Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Why does CIC and 10NES have separate Wikipedia entries? :psyduck:

CIC isn't an NES-unique thing and is a broader category that includes the 10NES. The N64, for example, also has a CIC and if you order an Everdrive 64 you have to get a CIC chip for it that matches your region's console or it won't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

univbee posted:

CIC isn't an NES-unique thing and is a broader category that includes the 10NES. The N64, for example, also has a CIC and if you order an Everdrive 64 you have to get a CIC chip for it that matches your region's console or it won't work.

Yeah I definitely heard the term CIC before in regards to the N64, but I thought those were on all carts, and not in the N64 themselves.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah I definitely heard the term CIC before in regards to the N64, but I thought those were on all carts, and not in the N64 themselves.

It's both. CIC is a handshake technology that requires an authentic cart (because it has a CIC chip) to handshake with the console (which also has a CIC chip) to boot. It's the same idea that HDCP uses today.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

univbee posted:

It's both. CIC is a handshake technology that requires an authentic cart (because it has a CIC chip) to handshake with the console (which also has a CIC chip) to boot. It's the same idea that HDCP uses today.

I guess I would like to know why the NES had both a CIC and a 10NES then.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Wait, what the heck is that Contra game? :stare:

Contra Force?!? I've never heard of that! But... then why is The Alien Wars Contra III? Shouldn't it be Super Contra IV like Castlevania then? :psyduck:

Well drat I know what NES game I'm buying next...

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.

I had a very similar issue with Yoshi's Island and Yoshi's Island only on my SNES.

quote:

Well I messed around in the XRGB Mini not thinking I'd be able to fix this (after all, it only happens during the intro to Yoshi's Island) and if I change Sync_Level to 13 it more or less fixes it. Anything higher or anything lower and it gets all jumpy again. Why only this one game at this one scene?

So give that a shot. I bet it works! By the way, no one responded to my inquiry as to why it happens and only on one game during its intro. But give it a shot and report back!

Thank you, that fixed it. Guess I should get better acquainted with the menu options it.

Sync_level was at 9, moving it to 10 reduced the jumpiness dramatically each step up increased the period between 'jumps' until 12 where it wouldn't appear before the demo started. This is how I realised that the jumpiness was only occurring during the intro and 'press start' screen. Funnily once start was pressed it went away and, like in your case, wasn't actually present during game play. This explains my previous play through with out incident. I guess I had just mashed start through the intro and only noticed it after game over.

A funny thing I noticed was that at higher Sync_level, about 12 onwards, jumpiness was starting to appear periodically during game play. Guess I'll just leave the level alone for now, unless I want to show off the sweet intro story. So, would a Sync Cleaner remove this problem completely?

As for my other issue, I've decided to audio mod and by-pass the headphone jack to see if that improves the audio quality before overclocking the Motorolla.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

Zaphod42 posted:

Wait, what the heck is that Contra game? :stare:

Contra Force?!? I've never heard of that! But... then why is The Alien Wars Contra III? Shouldn't it be Super Contra IV like Castlevania then? :psyduck:

Well drat I know what NES game I'm buying next...

Don't. It was an unrelated (and unreleased) Famicom game that Konami decided to release as a Contra game in the states. It's not very good, and is actually pretty rare.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

MediumWellDone posted:

Thank you, that fixed it. Guess I should get better acquainted with the menu options it.

Sync_level was at 9, moving it to 10 reduced the jumpiness dramatically each step up increased the period between 'jumps' until 12 where it wouldn't appear before the demo started. This is how I realised that the jumpiness was only occurring during the intro and 'press start' screen. Funnily once start was pressed it went away and, like in your case, wasn't actually present during game play. This explains my previous play through with out incident. I guess I had just mashed start through the intro and only noticed it after game over.

A funny thing I noticed was that at higher Sync_level, about 12 onwards, jumpiness was starting to appear periodically during game play. Guess I'll just leave the level alone for now, unless I want to show off the sweet intro story. So, would a Sync Cleaner remove this problem completely?

As for my other issue, I've decided to audio mod and by-pass the headphone jack to see if that improves the audio quality before overclocking the Motorolla.

I just completely fixed the issue on my SNES last night by wiring the csync pin on the SNES encoder to pin 9 (composite) on the SNES A/V port. Why this fixes it I have not a clue.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mace Bacon posted:

Don't. It was an unrelated (and unreleased) Famicom game that Konami decided to release as a Contra game in the states. It's not very good, and is actually pretty rare.

Ah, so its like Doki Doki Panic / Mario 2, only shittier.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
I liked Mario 2.
:(

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Contra Force is awful singleplayer and nearly unplayable co-op. I have never played an NES game that ran at such a horrendously slow frame rate.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

SMB2 is great!! Also it was originally planned as a Mario sequel and then got changed to DDP and then back to SMB2.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

Zaphod42 posted:

Doki was a very big game using Nintendo's A Team that all worked on Mario, and they knew America didn't have a Mario 2 yet. And all it really was for was a joint project with Fuji TV for a promotion, it's a really big and impressive game for a tie in that would only last a year. And Miyamoto seems to regard it as Mario 'Cannon' (As much as a dream can be) as elements from it are still used (Shy Guys, Birdo) and was even released in Japan as "Super Mario USA" in 1992 for the Famicom. I think making a game for the Japanese market, and making it a Mario game in the states was killing 2 birds with one stone.

People are really hard on Mario 2, when they really shouldn't be. It's a great game.

Mace Bacon fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 8, 2013

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

This is going to be like me trying to remember the differences between csync and composite sync (I will never grasp this).

Difference between csync and composite sync:

Very minimal. Composite sync is the composite video signal ran to the sync pin on a connector and csync is a combination of horizontal and vertical sync into one sync line. The only difference is the added video signals required to display a composite signal on a tv. Some devices suck at pulling sync from straight up composite video so a LM1881 "composite sync" stripper is required to clean up a signal. It's actually the opposite though and strips out everything *but* sync so it is basically CSYNC.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

flyboi posted:

Difference between csync and composite sync:

Very minimal. Composite sync is the composite video signal ran to the sync pin on a connector and csync is a combination of horizontal and vertical sync into one sync line. The only difference is the added video signals required to display a composite signal on a tv. Some devices suck at pulling sync from straight up composite video so a LM1881 "composite sync" stripper is required to clean up a signal. It's actually the opposite though and strips out everything *but* sync so it is basically CSYNC.

Here's the weird thing though. I wired csync from the SNES encoder to the CSYNC pin (pin 3 of the SNES' a/v port) and still had problems. But when I took it off A/V pin 3 and put it on A/V pin 9 (composite), everything worked beautifully. Why would that be?

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Composite sync and csync are the same exact things!!!

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Here's the weird thing though. I wired csync from the SNES encoder to the CSYNC pin (pin 3 of the SNES' a/v port) and still had problems. But when I took it off A/V pin 3 and put it on A/V pin 9 (composite), everything worked beautifully. Why would that be?

Your scart cable probably is wired to take the composite video signal from the av port to the csync pin on the scart connector. By wiring it to "csync" it never actually hit your scart plug.

And yes, composite sync and csync are the same things. There are however systems that did things weird for example Genesis and Neo Geo that use a full-on composite video signal as the sync and things like the xrgb-mini can't handle the extra noise added in by the picture signal which requires the LM1881 circuit.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pretty sure Zaphod42's comment is "Contra Force was an unrelated property that ended up being a Contra game in America like Mario 2 except not as good" and not "Mario 2 is poo poo, Contra Force is shittier."

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

al-azad posted:

Pretty sure Zaphod42's comment is "Contra Force was an unrelated property that ended up being a Contra game in America like Mario 2 except not as good" and not "Mario 2 is poo poo, Contra Force is shittier."

Yes this. :colbert:

Pablo Gigante posted:

SMB2 is great!! Also it was originally planned as a Mario sequel and then got changed to DDP and then back to SMB2.

Whoa really? The more you know.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*

Mace Bacon posted:

People are really hard on Mario 2, when they really shouldn't be. It's a great game.

I'll give you that. My problem with Mario 2 is that it doesn't really feel like a Mario game to me, and it didn't as a kid either. Learning it was a re-skin of another games later in life made sense. Then learning that "the real Mario 2" was held back from Americans because it was deemed too hard felt like we got shafted. That being said I can still appreciate Mario 2 for what it is now, and have both it and Mario 2 jp in my collection.

It's kinda like when your wife asks if you'd be fine with pizza for dinner. You say yes, and then anticipate the pizza. Then she comes home with a white sauce pizza with chicken on it. When that happens to me I'm disappointed. Not because I don't like white sauce pizza (I do). But because I feel like that's not real pizza and I was really looking forward to a real drat pizza.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Mace Bacon posted:

Mario 2 started my enjoyment of Toad as a playable character. Plus he's pretty solid in the Mario Karts.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

After playing Lost Levels when All-Stars came out, kid me agreed that Mario 2 was a far better game than the rom hack that was the real SMB2.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

My toaster's composite isn't great (considering it's composite) but it doesn't have horrible jailbars like the NES2 has.

Also there's like 11 revisions of the toaster so maybe some of them have better video than others?

Every toaster NES I've ever seen has that awful wavy-line noise constantly moving along the screen. The jailbars on an NES2 are fixable (something you'd do with the AV mod in the first place) as far as I know.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Pablo Gigante posted:

Mario 2 is awesome and anyone who complains about it should note that the Japanese got it back as Super Mario USA and they loved it too. :colbert:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

flyboi posted:

Your scart cable probably is wired to take the composite video signal from the av port to the csync pin on the scart connector. By wiring it to "csync" it never actually hit your scart plug.

And yes, composite sync and csync are the same things. There are however systems that did things weird for example Genesis and Neo Geo that use a full-on composite video signal as the sync and things like the xrgb-mini can't handle the extra noise added in by the picture signal which requires the LM1881 circuit.

Okay so I get that pin 3 on the SNES' A/V port is for sync. But what is that going to on a scart plug? Looking at a scart pinout, there's no pin that says sync.

Keyboard Kid posted:

Every toaster NES I've ever seen has that awful wavy-line noise constantly moving along the screen. The jailbars on an NES2 are fixable (something you'd do with the AV mod in the first place) as far as I know.

Weird; I'd definitely notice something like wavy-line noise. Maybe mine is just one of the ones that do not have it? Again, there's around 9 toaster motherboard revisions. I wasn't aware of the vertical bar fix in the NES2; wasn't that the whole reason Nintendo offered that super-rare NES2 with A/V ports?

al-azad posted:

After playing Lost Levels when All-Stars came out, kid me agreed that Mario 2 was a far better game than the rom hack that was the real SMB2.

Same here. I really cannot get into SMB2j. It's so cheesy looking with its poorly drawn happy faces on the clouds and the odd floor texture pattern.

Super Mario Bros. 2 is probably my favorite Mario game ever. Doki Doki Panic, in my opinion, is a completely different game because of the save capabilities and the fact that you have to beat every stage with every character. Meaning those stages you'd easily float by with the Princess requires you to also use Toad. Likewise, the stages you'd dig rapidly through the sands using Toad, you'd also need to be able to beat using the incredibly slow Princess. It makes the game completely different.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Okay so I get that pin 3 on the SNES' A/V port is for sync. But what is that going to on a scart plug? Looking at a scart pinout, there's no pin that says sync.

edit: Pin 20 I believe

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

This might be the reason some of my games give me issues. My converter is the one where the cart faces the correct way. What would I need to do to it?

If drakon did the audio mod for you he should have done the other one correcting that issue. Can you play castlevania III? or Tengen Gauntlet?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

flyboi posted:

edit: Pin 20 I believe

That's composite. So no matter where it's getting sync from, be it composite or ~pure sync~, it gets fed to the composite pin?

A Yolo Wizard posted:

If drakon did the audio mod for you he should have done the other one correcting that issue. Can you play castlevania III? or Tengen Gauntlet?

I have neither of those games to try. :frogbon:

Mega Man 2 and Dragon Warrior gives me issues for some reason.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
This ran me like 45 or 50 all together I forget. But god drat if it isn't a sweet rear end haul

Dude with all the GBA games also had Summon Night 1 and Yggdra Union but I didn't get those :(

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

That's composite. So no matter where it's getting sync from, be it composite or ~pure sync~, it gets fed to the composite pin?

Ayup that's why people go UGH CSYNC AND COMPOSITE VIDEO ARE THE SAME THING HNGNGNGNGNGNGNGNNGNGNGNG

the only difference really is some connectors actually strip the picture signal and some don't. Some devices don't like the picture signal (xrgb mini) and blow a gasket over it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Same here. I really cannot get into SMB2j. It's so cheesy looking with its poorly drawn happy faces on the clouds and the odd floor texture pattern.

SMB2j/LostLevels is the only Mario game which looks better in the All-Stars version than the original.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I'm going to go all-out goonlord and exude confusion whenever Mario 2 is mentioned, suggesting they surely must be talking about this game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMr-Eimmb98

The real, real, real, real Mario 2 :smug: .

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 8, 2013

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

Pablo Gigante posted:

[citation needed]

I really don't think that's ever been acknowledged, it's just a theory you hear from time to time.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

TheRedEye posted:

[citation needed]

I really don't think that's ever been acknowledged, it's just a theory you hear from time to time.

I believe it was an interview with Miyamoto released fairly recently; the one where he wanted all 4 player's to be able to play at the same time, and begun developing it as a Mario game.

edit: found it!

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/04/super-mario-bros-2/

edit 2: am I reading Wikipedia correctly? You need to beat Super Mario Bros 2. (J) 8 times to get to the hidden world?

quote:

The Lost Levels follows a similar style of level progression as its predecessor: eight Worlds, having four levels each. At the end of each World, Mario or Luigi navigates through a lava-filled castle, culminating in a battle against Bowser.[1] The first eight Worlds are numbered 1-8, while the remaining four—earned by completing the game eight times—are lettered A-D in the original Disk System version.[3] It is possible to bypass parts of the game by exploiting warp zones, but unlike the previous game, two of The Lost Levels's warp zones return the player to earlier levels.[2][10] Completing Worlds 1-8 without using a warp zone allows the player to access "Fantasy World" (also known as World 9), a repeating bonus stage that is similar to the "Minus World" glitch from Super Mario Bros.[5]

I thought World 9 was the secret world? Worlds A-D are? Or are they both secret worlds that are unrelated?

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 8, 2013

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

I believe it was an interview with Miyamoto released fairly recently; the one where he wanted all 4 player's to be able to play at the same time, and begun developing it as a Mario game.

No, it actually was just a proof of concept picked up off the cutting room floor for the fuji exclusive and sometime after re-adopted as mario 2 in the us
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/04/the-secret-history-of-super-mario-bros-2/

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

flyboi posted:

No, it actually was just a proof of concept picked up off the cutting room floor for the fuji exclusive and sometime after re-adopted as mario 2 in the us
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/04/the-secret-history-of-super-mario-bros-2/

Exactly. That proof of concept demo might have used Mario as a placeholder character (lots of stuff did...even the original Zelda, believe it or not), but it's not accurate to think of it as starting life as a Mario game.

EDIT: I think (and I'm not alone!) that Nintendo took Fuji's money to develop a game that was so close to being Mario that it just took some new art to instantly turn it into a brand new Mario game for the U.S., I think it was planned that way from the beginning.

TheRedEye fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 8, 2013

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

edit 2: am I reading Wikipedia correctly? You need to beat Super Mario Bros 2. (J) 8 times to get to the hidden world?

I thought World 9 was the secret world? Worlds A-D are? Or are they both secret worlds that are unrelated?

IIRC it was 24 times. Maybe I'm remembering this wrong, but you definitely got X number of stars on the title screen after beating the game, I THINK it may have been something like 1 star for beating the game with warps, and 3 stars for beating the game without warps.

After you beat the game, the game awards you bonus points based on how many lives you had left, like 100k points per extra life. If you had 24 stars, it would then give you ONE life to beat World 9 with, which was the rub; World 9 isn't difficult compared to the rest of the game, but your nerves would be pretty shot after beating the initial game and ANY fuckup was an immediate game over.

Worlds A-D were bonus levels exclusive the SNES re-release and weren't in the original FDS version I don't think.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

univbee posted:

Worlds A-D were bonus levels exclusive the SNES re-release and weren't in the original FDS version I don't think.

Actually in the FDS version you get to 9-1 (with 1 life since your extra guys get turned into points in the ending) if you go through 1-1 to 8-4 without warping. You get to A-1 in two ways: finishing 9-4, or getting 8 stars (finish the game 8 times), then holding A and pressing Start at the title.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

ACID POLICE posted:

This ran me like 45 or 50 all together I forget. But god drat if it isn't a sweet rear end haul

Dude with all the GBA games also had Summon Night 1 and Yggdra Union but I didn't get those :(

I had no idea the GBA Sim Tower got a US release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

ACID POLICE posted:

Please provide me with all of these MP3's in our future trade, I need them or at least need to know if I already know about them, thanks in advance

Our trade will happen one of these days I swear. I don't have anything going on this weekend so I may be able to finally put together a list of tradeables. I just cleaned, reorganized and realphabetized my NES, SNES, Genesis and N64 games so I'm about as ready as I'll ever be. On that note I'll get some retro-peen shelf pics up sometime to justify my blood sweat and tears.

And of course it would be my pleasure to provide you with a copy of those MP3s man. I could have modded the Xbox 20x over in all the time I sat in my family room BLASTING that hard hitting music last night. I was looking forward to checking out gamesaves and seeing what the guy played most often in my snooping spree but sadly he just hit OK on the xbox date/time prompt so everything is dated November 2001, lame-o.

After just reading all of the Mario 2 stuff I'm still confused. This has probably been said already, but what secret/extra/hidden levels are available in the Mario All Stars Lost Levels release?

• Locked thread