Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I don't even know what they'll do with all the Dornishfolk. Maybe whittle them down to Arianne, Doran, and one main Sand Snake?

What about Dorkstar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

He'll be played by Khal Drogo's actor in new makeup and no one will notice.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

No no, get Michael Shannon. Then everyone will get all amped because Michael loving Shannon's on the scene, and then ~Darkstar~

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

or Ron Perlman. Same difference. Bonus points if they just announce Perlman's involved and everyone speculates Victarion or even Euron and then *BAM* Darkstar.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Victarion is pretty much a republican.

A woman-hating sexless homophobe who was cuckolded by his brother so he murders as many poor and disadvantaged people as possible to feel like a big man.

He's Rick Santorum in a suit of armor instead of a sweater vest.

Only if Littlefinger is Anthony Weiner.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

I just discovered the bookstore I work at has a signed copy of The Pear-Shaped man in the warehouse. Kinda nervous to go in there now.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

No no, get Michael Shannon. Then everyone will get all amped because Michael loving Shannon's on the scene, and then ~Darkstar~

He's already starring on an infinitely better HBO show. That'd be like downgrading from an Aston Martin to a Fiat Multipla, of which the on-board navigation system tells you to "play with her arse" instead of giving you the right directions.

captain platypus
Aug 30, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Tochiazuma posted:

Fifty bajillion characters in this series and the only two I'm left giving a poo poo about are Asha and Arya.

I'd care what happens to Tyrion if I thought there was a hope of anything happening to him in the next 4000 pages

Essos is where interesting plotlines go to die. RIP Victarion :(

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

captain platypus posted:

Essos is where interesting plotlines go to die. RIP Victarion :(

Barristan didn't become a POV character until Essos and is now one of the best ones so that directly contradicts your statement.

captain platypus
Aug 30, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Joramun posted:

Barristan didn't become a POV character until Essos and is now one of the best ones so that directly contradicts your statement.

He's an awesome character, but he's still tied to Dany making GBS threads in the Sea of Grass.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
I like Victarion's little multi-denominational ceremony. He's a badass viking, but that doesn't mean he isn't respectful of the faiths of his crew!

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Maybe there's hope, maybe Victarion being down with the red god means he's going to inevitably join Stannis and maybe Stannis gets some poo poo down, but more than likely they'll both be selected to fly two dragons and have to suicide bomb themselves by flying them into the twins. Because the red god is Allah you see.

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013
I almost want to skip the Dany chapters in Dance because the fawning about Daario reads like a bad anime fanfiction.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

or Ron Perlman. Same difference. Bonus points if they just announce Perlman's involved and everyone speculates Victarion or even Euron and then *BAM* Darkstar.

Love me some Ronnis The Perlmannis. It would be perfect for the show people to put him in as a pretty boy. Just for loving with the absolute fucker, never mind those gross book readers.

Joramun posted:

He's already starring on an infinitely better HBO show. That'd be like downgrading from an Aston Martin to a Fiat Multipla, of which the on-board navigation system tells you to "play with her arse" instead of giving you the right directions.

Laughing pretty hard at this.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Gygaxian posted:

I almost want to skip the Dany chapters in Dance because the fawning about Daario reads like a bad anime fanfiction.

Do it; read the first and last 2 paragraphs of every one of her chapters only. Except for (I think) the second to last where something actually happens; read that one it was pretty good.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hunky Joe posted:

Even odder is why they have a roaring lion (Lannister) sigil branded into their asses.

maybe its the ones who have been made into a lannister bitch at some point? And we just can't see robbs/sansa's b/c of positioning and clothing. Basically everyone except Jon and Rickon? I dont know I'm reaching here.

Vic's the nutjob who wears full plate armour at all times, especially while on a boat. He's the bestest.

I like how the _other_ red priest maybe thinks Vic is also Azhor Ahai. I guess they are way ahead of me on that tip though: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Azor_Ahai/Theories#Victarion_Greyjoy

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

kcroy posted:

maybe its the ones who have been made into a lannister bitch at some point? And we just can't see robbs/sansa's b/c of positioning and clothing. Basically everyone except Jon and Rickon? I dont know I'm reaching here.

I think it's just a poorly modified heraldic lion meant to represent a dire wolf.

Finished my combined Feast/Dance re-read last night. I'd say it was better than reading them separately because at least I had some inkling of what everyone was up to, and didn't have to wait for the twists to be revealed in the next book. On the other hand, it was a bit tough to get involved in certain characters' storylines, as they had so few chapters. Overall there are just way too many POV characters in the series, so I could see a few more getting the proverbial or literal axe early on in the (Words are) Winds of Winter.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
Well aren't you lucky! The next book will have zero POVs!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Joramun posted:

Are you suggesting that a Fiat Italian-made car anything would malfunction? Blasphemy!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Joramun posted:

He's already starring on an infinitely better HBO show.

Darkstar is a dayplayer role at best. He hangs around a firepit on a soundstage with a sunset-lit cyclorama in the background, eats a mutton leg or something, talks smack about his shitfucking baby loser cousin goddamn bitch Arthur "Sword of the Boring, am I right?" Dayne, and cuts off a little girl's ear before running shrieking into the desert.

Shannon can spare an afternoon or two for that.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Gygaxian posted:

Isn't she about 15 when she fucks Daario? Apparently in GRRM's mind statuary rape isn't that bad if the victim is really into it.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Ah, she enjoyed being raped by Drogo when she was 13, got banged by Irri at 15. Dany gets around a lot.

Skeleton Jelly
Jul 1, 2011

Kids in the street drinking wine, on the sidewalk.
Saving the plans that we made, 'till its night time.
Give me your glass, its your last, you're too wasted.
Or get me one too, 'cause I'm due any tasting.

Alhazred posted:

Isn't she about 15 when she fucks Daario? Apparently in GRRM's mind statuary rape isn't that bad if the victim is really into it.

To be fair, 15 isn't statutory rape in a lot of countries, even including ones in Western Europe and Latin America to this date. The fact that the Gurm likes to write about sex lives of 15 year-olds is creepy as hell, but statutory rape isn't really a clear-cut line like that.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

Skeleton Jelly posted:

To be fair, 15 isn't statutory rape in a lot of countries, even including ones in Western Europe and Latin America to this date. The fact that the Gurm likes to write about sex lives of 15 year-olds is creepy as hell, but statutory rape isn't really a clear-cut line like that.

I think the statute in ASOIF is that one must be raped by age 15.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Skeleton Jelly posted:

Coincidentally, these are the countries GRRM's touring to promote his new volume of Tyrion quotes.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

GRRM is a firm believer in "it's not rape if she enjoys it".

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

IRQ posted:

Are you suggesting that a Fiat Italian-made car anything would malfunction? Blasphemy!

I love Italian cars, but this is a multipla. It's both a horrendously bad and horrendously ugly car, severely lacking the gusto most Italian cars have.

Fun fact: The exhaust system in a multipla tends to fill up with condensation. If you live somewhere cold, it might freeze in the winter resulting in an explosion that will take your roof of.

Edit:

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

All of my life I have dreamt of a car that feels a certain way...

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Anders posted:

I love Italian cars, but this is a multipla. It's both a horrendously bad and horrendously ugly car, severely lacking the gusto most Italian cars have.

Fun fact: The exhaust system in a multipla tends to fill up with condensation. If you live somewhere cold, it might freeze in the winter resulting in an explosion that will take your roof of.

Edit:

Who thought that design was even remotely acceptable? Even the Nissan Cube and the Kia/Honda/Scion SUVs (the S stands for shamefully ugly) that are slightly less ugly than it look like Porsches by comparison. Hell even the Aztek looks good next to that.

I bet Gurm drives one.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

IRQ posted:

Who thought that design was even remotely acceptable? Even the Nissan Cube and the Kia/Honda/Scion SUVs (the S stands for shamefully ugly) that are slightly less ugly than it look like Porsches by comparison. Hell even the Aztek looks good next to that.

I bet Gurm drives one.

It is wearing a shamefully scanty bonnet. And you know he likes having sex in a very uncomfortable place.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Now I really want to know what GRRM drives. Other than the windowless white panel van. I mean what's his normal car for the non-abduction errands.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I dunno, I feel like GRRM is the kind of guy who bought a sporty car decades ago and just refuses to give it up despite his unseemly girth and improbable mass obliterating even the potential for shocks back in the 90's, leaving the driver's seat permanently reclined into the rear passenger compartment.

He most likely drives a 1984 Toyota Celica.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Now I really want to know what GRRM drives. Other than the windowless white panel van. I mean what's his normal car for the non-abduction errands.

According to this article from a year ago, he didn't have a car at the time but was looking into buying a Mercedes Benz. I guess he just uses taxis so he can strike up uncomfortable conversations with the drivers.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Civilized Fishbot posted:

According to this article from a year ago, he didn't have a car at the time but was looking into buying a Mercedes Benz. I guess he just uses taxis so he can strike up uncomfortable conversations with the drivers.

God, he actually went for a GRRMier option than the bad thread could make up.

Poe's Law in full effect.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Whatever it is I'm sure it goes great for the first part of the drive, then the steering wheel falls off and it just spins in circles going nowhere.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tochiazuma posted:

Whatever it is I'm sure it goes great for the first part of the drive, then the steering wheel falls off and it just spins in circles going nowhere.

And yet "somehow" manages to end up at a 15 y/o girl's house* with a Gamecube and a sixer of Mike's Hard Lemonade.

"Officer I don't know how I got here. I was watching a Jets game, next thing I know I have burning desire sensation to go for a spin."

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Gygaxian posted:

Skip them in Dance? gently caress, I've been skipping them ALL on my rerereadthrough, and the story is so much better for their omission.

He most likely drives an AMC Pacer.

ftfy

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 9, 2013

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Wouldn't GRRM be rolling in dollars these days? Surely he would have upgraded his mode of transportation in response?

I'm thinking a tricked out Hummer, or some other rather large vehicle proper for a man of his girth and wealth.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Fiat made some horrendous design choices all through the 90s/00s.

Grum would drive a Mazda Miata

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

syscall girl posted:

And you know he likes having sex in a very uncomfortable place.

Comic-con?