Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I know CK2 was great and all but I still feel an obligation to remind the thread of the Paradox release cycle that we must by tradition follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Does anyone know why Casablanca would just suddenly switch out of my territory and back to Morocco? I was playing Portugal, got the mission to take Casablanca, won the war, annexed it, and then just a short time later I noticed I had the "you have a claim on a province not in your territory" banner pop up again. So I mouse over it and it tells me I have a claim on...Casablanca :confused:

Sure enough, I scroll down to North Africa and the only provinces I have there are the two I started with, and Casablanca's a part of Morroco again. The war was over, it was definitely part of my country, and there were no rebels forcing reunification--or at the very least I never got any notification about rebels rising, winning sieges, or about losing the province. If that little banner saying I had a claim didn't show up I would have had no idea that I lost it.

Here's the province history, for what it's worth:

It sounds like patriot rebels, but like I said, none of them ever actually showed up.

That Portugal game in general just didn't go my way. :smith: I did great as the Ottomans, but as Portugal I was constantly at war, constantly in debt, and the only thing I managed to accomplish before ragequitting was colonizing Puerto Rico. Maybe I should break the alliance with England, that's what got me in the most trouble.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

That Portugal game in general just didn't go my way. :smith: I did great as the Ottomans, but as Portugal I was constantly at war, constantly in debt, and the only thing I managed to accomplish before ragequitting was colonizing Puerto Rico. Maybe I should break the alliance with England, that's what got me in the most trouble.

Hey man, don't even think about breaking the currently oldest running Alliance in history. :colbert:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
By the way, has anyone noticed that the tech descriptions don't all seem to quite match up with the bonuses they actually provide? The military tech, at least - the pike and shot tech only gives you gallowglasses, I think, and the tech titled "Reiters" does not in fact give you any new cavalry (though I think they do give you landsknechts.) Issue with misplaced titles, or is it just kinda tricky to fit in an appropriate tech and description at each appropriate stage?

(Heck, for that matter, the demo's starting military tech is "arquebuses" - while you're mucking around with men at arms or longbowmen.)

Edit: Not an important thing, just sort of an odd point.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Cheated monarch points to look at the higher level techs and unlock idea branches, I think I found all the discipline buffs outside of events:

:getin:

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
What's happening with everyone's Portugal games is they are accepting the call to arms from England in the French war for Calais. England then gets its rear end kicked because it has no chance against France and in the peace deals gives away your Morrocan Provinces to Morroco. I think. Somebody might want to see if it happens with the "allies negotiate for you " box unchecked.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Trujillo posted:

Have they given out the rewards from the recruitment campaign yet? I heard some people got them but I haven't. I also didn't get any response when I signed up for beta so I think paradox just hates my email.

Does anybody know either way?

Also some stuff I've found after a quick dig in the game files that I'm not sure has been mentioned anywhere:

There's 5 types of AI personality which I'm pretty sure is a whole new system for paradox games. There's capitalist, diplomat, militarist, colonialist, and balanced. Although it says new personalities can't be added to the file, that doesn't completely rule out that new hybrid personalities can't be added.

The personalities aren't hard coded to any one country though. There's a set of factors for an AI becoming a personality type like what ideas they've taken, how many cities they have, what government they are, ADM, MIL, or DIP rating (not sure if that's the ruler's rating or the country) with a few certain countries skewed one way or the other.

Muscowy/Russia, the Ottomans, and to a lesser extent France are skewed towards militarist. The Byzantines and Mamlukes are skewed towards diplomatic. Ming is even between diplomatic and capitalist with a smaller chance to go militarist and Portugal is the only one skewing colonialist.

I know the achievements have been known for a while but there's triggers for owning whole continents. Hopefully those can be used outside of achievements.

Future DLC from the event modifiers: "USA DLC," and "Muslim DLC," although the Muslim ones probably the one already known about. If you want to see what the US dlc might cover go to the bottom of the event modifiers file in common/event modifiers.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 8, 2013

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Does anyone know why Casablanca would just suddenly switch out of my territory and back to Morocco? I was playing Portugal, got the mission to take Casablanca, won the war, annexed it, and then just a short time later I noticed I had the "you have a claim on a province not in your territory" banner pop up again. So I mouse over it and it tells me I have a claim on...Casablanca :confused:

Sure enough, I scroll down to North Africa and the only provinces I have there are the two I started with, and Casablanca's a part of Morroco again. The war was over, it was definitely part of my country, and there were no rebels forcing reunification--or at the very least I never got any notification about rebels rising, winning sieges, or about losing the province. If that little banner saying I had a claim didn't show up I would have had no idea that I lost it.

You probably joined the war between England and France at the beginning, as England's ally. England then lost the war and the AI gave away your provinces as part of the peace deal. It's happened to a few of us. In future you probably want to make sure that the option on the war screen to let the AI war leader take care of peace negotiations isn't checked.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Elenkis posted:

You probably joined the war between England and France at the beginning, as England's ally. England then lost the war and the AI gave away your provinces as part of the peace deal. It's happened to a few of us. In future you probably want to make sure that the option on the war screen to let the AI war leader take care of peace negotiations isn't checked.

The weird thing is that I've joined plenty of wars after that first CtA from England and the box was never checked, I have no idea if it was in the first war though.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Hey Paradox devs

Don't know if this has been addressed but I saw this error in the demo tutorial:

I assume it's not meant to be 'Thou'

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

CK2 was pretty much my first proper paradox game and playing the EUIV demo I dunno. The UI just feels...sloppy? :ohdear:

Well, I think I'm beginning to find my way around but yeah, that's the first thing that really leapt out at me. I hosed around a fair bit in EU3 but never really got into it the way I did with CKII and given the myriad improvements that CKII made in the UI department, I guess I'm sort of surprised that the UI is just a slightly prettier version of the UI from EU3.

Now granted, EU4 has to convey quite a bit more information to the player so UI clutter is going to be something of an inevitably, but to speak to specifics, it's kind of disappointing to see, e.g., the notification system hasn't changed. You know, where you get a message that literally reads like a variation of: Hello <Nation State>, we are so very <Adjective> to have received your request for <Nature of Request>, all on separate lines. It just makes if _feel_ like it's a computer program that's interpolating a variable into a string (which, obviously, it is, but CKII managed to do it without reminding you of that fact).

And while I realize it's entirely subjective, the actual aesthetics of the UI design seem like a step back from the nice clean lines and understated ornamentation of CKII.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Elenkis posted:

unwantedplatypus posted:

What's happening with everyone's Portugal games is they are accepting the call to arms from England in the French war for Calais. England then gets its rear end kicked because it has no chance against France and in the peace deals gives away your Morrocan Provinces to Morroco. I think. Somebody might want to see if it happens with the "allies negotiate for you " box unchecked.

:cripes:

Thanks for the answers, that helps a lot. I'll give it another try and break the alliance since it was responsible for all my troubles last game. I even read the other posts where that happened but since there's nothing in-game to indicate that that's what happened I didn't put 2 and 2 together.

Hopefully they can put out a day-one (or close to it) patch that puts in a pop-up for peace deals for wars you're involved in so this stops happening.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

edit: WELP, I should read the thread. How incredibly dumb. The AI should not be allowed to actually give away provinces of other members of the war if those provinces aren't currently occupied.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Just preordered 'cause I secretly am in love with Johan really want that save converter.

Non Sequitur
Apr 22, 2007
A queasy undergraduate scratching his pimples
Is the console disabled in the demo, or is there something I'm missing?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Despite the stupidity of randomly losing provinces because England randomly deciding you don't need them during peace negotiations, I do like that Morocco saw the writing on the walls and offered a peace deal when I just had 22 war score, because I completely crushed their army and there were 35,000 enemy troops marching across their land.

The Portugal/Casablanca fiasco just reaffirms my belief that the peace system needs a complete reworking from the ground-up. It's been roughly the same with some modifications here and there since EU1 and it's time that it gets changed. Peaces between more than two parties should be decided in conference, with truces called at the end of hostilities and peace offers negotiated between all parties somehow. If peace talks break down hostilities can begin again. England as a war leader might propose a deal to have Portugal cede Casablanca and Portugal should get a chance to veto said idea making England go back to the drawing board. Just one entity holding ultimate power in peace negotiations for each side with no one else getting a say unless they remember to uncheck a box is a bit daft.

edit: A type of system I'm imagining for peace deals is that at the end of the war you call a truce, a period of time in which peace gets negotiated. An interface becomes available where the parties can lobby for/against certain gains and concessions, and can spend diplomatic power to influence the final results, maybe modified by their relative contributions. After a few months, talks end. If a nation was completely crushed in the war, they wouldn't have any real ability at all to try to influence the results but if it was just a marginal defeat they may have room to try to change the provinces being exchanged or maybe even shift some of the burden to other nations on their side. War targets would have to always be guaranteed to be obtainable by the claimant if they have the warscore. If it's a small nation that is 100% occupied and annexation is available, that should still just be an automatic thing. If the negotiations are just between two nations, they'll end up being a lot simpler or maybe even just use the old system.

I dunno, that's just an idea but I feel like it anything to make peace negotiations more interesting and involved would be a positive step. The downside of such a thing is that it might be too overwhelming/tedious to mange if you end up in a lot of wars, or if you just want to make a quick strike for a single province or whatever it might be more hassle for little gain (but in that case, don't call in allies you don't need?)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 8, 2013

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Is the demo version the same as the beta version available to the testers which was supposedly behind the release version, or is the AI behavior in the demo more like the final product?

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

edit: WELP, I should read the thread. How incredibly dumb. The AI should not be allowed to actually give away provinces of other members of the war if those provinces aren't currently occupied.

I believe this only works for non-core provinces. It seems like a nice counter-imperialism measure (helps deal with Castille blobbing across Africa), but you're right that it should probably be toned down or reworked. And that checkbox should be on by default.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Walliard posted:

I believe this only works for non-core provinces. It seems like a nice counter-imperialism measure (helps deal with Castille blobbing across Africa), but you're right that it should probably be toned down or reworked. And that checkbox should be on by default.

It can happen with any province that can be exchanged during a peace deal, so you can make a country give up a province that another country has a core on during a peace deal. Morocco keeps a core on Casablanca and therefore keeps their claim on it, and will hold that claim even after you core it. It's a decent option to have during a peace deal, but it should come at the consent of the nation giving it up, unless that nation is utterly crushed (which portugal would not be, they're likely untouched in most cases)

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

SkySteak posted:

Hey Paradox devs

Don't know if this has been addressed but I saw this error in the demo tutorial:

I assume it's not meant to be 'Thou'

Likewise, with the trade mapmode, if you mouse over the country flags below trade nodes, it says "Venice is wields 20 power in this node.", probably want to get rid of that "is".

Also one of the Ottomans national decisions seems to not have any localisations set; just says "unify_islam_title"

Allyn fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 9, 2013

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Really digging all the improvements. At first I was a bit underwhelmed by the new Trade system, but I realised it's just different than I've initially expected - more about expanding strategically rather than shuffling the merchants around.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Kind of weirded out by the units moving across the screen. But it didn't take long to fall into a familiar EU rhythm. Good work guys!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

edit: A type of system I'm imagining for peace deals is that at the end of the war you call a truce, a period of time in which peace gets negotiated. An interface becomes available where the parties can lobby for/against certain gains and concessions, and can spend diplomatic power to influence the final results, maybe modified by their relative contributions. After a few months, talks end. If a nation was completely crushed in the war, they wouldn't have any real ability at all to try to influence the results but if it was just a marginal defeat they may have room to try to change the provinces being exchanged or maybe even shift some of the burden to other nations on their side. War targets would have to always be guaranteed to be obtainable by the claimant if they have the warscore. If it's a small nation that is 100% occupied and annexation is available, that should still just be an automatic thing. If the negotiations are just between two nations, they'll end up being a lot simpler or maybe even just use the old system.

I dunno, that's just an idea but I feel like it anything to make peace negotiations more interesting and involved would be a positive step. The downside of such a thing is that it might be too overwhelming/tedious to mange if you end up in a lot of wars, or if you just want to make a quick strike for a single province or whatever it might be more hassle for little gain (but in that case, don't call in allies you don't need?)

Yeah, it'd be really nice to see something like this in a future expansion. With the current system, it seems like historical results like the Peace of Westphalia are pretty much out. MM/SRI had complicated event sequences for massive religious wars but if it multilateral diplomacy were a basic feature, it might actually work!

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

One thing I noticed when playing as the Ottomans was that I had no holy war or other CBs to try and get me to expand into europe, so I would have to take each province for full badboy cost. Even when unlocking the first religious idea I didn't have a CB on catholics, only Shiite Muslims.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

V for Vegas posted:

Kind of weirded out by the units moving across the screen. But it didn't take long to fall into a familiar EU rhythm. Good work guys!

It looks especially odd when at a high speed. I assume option "Moving units" is meant to toggle that feature but it either doesn't seem to work, or does something different. It's really difficult to follow the paths of boats when looking at the map at high speed because they just appear so jittery. Constantly moving slowly then appearing somewhere else.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I only had it at 3 and it looked like a Benny Hill sketch with everything running everywhere.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

V for Vegas posted:

They've definitely fallen into the uncanny valley here. It's such a jerky toy soldier feel. Like the arrow updates by its 20% or whatever and the unit model is like "Oh poo poo, wait up!" It just breaks down completely when there's only a couple day travel time. If there's a working option to disable them then I am.

I'm using the demo as confirmation of why the Political map sucks: the physical map is more transparent than Vicky 2 or CK2, so the detail that was exported to the texture from CK2 isn't visible anymore. It'd look less like playdough if the colormap.dds opacity was 15%-20% higher.

*e* After I get back from running I'm going to set Player Handicap to some absurdity and see how this baby really handles on these winding mountain roads. I wonder how much of the world I can conquer in 28 years?

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 9, 2013

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

France totally came after me as Portugal in that war with Britain. Landed a few guys while I was distracted taking Casablanca, but I easily repelled them. Then I spaced on paying attention again/using my navy to prevent more invasions and they brought more than I could handle. Refused all my peace offers throughout but eventually took a white peace with Britain despite occupying three or four of my provinces, and I guess that ended my war too?

The end of a war you're involved in really should be a pause/popup by default. When I noticed a month later or whenever I couldn't even find the terms in the message log, had to look under History. Do love all the stuff about monarch points and such though.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
There's supposed to be a popup. Wiz said it's a bug on the Paradox boards.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Hey Wiz/Johan, can we please get this new diplomacy system ported back into CK2? :unsmith:

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

What determines whether or not I can fabricate a claim, does anyone know? Playing as the Ottomans but I can't fabricate one on Bosnia (which I border) but I can on Ragusa (which I don't). It just says "Has no possible neighboring province to fabricate a claim on", but doesn't explain why...

Also the province history button is rad as hell and I hope that shows up in CK2 too

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I tried starting CK2 as Ua Briain but it seems like The Old Gods expansion made him a lot tougher. My levies can't compete with any neighbors and I'm pretty hemmed in. Is there another good "beginner's" lord to start The Old Gods with?

Orv
May 4, 2011

synertia posted:

I tried starting CK2 as Ua Briain but it seems like The Old Gods expansion made him a lot tougher. My levies can't compete with any neighbors and I'm pretty hemmed in. Is there another good "beginner's" lord to start The Old Gods with?

If you're starting in the non-TOG start date it isn't too much harder than it used to be. Train troops in Thomond, bribe/revoke Ragnvald/Ormond, crush Desmond, revoke Desmond, fabricate on Ossory or Leinster (I prefer Ossory because he's always trying to do the same to you), slowly snowball across Ireland. The only real potential problems are Dublin having a peasant revolt and having way more troops than you until you're King or almost-King, and Scotland will probably nab Ulster. Those are things you deal with later on in the day though.

If you're starting in 866... don't? I have no idea about the situation then.

Orv fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 9, 2013

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Orv posted:

Train troops in Thomond, bribe/revoke Ragnvald/Ormond, crush Desmond, revoke Desmond, fabricate on Ossory or Leinster (I prefer Ossory because he's always trying to do the same to you), slowly snowball across Ireland.

I think my problem is in Ormond since I wasn't revoking his title. I guess I can get better levies if I install somebody who likes me in there, huh?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ragnvald starts off hating your guts, so yeah. An honorary title and a gift are enough (usually, RNG and such) to bump him into giving you enough troops to crush Desmond. I wouldn't recommend revoking Ormond before claiming and revoking Desmond, because if you do the bribe/title with Ragnvald he'll like you enough to ride along on the "Revoke the County of Desmond" plot. Then you can just force revoke Ormond because who gives a poo poo what a bunch of mayors and bishops think of you?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

synertia posted:

I think my problem is in Ormond since I wasn't revoking his title. I guess I can get better levies if I install somebody who likes me in there, huh?

You should hold it yourself, assuming you have the demesne limit to do so. Which, given that you only have Desmond, shouldn't be an issue.

Non Sequitur
Apr 22, 2007
A queasy undergraduate scratching his pimples

Orv posted:

If you're starting in the non-TOG start date it isn't too much harder than it used to be. Train troops in Thomond, bribe/revoke Ragnvald/Ormond, crush Desmond, revoke Desmond, fabricate on Ossory or Leinster (I prefer Ossory because he's always trying to do the same to you), slowly snowball across Ireland. The only real potential problems are Dublin having a peasant revolt and having way more troops than you until you're King or almost-King, and Scotland will probably nab Ulster. Those are things you deal with later on in the day though.

If you're starting in 866... don't? I have no idea about the situation then.

There's a faster way. You start with a courtier with claims on two Ulster counties. You can land him (give him Ormond) and press his claims, which will make him adore you. Then you just need to fabricate one claim in Ulster, make the duchy, and get the fourth from de jure. That gives you 7 counties, which is enough to form Ireland.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I really like the new siege system, I must say. Having a die roll every couple weeks is way better than CK2's intrusive popup event and they are same thing. Siege events are probably the worst part of CK2. It might be the same drat thing as EU3, but at least it's transparent this time.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I really like the new siege system, I must say. Having a die roll every couple weeks is way better than CK2's intrusive popup event and they are same thing. Siege events are probably the worst part of CK2. It might be the same drat thing as EU3, but at least it's transparent this time.

Totally agreed with this. Either it's a big improvement over EU3, or it's the same as EU3 but now it actually tells you what's going on. Either way it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Help me I need a way to give my money to Paradox pronto

My Venice game ended like, a week after I finally managed to crush the last army of the Lombardy-led anti-Venetian coalition. Also I somehow ended up with a 4/4/4 leader after an election? That man stayed in until his death, raking up those +1 to stats and leaving my Republican Tradition wrecked.

• Locked thread