Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

LibbyM posted:

Can the enemy ai run out of population during a battle too?

Yes, once the recruit pool is gone, they're stuck with what they have. If their reserves hit 0 after that, they usually surrender pretty quickly.

Woah, time to fight Corvus! Does using him during chapter 2 effect chapter 3 at all?

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

LibbyM posted:

It's a shared pool, so yeah. Also, is it wrong that the smug, pompous, bigot is my favorite character? Must be that monocle. :allears:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If you stop to think about it, that you can force surrender by dragging on the battle to the point where you've depleted the population of the surrounding countryside is pretty horrific.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

A Steampunk Gent posted:

If you stop to think about it, that you can force surrender by dragging on the battle to the point where you've depleted the population of the surrounding countryside is pretty horrific.

Not if it's because you took all of the recruitment points and they're all sitting in your reserves. :getin:

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Rookersh posted:

To be fair, you set up a Democracy with no term limit, and you just finished saving the world/have popular support. You'll still rule for life, your children just won't be able to kill you to rule.
Actually no. The dwarf gets voted into office, or at least he did in my game. He somehow "mysteriously" got 100% of the vote in many districts.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

A Steampunk Gent posted:

On that note, I like how the upper right corner of the newspaper has a running death toll for the war you're waging throughout your campaign. It gives it a sense of gravity (in contrast to the fact that none of the soldiers in the game actually look like living things)

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Brainamp posted:

It's a shared pool, so yeah. Also, is it wrong that the smug, pompous, bigot is my favorite character? Must be that monocle. :allears:

He's my favorite after Scarlet

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I checked the new version of Hard difficulty. The enemy AI now starts with 4 hunters on their capital, and 2 Hunters on the territory right next to your capital. ... I'm at 20 turns in Chapter 1 on the pre-patch version of Hard. I am NOT restarting on an even harder version of Hard, at least not yet.

I also decided to stop going 100% for the Undead because holy crap, that hurts my standing with the Elves and Lizards way too much. Also, they are horrible, insufferable assholes.

LibbyM posted:

Definitely, although maybe not on "Insane" difficulty. That's one of the clearest ways to win, in fact.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
Okay, playing a naval battle which I technically have won (my ironclads beat their actual battleships or whatever). However, I cannot shoot down the shamans leading to an eternal stalemate. Is there any way to end this?

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to

A Dapper Walrus posted:

Okay, playing a naval battle which I technically have won (my ironclads beat their actual battleships or whatever). However, I cannot shoot down the shamans leading to an eternal stalemate. Is there any way to end this?

Don't RTS naval battles was my solution

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm sure I had a boat shooting missiles at me while in Dragon form once. I can't remember what kind of boat but something was definitely doing it, one of the ships must have anti-air.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

A Dapper Walrus posted:

You could retreat and hope that saves your ships, but good find. I've posted that as a bug on the Larian forums. RTS Naval battles are much harder, the AI can use its skills very well there, and you can't use the Dragon.

Ainsley McTree, Transports have anti-air, Ironclads are the only unit which can hit water, but not land units. Ironclads can attack air units, but Shamans and Warlocks don't count as air units, they're amphibious.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Holy poo poo, the RTS battles get hard at chapter 3. I can't see a way to feasibly win them, my starting units get wiped out before I have time to get my dragon out, or even a battle forge.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Hmm, wonder why they made hard mode even harder. It's actually pretty challenging even in its present form.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I'm doing pretty well on the commanding front, but every time I morph into Dragon form I get absolutely clowned. Can you select buildings while in dragon form? It's very unwieldly overall.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm doing pretty well on the commanding front, but every time I morph into Dragon form I get absolutely clowned. Can you select buildings while in dragon form? It's very unwieldly overall.

Z/x/c/v are the hotkeys for factories, then it'll give you the hotkeys for units in the lower right part of the screen.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
Does the hard changes affect the custom maps or just the regular campaign? I like the massive maps but the ai just doesn't expand aggressively enough to be a challenge. Misread the patch notes, I hope the future patch can tweak how hard you can make the custom maps.

Turncoat Mommy fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 7, 2013

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Z/x/c/v are the hotkeys for factories, then it'll give you the hotkeys for units in the lower right part of the screen.

Biggest problem I'm having right now is it seems like the Dragon just needs to get entirely too close for his fireballs to connect. So close that exploding is inevitable.

Do the different dragons have different projectile ranges?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Rascyc posted:

Hmm, wonder why they made hard mode even harder. It's actually pretty challenging even in its present form.

I agree. It's a lot harder than I'm used to from the beta version of Hard. I've passed that along. Well, a suggestion to have the "new" Hard mode be "Harder" mode instead of replacing Hard.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Another way is to put all your buildings on a 1-0 hotkey, and tab between them.

Lazy Programming posted:

Does the hard changes affect the custom maps or just the regular campaign? I like the massive maps but the ai just doesn't expand aggressively enough to be a challenge.

I just checked. Yes, it does.

Before this patch, the Hard story chapter 1 campaign had no enemy Hunters, now it does. The custom campaign for the Chapter 1 map now also has the extra Hunters on Hard. I'm not so sure about other map's different changes.

Biggest problem I'm having right now is it seems like the Dragon just needs to get entirely too close for his fireballs to connect. So close that exploding is inevitable.

I don't think so, but you can get a skill to shield yourself, a skill to heal yourself, a skill to make yourself invisible, a skill to completely paralyze enemies, or a skill to just merely make them unable to shoot or use abilities.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 8, 2013

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

As near as I can tell, no, but when you're going in on an attack run you want to go in and use the RMB dodge a LOT, then bug out with your jetpack and quickly despawn to avoid all the missiles. I think some of the abilities like Pillar of Fire have more range than the fireball does, though.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I don't understand the ocean battles. I guess those exist to kill your boats no matter what? That seems kind of dumb.

The enemy rolls up with 6 different warships and battleboats or whatever and I have a transport, just the one. Is there a way to avoid this?

Do I have to reload to an earlier save if I don't have any gold to buy battleboats of my own?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Is the population depleted and you've killed their army, or are otherwise at a massive advantage? I know that there's some kind of loss condition where your population is below 10%.
Yeah, I got a battle earlier where I had it yelling at me that my army was less than 11% of the total army, so I'd lose soon!

Of course this was in a territory which had been a constant battleground for a few turns so the population was very low, so I went dragon and murdered enemy troops until I was okay again.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Drifter posted:

I don't understand the ocean battles. I guess those exist to kill your boats no matter what? That seems kind of dumb.

The enemy rolls up with 6 different warships and battleboats or whatever and I have a transport, just the one. Is there a way to avoid this?

Do I have to reload to an earlier save if I don't have any gold to buy battleboats of my own?
Yes you need naval units to protect your transports if there are enemy ships sailing around.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zereth posted:

Yeah, I got a battle earlier where I had it yelling at me that my army was less than 11% of the total army, so I'd lose soon!

Of course this was in a territory which had been a constant battleground for a few turns so the population was very low, so I went dragon and murdered enemy troops until I was okay again.

I don't think you can lose if you have any of the tier 3 AoE skills and a good entrenchment bonus so you can get the dragon out early. And if you have both Eye of the Patriarch and Pillar of Fire, hoooooboy, they don't stand a chance.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I like this game but I don't really like the parts where it's a game. Like, the world map just feels like busy work, redefending the same provinces repeatedly. The actual ingame battle system is alright but way to simplistic to be interesting for more then a couple battles in a row.

But I'm really enjoying the rpg aspect and making all the political decisions and that stuff.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Dragon Commander on Destructoid (Twitch TV). Live stream on now!

:stare:

That was the most incredible comeback I've ever seen.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 8, 2013

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011

LibbyM posted:

I like this game but I don't really like the parts where it's a game. Like, the world map just feels like busy work, redefending the same provinces repeatedly. The actual ingame battle system is alright but way to simplistic to be interesting for more then a couple battles in a row.

But I'm really enjoying the rpg aspect and making all the political decisions and that stuff.

I was feeling the same way, but now that I knocked down the difficult a bit and have a bunch of Master-Level dragon powers, the game is a great way to relieve stress. Just go on down and burn the ever loving hell out of a gigantic army.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Man, I keep getting crashes on this game where it just goes to desktop. :( is this a known issue? I saw some posts on the forum as well as a potential fix (turning down graphical settings) but it didn't work.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

A Dapper Walrus posted:

I was feeling the same way, but now that I knocked down the difficult a bit and have a bunch of Master-Level dragon powers, the game is a great way to relieve stress. Just go on down and burn the ever loving hell out of a gigantic army.

Probably going to do much the same here. Playing it on Normal, the actual GAME isn't really any fun. It's just...tedious. I want to politick really, the RTS isn't that compelling and that's a shame.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
I've been playing on normal, been having fun so far but the game seems quite difficult even on normal. On the risk map the enemy always has a billion soldiers on me, the only time I can beat them risk-map style is with mercs or if they decide to send like just one guy for some reason then I can beat him and only lose half my team if i pay a general a decent sum of cash.

The RTS maps are weird, I've been abusing The warlocks (the stealth is insanely good and as far as i can tell only hunters see through it?) and the dragon to win even 0%s a bunch of times, but that's just one battle out of usually at least 2 if not 3, and the enemy always just has such overwhelming numbers on the risk map even if i keep winning 75% of the battles(all the dragon battles except for the ones that are reallllly stacked, and then risk battles when I have luck or mercs), it's so weird it feels like I'm supposed to have way more troops on the risk map or something.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

goldjas posted:

I've been playing on normal, been having fun so far but the game seems quite difficult even on normal. On the risk map the enemy always has a billion soldiers on me, the only time I can beat them risk-map style is with mercs or if they decide to send like just one guy for some reason then I can beat him and only lose half my team if i pay a general a decent sum of cash.

The RTS maps are weird, I've been abusing The warlocks (the stealth is insanely good and as far as i can tell only hunters see through it?) and the dragon to win even 0%s a bunch of times, but that's just one battle out of usually at least 2 if not 3, and the enemy always just has such overwhelming numbers on the risk map even if i keep winning 75% of the battles(all the dragon battles except for the ones that are reallllly stacked, and then risk battles when I have luck or mercs), it's so weird it feels like I'm supposed to have way more troops on the risk map or something.

I think you are. I think the game expects you to buy lots of troops and group them together for attacks.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Drifter posted:

I think you are. I think the game expects you to buy lots of troops and group them together for attacks.

In chapter 2 I've been buying as many troops as possible every turn, and am still rediculously outnumbered in troops on the turn based map. Which leads to me having to manually defend many battles with the Dragon. The enemies start out with way higher potential than you for troop producing, and you have to really grind through the map.
I wouldn't call it hard, just slow and tedious.
I think I will try turning down the difficulty and having a chill dragon time next time I play.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

LibbyM posted:

In chapter 2 I've been buying as many troops as possible every turn, and am still rediculously outnumbered in troops on the turn based map. Which leads to me having to manually defend many battles with the Dragon. The enemies start out with way higher potential than you for troop producing, and you have to really grind through the map.
I wouldn't call it hard, just slow and tedious.
I think I will try turning down the difficulty and having a chill dragon time next time I play.

Taverns. Merc cards are a major game changer, especially in autoresolve fights. Way stronger than the other boosts, and they let you double your forces or put some good hard counters in when you need it. Don't underestimate entrenchment for defense, either, it can nearly double the amount of units on hand in a defensive battle. I had a high motivation level, so my entrenchment went up so fast it was hard to take territory from me once I took it.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
I've gotten to chapter two of the game. I'm getting my butt kicked! I can play other RTS games like SC2 but I don't really get this game. What kind of unit compositions are good? I just make units and they sort of ram into the opposing army then mine all end up dying. Maybe I should change it to easy from normal. On another note, I'm liking the political decisions in the game however, the only people I really can agree with and/or like are Prospera, Oberon, and Catherine. Everyone I'm either indifferent to or a religious fanatic and hate with all my guts. Although I am starting to warm up to the rest of my generals.

But I still really despise Yorick and that killed my popularity with the undead. After reading through this thread, most people chose the undead princess. Am I the only one that found Camilla to be the only interesting one? Also what are some good dragon skills to pick up? I've so far been picking up utility skills for my troops but I assume pure damage would be better?

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Even on easy the enemy can outproduce you by an insane amount. The second world/level/whatever of the campaign and the first battle on about turn three where I had two transports already and managed to build three ironclads something like six juggernauts and about twelve assorted ironclads and transports on two enemy teams steam in to attack me.

On another note, how the hell do you get a transport to arrive and unload its cargo on the same turn? the enemy AI can do this and steal provinces like crazy, but it will not let me do this and it always takes two turns to take a province.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I love this game, but I'm having so much trouble with the difficulty and it's super depressing. I'm tempted to just set it to casual and play cruise control or something because even on normal I get my rear end kicked.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

King Doom posted:

On another note, how the hell do you get a transport to arrive and unload its cargo on the same turn? the enemy AI can do this and steal provinces like crazy, but it will not let me do this and it always takes two turns to take a province.

Right-click the transport. This works even when they're grey and all moves are spent.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Finished up my first play through, this game is easily my surpise of the year. No way did I expect them to deliver to the degree they did on so many levels.

That said I really hope it sells well enough to merit a sequal. Much as I enjoyed it there is so much room for improvement in so many places, most notably the RTS side of things. Reminds me a lot of the first Mass Effect, an unquestioably positive experience, but could be so much better with some polish and refinement.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

Finished up my first play through, this game is easily my surpise of the year. No way did I expect them to deliver to the degree they did on so many levels.

That said I really hope it sells well enough to merit a sequal. Much as I enjoyed it there is so much room for improvement in so many places, most notably the RTS side of things. Reminds me a lot of the first Mass Effect, an unquestioably positive experience, but could be so much better with some polish and refinement.

Yeah, I'm of the same mind, but I'd really like if the political game had more punch to it. Like straight up "oh no you pissed off the elves I guess we're just going to straight up forget to send food to your major armies" or something, thus making all of your dudes sluggish or prone to desertion or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, more impact from the politics side of things would be great too. Like with the generals, you get the chance to send them out on missions to gain skills and raise standing with the various races. The down side is supposed to be that you don't get to use them for a few turns on the stratigic map, but since you can only use generals once per turn and you never have all four leave at once there's no good reason to not send them out whenever the opertunity presents its self.

• Locked thread