Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Friar Zucchini posted:

That happens every once in a while. Traveling merchants... uh, travel.

edit: Here's a question... IIRC I'm at level 36 or so, with almost all my skills above 70, and Speech and Medicine are currently chem'd up to 87. I've gotten this far, currently playing DM while taking a break from negotiating with the Khans and the NCR. When needed, I shoot things - if that's gotten me this far, is there any reason to worry about a melee skill of 18 and unarmed 13?

Only times melee combat is remotely necessary are OWB and DM, and then Energy Weapons will take care of you. There's some perks to a melee playstyle (better damage in some circumstances, less ammo/weight), but by now they're not terribly important.

Also, Novac is a merchant hub, it's not surprising to see lots of merchants there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Only times melee combat is remotely necessary are OWB and DM, and then Energy Weapons will take care of you. There's some perks to a melee playstyle (better damage in some circumstances, less ammo/weight), but by now they're not terribly important.

Also, Novac is a merchant hub, it's not surprising to see lots of merchants there.

Only if you ever really want to punch or smash things. It can help in OWB because that whole thing is more or less geared against guns, but sufficient bullets or lasers will help you.

BodineWilson
Dec 21, 2009

It really depends on your playstyle, but I've run a guns-based guy through the whole game (minus the last two DLC's (old world blues, lonesome road)) without investing any points in unarmed or melee and not had any troubles.

I think the people that go for melee like not having to carry around the extra weight in ammo, or have to worry about running out. If you can deal with that, there weren't any nasty surprises requiring a high melee / unarmed skill that I encountered in my runthroughs.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

My latest run as a melee character was pretty hilarious, as it was generally lacking for most of the game. Then I hit OWB, got the Proton Inversal Axe and nothing could stay alive past a couple of whacks.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Yeah I just used explosives and the modified LAER in OWB, with a plasma rifle on hand for when it broke and .45 SMG for :tviv:

...Frankly, the .45 was my melee weapon. Drum magazines helped plenty.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Aug 7, 2013

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012
I like to go unarmed and get Bloody Mess so I can be the Fist of the North Star. Appropriately, I rocked Fist of the North Rawr from Lonesome Road.

Kurash
May 12, 2008

Friar Zucchini posted:

That happens every once in a while. Traveling merchants... uh, travel.

It actually sounds an awful like they're the merchants from the scripted Legion ambush leading up to Novac. Good news! They made it!

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
I've been playing through the DLCs. I liked Dead Money's story and atmosphere a lot, but Honest Hearts was a bit of a miss. Scenery was nice, but there were a lot of missed opportunities in the plot, or what little of it there was. I would've liked to pick Joshua's brain about his former colleagues a lot more than I was allowed. The main question about the morality of fighting also rung hollow after several hours in a tremendously hostile wasteland. It's an interesting question, sure, but it never really comes up anywhere else in the game, and so felt very tacked-on.

Another gripe I had was the depiction of the tribespeople, but that's an issue in all of the Fallout games, most notably at the second game's beginning. It just seems very unbelievable that 200 years after a nuclear holocaust people would have forgotten how guns work or how to read English, especially when pre-war society seemed to be quite advanced in technology. The people having taboos about The Survivalist's trapped hideouts was interesting and sort of sensible, but having taboos about regular old buildings just made them seem silly. The player having such a wide influence also made me a bit uncomfortable: don't these people have any thoughts of their own?

The Survivalist's diary entries were a hidden gem, though. They made me wonder what would be Obsidian's take on a immediately-post-apocalyptic Fallout game. Possibly it would be like an evil playthrough of Planescape: Torment, where the game would get too :smithicide: to actually play.

While Honest Hearts was a bit of a let-down, Old World Blues has certainly showed a lot of promise so far. It would probably be hilarious with that mod that allows the player to construct their own robot army. :allears:

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Their language evolved into a mix of English and Spanish and other poo poo after 200 years of isolation.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Promontory posted:

I've been playing through the DLCs. I liked Dead Money's story and atmosphere a lot, but Honest Hearts was a bit of a miss. Scenery was nice, but there were a lot of missed opportunities in the plot, or what little of it there was. I would've liked to pick Joshua's brain about his former colleagues a lot more than I was allowed. The main question about the morality of fighting also rung hollow after several hours in a tremendously hostile wasteland. It's an interesting question, sure, but it never really comes up anywhere else in the game, and so felt very tacked-on.

I don't know if it's quite fair to call it a question simply of the morality of fighting, though. Like everything else in NV, it comes back to the question of whether or not the past has enough worth to hold on to at the expense of the future. Do you let yourself give in to the old world blues, or do you let go and begin again?

I agree that HH felt underdeveloped as a whole (and as I recall there were development constraints that caused that), but I think that a properly finished HH would place less emphasis on violence, and read more like a story about immigrant families (which The Sorrows are, in many ways): is it worth it to abandon old cultural mores to survive better in your new society? Or is there something worth keeping alive? I think pacifism just gets used because it provides a stronger argument for the old ways (which don't always get a fair shake in NV, in my opinion).

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

equity posted:

Their language evolved into a mix of English and Spanish and other poo poo after 200 years of isolation.
Each of the tribal languages has a few different roots. The Dead Horses are descendants of Americans, German tourists, and Navajo, so their spoken language is mostly English-German with some Navajo.

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

I prefer melee these days, simply because the game allows for hilarious situations like this one. That little dot is the Alpha Male in Quarry Junction, who I hit with a VATS Mauler attack and he just went into orbit. He died on impact.

So rope kid what is it that makes the game engine allow for such huge knockbacks sometimes? Is the engine glitching, or just some other code madness?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rex Deckard fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 7, 2013

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

rope kid posted:

Each of the tribal languages has a few different roots. The Dead Horses are descendants of Americans, German tourists, and Navajo, so their spoken language is mostly English-German with some Navajo.

Just out of curiosity, what mixes do the other tribes use?

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Elmo Oxygen posted:

Why is there not a La Fantoma costume mod??

There was going to be, but the author of the "La Fantoma sex slave" mod wouldn't share the character model.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
So I'm playing through New Vegas Bounties, and it feels really easy. Go to a place, shoot a dude in the face, repeat. I guess I'm not sure what I expected, but everybody seems to be right out in the open, or just jumps you as you leave the place you were told to find them. I kind of figured there might be more to it.

CiderTron
Jul 31, 2013

All ill say is Fallout New Vegas is awesome, as is the other games in the Fallout series. But my god is it such a long game if you like to explore inch of the map

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Dirtidodger posted:

All ill say is Fallout New Vegas is awesome, as is the other games in the Fallout series. But my god is it such a long game if you like to explore inch of the map

I was over 70 hours exploring the region before I even stepped foot on the Strip when I first played the game. There's something addictive about marking off landmarks on the map in this game.

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP

Hank Morgan posted:

I was over 70 hours exploring the region before I even stepped foot on the Strip when I first played the game. There's something addictive about marking off landmarks on the map in this game.

If a little empty triangle appears on my compass I am physically unable to ignore it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Wait, that's what the little triangles on the compass mean? The empty ones are locations?!

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Wait, that's what the little triangles on the compass mean? The empty ones are locations?!

Yeah I never realized that until recently.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

CJacobs posted:

The filled ones are locations you've discovered

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Rex Deckard posted:

I prefer melee these days, simply because the game allows for hilarious situations like this one. That little dot is the Alpha Male in Quarry Junction, who I hit with a VATS Mauler attack and he just went into orbit. He died on impact.

So rope kid what is it that makes the game engine allow for such huge knockbacks sometimes? Is the engine glitching, or just some other code madness?

Welp. Guess there is something I'm missing out on. I think I'll live though. And a correction for above, since that screenshot reminds me - The .45 is just for melee. The missile launcher is my primary :tviv: weapon, and came in very handy with the deathclaws. The Legendary Boatfly in OWB ate about 20 direct hits with that thing BTW... anyone else try to fight it?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Friar Zucchini posted:

Welp. Guess there is something I'm missing out on. I think I'll live though. And a correction for above, since that screenshot reminds me - The .45 is just for melee. The missile launcher is my primary :tviv: weapon, and came in very handy with the deathclaws. The Legendary Boatfly in OWB ate about 20 direct hits with that thing BTW... anyone else try to fight it?

When I found it never attacked me, no matter where I went, the fight with it just consisted of my standing slightly nearby, filling it full of holorifle shots.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
I just remembered angry Victor showed up in the teaser trailer, but wasn't in the game at all, nor could I find him in the files.

I wonder if there's anyway to get the clean version out of their vaults, as well as if it was going to be used for anything or if it was just for the teaser.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
Angry Victor haunts my nightmares.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Friar Zucchini posted:

The Legendary Boatfly in OWB ate about 20 direct hits with that thing BTW... anyone else try to fight it?

When I got my sawed off

Legendary bloat flies get hauled off

It took a long loving time. :haw:

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

lovely Wizard posted:

I just remembered angry Victor showed up in the teaser trailer, but wasn't in the game at all, nor could I find him in the files.

I wonder if there's anyway to get the clean version out of their vaults, as well as if it was going to be used for anything or if it was just for the teaser.

Must be in there somewhere, since I've had this on my wallpaper rotation for quite a while.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mr. House's original end-game screen was much more...disturbing.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

PBJ posted:

That was meant to be his main "face" at one point, until the team more or less went "wait, that's the creepiest thing we've ever graced the world with, let's tone it down a bit eh?" *

* going from memory, I think rope kid might have mentioned that on Formspring or somewhere else and frankly now I'm feeling creepy for remembering a bit of meaningless video game trivia so I'll stop.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.
He looks like Mister Rogers, the Cenobite.

BodineWilson
Dec 21, 2009

PBJ posted:

Oh wow! that is so much better than the one they actually ended up using. I love that insane-terror-vibe he exudes. It is really over the top, but it feels very 'Fallout' to me.

I supposed though no sane player would possibly side with him though, what with him looking like that.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

BodineWilson posted:

Oh wow! that is so much better than the one they actually ended up using. I love that insane-terror-vibe he exudes. It is really over the top, but it feels very 'Fallout' to me.

I supposed though no sane player would possibly side with him though, what with him looking like that.

Eh, I don't think that image fits the character, or fallout in general really. Say what you will about House but I don't think he deserves to look like a pedophile!

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
I would play a Fallout game where you can side with John Waters

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Friar Zucchini posted:

That big Bloatfly was pretty neat. Had to lob like 6 or 7 mini nukes of different varieties (okay mostly tiny tots) to down the thing. It was the one time it felt worth having Esther around. Still probably not worth the million caps or whatever it was.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Just finished Dead Money, very atmospheric and enjoyable, but I'm glad it's over.

Got all the gold, now to just fast tr...

You cannot fast travel while overencumbered.

This is going to be a long walk.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Fellwenner posted:

Just finished Dead Money, very atmospheric and enjoyable, but I'm glad it's over.

Got all the gold, now to just fast tr...

You cannot fast travel while overencumbered.

This is going to be a long walk.

Or, for some, a long haul...

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I bought the Ultimate edition on the Steam Summer sale, and after 69 hours, finished. I never finished Fallout 1, 2 or 3, and I did all the DLC too. Missed about a dozen locations - never did the Powder Gangers, or the Radioactive Vault. I finished Cass, Veronica and my Dog, but I lost both Cass and my Dog when I went to the Sierra Madra, and never found them again. After I did Lonesome Road, I picked up Edi from Primm and walked through the final battle of the Dam in a breeze - it was much easier than the DLC battles. I was surprised at the end you throw the NCR General off the Dam, but Kaiser Wilhem never makes an appearance? The Legate died to a two maxed shot sniper. His body was never found after it fell off the cliff on fire from an Inferno .50 cal round. I spent some time searching for it!

I thought Lonesome Road was the weakest DLC - the antagonist hates you for what I think is a dumb reason, and has the worst voice I had to listen to in the entire game, and it's all very linear. I killed him just so I didn't have to put up with his gravel voice. However, I am very glad there is a valid choice on what to do at the end - the choices in the game are quite defining, and the best part of the game. I now regret not kickstarting Wasteland II.

Old World Blues was the most amusing, I just wish there had been less talking at the start and more exploring before the hour long info dump, which took a lot of the comedy away because it went on for so long.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Aug 9, 2013

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Comstar posted:

I bought the Ultimate edition on the Steam Summer sale, and after 69 hours, finished. I never finished Fallout 1, 2 or 3, and I did all the DLC too. Missed about a dozen locations - never did the Powder Gangers, or the Radioactive Vault. I finished Cass, Veronica and my Dog, but I lost both Cass and my Dog when I went to the Sierra Madra, and never found them again. After I did Lonesome Road, I picked up Edi from Primm and walked through the final battle of the Dam in a breeze - it was much easier than the DLC battles. I was surprised at the end you throw the NCR General off the Dam, but Kaiser Wilhem never makes an appearance? The Legate died to a two maxed shot sniper. His body was never found after it fell off the cliff on fire from an Inferno .50 cal round. I spent some time searching for it!

I thought Lonesome Road was the weakest DLC - the antagonist hates you for what I think is a dumb reason, and has the worst voice I had to listen to in the entire game, and it's all very linear. However, I am very glad there is a valid choice on what to do at the end - the choices in the game are quite defining, and the best part of the game. I now regret not kickstarting Wasteland II.

I'm probably nearing 70 hours myself and I've only done Dead Money. As for Cass and My Dog, check out Mojave Outpost/The Kings base in freeside. They go back to where you found them. It more or less dismisses your companions.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
I actually just found that Mysterious Cavern, and wandered in. I thought the Legendary Bloatfly would go down with a few shots just like the rest of its family... That didn't end well. So I took a different approach.

Edit: I just realized it dropped a ton of Buffout and Psycho... BOROUS! :argh:

Llab fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

m.hache posted:

I'm probably nearing 70 hours myself and I've only done Dead Money. As for Cass and My Dog, check out Mojave Outpost/The Kings base in freeside. They go back to where you found them. It more or less dismisses your companions.

Or use the companion dismissal terminal at the Gun Runners kiosk.