Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!

Geshtal posted:

Feel free to show us how you'd do better. Okay, the MitD might have sounded a little forced if at least was still in line with the character growth. But you're complaining here on first reactions in four panels. At least wait until the next strip for a genuine denouement before you start declaring the comic ruined.

Mother of overreactions, I said the dialogue was crappy in two places. I love the comic, you're a loving nutbar though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The "you're not evil?" part was a little grating. It doesn't really fit with modern OotS anymore for characters to ask each other about their alignment that matter-of-factly, especially in tense situations. I thought so back when they reunited after being split up, too. Within two panels of seeing V again Haley said something like "whoa, black robes, did you go evil or what" and I remember thinking "well out of all the ways to have his companions realize something is wrong about V that has to be the most ham fisted by a long shot." I get why it happens and it makes sense on some level but it really doesn't fit the tone of the scene.

Although it does also mean we're not dwelling on it longer than absolutely necessary and Rich will probably have something more exciting in mind than "is he evil now, I wonder?" and a few panels of awkward dialogue are a small price to pay.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

My Lovely Horse posted:

The "you're not evil?" part was a little grating. It doesn't really fit with modern OotS anymore for characters to ask each other about their alignment that matter-of-factly, especially in tense situations. I thought so back when they reunited after being split up, too. Within two panels of seeing V again Haley said something like "whoa, black robes, did you go evil or what" and I remember thinking "well out of all the ways to have his companions realize something is wrong about V that has to be the most ham fisted by a long shot." I get why it happens and it makes sense on some level but it really doesn't fit the tone of the scene.

Although it does also mean we're not dwelling on it longer than absolutely necessary and Rich will probably have something more exciting in mind than "is he evil now, I wonder?" and a few panels of awkward dialogue are a small price to pay.

Yeah, that's fair. He's cranking them out to hit the end of the arc and some dialogue elements are getting shorter shrift than they deserve.

Against that, two major characters died permanently in the last two strips. I want to wrap those strips round my fist and punch people who complain about the plot not moving fast enough until they vomit internet blood.

Edit: I disagree the 'are you evil' talk is out of place; that's always been the world they live in. It was just a bit hamfisted.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

flyingkiwi posted:

Mother of overreactions, I said the dialogue was crappy in two places. I love the comic, you're a loving nutbar though.

How dare you, sir. I've have you know you have no place criticizing, critiquing, or expressing any opinion about this comic that could be construed as even slightly negative unless you first write one thousand stick figure strips with better dialogue or you're nothing but a hypocritical monster.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cthulhuchan posted:

Death doesn't have to be, but vampires (in D&D, at least) unequivocally are.

Only in bad D&D Like Forgotten Realms. Or Greyhawk. Or Mystara.

Basically Play more Eberron. It Eberrowns.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
Y'all are overthinking it. Roy's question (although it could be) isn't necessarily about D&D alignment. I think the first thing I'd ask a friend who had been turned into a vampire would be the equivalent to "are you all evil now?"

It's just something you'd want to know if your bud turned into an undead blood sucker.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Calaveron posted:

Truly, ">:D" is the face of sheer evil.

When on the face of a guy who's in the middle of murdering a helpless opponent? You betcha.

Calaveron posted:

At any rate, whatever makes Durkon tick now seems to be too influenced by Durkon's original personality, so I can see him still being an asset to the party, friction with the rest of the world notwithstanding.

Maybe...but Roy's down and out, Elan may not have heard their conversation while Belkar and Haley certainly didn't. None of them are known for their restraint or immense self-control. Durkon could find heimslef getting driven away by the other three members of the Order because he accidentally took Roy out.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Dolash posted:

I'm guessing Durkon's evil will mostly manifest in ruthlessness to opposition as well as a vindictive, vengeful streak against the people who exiled him from his home.

Haven't we already seen that the people that exiled him from his home are all already dead and gone? I thought we caught a flash of Durkon's home where people had literally no idea that Durkon was exiled in the first place, let alone what he was exiled for.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I had a bad hunch that "pay's good" would be Z's last words. I was hoping we'd get to see their character fleshed out a bit more, but I guess someone has to die unceremoniously at Durkon's hands to establish him as evil. Godspeed, noble drow. You were the most competent and likable member of the linear guild. :patriot:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Actually yeah, there was a letter saying the old high priest had died and there was no record of Durkon's "quest" to be found so he was free to return. Think the monster in the dark ate it or something, I'm pretty sure it was somewhat early in the Azure City arc.

It's certainly not going to help matters once he does return and may well be the catalyst for unpleasantness.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Potsticker posted:

Hopefully this means we'll get one strip next explaining Durkon's diety situation and be done with that question.

His diety situation is that now he has to drink blood instead of beer. That's a pretty major change of diet.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
And his deity situation is prescribed in the vampire rulebook. He's technically an atheist cleric right now, which as a vampire gives him access to a couple of domains including evil and destruction, but not death. Assuming that he is indeed getting the death domain, he will eventually worship Nergal or Hel.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Cat Mattress posted:

His diety situation is that now he has to drink blood instead of beer. That's a pretty major change of diet.

What about Klingon Bloodwine?

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Cat Mattress posted:

He's going to go full evil when they return to the dwarven lands and he realizes he can't enjoy the beer anymore. Mirroring Xykon with the coffee see.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think vampires can still taste stiff. At least all vampires I've ever seen are classy as poo poo and have their mansions decked out with the finest sundries and vittles. If Malack had no taste why would he brew his blood into tea?

Also I think I know a deity Durkon could use now. His name is Banjo, and his domains are fun and whimsy.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Cat Mattress posted:

Other dwarf vamps have this figured out.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

My Lovely Horse posted:

These are people who live in a world with spells like Detect Evil. It's more of a tangible thing there, especially when it involves clerics. And Roy has practically read all the rulebooks, remember. He knows Durkon was going to hurt him with his "cure" spell before even Durkon did, because he knows that Evil clerics can only cast Inflict spells spontaneuously, and he knows that all vampires are automatically Evil.

Kajeesus posted:

And his deity situation is prescribed in the vampire rulebook. He's technically an atheist cleric right now, which as a vampire gives him access to a couple of domains including evil and destruction, but not death. Assuming that he is indeed getting the death domain, he will eventually worship Nergal or Hel.
Pretty sure we haven't been seeing Thor's random fights with Hel over the last few hundred pages for no good reason. I'll be shocked if Durkon starts worshipping a non-Dwarven god with no screen time just because his vampire daddy did.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Durkon has a little trouble casting Thor's Might, gets angry, and casts Hel's Might in frustration.

edit: Hey, what do you know. Trees really are Durkon's mortal enemy now.

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Aug 6, 2013

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
The way I see it depends on how Rich chooses to interpret Thor, Old School Norse god Thor or painted on the side of a van Thor.

Because a Vampire Dwarf Cleric is probably metal enough for painted on the side of a van Thor to approve of.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Kajeesus posted:

I had a bad hunch that "pay's good" would be Z's last words. I was hoping we'd get to see their character fleshed out a bit more, but I guess someone has to die unceremoniously at Durkon's hands to establish him as evil. Godspeed, noble drow. You were the most competent and likable member of the linear guild. :patriot:

Yeah, poor Z was the only cool member of the linear guild. He didn't say much, was very competent and a decent rival to V (and unlike V, I think his gender was never in question).

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

SirDan3k posted:

The way I see it depends on how Rich chooses to interpret Thor, Old School Norse god Thor or painted on the side of a van Thor.

Because a Vampire Dwarf Cleric is probably metal enough for painted on the side of a van Thor to approve of.

Old school Norse Thor liked to drink and fight, fight and drink, and he respected any worthy warrior even if they were on opposite sides. Old school Thor would have no problem with vampire Durkon as long as he still fought with honor and never betrayed his brothers in arms.

Unfortunately, to be a cleric of a God in 3rd edition you can only be one step removed from your deity, so unless the giant bends the rules for the story again (which he can do anytime) Durkon has to get a new patron. Fortunately there's no real penalty from switching if you have a good enough reason.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

PFlats posted:

These are people who live in a world with spells like Detect Evil. It's more of a tangible thing there, especially when it involves clerics. And Roy has practically read all the rulebooks, remember. He knows Durkon was going to hurt him with his "cure" spell before even Durkon did, because he knows that Evil clerics can only cast Inflict spells spontaneuously, and he knows that all vampires are automatically Evil.

Yes this exactly, it's far from the first time we've seen someone comment on DnD mechanics in-universe. The fact that vampires are evil by default is probably common knowledge to everyone in the OotS world, I'm not really sure why this would surprise anyone at this point.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

PFlats posted:

That's why I said it makes sense on some level, still an awkward bit of dialogue.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

bigpolar posted:

Unfortunately, to be a cleric of a God in 3rd edition you can only be one step removed from your deity, so unless the giant bends the rules for the story again (which he can do anytime) Durkon has to get a new patron. Fortunately there's no real penalty from switching if you have a good enough reason.

There's canon exceptions to that rule. For example clerics of Oghma (TN) can be of any alignment.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Blackheart posted:

Yeah, poor Z was the only cool member of the linear guild. He didn't say much, was very competent and a decent rival to V (and unlike V, I think his gender was never in question).

Elves just seem to have the worst luck in this setting. Seriously, I can't think of a single one who hasn't been horribly traumatized or horribly killed.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Elves just seem to have the worst luck in this setting. Seriously, I can't think of a single one who hasn't been horribly traumatized or horribly killed.

What were they thinking, trading Constitution for Dexterity :smaug:

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

As any true roleplayer knows, it's because elves suck and deserve it :colbert:.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Ursine Asylum posted:

The real question is, how long before the GITP forums start :spergin: about how saying "Cure Moderate Wounds" with a spontaneous conversion should result in a fizzle instead of Inflict, since IMW still has a verbal component?

Pfft. They're both "Vita, Mortis, Careo" and I won't hear otherwise :colbert:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Look, he said the drat words, alright?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Maybe he didn't say every single little syllable, but basically he said them, yeah.

Basically.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Finally! Someone pulled off a coup de grace without making a big deal of it. Hooray Durkon!

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

bigpolar posted:

This rule was already being ignored since Thor, a CG diety, was already 2 steps away from LG Durkon. Either the setting ignores the rule entirely, it's a more flexible rule there, or Thor is an exception to it.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

Cat Mattress posted:

I hope nobody counts!

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Sefer posted:

This rule was already being ignored since Thor, a CG diety, was already 2 steps away from LG Durkon. Either the setting ignores the rule entirely, it's a more flexible rule there, or Thor is an exception to it.

I thought we already went over this as Clerics are not required to worship gods to have powers. This generally requires a major roleplaying event to happen. But, I'd say being turned into an undead abomination counts for quite a bit.

Anyway, we'll probably find out in a couple of strips.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

V's master, Aarandarius. Though admittedly he's only sort of appeared.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

e X posted:

As any true roleplayer knows, it's because elves suck and deserve it :colbert:.

What's that? A bunch of people who are racially smarter, more graceful, more attractive, and longer-lived are having a hard time of it? Aww, my heart bleeds for them. No, it doesn't.

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

flyingkiwi posted:

Easy there, Tex, I think we have a misunderstanding of tone here. You were critiquing Rich and suggesting he lay off updating without really saying why. I was critiquing your critique. I'm not saying you have to be a web artist to make any comment. Heck, I even conceded on the MitD point but feel you're jumping the gun on decrying what's clearly a set-up for a Durkon/OotS scene. At least without even saying why. I meant my statement literally; tell me why its so terribly crappy that it requires a breather. What should have been done? Just look literally one post down from your response to me for an example of someone showing why they think it should be called out. Do I agree with the criticism? Doesn't matter! I'm not the arbiter of people's opinions. But what the hell do I know? I'm just a loving nutbar.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
If Rich doesn't make a "Durkon is REALLY afraid of oak trees now" joke soon, he's blowing it.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Sefer posted:

And we know Thor is CG how?

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

jng2058 posted:

V's master, Aarandarius. Though admittedly he's only sort of appeared.

The half-elf short-time member of the Linear Guild got out ok too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

ikanreed posted:

And we know Thor is CG how?

...Because it's Thor. You think a lighting bolt throwing, drink a swimming pool of ale a day, creating a dozen demi-god children a day God is Lawful?