Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

PerrineClostermann posted:

Crimson Typhoon's head looked like something straight out of Armored Core. Back in AC2 I had a head just like it, I think it was the SCOPE-EYE part.

I thought it looked a lot like legion from ME3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I thought it looked like Hal Shockwave Legion Armored Core Greek Cyclops

Crimson Typhoon's head looked like something straight out of Armored Core. Back in AC2 I had a head just like it, I think it was the SCOPE-EYE part.

Needless to say I thought it was the coolest. That third arm killed it for me, though, and Cherno's too :ussr: for me not to like the most.
Otachi killed it for me. :v:

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 8, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
"camera tube on a neck" is a really old anime thing, it was especially common in the 80's and 90's.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Invictus posted:

Jokes :doh:

Steve Yun posted:

"camera tube on a neck" is a really old anime thing, it was especially common in the 80's and 90's.

And one of the best tropes. I'm looking at you, Rick Dias!

e: not sure if that qualified as a pun. Better cover my bases.

PerrineClostermann fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 8, 2013

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

I thought it looked like Hal Shockwave Legion Armored Core Greek Cyclops

Heyoooooooo!

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

So I'm finally gonna go see the only showing of the movie within 50 miles of me tomorrow. Should be uncrowded and awesome. Especially at noon on a weekday.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

Xealot posted:

Here's a pretty awesome Guillermo del Toro interview, wherein he is asked about the morality of his films and fascism among other things. I might've missed if it was already posted.

http://www.kcrw.com/etc/programs/tt/tt130802guillermo_del_toro_p

nice find, great interview

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
One of the few disappointing things about this movie is that the Elbow Rocket is not a True Rocket Punch.

Bait and switch, Zorak. Bait and switch (the movie was really, really awesome; contrary to the insightful fascist penis phallus chat).

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Iserlohn posted:

One of the few disappointing things about this movie is that the Elbow Rocket is not a True Rocket Punch.

Bait and switch, Zorak. Bait and switch (the movie was really, really awesome; contrary to the insightful fascist penis phallus chat).

I'd argue that Elbow Rocket is much better :colbert:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Iserlohn posted:

(the movie was really, really awesome; contrary to the insightful fascist penis phallus chat).

I drive to work on a submarine vehicle.

A submarine is a type of vehicle.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I'd argue that Elbow Rocket is much better :colbert:

Yeah, elbow rocket frickin' owned and rocket fists make you wait for the rockets to come back. Also when Cherno Alpha deployed arm pistons straight outta Big O I totally went :swoon: for reals.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

No-one in Starship Troopers is openly anti-communist, and the film takes place in Argentina - which is depicted as part of a multinational federation. By this standard, the fascist society in Starship Troopers is not fascist either.

I guess, if you ignore the parts where they glorify action, violence, youth, intolerance of *human* others(those damned pacifist Mormons), how "Service Guarantees Citizenship", everyone dressing like Nazis.

Haha just kidding, the Federation in Starship Troopers is post-fascist or neo-fascists or some other word for the subsequent lines of thought that are similar to but distinct from actual, historical, Fascism.
Women are equal, they aren't super racist, they don't deride intellectuals, people can choose to do federal service or not, etc. Picking and choosing parts of a definition so it fits your argument isn't how an academically honest argument works, but it seems kind of obvious that you want to ignore that there's actual, integral, components of a discrete concept of Fascism so that you can call people who like the movie Fascists.

Which is pretty fascist of you. :c00lbert:

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
People have presented some readings of the film as a fascist narrative, not called people who watched or enjoyed the film fascists. It's weird to take film criticism personally unless it's striking some sort of unexamined chord with your or something; but that has more to do how modern audiences construct their cultural identities through what they consume and how they participate in global capitalism than if they are or are not members of fascist parties.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Xealot posted:

Here's a pretty awesome Guillermo del Toro interview, wherein he is asked about the morality of his films and fascism among other things. I might've missed if it was already posted.

http://www.kcrw.com/etc/programs/tt/tt130802guillermo_del_toro_p

Gonna throw in a second vote for how good this is. It's long, but it's a great interview. Del Toro says he'd bring the shovel if Ron Pearlman ever killed a man.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Danger posted:

People have presented some readings of the film as a fascist narrative, not called people who watched or enjoyed the film fascists. It's weird to take film criticism personally unless it's striking some sort of unexamined chord with your or something; but that has more to do how modern audiences construct their cultural identities through what they consume and how they participate in global capitalism than if they are or are not members of fascist parties.

People have, for example, specifically made reference to people who liked the film 'enjoying stomping faces'. However often you repeat your assertion, the insult has been used over and over in this thread, and then when people get angry about it, out comes the insinuation that 'you should examine why you are being so defensive'. There is nothing subtle about what is going on here.

The claim that defining themselves through the media one consumes and enjoys being a peculiar new capitalist thing is downright weird. What on earth do you think culture is? How else did the Romans denigrate the Christians, but by associating the concept of the mass with cannibalism? What purpose did you think the Nazi denunciation of degenerate culture have, if it didn't have an effect of attacking the people who enjoyed such works by proxy?

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Time to reel in the big bucks. :kimchi:

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I guess the budget was not blown on spellcheck.

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax
Haha, man, my friend called it. He pointed out the GLADOS voice after we watched this yesterday, but I was sceptical about it being anything but a homage or coincidence. Then we got spergin' about how Valve would be the perfect candidates to make a tie-in game, given their experience with intuitive multiplayer from Portal 2. I think beautiful Katamari had a two-player mode where two players navigated the same game object,and that was kinda trippy. This game is a highdea pobut it needs to happen.

I also like to imagine that Charlie Day is his older, post Paddy's self who has moved from inhalants to surfin' monster brainwaves.
:catdrugs:

Faux-Ass Nonsense fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 8, 2013

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

So I've never preordered anything on amazon before. I want to preorder the DVD, but when will they charge me ?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

dylan14 posted:

So I've never preordered anything on amazon before. I want to preorder the DVD, but when will they charge me ?

Amazon charges when your package ships; you can order now and not pay anything, and you can cancel until it ships as well. You can also apply Amazon gift credit to the order to pay for it in advance if you don't want it to show up in a few months after you forgot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Danger posted:

You keep saying this but it isn't true. Multiple people have, subtly or unsubtly, went "you enjoy this film because you're fascist/have fascist tendencies."
Going "it's weird to take film criticisms personally" when you have people who unambiguously uses them as a line of attack shows very little understanding of the conversations that have gone on in this thread.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Fangz posted:

People have, for example, specifically made reference to people who liked the film 'enjoying stomping faces'. However often you repeat your assertion, the insult has been used over and over in this thread, and then when people get angry about it, out comes the insinuation that 'you should examine why you are being so defensive'. There is nothing subtle about what is going on here.

The claim that defining themselves through the media one consumes and enjoys being a peculiar new capitalist thing is downright weird. What on earth do you think culture is? How else did the Romans denigrate the Christians, but by associating the concept of the mass with cannibalism? What purpose did you think the Nazi denunciation of degenerate culture have, if it didn't have an effect of attacking the people who enjoyed such works by proxy?

Where have people specifically made reference to people who like the film 'enjoying stomping faces'? If that point has been made, I don't agree with it out of hand. In fact, SMG made the exact opposite assertion like 2 pages ago. I'm talking about this response to analysis and criticism as personal attack: "A slight against Gipsy Danger is a slight against me". I'm not trying to be subtle when I suggest examining such defensiveness nor that it means you are a member of a fascist party, but because there is some unexamined ideology behind advocating for that sort of media illiteracy.

ImpAtom posted:

You keep saying this but it isn't true. Multiple people have, subtly or unsubtly, went "you enjoy this film because you're fascist/have fascist tendencies."
Going "it's weird to take film criticisms personally" when you have people who unambiguously uses them as a line of attack shows very little understanding of the conversations that have gone on in this thread.
Where it's been said I must have missed, but I don't think watching and enjoying what may or may not be a fascist narrative makes one a fascist. The only place I've really seen it in this thread is when people have responded personally to others' readings of the film.

Danger fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 8, 2013

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

SuperMechaGodzilla posted:

the onus is now on you to show that you are not unwittingly advocating authoritarian fascism as the solution to global warming.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Look, I'm not saying that you're Fascist, I'm just saying that you're advocating Fascism. Totally different.

Here, let me quote some continental philosophical blowhard for 2,000 words to back this up.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
SMG what do you think of the taglines "to fight monsters we created monsters" and "go big or go extinct"

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Whenever I see the second one it sounds like a fast food slogan, and it makes me want to eat a big hamburger.
Total lost opportunity for McDonalds marketing synergy.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Bonaventure posted:

Look, I'm not saying that you're Fascist, I'm just saying that you're advocating Fascism. Totally different.

Here, let me quote some continental philosophical blowhard for 2,000 words to back this up.

That's not really what 'disingenuous' means, and you seem to have confused the fact that my reading is oppositional with it being inaccurate.

I know full well that the characters put numbers and codenames on the monsters, and call them hurricanes. I am criticizing the act of categorizing, not ignoring or denying it. I don't believe the exposition because the exposition is contradicted by the text. My reading pays attention to what is unsaid, like how the rioters are only given a brief soundbite.

More to the point: when I point out fascist and anti-christological undertones in the film's narrative, with clear examples, and you say that the message is 'merely' that we should generically unite to fight global warming, then we're not actually disagreeing. However, the onus is now on you to show that you are not unwittingly advocating authoritarian fascism as the solution to global warming.

You're saying we have to 'do something' but your refusal to spell out what that 'something' is puts you in a spot. We've already pretty much established that the film isn't communist, and it's obviously not apolitical. What do you think it is?
isn't outright calling fans supporters of fascism (you can like aspects of a thing while disliking it's politics) but pointing out that an audience that reacts to a fascist narrative with, "Yes, this proposes a reasonable response to the problem it considers" is certainly sympathetic to that cause. Refusing to engage with the film's ideological message is not a reading of the film and endorsing some kind of media illiteracy is itself an intensely ideological response.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

SMG what do you think of the taglines "to fight monsters we created monsters" and "go big or go extinct"

The latter refers to achieving erection, I'll tell you that much.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
I have engaged with the film's ideological message.
SMG by contrast has fabricated one that the film does not advance. Don't try to convince me otherwise, because in case you haven't noticed I have nothing but disdain for his school of theory and yours, the same sort of disdain that calls my reading "media illiteracy." The only reason I posted again was because your "we're totally not calling anyone fascist" line is such a bold lie.

There's 100 pages of this nonsense if you want to review it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Danger posted:

isn't outright calling fans supporters of fascism (you can like aspects of a thing while disliking it's politics) but pointing out that an audience that reacts to a fascist narrative with, "Yes, this proposes a reasonable response to the problem it considers" is certainly sympathetic to that cause. Refusing to engage with the film's ideological message is not a reading of the film and endorsing some kind of media illiteracy is itself an intensely ideological response.

Except, as usual, it boils down to ignoring other people's readings and calling them "media illiteracy" while backhandedly accusing them of supporting fascism. You've decided the narrative is fascist and anyone who disagrees with you is clearly just reading the material wrong/'illiterate' and not reading it in a different way.

You're pushing your One True Reading of the film and making implications about those who disagree with you which most people would find offensive. There have been several people who support the fascist narrative and can reasonable understand that not everyone agrees with their viewpoint but they're drowned out by the people who are unable to look at another viewpoint.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 8, 2013

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Gatts posted:

I guess the budget was not blown on spellcheck.

Oh, that's from Knifehead-kun's Twitter feed; I'm pretty sure English isn't even a second language for him.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Except, as usual, it boils down to ignoring other people's readings and calling them "media illiteracy" while backhandedly accusing them of supporting fascism. You've decided the narrative is fascist and anyone who disagrees with you is clearly just reading the material wrong/'illiterate' and not reading it in a different way.

You're pushing your One True Reading of the film and making implications about those who disagree with you which most people would find offensive. There have been several people who support the fascist narrative and can reasonable understand that not everyone agrees with their viewpoint but they're drowned out by the people who are unable to look at another viewpoint.

I mean the "It's just a cartoon movie, there's no message, just punching aliens" type response as media illiteracy and don't mean to apply it to others who have given considered readings. And I agree that works of art necessarily exist as multiplicities, but also that some interpretations are more valid than others. It shouldn't be shocking that I find mine more valid.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Danger posted:

I mean the "It's just a cartoon movie, there's no message, just punching aliens" type response as media illiteracy and don't mean to apply it to others who have given considered readings. And I agree that works of art necessarily exist as multiplicities, but also that some interpretations are more valid than others. It shouldn't be shocking that I find mine more valid.

It's fine to find your own vision more valid. Most people do. The problem is when you extend your own vision to other people and make inferences about their political, social or personal standings based on your own vision. That isn't to say that every position has to be given equal weight but that also doesn't mean you're not being needlessly offensive (in a conversation-damaging way) when you put your own idea onto other people.

It's very important to analyze media and understand the underlying messages in a product but not everyone is going to analyze media the same way and it's entirely possible for two people with similar political and social beliefs to disagree on what the message of a movie is without one of them going against their beliefs. Some people do not view combat in movies as literally as others and some people do not agree on the symbolism or metaphor in a given scene. A lot of the arguments in this thread come down to someone going "I've explained what X is, so explain Y in that context" while ignoring that people do not take X as a given even with the explanation of X being made.

That isn't to say there aren't things which can be offensive or damaging through sheer thoughtlessness, poor consideration, or just unintentional evocation of imagery but that is also a case where discussion helps solidify and occasionally change positions.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 8, 2013

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Ugh, I managed to skim backwards to page 193 before giving up. I liked the film, I think it might've been best dose of entertainment I've had in such a short time, ever. I didn't understand why Hannibal was even in the film though, seemed like such a waste of screen time. I tried searching the thread, but wasn't it kind of obvious that Mako's father was the co-pilot of Coyte Tango with Stacker and her father dying in that battle we saw in the flashback. Well, apparently not according to the wiki. Meh. I felt it was being alluded to constantly. Would've made perfect sense why Stacker took such a fatherly role and why Mako accepted it.

Also, being a terrible person who watches anime, I fully expected (due to Evangelion) the ending to say that "No, wait, you don't need a corpse because those machines are kaijis", even if it wouldn't make sense from logistical standpoint. I kept thinking that Stacker's nosebleeds were extremely fishy, almost as if he was communing with the kaijis himself. I guess it's dumb paranoia due to watching Evangelion and making stupid connections. I realize the movie took from other anime and TV series more, but I liked making the connections, even if they're wrong. I'll be damned if the net isn't already full of terrible crossover fanfiction.

Also, thanks for the thread pointing out GDT's 40 weeks of 3D editing, the 3D version of the film was definitely worth watching, apart from few scenes where things seemed "small" due to the 3d effect like during one dialogue when we skim over a scaffolding that's holding a jaeger with work crews with it.

v Due to the aforementioned connections I spoke of it would make almost too much sense regardless. One could ask why she was alone there with no people in sight in the first place, though?
edit: Felt like I should elaborate, spoilers from the very beginning of Evangelion In the very beginning of the show, the protagonist is wandering the streets right at the attack of a similar existential threat to humanity. His father is the leader of the organization tasked to deal with this existential threat.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 8, 2013

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Dessel posted:

Ugh, I managed to skim backwards to page 193 before giving up. I liked the film, I think it might've been best dose of entertainment I've had in such a short time, ever. I didn't understand why Hannibal was even in the film though, seemed like such a waste of screen time. I tried searching the thread, but wasn't it kind of obvious that Mako's father was the co-pilot of Coyte Tango with Stacker and her father dying in that battle we saw in the flashback. Well, apparently not according to the wiki. Meh. I felt it was being alluded to constantly. Would've made perfect sense why Stacker took such a fatherly role and why Mako accepted it.

If Mako's father had been a Jaeger pilot at the time of that attack, wouldn't she be somewhere safe rather than wandering the streets? I don't know about you, but I would insist that my family be kept 'safe' with me in the shatterdome.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
Coyote Tango's co-pilot was a woman (a fascist woman!).

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Halman posted:

I guess, if you ignore the parts where they glorify action, violence, youth, intolerance of *human* others(those damned pacifist Mormons), how "Service Guarantees Citizenship", everyone dressing like Nazis.

Haha just kidding, the Federation in Starship Troopers is post-fascist or neo-fascists or some other word for the subsequent lines of thought that are similar to but distinct from actual, historical, Fascism.
Women are equal, they aren't super racist, they don't deride intellectuals, people can choose to do federal service or not, etc. Picking and choosing parts of a definition so it fits your argument isn't how an academically honest argument works, but it seems kind of obvious that you want to ignore that there's actual, integral, components of a discrete concept of Fascism so that you can call people who like the movie Fascists.

Which is pretty fascist of you. :c00lbert:

The assertion that Stacker's resistance is feminist is highly questionable, when the characters employ slurs and Mako teams up with a man to become... a big man.

Imagine an identical-opposite scenario in which Hero Guy struggles to prove himself as the subordinate, neophyte copilot of a lithe, slippery robot. After a near-catastrophic emotional breakdown where he regresses into a five years old boy, he musters up the strength to yell "for my brother!" and suck a kaiju modeled after a football player (codename: Biff Hercules) into the robot's gaping, lubricated maw trap.

(Sarcastic response: "oh right, it's not a vagina, it's a yoni. :rolleyes:")

And then, you do have the villainous Filthy Slut, Demon Hag, and the "kaiju groupie" slur that carries implicit race-mixing stigma. Of course they're hella racist against the kaiju. Stacker's group is multicultural but, as we all know, multiculturalism is white supremacy.

I assert that, when a person is over-awed by natural disaster footage, nobody accuses them of wanting to gently caress tsunamis. That, alone, destroys the 'they're just weather' argument.

But alright, let's grant that Stacker and the gang are not fascists but merely neo-fascists. How does prefixing a 'neo' rebuke anything I've written? That's way pedantic.

Bonaventure posted:

Jeferoo is pretty much the only person writing fascist rhetoric in the thread. And, if you've read the thread, you'll see that I've praised him for having the wit to voice an impassioned opinion. It's sweet of you to get worked up on his behalf, but fascism is not Voldemort. Jeferoo is mature enough to handle it.

If a person's writing extensively (unintentionally?) paraphrases Ayn Rand, I have no qualm with calling it an endorsement of libertarianism/objectivism either. Words aren't magical spells.

It's the people who reflexively shirk from 'being political', like a cat touching water, that are truly contemptible. If you want to be insulted, at least be insulted accurately. You (you, personally) are not a fascist. You are just dumb.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
Please deconstruct the bulldog's weight for me, I know it must mean something since they showed the dog a lot. I mean your average dog is fairly svelte, but they went with a dog that is really stocky. Does its safety "weigh" heavily on Chuck's conscience? Is the fact that it's a wide-set animal key us into the wide range of emotions that play between father and son? Was he loving the dog and we in turn are loving our dogs metaphorically when we don't take care of our mother earth?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's the people who reflexively shirk from 'being political', like a cat touching water, that are truly contemptible.

Discussing whether a given viewpoint is justified differs from whether it is merely present. The latter is criticism, the former politics; one does and one does not have a reputation for leading to extremely vicious and unpleasant conversation. Nobody's deserving of contempt just for preferring to exclude that from their leisure.

This is all in good fun, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

OldPueblo posted:

Please deconstruct the bulldog's weight for me, I know it must mean something since they showed the dog a lot. I mean your average dog is fairly svelte, but they went with a dog that is really stocky. Does its safety "weigh" heavily on Chuck's conscience? Is the fact that it's a wide-set animal key us into the wide range of emotions that play between father and son? Was he loving the dog and we in turn are loving our dogs metaphorically when we don't take care of our mother earth?

The dog is represent mankind's ability to bend nature to it's service. It is no mistake they have chosen a breed that is extremely different from it's wild Wolf origins, especially one that is 100% reliant on it's owners. It's size is very important here since it makes a statement of all the resources mankind has to provide to keep nature in it's service. How difficult must it be to keep a big fat dog in a world with little bread? Of course the Kaiju show nature literally beating the poo poo out of mankind, and how do we respond? Throwing all of our resources to tame it, like the fat useless dog that has no natural purpose, mankind must bend nature to it's will - what ever the cost. People starve so we can be rulers of all we see.

• Locked thread