Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Is there a way to automatically make newly built units join a control group, or at the very least, rally to an existing unit so that they'll follow it around? Or in Dragon form, to force new units to rally to your position?

This game has you building so many units all the time always and it's kind of a pain to constantly be reselecting them and telling them to move in the heat of battle, I'd love to be able to just use the production building hotkeys (which I love, by the way, and think all RTS games should have) to build units and trust them to reinforce the battle without having to take extra steps to hold their hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Add your buildings to a control group (ctrl+1-9), then when the control group is active, right click somewhere. I constantly do this as the lines move up.

What I haven't figured out is how to select buildings while in dragon form. If you have the building group selected when you go into dragon form, you keep control and can keep pumping units. But as soon as I select my army (f2), I can't seem to ever go back.

--

Goddamn the undead have the most metal responses to political decisions.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
You probably haven't noticed, but I've been adding links to reviews all the time. The consensus is that this is an 8/10 game. It's been #1 or #2 all day on Steam's Top Sellers list.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Is there a way to automatically make newly built units join a control group, or at the very least, rally to an existing unit so that they'll follow it around? Or in Dragon form, to force new units to rally to your position?

This game has you building so many units all the time always and it's kind of a pain to constantly be reselecting them and telling them to move in the heat of battle, I'd love to be able to just use the production building hotkeys (which I love, by the way, and think all RTS games should have) to build units and trust them to reinforce the battle without having to take extra steps to hold their hands.

No, unfortunately. That would certainly help. The only thing you can do is set rally points wherever you want. In Dragon form, with a building selected, the "Attack-Move" command sets the rally point.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Rascyc posted:

Add your buildings to a control group (ctrl+1-9), then when the control group is active, right click somewhere. I constantly do this as the lines move up.

What I haven't figured out is how to select buildings while in dragon form. If you have the building group selected when you go into dragon form, you keep control and can keep pumping units. But as soon as I select my army (f2), I can't seem to ever go back.

--

Goddamn the undead have the most metal responses to political decisions.

There are keys for that, actually. You can check them in-game.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Is the player AI decent enough in this game that you can auto-resolve all battles and come away with a reasonable amount of wins and losses? Everything about this game except the RTS battles seems intriguing to me. I'd love to give it a shot at some point, but if I had to play the RTS battles it would be less than ideal.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Rascyc posted:

I'm not sure you can select buildings in Dragon form. That's why when I build them, I always Shift-Click + 1 to add them to control group 1, so I can access the buildings whenever I want.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Is the player AI decent enough in this game that you can auto-resolve all battles and come away with a reasonable amount of wins and losses? Everything about this game except the RTS battles seems intriguing to me. I'd love to give it a shot at some point, but if I had to play the RTS battles it would be less than ideal.

I guess so. If your win chance is up above 80%, you'll probably win most autoresolves.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm not sure you can select buildings in Dragon form. That's why when I build them, I always Shift-Click + 1 to add them to control group 1, so I can access the buildings whenever I want.

I guess so. If your win chance is up above 80%, you'll probably win most autoresolves.

You can stack it pretty well in your favor if you build enough card buildings. Some mercs can turn things around pretty drat well.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
There's no player AI, it just gives you a random result that is impacted by the initial chance of victory. Just like the Total War games.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Hey Raze, for whatever reason, whenever I select 'continue' from the main menu it'll start loading and then crash the game, sending me back to my desktop. However, I can select a game from the 'load' screen and it'll be just fine. :iiam:

It's consistently done this. It's not a big deal for me, but I figured you might want to know.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Z, X, C, and V select your building types (Z selects all battleforges, X selects all factories, the other two are air and naval buildings I assume). Very handy in Dragon mode, as well as in general.

I did not know that you could set a rally point in Dragon mode by pressing Q though, that's very handy, thanks for that tip.

I'm finding that I'm getting some serious framerate lag on the strategic map (where you play cards, move armies, buy buildings, etc) of all places. It's fine on the battle map, but for some reason it's slow as molasses on the strategic map. It's also a bit crap on the Raven (especially in the engine room, probably because of all the steam effects). You'd think that the battle map, where all the graphics and processes are happening would be the worst, but nope! It's the fastest!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm finding that I'm getting some serious framerate lag on the strategic map (where you play cards, move armies, buy buildings, etc) of all places. It's fine on the battle map, but for some reason it's slow as molasses on the strategic map. It's also a bit crap on the Raven (especially in the engine room, probably because of all the steam effects). You'd think that the battle map, where all the graphics and processes are happening would be the worst, but nope! It's the fastest!

Same here. I also have skipping/hanging on cutscenes.

Has anyone tried any of the deals with Curvo yet? I'm curious to see what they do.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

You can. By the time I got to chapter 3 I was really wanting to go to sleep but also wanted to finish the game so I didn't play any of the RTS battles. With smart play on the strategic map and good use of cards (mercenaries are amazing) you can win without having to do any dirty work yourself.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Love this game. The combat is great, the RPG aspects are awesome and I love the design of everything.

The things I don't like? Not being able to take Scarlett as a concubine and loving Yorrick's moving upper jaw. It's like he is wearing a rubber mask and it bothers me whenever I see it.

Totally worth it the funds.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I have to admit, I was having my doubts when I played the beta but I'm really having a good time now. You can slow down the game pace and the story mode dragon is way better in every aspect than the multiplayer ones.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Excelsiortothemax posted:

The things I don't like? Not being able to take Scarlett as a concubine

I'm like 90 percent sure that her secret is that she's a lesbian, so that really doesn't bother me

Tried using one of the Curvo options. If you give him your wife, you get 3 cards, and it says "Curvo's power has increased by 10 percent" which sounds, uh, menacing. 'Cause, you know. Big demon guy. Not a chill fellow. . That was all savescum stuff, though, so I don't know any later effects.

Oh! You can reread that turns newspaper at any time, btw, by clicking on the copy in the Royal Chambers on the table in the lower left. Did not know that.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Excelsiortothemax posted:

The things I don't like? Not being able to take Scarlett as a concubine and loving Yorrick's moving upper jaw.

That is awesome, I don't know what you're talking about :colbert:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I'm like 90 percent sure that her secret is that she's a lesbian, so that really doesn't bother me

She is. I wish there was an option to set her up with one of the princesses you didn't marry, like the elf (after all, we all know elves are into that sort of thing :v:). I mean, I'm an Emperor, I'll play matchmaker whenever I want to :colbert:

EDIT: I've finally found the button that allows you to check on your standing in the polls with the other races- it seems I'd be a perfect lizard (70% approval), which is kind of fitting. I've never been able to get a 'faction decision' though- what are those?

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 7, 2013

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

At the risk of comparing a good game to a less good game, this game is in a lot of ways what I was hoping Fable III would be. Being a monarch and making decisions that have costs and benefits and so on. I'm only on the first chapter, but if there's an RNG element to it after this I'm very eager to see how that plays out.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Man, I'm really not enjoying the rts stuff. I'm going to just hold off playing for a while, come back to it later. The enemy just steamrolls me no matter what and it's incredibly frustrating. And to auto resolve every engagement just doesn't feel right.

The enemy units, even of the same type, just seem so much more powerful than mine. I know it's most likely my thing and not the game's, but it's incredibly frustrating all the same.

At least I got to support Larian, I suppose. :cheers:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Drifter posted:

Man, I'm really not enjoying the rts stuff. I'm going to just hold off playing for a while, come back to it later. The enemy just steamrolls me no matter what and it's incredibly frustrating. And to auto resolve every engagement just doesn't feel right.

The enemy units, even of the same type, just seem so much more powerful than mine. I know it's most likely my thing and not the game's, but it's incredibly frustrating all the same.

Just turn down the difficulty, that should help. But yeah, I have to agree that I think the RTS portions can get a little weak, prone as they are to blobbing. All I personally need for example, are Armours to soak up damage, while Warlocks and Shamans do the real legwork.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I feel like troopers capture buildings waaaaay too quickly. Even if it's only like two of them, they'll take a recruitment center in like two seconds, which can be so fast you can't react even with units present.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah you pretty much have to counter cap. On the other hand, troopers die pretty much instantly after the first chapter. AoE splash damage and such from grenadiers and warlocks, etc.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rascyc posted:

Yeah you pretty much have to counter cap. On the other hand, troopers die pretty much instantly after the first chapter. AoE splash damage and such from grenadiers and warlocks, etc.

Yeah, it's just annoying when one sneaks through and captures an important building in no time. And the AI loves to send over a transport with two or three of the little fuckers when you're busy doing something else.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ophelia (undead princess) story-line: Wow, so letting her murder some nameless lady off screen so she can steal a new body is pretty... dark.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, it's just annoying when one sneaks through and captures an important building in no time. And the AI loves to send over a transport with two or three of the little fuckers when you're busy doing something else.

It gets even better when they start using Cloaked Transports!

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Every time the Imp ambassador talks I'm like "man he is being a sarcastic dick" but then I realize that he is being completely serious.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Every time the Imp ambassador talks I'm like "man he is being a sarcastic dick" but then I realize that he is being completely serious.

Skippy McPants posted:

The Imp are the best. I am sad the Imp Princess died en-route, I totally would have given her a chance.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Aug 7, 2013

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Skippy McPants posted:

The Imp are the best. I am sad the

Spoiler that, yo.

VVV - Sorry, Skippy. I'm not even gonna read that. :smug:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Aug 7, 2013

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
My loading times are too long to really give it a shot right now, but has anyone tried feeding ALL of the princesses to Curvos? Can you do that? I get the impression that making him more powerful is a Bad Thing, and I want to know what happens when you go whole-hog with it.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Drifter posted:

Spoiler that, yo.

Ehh? They said in all the preview stuff that there are only four, and they listed out they were. But okay!

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
I just realized there are 3 legs in the Trooper icon. I thought it was a picture of a velociraptor this whole time and just thought huh that's a weird symbol but I guess they move fast.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The unit graphics are really bizarre in general. I guess the grenadier is like a dwarf in a little mech and they keep telling me to not be a pussy? I have no idea.

Skippy McPants posted:

It gets even better when they start using Cloaked Transports!
The decloak and the cleanse powers for dragons is an absolute must. The AI abuses cloak/polymorph so goddamn much it is maddening. It's like 60 seconds too!

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Aug 7, 2013

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rascyc posted:

The decloak and the cleanse powers for dragons is an absolute must. The AI abuses cloak/polymorph so goddamn much it is maddening. It's like 60 seconds too!

And you can attack without decloaking! The time limits on cloak and that loving beetle spell are way too goddamn long, in my opinion.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Rascyc posted:

I just use AA Turrets and Balloons. I built my Dragon for AoE CC and Damage. You say Dragons are OP early, but they get even more potent once you get powers that let you lock down/obliterate entire armies.

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to
So, I beat the game. Had a grand ol' time, to boot. I'll admit I totally cheesed the final map, though, with what had by then become far and away my favorite unit for Risk fights. I don't think I did a single RTS fight for the last two or three hours of the game and it was hilarious.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Gotta Wear Shades posted:

So, I beat the game. Had a grand ol' time, to boot. I'll admit I totally cheesed the final map, though, with what had by then become far and away my favorite unit for Risk fights. I don't think I did a single RTS fight for the last two or three hours of the game and it was hilarious.

Same here- that last battle I just rolled in every Imp Fighter in creation and bombed the hell out of the enemy capital.

Also, is it just me or are the lizards basically the best race ever? Sometimes it seems like they're the only people with their heads screwed on straight.

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to

CommissarMega posted:

Same here- that last battle I just rolled in every Imp Fighter in creation and bombed the hell out of the enemy capital.

Also, is it just me or are the lizards basically the best race ever? Sometimes it seems like they're the only people with their heads screwed on straight.

I went Juggernauts. I invaded his capital the same turn he invaded mine; not a single Juggernaut died in either engagement. So beautiful.

The Lizards were, on average, the race I found myself agreeing with the most. Or at least understanding and respecting their opinion even if I disagreed with it. Prospera was pretty chill and I found myself trusting her basic opinion more than the other advisors.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
The Lizards certainly seem to be the closest to the typical modern democratic view. I'd probably be agreeing with the elves a bit more though if Oberon wasn't such a stuck-up dickhead. I swear, that guy opposes the weirdest things sometimes.

Can't say they hold a candle to the Imps, though. They know what they want and by god they're going to get it. I almost shed a tear when I turned down their request to desecrate elven burial sites in search of the baddest boom.

ParanoidInc fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Aug 7, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The Cast page has been updated with the names/IMDB Links of the fantastic voice actors

CommissarMega posted:

EDIT: I've finally found the button that allows you to check on your standing in the polls with the other races- it seems I'd be a perfect lizard (70% approval), which is kind of fitting. I've never been able to get a 'faction decision' though- what are those?

Faction decisions are not explicitly labelled as such. They start appearing once your favour with a race hits 85%. They appear like regular council decisions, except that the one proposing it is the ONLY one in favour of it, and often, the decisions seem pretty far out - like the Imp request to desecrate the Elven burial grounds, that was a faction decision. They give a larger-than normal approval bonus and a larger-than normal approval penalty.

Larian Twitter posted:

Finalising new Dragon Commander update - increased challenge for RTS experts, truckload of options for custom story campaigns - coming soon

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Aug 7, 2013

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Faction decisions are not explicitly labelled as such. They start appearing once your favour with a race hits 85%. They appear like regular council decisions, except that the one proposing it is the ONLY one in favour of it, and often, the decisions seem pretty far out - like the Imp request to desecrate the Elven burial grounds, that was a faction decision. They give a larger-than normal approval bonus and a larger-than normal approval penalty.

Is there any benefit to acceding to their requests? Do you get something for having 100% favor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Huh, so it turns out the most annoying character and best character share a voice actor. I'll let you decide which is which :v:

Yeah, I went full 100% with the Lizards and decreed myself out of office :haw:

EDIT: Spoiling for safety.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Aug 7, 2013

• Locked thread