Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Minus1Minus1 posted:

I suppose desk-jockey games of any sort would fall here. What surprises have you guys got?

Papers, Please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Minus1Minus1 posted:

Ok, now I'm looking for meta. I want games where I'm meant to be at a computer terminal. Uplink and Defcon spring to mind, as does the game with the love story on the old school BBS. Even EVE Online, to an extent, i guess. Anything else?

I suppose desk-jockey games of any sort would fall here. What surprises have you guys got?

System Shock 2 and play gamepig game overworld zero(it's a roguelike). I think system shock 1 had some game in the game too.
In Syndicate and Syndicate Wars you're supposedly in a blimp in front of holoscreen while your cyborg agents are kicking rear end on the ground.
You also could play X3 without ever undocking, only controlling ships by remote

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Minus1Minus1 posted:

Ok, now I'm looking for meta. I want games where I'm meant to be at a computer terminal. Uplink and Defcon spring to mind, as does the game with the love story on the old school BBS. Even EVE Online, to an extent, i guess. Anything else?

Frozen Synapse has a very similar feel to Uplink and Defcon.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Here's a tough one... I basically want Battlefield 1942: Flight Simulator. I loved the way the planes (and helicopters) handled (ie: arcadey, not complicated, but still challenging) and I liked just loading a single player game, dicking around flying in circles and trying to land on weird stuff. Obviously it's not something those games are really designed for. I also spent a lot of time dicking around in Pilotwings and even like, loving Diddy Kong Racing, trying to fit the little airplane cart through cracks in rocks and stuff.

Most flight sims are too focused on realism and controls... I don't want realistic controls I want to gently caress around in airplanes, dammit :mad:. I've played Wings of Prey and it's got nice controls (on the least simulator setting) but the missions are linear. I kind of want a Burnout:Paradise sort of world where you can explore and dick around, and occasionally there is a mission or something to give the whole thing a point.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Ever played Crimson Skies? I've had trouble running it on modern systems though.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
Comedy option: Stunt Island :v:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Tagra posted:

Here's a tough one... I basically want Battlefield 1942: Flight Simulator. I loved the way the planes (and helicopters) handled (ie: arcadey, not complicated, but still challenging) and I liked just loading a single player game, dicking around flying in circles and trying to land on weird stuff. Obviously it's not something those games are really designed for. I also spent a lot of time dicking around in Pilotwings and even like, loving Diddy Kong Racing, trying to fit the little airplane cart through cracks in rocks and stuff.

Most flight sims are too focused on realism and controls... I don't want realistic controls I want to gently caress around in airplanes, dammit :mad:. I've played Wings of Prey and it's got nice controls (on the least simulator setting) but the missions are linear. I kind of want a Burnout:Paradise sort of world where you can explore and dick around, and occasionally there is a mission or something to give the whole thing a point.

Just Cause 2 has all the flight and land-on-poo poo you could possibly want. Also you can have a shitload of fun with it, like bolting an oil tanker boat to a 747 and trying to take off with it.

Everyone should play Just Cause 2, really.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
This one is kind of weird, because I can't think of any examples, but can anyone recommend a strategy game(turn-based or RTS) where all players are competing under the shadow of an apocalypse? I don't mean in the sense that the game plot is about one, that is common enough, but a game where either through passage of time or player actions(or both) the game ticks towards an end state where everything goes to poo poo. Bonus points if it doesn't just pop up an 'Armageddon - you lose!' screen but everything in the game world just goes to poo poo, forcing you to play in an apocalyptic hellhole.

I guess Defcon kind of sounds like it counts, but that is not what I really mean.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 31, 2013

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Contest Winner posted:

This one is kind of weird, because I can't think of any examples, but can anyone recommend a strategy game(turn-based or RTS) where all players are competing under the shadow of an apocalypse? I don't mean in the sense that the game plot is about one, that is common enough, but a game where either through passage of time or player actions(or both) the game ticks towards an end state where everything goes to poo poo. Bonus points if it doesn't just pop up an 'Armageddon - you lose!' screen but everything in the game world just goes to poo poo, forcing you to play in an apocalyptic hellhole.

I guess Defcon kind of sounds like it counts, but that is not what I really mean.

Have you tried X-COM (the original or Enemy Unknown)? That'll go downhill real fast if you don't keep up your research and alien-killing.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Contest Winner posted:

This one is kind of weird, because I can't think of any examples, but can anyone recommend a strategy game(turn-based or RTS) where all players are competing under the shadow of an apocalypse? I don't mean in the sense that the game plot is about one, that is common enough, but a game where either through passage of time or player actions(or both) the game ticks towards an end state where everything goes to poo poo and everyone loses.

Alpha Centauri was big on this. There was was an army of psychic worms that acted as mindless units attacking everything and would become stronger as the game progressed, and players could do things to either lower or raise their rate of expansion.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Contest Winner posted:

Avernum 3. As time passes, the world just keeps going to poo poo as unrelenting hordes of monsters completely gently caress everything. Entire cities get gutted if you don't help them in time, and yes that includes quest NPCs.

The world falling apart will never actually make you lose the game, and it'll never become impossible to finish, but yeah it's a race against time and you'll definitely see (and feel) the consequences if you are slow.

edit: whoops I missed that you were looking for a strategy game; Avernum 3 is a turn-based RPG.

Ashenai fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 31, 2013

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Earth 2150 might fit the bill. A nuclear war de-orbited Earth because :pseudo:, now build a colony ship before Earth crashes into the sun (or rather becomes an unlivable molten hellhole), with a persistent day count between levels. I believe it will even make levels more lava'd if you're slow, or maybe it just chooses harder missions as you slow down; it's been a while, I forget.

Honestly, I can't recommend it for the campaign unless you are super into the premise, the game hasn't aged well.

tips
Feb 16, 2011

Contest Winner posted:

Fall From Heaven 2 is based entirely around this, and as you get closer to the apocalypse the four horseman (who are loving terrifying) show up one by one, hell terrain spreads which eventually makes the world inhospitable, a race of demons can get summoned, and at the end everything just dies. Some races are trying to end the world, some are trying to prevent it, and some are hit harder by different stages of the apocalypse, so it can lead to some interesting strategies and politics as the whole thing goes down.

It's a kind of poo poo looking Civ 4 mod but the gameplay is very well done, it's one of my favorite Civ games next to 4 and Alpha Centauri.

Dominions 3 also has a few races built around summoning monkey demons and casting the world into darkness and whatnot, but that game is super groggy so YMMV.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

PUKED posted:

Dominions 3 also has a few races built around summoning monkey demons and casting the world into darkness and whatnot, but that game is super groggy so YMMV.

And Dominions 4 is coming next month.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Contest Winner posted:

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri has that sort of dynamic, especially under the high centauri lifeform activity game modes. Various player and AI activities create pollution, which the Planet pushes back on by spawning increasingly large groups of mindworms. Assuming you don't cheese it with the Centauri reserve glitch...

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Can anyone recommend me a decent driving game, either off-road or track-based?

I really like stuff along the lines of Fuel, the Dirt games, and all the old Colin McRae rally stuff etc. I've tried to get into Test Drive Unlimited 2 but it seems a bit shallow and the aspirational lifestyle stuff pisses me off.

Is there anything along those lines that's been released recently? I just wish Codemasters would release a new rallying game without tacked on energy drinks.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Minus1Minus1 posted:

The upcoming social-networking-in-Star-Trek Redshirt might fit the bill.

5thMouseButton
Jun 6, 2010
Recommendations for a game with Max Payne 1-3 or F.E.A.R. type gun play for PC? Looking at good shooting mechanics, first person or first person gun sights, bullet time or dive/rolls aren't a must. Medal of Honor games and the early CoDs fall into this as well, even Brothers In Arms but I'm not looking to play those again.

I'm likely to end up replaying some old title again as I'm afraid I'm already well aware of my options but maybe there's something else out there.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

5thMouseButton posted:

Recommendations for a game with Max Payne 1-3 or F.E.A.R. type gun play for PC? Looking at good shooting mechanics, first person or first person gun sights, bullet time or dive/rolls aren't a must. Medal of Honor games and the early CoDs fall into this as well, even Brothers In Arms but I'm not looking to play those again.

I'm likely to end up replaying some old title again as I'm afraid I'm already well aware of my options but maybe there's something else out there.

The Chronicles of Riddick's shooting mechanics always reminded me of F.E.A.R., even though they aren't that similar. And Escape From Butcher Bay is excellent. Do keep in mind that it is a stealth game that you don't have to treat as one.

5thMouseButton
Jun 6, 2010

Liberatore posted:

The Chronicles of Riddick's shooting mechanics always reminded me of F.E.A.R., even though they aren't that similar. And Escape From Butcher Bay is excellent. Do keep in mind that it is a stealth game that you don't have to treat as one.

I played a bit of Riddick couple years back, didn't take with me. Thanks for the effort though.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Here's a random recommendation for those of us who like survival and resource gathering games. It's a browser game:
http://adarkroom.doublespeakgames.com/

It eventually becomes a bit like a roguelike, when you start exploring the wilderness.

I was already having plenty of fun with it, and then I found the spaceship :stare:

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

5thMouseButton posted:

RAGE has great shooting mechanics, gun play. A variety of ammo types that turn your pistol into a death cannon, and your shotty into a rocket launcher. The driving isn't all that great, ymmv, and I found that the game got repetitive about 3/4's of the way through. If it's cheap though, it's worth it.

Crysis One of my all time favorite FPS games. Great gun play, not as linear as most FPS's, absolutely gorgeous, epic ending.

Crysis 2 Probably as good as 1 in terms of being a solid FPS, but way more linear than 1. Good gun sounds in the big city, and the scope of scenery is amazing. In fact, I cannot stress that enough, the sheer size of everything in the city makes the environment worth shooting your way though the game.

Bulletstorm If it's cheap, you owe it to yourself to play it. It's not terribly long, it's terribly linear, but has some unique gun play, and some...um...dialog.

FarCry 2 If you can get past the fact that check points respawn, FC2 has really, really good gun play. It's beautiful, it's non-linear, but it's also not for everyone. I loved it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Remote User posted:

Bulletstorm If it's cheap, you owe it to yourself to play it. It's not terribly long, it's terribly linear, but has some unique gun play, and some...um...dialog.

Gonna kill your dick for that "if it's cheap" horseshit. Bulletstorm's only real problem is that there isn't more of it. Play that poo poo and play it to death.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
I've always loved Knytt and Knytt Stories - platformers that allowed you to explore an open world. Something quiet and relaxing, with great ambient music. Are there any games like that on the Wii, 360, or PC?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Tagra posted:

Here's a random recommendation for those of us who like survival and resource gathering games. It's a browser game:
http://adarkroom.doublespeakgames.com/

It eventually becomes a bit like a roguelike, when you start exploring the wilderness.

I was already having plenty of fun with it, and then I found the spaceship :stare:

This is neat, although wood gathering is quite a grind.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Bouchacha posted:

This is neat, although wood gathering is quite a grind.

Not once you build a few huts! I wandered off and came back to 36000 wood...

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
This is a bit silly but I've been watching a ton of Adventure Time recently and am hankering for an RPG to play with lots of adventuring and dungeons and non-grimdark mood. It doesn't have to be recent or anything. I've already played Skyrim so even though it fits my description almost perfectly, I can't really by bothered to install all the amazing mods that I know i'll inevitably want in order to improve the game.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I guess I should've been specific: RPG for PC, and WRPG is preferred.

Brownie fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 3, 2013

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Brownie posted:

This is a bit silly but I've been watching a ton of Adventure Time recently and am hankering for an RPG to play with lots of adventuring and dungeons and non-grimdark mood. It doesn't have to be recent or anything. I've already played Skyrim so even though it fits my description almost perfectly, I can't really by bothered to install all the amazing mods that I know i'll inevitably want in order to improve the game.

Any suggestions?
JRPG or WRPG? Because if you like the former I'd suggest Persona 4.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Accordion Man posted:

JRPG or WRPG? Because if you like the former I'd suggest Persona 4.

I guess I should've been specific: RPG for PC, and WRPG is preferred.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Brownie posted:

Any suggestions?

Fallout: New Vegas is pretty good and probably less grim than Skyrim. Buy the ultimate edition, it's worth the price difference.

There's also Divinity 2: Director's Cut. It's a little janky but has a ton of exploration and a lot of humour.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Are there any lesser-known prerelease games with good and growing communities around right now? I remember how cool it was to be in on Minecraft back in the old Infdev days when the game was really coming together and the developer was really involved.

Anything like that going on at the moment?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Danger Mahoney posted:

Are there any lesser-known prerelease games with good and growing communities around right now? I remember how cool it was to be in on Minecraft back in the old Infdev days when the game was really coming together and the developer was really involved.

Anything like that going on at the moment?

Starbound sorta fits the bill, as Terraria evolved. The devs show up once in a while in the thread we have here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490246

Shadowrun Returns was just released, and the devs are fairly involved in the community there too.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I really like survival games. Roguelike does it a bit, like UnReal World, so graphics aren't a must, but I'm currently really enjoying Miasmata and I'm wondering what other good, more modern games are in that genre.

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008

tuyop posted:

I really like survival games. Roguelike does it a bit, like UnReal World, so graphics aren't a must, but I'm currently really enjoying Miasmata and I'm wondering what other good, more modern games are in that genre.
Tried Don't Starve?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

JadaX posted:

Tried Don't Starve?

Oh yeah, that's another great example of what I'm looking for.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Vitamins posted:

a decent driving game

Quoting because that's exactly what I was going to type. I would really like something that's semi realistic, without being a full-blown sim. The Forza series would be perfect, but I only have a PC available at the moment.

Apart from Forza, I've had a lot of fun with GTA 4 and Burnout Paradise. Neither game is very simmy, but I love driving models where traction and the driving surface make a huge difference. TDU2's driving model was unfortunately terrible and GRID would have been great if the career mode wasn't so annoying.

I haven't tried any of the Dirt games, would #2 be a good choice? The third still seems quite expensive, especially with all the dlc.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Fruits of the sea posted:

I haven't tried any of the Dirt games, would #2 be a good choice? The third still seems quite expensive, especially with all the dlc.

Yes, Dirt 2 is the best game in that series, I'd say. It's got much longer races than 3, plus the lack of DLC.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
I want a game with that adaptive AI that responds to your skill level (if you get better, it gets better, if you get worse, it gets worse). Of course, there's a few games that have it, but I've never heard of a game that has it and it actually works properly. Not too fussed about genre.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Project1 posted:

I want a game with that adaptive AI that responds to your skill level (if you get better, it gets better, if you get worse, it gets worse). Of course, there's a few games that have it, but I've never heard of a game that has it and it actually works properly. Not too fussed about genre.

The only game I know of that does that explicitly is Max Payne 2, which actually has a kinda funny (unintentional) feedback system. If you gently caress up 2-3 times and swing the difficulty too low, the next areas will become piss-easy, which then makes it say "Woah, gotta ramp this poo poo up" and it goes to 11, which kills you over and over, and when you FINALLY get past that, it's been saying "drat, that was way too hard, gotta bring this back to candyland" and thus it wobbles. Interesting in that computer science sense.

E: If I remember correctly, only the lowest/first difficult does this, 'medium' and 'hard' are locked at sub-goes-to-11 levels.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
That's part of the reason why this "adaptive" AI is generally bad. It's kind of like communism: seems like a good idea on paper, but it's awful in practice.

There's a reason why some of the first Oblivion mods removed the enemy level scaling - it shares a problem with adaptive AI.