Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Phobeste posted:

Are there reinforced glass panels you can find? Because they might be cool too.

Also, one of the most annoying things about vehicles to me is that it pops up that "do you want to get something from the box?" question every time to you walk on a floor trunk. It's the only box in the game that does. I would much rather just walk over them and use / to interact.

Also I wish the rv kitchen didn't need CLEAN water. It seems like it's pretty unnecessary - by the time you get one you're usually perfectly able to boil a shitton of water, especially since you have an rv kitchen unit right there, but it's already tedious to fill it up period due to the relative size of jerrycans and adding boiling all that water one unit at a time just sucks.

Is anyone else having problems with the game auto reassigning items to characters that are already assigned?
There are no reinforced glass panels to be found, sadly. There are reinforced glass walls in some location, but they can't be disassembled. Shame, too, because reinforced glass would be the obvious answer to armor plates for windshields.

The latest nightly version doesn't do that popup thing anymore.

The best way to fill up your RV kitchen with clean water is to get a Water Purifier and a steel jerrycan. A Water Purifier can purify water while it's in a container and has just enough maximum charge to clean up a whole steel jerrycan in one go. Grab a bunch of batteries, park your rear end next to a river and purify until the water tank is full. Doesn't even take very long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Phobeste posted:

Are there reinforced glass panels you can find? Because they might be cool too.

Also, one of the most annoying things about vehicles to me is that it pops up that "do you want to get something from the box?" question every time to you walk on a floor trunk. It's the only box in the game that does. I would much rather just walk over them and use / to interact.

Also I wish the rv kitchen didn't need CLEAN water. It seems like it's pretty unnecessary - by the time you get one you're usually perfectly able to boil a shitton of water, especially since you have an rv kitchen unit right there, but it's already tedious to fill it up period due to the relative size of jerrycans and adding boiling all that water one unit at a time just sucks.

Is anyone else having problems with the game auto reassigning items to characters that are already assigned?

Spend the 400 batteries or so to purify a few kegs of water with a purifier instead of boiling it all. Also, if you run over trunks or what not it will ask if you want to get something from them. (Then not do it if you type Y. It's a little buggy.)

edit: Welp, missed this last page.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
If you have the time and the jerrycans, boiling all that water really helps raise your cooking skill, though. Just set up a stove next to a toilet, get a stack of skewers, make sure it's nice and secluded and start boiling.

Although one feature I wish the game had is the ability to haul heavy items you can't pick up around, like in Unreal World. Advanced inventory management does more or less the same thing, but it's pretty tedious opening it up every couple of steps.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Forklifts. The game needs forklifts and hand carts.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
If there was some way to make containers mobile, you could improve alot of things. Drop a duffle bag on the ground and it turns into a trunk you can store/retrieve items from. Put it on, explore some more, then drop it if you get into a fight to save on encumbrance. Of course you'd have to track each duffle bag's weight independently though.

It would work the same for hand carts, except they would be low weight, super high volume items that you can't store, just wield. So you can push around that wheelbarrow you found on day one and clear out 2 hardware stores in an hour.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Crates are already a thing, right? I wonder if packing stuff into crates, labelling them and moving them around could be implementable. Then you could just carry around a food crate or a weapons crate, when you want to move bulk objects, then unpack them and make little crate tables and chairs.

Actually, how does the folding bicycle handle items stored in the box when folded? Some variation of that might work. A wheelbarrow could just be a variation of a folding bicycle with one wheel and a giant trunk that you can push around, with the folding action replaced with something that turns the wheelbarrow into a portable object. You'd still have to deal with the kinda clumsy vehicle controls, though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Nevets posted:

If there was some way to make containers mobile, you could improve alot of things. Drop a duffle bag on the ground and it turns into a trunk you can store/retrieve items from. Put it on, explore some more, then drop it if you get into a fight to save on encumbrance. Of course you'd have to track each duffle bag's weight independently though.

It would work the same for hand carts, except they would be low weight, super high volume items that you can't store, just wield. So you can push around that wheelbarrow you found on day one and clear out 2 hardware stores in an hour.
That'd require a huge reworking of how the inventory system works. Currently, equippable "containers" like duffle bags or backpacks aren't really containers at all, they're just clothing items that give a very large bonus to volume. Giving them their own inventories would be possible, but integrating that with the existing inventory would take so drat much low level hacking all through whales' terrible inventory code. I'm not really sure that's feasible.

Just making items you can drop on the ground and then treat like a box or bag or something should be fairly easy, though.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Cardiovorax posted:

Just making items you can drop on the ground and then treat like a box or bag or something should be fairly easy, though.

If that is so, then wheelbarrows / hand carts should be easy. Just make it turn into an object that is 200+ volume and low (like 10-20) weight. That way you could wield it, but not pick it up.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Looks like the Internal Furnace in GDA is broken. I've tried to eat a cardboard box and some wood and both have crashed me. It's a shame, I kind of wanted to munch on trees. On the upside the ethanol burner still lets me use jerry cans of beer to power myself.

Edit: Battery system seems broken in the same manner.

edit2: How do I tell if my power armor MK II interface is working or not? Does the encumberance change if a powered armor is properly powered? Does the MK II not work on the basic armor?

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 4, 2013

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

edit2: How do I tell if my power armor MK II interface is working or not? Does the encumberance change if a powered armor is properly powered? Does the MK II not work on the basic armor?

If your power armor is giving you 5 encumberment on all body parts its not powered, if its giving you 1 it is powered.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Hey guys! Starting sometime next week I'll be taking back leadership of GDA at PiCroft's request.

Direct all bug reports and general belly-aching in my direction!

While I won't be as active as PiCroft was in adding stuff, I will regularly check pull-requests and feature merging. So those of you contributing to GDA keep doing that, and those of you not contributing you should start!

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008
I'm new to playing the game, and after dying a couple of times, I load up a new game. I meet someone in the bunker who asked for help taking down a creature in the woods, a creature who took down one of his friends. I accepted, figuring I could possibly get a gun out of the situation, considering I was helping him. Nothing. He gave me some antibiotics. I walk out to the edge of the woods with him, looking for a stick to sharpen, when, out of the woods, a Jabberwock came barreling through. It was fast, way faster than me. Realizing I couldn't outrun it, I decided to run around and try and bait the Jabberwock, hoping my partner would shoot him down. My partner soon started punching it. I noticed someone else in the distance running in to help, and soon all three of us were punching it. It caught me in its grasp, and I couldn't escape, so we kept punching it. No damage. It finally let me go, and I started limping slowly away. I ran into the woods, hoping to juke its line of sight. It killed one guy, and then the next. Then it came for me. All I could do was limp away until it finally caught up and started tearing into me.

:stare: Oh god.

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

Whenever I see a Jabberwock and I'm not in a car, it's already too late. But man does it feel good to run them over repeatedly.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Also fire works well on them, but that's true of everything.

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

So, I got caught up in other games, and I just got the new version. The amount of professions is awesome now, so does anyone have any new builds that are really good for starting out?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

So I paid a visit to the Cataclysm DDA hangouts.

One of the lead devs is a brony with a persecution complex, they added a hooker profession/start to the game, and their publicly advertised 18+ discussion and roleplaying side-channel says that under-18s shouldn't disclose their age. You know, for deniability.

:negative:

Edit: Apparently the hooker profession starts with an addiction to opiates and cocaine, and there is a hobo profession with alcoholism. Saying that racial stereotyping is a bad thing is also a way to start huge arguments with the DDA folks.

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 6, 2013

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Anticheese posted:

So I paid a visit to the Cataclysm DDA hangouts.

One of the lead devs is a brony with a persecution complex, they added a hooker profession/start to the game, and their publicly advertised 18+ discussion and roleplaying side-channel says that under-18s shouldn't disclose their age. You know, for deniability.

Edit: Apparently the hooker profession starts with an addiction to opiates and cocaine, and there is a hobo profession with alcoholism. Saying that racial stereotyping is a bad thing is also a way to start huge arguments with the DDA folks.

I'm glad my decision to only play GDA and never touch DDA has been entirely and completely vindicated.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Also fire works well on them, but that's true of everything.

Not skeletons! They'll traipse through it, arrows and bullets whizzing through their rib cages. They're a pretty good early counter to archery builds.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Good thing this is open source. Maybe some less lovely people will use it as a good base once (if?) they get done cleaning it up.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Holy cow. So I just created my first character (24 points), picked the Android trait.. my upgrades? Solar Panels and a Fusion Blaster Arm.

This is going to be FUN. :getin:

Edit: And I spawned right next to a crater of some sort that spammed flaming eyes and Mi-go. So much for being a postapocalyptic Mega Man.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Aug 7, 2013

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
This is going to sound like I don't get it, but how do you DO anything in DDA? As soon as I go to a town to scavenge poo poo, I get swarmed by fourteen types of zombies. It doesn't seem like there's a sneak option or anything, either. Where do I get stuff?

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

tuyop posted:

This is going to sound like I don't get it, but how do you DO anything in DDA? As soon as I go to a town to scavenge poo poo, I get swarmed by fourteen types of zombies. It doesn't seem like there's a sneak option or anything, either. Where do I get stuff?

For the early game, your best bet is going to be to smash a window, stand on the inside, and gore zombies with a pointy stick as they try to get through. Cars, windows, etc have a movement penalty that slows down any creature trying to walk through that tile, so you can get multiple attacks off as they're standing in that tile. With a character with extremely good strength and good melee skill, I've been able to kill a dozen zombies with a wood spear in this way without getting hit once.

Also, I posted this earlier. I'm not an expert in this game but that's what I've learned after a few dozen dead characters.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
A cheesy way to go about it is to restart until you get a world with an easily accessible gunstore (i.e, on the edge of town), try to get a backpack from one of the houses on the edge of town and then bolt straight towards the gunstore, grab all the ammunition you can (behind the counter) and then a firearm for which you have ample ammunition. Shoot your way out of the town and dodge back to safety. The rest of the game should be much easier.

The 'Quick' trait makes the early game much easier as well, basically as long as you don't see a Hulk or a Brute you can always just run the other way and escape safely, which is usually the safest option in the early game.

Finding a massive vehicle and driving it around is another way to break the early game balance, you just cruise at 10mph and drive in a small circle as all the zombies run under your wheels and are transformed into paste. After a while you just get of the vehicle and loot whatever you need.

Mansions are usually rather secluded and frequently have very powerful melee weapons and sometimes even (somewhat useless) suits of plate armor, they usually have stores of food and drinks and a few safe beds so you can just raid them and rest up to heal yourself and make life a whole lot easier for yourself.

Sometimes you can get lucky and find heavy weaponry and other assorted goodies thrown about alongside roads (with the corpses of their former owners) so just strolling around (or driving) is another way to get armed without risking a visit to the city. Very often you'll also find large amounts of Cocaine and Meth which will boost your speed to insane levels and offer a quick escape option once you decide to raid a town and it gets a little too sticky.

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

Has anyone successfully compiled the source for GDA on OSX? I have all the dependencies, but when I go to make, I get "gettext was not declared in this scope". I suppose I can just download the binaries, but I'd at least like to figure out why it isn't working.

EDIT: I should say that all steps are fine except for when it gets to the step where I export the CXX and LD flags. I guess I get what it's doing, but do I copy that line word for word? Or do I have to replace /path/to/include with an actual path pointing to somewhere, and if so, where?

EDIT2: Figured out the problem. I forgot to link gettext with brew. That at least gets most of the way, but then I get "unknown escape sequence \_" for the main_menu.cpp. The line it calls out is just the ascii art title?

shabbat goy fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 8, 2013

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

tuyop posted:

Well, you can't just go raring into twon and busting heads or you WILL get swarmed. Starting out by making yourself a longbow and some arrows vie the crafting menu (&) - I like the field point arrows in the GDA build (I'm fairly sure that's a typo and should be 'filed' but whatever) gets you a nice long-range option for little effort. Smash the benches and counters in the shelter (and make sure to explore downstairs for other random stuff, if you get really lucky there'll be a backpack there), make a bunch of wood arrow shafts, upgrade those to field points with the nails from the furniture. You should get your Archery up to about lv3 or 4 by this - enough to smash a couple of windows in and make a longbow out of the heavy sticks and strings. Smash in one of the lockers, grab the pipe, and find a rock outside - then use the 'Other' crafting tab to bend the pipe into a crowbar. It's a solid starter melee weapon and can be used to quickly and (relatively) quietly to open doors.

Next up, use M to figure out a good approach into town. If you run down the street you WILL get swarmed. Lucky for you, zombies are dumb. Pick an isolated house or two on the edge of town and go in. You'll want to aggro only a couple of zombies, then back away. Pepper them with arrows, leading them away from the settlement, then smash or butcher the corpses. This'll keep them from getting back up later. Rinse and repeat until you've cleaned yourself a house, then go in. Loot the useful stuff, fortify the hell out of the place - you can board the windows over with two-by-fours and nails if you make or find yourself a hammer - and then start expanding out. Remember, every zombie you kill is one less in the city - there won't be more if you're playing as static spawn. You're faster than regular (and most special) zombies, so don't be afraid to retreat to a better position if you need to.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Drake_263 posted:

Well, you can't just go raring into twon and busting heads or you WILL get swarmed. Starting out by making yourself a longbow and some arrows vie the crafting menu (&) - I like the field point arrows in the GDA build (I'm fairly sure that's a typo and should be 'filed' but whatever) gets you a nice long-range option for little effort. Smash the benches and counters in the shelter (and make sure to explore downstairs for other random stuff, if you get really lucky there'll be a backpack there), make a bunch of wood arrow shafts, upgrade those to field points with the nails from the furniture. You should get your Archery up to about lv3 or 4 by this - enough to smash a couple of windows in and make a longbow out of the heavy sticks and strings. Smash in one of the lockers, grab the pipe, and find a rock outside - then use the 'Other' crafting tab to bend the pipe into a crowbar. It's a solid starter melee weapon and can be used to quickly and (relatively) quietly to open doors.

Next up, use M to figure out a good approach into town. If you run down the street you WILL get swarmed. Lucky for you, zombies are dumb. Pick an isolated house or two on the edge of town and go in. You'll want to aggro only a couple of zombies, then back away. Pepper them with arrows, leading them away from the settlement, then smash or butcher the corpses. This'll keep them from getting back up later. Rinse and repeat until you've cleaned yourself a house, then go in. Loot the useful stuff, fortify the hell out of the place - you can board the windows over with two-by-fours and nails if you make or find yourself a hammer - and then start expanding out. Remember, every zombie you kill is one less in the city - there won't be more if you're playing as static spawn. You're faster than regular (and most special) zombies, so don't be afraid to retreat to a better position if you need to.

Oh I was totally doing it wrong! Thanks. So the project is to clear a town slowly, one or two zombies at a time.

I'm scared to try that window+pointy stick idea though.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Sorry for the double post, is it possible to fill like plastic canteens and empty bottles from sinks and stuff? Using them with a doesn't seem to do anything.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
You can only fill up water from toilets, press 'e' to examine them and you get the option to fill an empty container up. Remember that you need a stone pot and another container so you can purify it. Also starting fires in houses will burn the house down, so make a fire outside, and try to make a filter mask first because you will choke to death on smoke otherwise.

Really, the start of the game is probably the hardest part. Once you get a good base, and especially once you get a working vehicle, you're pretty much set for long-term survival, until you do something stupid like take on a triffid grove.

e: Also if you find a glass bottle of alcohol, empty it out, cut something into a rag and make a molotov cocktail. Invaluable for large zombie swarms, zombie hulks or ill-placed smokers.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 7, 2013

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

One thing I like to do is to find a nice spot between two houses, hide behind one of the corners and then step forward for a turn or two, long enough to lure in one or two zombies. Quickly step back around the corner and wait. If you're patient you can clear out whole streets that way.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Bear traps, I've found, are hilariously effective. All you need is a spring (gut a car seat) and 3 pieces of scrap metal. The skill required are hilariously low, 1 point in traps and 2 in Mechanics. Luring a zombie on one will pop them for 35 damage - stock zombies having 50 max - and snare them for a bit. They're also reusable without needing reloads like shotgun traps and crossbow traps. I lucked out and found an idiot trap with a bunch of different traps scattered around a bottle of clean water lying on the road - it's a relatively risk-free way of thinning the horde if you can lure zombies to move over them. No need to worry about disarming bear traps either, just troll a zombie into one, finish it off, then move the now-disarmed trap! They're so quick to set up that I've taken to carrying a few along and slapping them down when I get attacked.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
The newest nightly version seems to have reworked the weight mechanics a little. Some stuff seems a little lighter than before, but going around overburdened will cause your pain to keep rising until you drop some items. I suppose that's more realistic than previous versions, where overencumbrance did practically nothing. Also picking up anything seems to cause the 'overburdened!' message to appear randomly, that's probably a bug.

e: Also, all your arrows will disappear from your inventory once you save and load, so drop them on the floor before you save. I have honestly no idea how they managed to break it that much.

e: Oh, the top item disappears when you save and load. I think I'll wait for the next build, this one's way too buggy.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 8, 2013

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Inadequately posted:

going around overburdened will cause your pain to keep rising until you drop some items.

This is basically a 100% accurate representation of how being overburdened works in real life. I like it.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Is Battery System or Internal Furnace working right for the rest of you? For me the game crashes if I try and eat non-food items like batteries or burnables, respectively.

Edit: Found this with a google:

quote:

Guessing it's another case of missing or incorrectly specified material. If you're carrying anything that has a material other than what is specified in materials.json and try to eat with internal furnace installed, the game will crash. Were you carrying any rare items or quest items, or items that have been added recently? Those are more likely to have slipped by unnoticed.

Why in the hell the game would care when you're not trying to eat the culprit item itself, I have no idea :psyduck:

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 8, 2013

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I would guess the game cares because it handles all the items you could eat theoretically with either of those things for the menu you would otherwise pick your batteries or boxes from and flips its lid when it encounters an item that doesn't have a material in materials.json. Might even be that it has to do that for all items carried whether they actually could be eaten with your bionics or not and checks against what you're carrying afterwards if it's particularly badly done. Only diving in the relevant code would unravel that mystery. :shrug:

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Is it on GDA? I think GDA might have a broken materials.json.

I tested the furnace thing with a new charactor and cheats and it still breaks.

edit: No, it checks out, they've both got the same materials.json.

edit2: Tested it with a naked character, eating sticks still crashes you, so it's not whatever you googled up.

edit3: https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/2267 There's the pull request to fix it. Seems it's a code bug. Hopefully it'll get rolled into the next GDA, whenever that may be.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 9, 2013

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

edit3: https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/2267 There's the pull request to fix it. Seems it's a code bug. Hopefully it'll get rolled into the next GDA, whenever that may be.

I'll be putting together a 0.5 near the end of the month.

Everyone who is working on features for GDA: If you want those in 0.5 get those pull requests in by the 20th of August.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Stepping into spider-web seems to crash the game, too.

Fair warning to everyone new to the game, too, the local black widows seem to be about the size of corgis and like to take over whole houses where they nest in packs of one to three DOZEN. If you see one? It WILL have friends nearby.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
As with everything in Cataclysm, the solution to black widow infestations is fire. Smash a window, peek in and throw a stick down in the web (careful not to touch or they'll swarm you while you're slowed down). Light it and run back out. Webs burn very, very well. So do the spiders living in them :black101:

Emden
Oct 5, 2012

by angerbeet

Wild T posted:

As with everything in Cataclysm, the solution to black widow infestations is fire. Smash a window, peek in and throw a stick down in the web (careful not to touch or they'll swarm you while you're slowed down). Light it and run back out. Webs burn very, very well. So do the spiders living in them :black101:

And if you can't set something on fire find a truck and run said thing over. Recently I surprised an entire classroom of zombie children with a flatbed truck. Honestly I was surprised myself. Turns out if you are moving fast enough you'll go through an entire building.

Quick question: can anyone tell me why monster names are red all of a sudden? I swear it just started happening. Does it affect anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Wild T posted:

I've started prioritizing looting any nearby liquor stores and bars when I set up my base camp - a two-thirds-full glass bottle of whiskey or any other strong alcohol is just a rag and a lighter away from being a Molotov cocktail, afterall! :supaburn: