaking lots of stuff.

World z0r Z
May 26, 2013

skipdogg posted:

and am generally wary of 'x-only' shops.

I've known hiring managers who immediately pass on potential hirees who are single vendor engineers

World z0r Z
May 26, 2013

abigserve posted:

I'd like to throw in that we use another vendor that is leaps and bounds ahead of the Cisco wireless gear in terms of features and flexibility but we've run into a ton of bugs and annoyances due to, apparently, poor version control within the company leading to required upgrades breaking lots of stuff.

Trapeze?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

For sake of professionalism I'm not going to mention any specifics here, but if you want more details send me a PM.

World z0r Z
May 26, 2013

Just post it. Then post about your experiences with it.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Riverbed chat? I can dig that. My background is mostly with Citrix NetScaler appliances but at my current gig they are all Riverbed and so far I'm quite impressed. We have approximately 25 units deployed at branches and are seeing +50% data reduction:

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

World z0r Z posted:

I've known hiring managers who immediately pass on potential hirees who are single vendor engineers

I don't reject them, but I definitely don't prefer it to someone who has had to deal with multi-vendor environments. It's usually indicative of someone with a very narrow scope of knowledge more than anything else in my experience.

What is everyone using for OOB these days? I went to order a POTS line to our new POP and, yeah, it's going to take enough effort to get a POTS phone that it has me thinking about non-POTS/DSL OOB methods.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

FatCow posted:

I don't reject them, but I definitely don't prefer it to someone who has had to deal with multi-vendor environments. It's usually indicative of someone with a very narrow scope of knowledge more than anything else in my experience.

What is everyone using for OOB these days? I went to order a POTS line to our new POP and, yeah, it's going to take enough effort to get a POTS phone that it has me thinking about non-POTS/DSL OOB methods.

Cellular, DSL, colo provider's OOB network if available.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Cellular is the way to go, to my mind. Particularly if you're trying to divorce yourself from the facility infrastructure.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

What is the low density mixed 10gig/1gig aggregation platform du jour?

I haven't been shopping for switches in a while.

World z0r Z
May 26, 2013

If I had to choose something today I would choose EX4500 and EX4200 in mixed mode virtual chassis.

Gap In The Tooth
Aug 16, 2004
Is it possible to have a flapping multicast route? I'm having occasional troubles getting to 8.8.8.8 with one particular service provider, troubles which magically solve themselves after 10 minutes (and of course before any issued tickets can be looked at).

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Gap In The Tooth posted:

Is it possible to have a flapping multicast route? I'm having occasional troubles getting to 8.8.8.8 with one particular service provider, troubles which magically solve themselves after 10 minutes (and of course before any issued tickets can be looked at).

8.8.8.8 is anycast not multicast. I wouldn't trust Google's public DNS for anything business critical.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Could someone explain or link to something explaining IGMP vs. PIM and IGMP snooping re: multi cast TV over IP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Could someone explain or link to something explaining IGMP vs. PIM and IGMP snooping re: multi cast TV over IP?

IGMP is for hosts and adjacent routers to establish multicast group membership. PIM is what's going on between multicast routers to establish multicast routes through an IP network.

IGMP snooping is a switch function that prunes multicast traffic from ports that haven't joined the multicast group. This is because otherwise the switch would flood multicast traffic. With IGMP snooping the switch has to see an IGMP join message on a port before allowing multicast traffic for that group.

At least, that's always been my understanding. Multicast is weird.