Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yessss, Chris Foss/Peter Elson style striping. :allears:

Dr.Oblivious posted:

I just now noticed this from the new gifs, but what happened to the gunsights?

You can see the gunsight on the fighter he overshoots (which he is targeting) right at the beginning of the gif. It doens't display after because its not on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
My only wish in all of this is that I can mod in new ships and stuff to toss into the game because I've always wanted to design a fleet of ships and then get the ability to BLOW THEM ALL UP!

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Dr.Oblivious posted:

I just now noticed this from the new gifs, but what happened to the gunsights?

The gyro gunsight is still in there, just turned off for this weapon currently. Some testers really like it, others hate it, so I'm still trying to figure out what to do with it. It might be wrapped into difficulty mode settings.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

When you say it might be wrapped into difficulty mode settings, do you mean that it would be automatically enabled on some difficulties and disabled on others, but you couldn't control the setting beyond that? Given that some people like it and some hate it, but not necessarily for difficulty based reasons, it might be nicer just to have it as an on/off option in a menu somewhere without having to increase the difficulty of the rest of the game to get rid of it. :shobon:

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

Zaodai posted:

When you say it might be wrapped into difficulty mode settings, do you mean that it would be automatically enabled on some difficulties and disabled on others, but you couldn't control the setting beyond that? Given that some people like it and some hate it, but not necessarily for difficulty based reasons, it might be nicer just to have it as an on/off option in a menu somewhere without having to increase the difficulty of the rest of the game to get rid of it. :shobon:

I'll probably end up doing that, but part of me likes pushing advanced players out of their comfort zones a little bit. Plus, I favor the gyro sight, though I see why people might not dig it. I don't have to make that decision for a while though. :)

Kairo fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 5, 2013

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Regardless of what you end up deciding, I hope when you release a new video of the game (whenever that is), you'll enable the gun sights so we'll able to see them in action. :allears:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Kairo posted:

I'll probably end up doing that, but part of me likes pushing advanced players out of their comfort zones a little bit. Plus, I favor the gyro sight, though I see why people might not dig it. I don't have to make that decision for a while though. :)

Well, even if you decide to disable it at higher difficulties, could you at least give us the option to disable it manually at lower difficulties? I'm one of those people that would likely prefer not to use it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Is this going to have TrackIR support? Please say yes.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Colon Semicolon posted:

My only wish in all of this is that I can mod in new ships and stuff to toss into the game because I've always wanted to design a fleet of ships and then get the ability to BLOW THEM ALL UP!

I'm also wondering about this. I really dig your art style but it would be cool to add new stuff after a while, I imagine. Plus it's a sure way of increasing the longevity of the game.

What's interesting to me about this game is how simple (not technically, of course) the graphics are. Yet everyone, including me, is ohing and awing over these gifs. It just seems to have a these little details right, much like Freespace.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Kairo posted:

Yes, that frigate in the background behind the destroyer is specifically a beam ship like that:

I just need to write some special case code for my projectiles to handle sustained beams. I prototyped it long ago, so it shouldn't be too bad bringing it forward.

God drat, i loves me some homeworld style ion cannons, but i hope its more like Freespace 2's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=UBDY2kyiw6g&t=687

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2U0iE6mW100&t=47

The effects and sound are just goose-bump inducing. :swoon:

epmode
Feb 11, 2008

It's astonishing how good this looks for a one-man production. The Homeworld aesthetic will live on, FINALLY.

I guess I should be excited about Hardware as well but I'm going to need to see more.

Walamor
Dec 31, 2006

Fork 'em Devils!

Shadowmorn posted:

God drat, i loves me some homeworld style ion cannons, but i hope its more like Freespace 2's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=UBDY2kyiw6g&t=687

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2U0iE6mW100&t=47

The effects and sound are just goose-bump inducing. :swoon:

They look pretty much the same to me as HW ion cannons, what am I missing?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I wonder what happens when your ship dies? Just once I'd like a space sim that ejects me into the wild black to either get shot, rescued, captured, or suffocated, rather than be treated to an external shot of my ship blowing up.

e: that is, if I'm to be treated to a shot of my ship exploding, it would be neat to be doing so as an ejectee.

Watching the development of this game just turns me into a demanding and gibbering nine-year-old who just got back from the arcade. Can't wait to see this thing in a playable state.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 8, 2013

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

doctorfrog posted:

I wonder what happens when your ship dies? Just once I'd like a space sim that ejects me into the wild black to either get shot, rescued, captured, or suffocated, rather than be treated to an external shot of my ship blowing up.

e: that is, if I'm to be treated to a shot of my ship exploding, it would be neat to be doing so as an ejectee.
Since there's game-over permadeath, it would be sweet if a possible response to your ship being destroyed would be to eject and call a wingman for pickup. Hopefully with a sweet "watch your ship explode after you bail" camera.

I feel like something along those lines might be needed to offset the the permadeath factor. In a fast action oriented game I don't want to have to be super-cautious. But it would kinda suck to lose a game because you were flying too aggressively and had your personal ship shot down.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Klyith posted:

Since there's game-over permadeath, it would be sweet if a possible response to your ship being destroyed would be to eject and call a wingman for pickup. Hopefully with a sweet "watch your ship explode after you bail" camera.

I feel like something along those lines might be needed to offset the the permadeath factor. In a fast action oriented game I don't want to have to be super-cautious. But it would kinda suck to lose a game because you were flying too aggressively and had your personal ship shot down.

This is becoming increasingly blue-sky, but I'd love to see this implemented, if not in this game, then some other. Not only could you potentially be rescued during or after a battle, but you could also rescue buddies yourself. Maybe even recover some bits of that pricy craft of yours. When ejected, you'd have some control over your pod/seat, maybe have some emergency systems to deal with. All without ever leaving the first-person POV.

However, I trust that the game is being balanced with permadeath firmly in mind, and having an extensive pilot-in-distress game mechanic wouldn't be necessary to keep people playing.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Walamor posted:

For me, it's the sounds, sweet Jesus I love the sounds of the beams in FS2.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
X-Wing, Wing Commander, et al. had ejection, rescue, capture, etc. 20 years ago. IIRC in WC2 if you had a bomber with a tractor beam you could rescue ejected pilots.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Although they weren't always super detailed. X-Wing's "ejection" and so on was just a cutscene that played after you died.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
What would be excellent about an ejection is if you heard the normal in-game sounds, then an explosion and rush of gas escaping as you actually ejected, followed by a few seconds of silence before the radio kicked back in and you could hear squadmates.

Sorry for adding to the pile of requests; you probably haven't even started thinking about the audio of the game yet.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Walamor posted:

how they're used, mainly. they are powerful enough to make you poo poo your pants. if there's a single enemy beam shooting at your capships it means you have hosed up and better recover fast. that + the loving sound makes them scary as poo poo and very atmospheric. homeworld ion cannons look neat but don't have the same "oh poo poo" factor

e: to add to the atmospheric thing, a big portion of freespace 2 was played in this nebula where your vision and sensors is reduced and seeing a big fuckoff beam come out of the mist meant there was some kind of monster out there just outside your view range.

e2: freespace style beams might not be the best choice for this game though

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Aug 8, 2013

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

TheDemon posted:

I'd love to see Freespace flak though. Nothing like getting in range of a capship and having your ship shake violently and your vision light up from AA.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

TheDemon posted:

how they're used, mainly. they are powerful enough to make you poo poo your pants. if there's a single enemy beam shooting at your capships it means you have hosed up and better recover fast. that + the loving sound makes them scary as poo poo and very atmospheric. homeworld ion cannons look neat but don't have the same "oh poo poo" factor

e: to add to the atmospheric thing, a big portion of freespace 2 was played in this nebula where your vision and sensors is reduced and seeing a big fuckoff beam come out of the mist meant there was some kind of monster out there just outside your view range.

Freespace beams were atmospheric perfection but in gameplay terms a bit too powerful for my taste (I get why - it's to make sure the missions are paced right). Ships die in seconds and there isn't really any sense of a contest between them - in Freespace one Capital was always far more powerful than it's opponent. I'd like to see big ships blasting corvettes like in the gif, but I'd also like to see prolonged duels between equally big ships blasting chunks out of each other for the length of an entire mission.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Walamor posted:

Other people answered it well, but for me its mostly the cycle time. Theres that omnious moment when you hear it spinning up and know somethings about to get its face blasted off.

Homeworld on the other hand, has beam weapons that a very similar to the "flak" lasers on Freespace 2's cap ships, quick and short blasts but kept to the profile of being a beam weapon, not a "pew pew" laser.

Alchenar posted:

Freespace beams were atmospheric perfection but in gameplay terms a bit too powerful for my taste (I get why - it's to make sure the missions are paced right). Ships die in seconds and there isn't really any sense of a contest between them - in Freespace one Capital was always far more powerful than it's opponent. I'd like to see big ships blasting corvettes like in the gif, but I'd also like to see prolonged duels between equally big ships blasting chunks out of each other for the length of an entire mission.

Agreed, the missions involving the less-powerful beam weapon exchanges against even sized warships were more satisfying then that first mission, but in fairness that ones meant to awe you, the power difference between the two ships is high.

If beam weapons were less powerful, allowing for more slugfight exchanges between even sized ships, it'd be the sweet spot for me. It means capital ships have roughly 4 types of weaponry, Anti-fighter (Flak), Main gunlines (Universal, depending on size of gun), Missiles (Universal, depending on the missile) and Beam Weaponry (Anti-Capital, Structure Killers). Resulting in a nice pallet to draw upon to making capital ships mean in their own ways, and more tactical choices for the player (Do i bring the four ion frigates for this one, the universal destroyer, or the missile destroyer?)

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 8, 2013

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I'd love to see Freespace flak though. Nothing like getting in range of a capship and having your ship shake violently and your vision light up from AA.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It looks like a nice thing to be able to do in the plan screen would be to click on an enemy ship and see the fields of fire of it's turrets so that you can work out the best attack vector.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
You know what game has good, powerful capship beams? Strike Suit Zero.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Alchenar posted:

It looks like a nice thing to be able to do in the plan screen would be to click on an enemy ship and see the fields of fire of it's turrets so that you can work out the best attack vector.

I hope if the strategic view does this, it makes a best guess based on the ship class unless you've encountered a few of them before to have complete data on it.

That way you'll still end up a bit surprised from time to time when you encounter a new model battleship or something. I'd actually be fine with either no fields of fire graphic, or one that just shows a ring around the ship listing a projected maximum range, but no specific marking for turret coverage. Then you, the player would have to learn a bit rather than looking at the wonders of soliton radar and knowing where the turrets are facing.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The Muffinlord posted:

You know what game has good, powerful capship beams? Strike Suit Zero.

I thought that game fell into the 'only the player is capable of doing anything' category.

I absolutely loved the sense of being a pilot (albeit a really good one) in a much larger military that Freespace 2 gave you. It was a real world where battles happened when you aren't around and your wingmen did poo poo and the coolest guy was called Snipes.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Zaodai posted:

I hope if the strategic view does this, it makes a best guess based on the ship class unless you've encountered a few of them before to have complete data on it.

That way you'll still end up a bit surprised from time to time when you encounter a new model battleship or something. I'd actually be fine with either no fields of fire graphic, or one that just shows a ring around the ship listing a projected maximum range, but no specific marking for turret coverage. Then you, the player would have to learn a bit rather than looking at the wonders of soliton radar and knowing where the turrets are facing.

I'd appreciate at least seeing the turret positions, if not their arcs. It seems like something that a fighter computer should be able to do; like, shoot or torpedo the one turret on the rear of the ship and then call a bomber run on that vector.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

wiegieman posted:

I'd appreciate at least seeing the turret positions, if not their arcs. It seems like something that a fighter computer should be able to do; like, shoot or torpedo the one turret on the rear of the ship and then call a bomber run on that vector.

Oh, I just meant from the strategic planning map. Once you're in range to actually scan the ship, sure. That would make complete sense. With it working the way you describe, then you'd have to make a tactical decision: Do you go in blind and retain the element of surprise bur risk jumping into heavy flak, or do you send some recon ahead to get a closer look but then have to provide better cover for the bombers on their run?

That sounds like exactly the kind of decision that makes for a great game.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Alchenar posted:

I thought that game fell into the 'only the player is capable of doing anything' category.

Oh, it suffers from that a lot, but the beams are still pretty meaty.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

adamantium|wang posted:

I want this poster loving yesterday.

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I really hope they offer prints or hi-res versions of that poster because that needs to be on my wall yesterday.

Dr.Oblivious posted:

Will you be selling posters of the cover art?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yes please. That is some classic 80s sci-fi movie poster work right there.

Twenty Drunk Apes posted:

please tell me it's possible to buy a copy that poster, I need it on my wall right now. :allears:

rizzen posted:

Jumping on the bandwagon for a kickstarter and/or poster, because god drat. These are things I need.

Fewd posted:

It would make an awesome tiered pre-order reward. I would buy it, put that fucker on my wall and force everyone ever to look at it while my 33 earth years old self would proudly stand next to it sperging about space.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

They should sell posters of that cover. :allears:

Shadowmorn posted:

I'd buy at least three. So goddamned good.

okku posted:

Is there a hi-res of that poster somewhere?

I hope Kairo doesn't mind, I upconverted the cover art, suitable for printing a 24" x 36" poster (sorry Europeans, but I'm sure you can figure out a conversion) at 300 dpi.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2V-VpuOBGpbVF9od0c5WUxfYzA/view

Obviously this isn't going to be as nice as whatever Kairo comes up with and anyone who prints using this should also buy the nice prints once Kairo makes them available.

Edit: tweaked it a bit. Even though it's an upconvert I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

Don't go by the preview version in Google Drive, you need to download it to see what it actually looks like.

Rastor fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 12, 2013

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The title of this thread made me look up Flotilla and now I'm annoyed at wasting $10 on $2 worth of game.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

TheDemon posted:

homeworld ion cannons look neat but don't have the same "oh poo poo" factor

In multiplayer the Hiigara battlecruiser could destroy a mothership in 3-4 shots of the ion cannon which was pretty scary (since it could also warp around the map.)

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

GotLag posted:

The title of this thread made me look up Flotilla and now I'm annoyed at wasting $10 on $2 worth of game.
I disliked Flotilla so much when I played the demo (which you should maybe do in the future before buying a game...) that I never bought it, until it was on sale on Steam one day and I said "well, I like the developer, might as well throw some money his way." Fast forward a couple years or something and now I'm in love with the game. Something clicked for me and I really enjoy it. So, my suggestion is wait a few months and give it another chance. It's one of the games I keep continually installed on my hard drive, because it's great to fire it up every once in a while and careen through space meeting rasta cats and blowing stuff up.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
:siren: website updated with new screens: http://enemystarfighter.com/

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
Well consider me hyped. Holy poo poo.

I love the look of those ships, keep going Kairo, you can do no wrong here.

Condoleezza Nice! fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 13, 2013

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Sexy as gently caress. Let us give you money.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
I love the very visceral sense of speed the game gives you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sonisi
Sep 25, 2008

epmode posted:

It's astonishing how good this looks for a one-man production. The Homeworld aesthetic will live on, FINALLY.

I guess I should be excited about Hardware as well but I'm going to need to see more.

I agree the game looks amazing, getting pretty excited.

I also really like the idea of being the harbinger force. Especially if when you first encounter a race you start hitting them hard at isolated convoys, mining outposts etc until you get them so mad they put together a massive fleet. Then you lead them into a dead end system and just as they think they have you - the enter system klaxon horn goes off and in jumps the empire main fleet.

Que the next few missions destroying stragglers, hunting down escaping merchant ships and raiding the enemy core worlds.

• Locked thread