Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Bongo Bill posted:

Nobody's deserving of contempt just for preferring to exclude that from their leisure.

This is all in good fun, right?

SMG's contempt for me is only fair, since I contemn him extremely. His contempt for the audience, and--well, for his own intellectual integrity on the other hand...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Bonaventure posted:

SMG's contempt for me is only fair, since I contemn him extremely. His contempt for the audience, and--well, for his own intellectual integrity on the other hand...

This thread was so much better before the movie came out.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

OldPueblo posted:

Please deconstruct the bulldog's weight for me, I know it must mean something since they showed the dog a lot. I mean your average dog is fairly svelte, but they went with a dog that is really stocky. Does its safety "weigh" heavily on Chuck's conscience? Is the fact that it's a wide-set animal key us into the wide range of emotions that play between father and son? Was he loving the dog and we in turn are loving our dogs metaphorically when we don't take care of our mother earth?

The dog actually is deliberately employed as a metaphor for the jaegers and 'the drift'. Del Toro's said as much in interviews. The father and son have trouble expressing love for eachother directly, so they communicate through the dog. I don't think it's clearly conveyed in the film, but the idea is that the Jaegers are like dogs in that they are not human, but are elevated to the level of characters because of their connection to their owners. You should feel empathy for the robot even though it is just a puppet.

(See the scene where the protagonists talk about the robot's heart, obviously referring to themselves.)

That, of course, returns to my original point that Gipsy Danger doesn't have a personality and doesn't not really become its own character. When it's torn apart and then explodes at the end, I didn't really care because it's just a car with legs. (Contrast this with Toy Story 3, Ghost in the Shell films, etc.) That the robot isn't uncannily human is not necessarily a failing, but it is noteworthy.

The hirsute dog also ties into the encounter with hirsute Leatherback, and the scene where father and son bond over (in this case) their mutual reaction against the creature. This all goes back to the point about the heroes forming an organic community that unites through exclusion.

If I recall, they make a point of the dog being female as well.

You get a lot dog imagery in films about cyborgs because they explore this grey area between human and not-human.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

They make a point of saying it is a male dog. When the dog sees Mako Hercules gives a line about his getting excited when it sees a pretty girl.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

The dog actually is deliberately employed as a metaphor for the jaegers and 'the drift'. Del Toro's said as much in interviews. The father and son have trouble expressing love for eachother directly, so they communicate through the dog.

Max is a male dog. Chuck calls him a good boy at several points. Max and Chuck are pretty much there to be deliberately compared - both swagger around 'as only a fat bulldog can' with their broad chest and lack of understanding of what's going on around them ("It's MY bomb run!") But Chuck's loving treatment of Max is what foreshadows the fact that he's a decent person beneath his egotistical braggadocio.

The Hansens definitely communicate through Max. When Chuck leaves, he doesn't kiss or even really hug Herc - he kisses Max on his wrinkly forehead. I can't be the only one who sees Chuck doing that as an echo of how his father would probably say goodbye to him before going on a Jaeger drop.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Tezcatlipoca posted:

They make a point of saying it is a male dog. When the dog sees Mako Hercules gives a line about his getting excited when it sees a pretty girl.

Ah, I remembered the dog's name being Rosy or something, but turns out it was Max.

That's actually a good observation there, though. When he says the dog find the girl attractive, he's very obviously using the dog as a vehicle to express his own feelings.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Ah, I remembered the dog's name being Rosy or something, but turns out it was Max.

That's actually a good observation there, though. When he says the dog find the girl attractive, he's very obviously using the dog as a vehicle to express his own feelings.

Could even be a subtle dig at Chuck, depending on how you read Chuck and Mako. But good point!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It did seem like Chuck was a bit jealous over Raleigh and Mako throughout, so I'm inclined to think Herc was treating Max (again) as a surrogate for Chuck when he made that remark.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Dessel posted:

Ugh, I managed to skim backwards to page 193 before giving up. I liked the film, I think it might've been best dose of entertainment I've had in such a short time, ever. I didn't understand why Hannibal was even in the film though, seemed like such a waste of screen time. I tried searching the thread, but wasn't it kind of obvious that Mako's father was the co-pilot of Coyte Tango with Stacker and her father dying in that battle we saw in the flashback. Well, apparently not according to the wiki. Meh. I felt it was being alluded to constantly. Would've made perfect sense why Stacker took such a fatherly role and why Mako accepted it.

I don't think Mako ever had any relationship with Stacker prior to the attack on Japan. From Mako's flashback and point of view as a child, it looked like Mako and Stacker were the only people alive left in the city which is where their bond starts

T.G. Xarbala posted:

It did seem like Chuck was a bit jealous over Raleigh and Mako throughout, so I'm inclined to think Herc was treating Max (again) as a surrogate for Chuck when he made that remark.

I don't think Chuck was jealous of Rayleigh and Mako, Chuck is a professional who has been raised and trained to be a pilot for all his life. Rayleigh and Mako are a call back to the wilder days when Jaegar pilots acted like rock stars and could do whatever they want. Gipsy Danger arguably lost because hotshot jaegar pilots couldn't take orders.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Chuck? Professional? The guy who is so obviously all the worst parts of that rock star mentality? The guy who takes his little fat bulldog everywhere he goes (which, as SMG points out, could be a status symbol)? Herc is a professional, his son clearly isn't despite how he has been raised.

Raleigh gets along better with Herc, Stacker and Mako. In the novel, Chuck openly insults the Wei triplets and the Kaidonovskys. Chuck is clearly jockeying for the alpha position in the Hong Kong Shatterdome with the tragedy being that no one else cares. Chuck is Raleigh at the start of the film. There is no way Chuck wasn't milking the fame and benefits of being a Jaeger pilot for all they were worth.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 9, 2013

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Dessel posted:

v Due to the aforementioned connections I spoke of it would make almost too much sense regardless. One could ask why she was alone there with no people in sight in the first place, though?
Next thing you'll ask is how sun conveniently shined over Stacker in the end of that scene. It's a child's memory, it didn't happen exactly that way. She was alone in it because there wasn't anyone around who cared about her, even if there probably were some people around.
Even if Stacker in reality just stumbled out of half-trashed jaeger and collapsed like Raleigh after solo piloting, Mako still remembers him like shining knight/Jesus or whatever.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Aug 9, 2013

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Milky Moor posted:

Chuck? Professional? The guy who is so obviously all the worst parts of that rock star mentality? The guy who takes his little fat bulldog everywhere he goes (which, as SMG points out, could be a status symbol)? Herc is a professional, his son clearly isn't despite how he has been raised.

Raleigh gets along better with Herc, Stacker and Mako. In the novel, Chuck openly insults the Wei triplets and the Kaidonovskys. Chuck is clearly jockeying for the alpha position in the Hong Kong Shatterdome with the tragedy being that no one else cares. Chuck is Raleigh at the start of the film. There is no way Chuck wasn't milking the fame and benefits of being a Jaeger pilot for all they were worth.

Chuck is a professional by Australian athlete standards. Which means that he's a complete and utter shithead with no tact or respect whatsoever, unless there's a camera pointed at him, and even then it's a bit nebulous.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
So this is now in Japan. I wonder if it'll break any records there.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

The dog actually is deliberately employed as a metaphor for the jaegers and 'the drift'. Del Toro's said as much in interviews. The father and son have trouble expressing love for eachother directly, so they communicate through the dog.

Related to that, it's interesting that the dog is never used to communicate anything negative, even indirectly (e.g. by placing the dog in peril so we feel something bad while it's on screen.) We also don't get the "dog being sad when owner is gone" thing. The dog is only shown as something that interacts with people and its environment in a positive way. Which of course is perfect if it's a metaphor for the drift, which is in essence "human togetherness saves the day."

In Transformers movies the robot protagonists have bad characteristics associated with dogs, down to humping on legs.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
Well that backfired on me.

A Dirty Sock
Nov 4, 2005

Death to Legoland!

OldPueblo posted:

Don't feel bad. del Toro and Beacham straight out stated that the dog was there for the Hansens to communicate through since they were so bad at talking to each other. All the things they couldn't say to each other they said to the dog.

Edit: Which is to say that people have already had ample time to consider the meaning behind the dog.

A Dirty Sock fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 9, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

OldPueblo posted:

Not really, it resulted in something interesting.

How's Japan looking? Has Knifehead-Kun totally melted down at this point?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

OldPueblo posted:

Nah, this discussion's been much more interesting than continuing arguments on the facist/nazi/racist/feminist/whateverist interpretations of the movie and its "message." I've actually been paying attention for once.

By the way everyone, remember: China's got some sort of dispute going on with the movie industry; I don't think foreign companies have been getting their 20% of the profits. Bad news for Pacific Rim in that case; here's hoping Japan makes quite a bit.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Responding positively to fascist themes does not mean you politically support the Third Reich. The cultural aspects of fascism (and also the political ones) are hugely popular with humans. It is not a big deal.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

A Dirty Sock posted:

Don't feel bad. del Toro and Beacham straight out stated that the dog was there for the Hansens to communicate through since they were so bad at talking to each other. All the things they couldn't say to each other they said to the dog.

In fact, Robert Kazinsky (kinda jokingly) has complained about his lack of scenes without the dog.

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movies/true-blood-actor-robert-kazinsky-talks-genre-pacific-rim-role/#/0

quote:

HC: Whose idea was the bulldog?

RK: That was Guillermo’s idea. It was a bit of a bone of contention for me. I even said to Guillermo, I said, “Dude, can I just have one scene where it’s about me and not the dog? Can I have one scene where I can really do some really heavy-duty acting?” He said to me, and I’ll never forget it, “There is not a single scene in the world that’s not made better and more poignant by having a dog in it.” The dog’s name was Max, ironically, and we ended up using Max for so many things. The story was that Herc and Chuck have difficulty communicating, that they communicated via the dog, and all the love that they couldn’t show each other they would show the dog. Max became a very important part of this triumvirate of me, Max and Max.

As for the Japanese release, still no news. Its first day should be mostly wrapped up by now though, so it'll be interesting to see how the homeland of the mecha genre compares to its next door neighbour. Also curious if Del Toro has seen the Tetsujin 28 statue, since he's now definitely been to the Gundam exhibition.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Dessel posted:

I tried searching the thread, but wasn't it kind of obvious that Mako's father was the co-pilot of Coyte Tango with Stacker and her father dying in that battle we saw in the flashback. Well, apparently not according to the wiki. Meh. I felt it was being alluded to constantly. Would've made perfect sense why Stacker took such a fatherly role and why Mako accepted it.

I think Stacker was one of the original Mk1 pilots. I think it was implicit with only him coming out of the Jaegar plus the pills and (I could be remembering this incorrectly) explicitly he tells Raleigh that the only two pilots that piloted a Jaegar alone and survived were him and Raleigh.

Dessel posted:

Also, being a terrible person who watches anime, I fully expected (due to Evangelion) the ending to say that "No, wait, you don't need a corpse because those machines are kaijis", even if it wouldn't make sense from logistical standpoint. I kept thinking that Stacker's nosebleeds were extremely fishy, almost as if he was communing with the kaijis himself.

While I think that was a side effect of what I mentioned previously, if the film took a direction like Eva that would have been really cool, though it doesn't fit my own reading of the film.

EDIT - the name game.

The Meat Dimension fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 9, 2013

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
What's the deal with the shoes

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

A Dirty Sock posted:

Is it unacceptable to say people are "media illiterate" if they didn't understand this even when he was literally saying "I love you" to the dog instead of his father?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

PerrineClostermann posted:

Nah, this discussion's been much more interesting than continuing arguments on the facist/nazi/racist/feminist/whateverist interpretations of the movie and its "message." I've actually been paying attention for once.

This isn't a different argument. It's the same subject about empathy and how people interact with the inhuman and nonhuman. The treatment of Max by his owners can be extrapolated outwards and compared to the treatment of the kaiju by society.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

This isn't a different argument. It's the same subject about empathy and how people interact with the inhuman and nonhuman. The treatment of Max by his owners can be extrapolated outwards and compared to the treatment of the kaiju by society.

A 40 pound domesticated wolf specifically bred over 10,000 years to be man's companion, whose primary behaviors consist waddling around and being cute = 2500 ton extra-dimensional killing machine designed to smash into populated areas and kill everyone. Society should be expected to treat both equally.

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.

Sugoi Pilot-san posted:

I think Stacker was one of the original Mk1 pilots. I think it was implicit with only him coming out of the Jaegar plus the pills and (I could be remembering this incorrectly) explicitly he tells Max that the only two pilots that piloted a Jaegar alone and survived were him and Max.
Yeah, Stacker drove Coyote Tango, which was a Mk1. I think he was referring to Raleigh as the other pilot who sucessfully soloed in a jaeger though, not Max.

quote:

While I think that was a side effect of what I mentioned previously, if the film took a direction like Eva that would have been really cool, though it doesn't fit my own reading of the film.
GDT pretty explicitly said that the sequel would involve jaeger/kaiju hybrids, so your eva-as-gently caress dreams may yet come true.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

A 40 pound domesticated wolf specifically bred over 10,000 years to be man's companion, whose primary behaviors consist waddling around and being cute = 2500 ton extra-dimensional killing machine designed to smash into populated areas and kill everyone. Society should be expected to treat both equally.

Of course not! Kaiju are shown to be much smarter than dogs. They should be treated better.

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013

Of course not! Kaiju are shown to be much smarter than dogs. They should be treated better.

When?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

When Newton communicates with them, and discovers that they can (and do) understand such concepts as colonialism and genetics.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

When Newton communicates with them, and discovers that they can (and do) understand such concepts as colonialism and genetics.

I feel that's un-verifiable until someone drifts with a dog. Dog's might just be jerks.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

OldPueblo posted:

I feel that's un-verifiable until someone drifts with a dog. Dog's might just be jerks.

You're right, I verified by drifting with a cat.

A Dirty Sock
Nov 4, 2005

Death to Legoland!

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Is it unacceptable to say people are "media illiterate" if they didn't understand this even when he was literally saying "I love you" to the dog instead of his father?

Only if you consider these people too stupid to be able to learn how to pick up the finer details. We've all had to start from somewhere in learning analysis and words like "illiterate" are too emotionally charged to label people you should be engaging in a conversation with.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I assert that, when a person is over-awed by natural disaster footage, nobody accuses them of wanting to gently caress tsunamis. That, alone, destroys the 'they're just weather' argument.

"In a severe lightning storm, you wanna grab your ankles and stick your butt in the air." - Twister (1996)

That also being the movie where the entire plot is about trying to maneuver "Dorothy" into what they refer to as "The Suck Zone."

PS1 Hagrid
Sep 17, 2007

Saw the movie. Hyped myself too much before seeing it and thought it was okay.

Absolutely hated how the movie revolved mostly around Gipsy Danger and Crimson Typhoon and Cherno Alpha died like five minutes after their introduction. If anything this movie needed a final battle with every Jaeger alive and a cheesy, underlying "power of teamwork" mentality. Replace Striker Eureka and the portable nuke with Cherno Alpha sacrificing itself in a mushroom cloud and you're golden.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Are you sure Newt didn't just extrapolate this from what he saw? It didn't seem like the drift was so much of a conversation as it was flashes of images. Seeing the assembly line etc. and the "masters" could easily have led him to this conclusion, which seems much more likely IMO.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Newt drifts with a Kaiju, Kaiju is connected to the Hivemind, the Overseers are also connected to the Hivemind, Newt receives the thoughts of the Overseers through this Hivemind interface, SMG takes this to be actual Kaiju thoughts and builds a theory around this.

This is akin to watching a remote philosophical debate through a television and believing that the television itself is the one quoting Plato.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Why are you drawing a sharp distinction between the monsters (kaiju), the hivemind, and the overseers.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry Bit posted:

Saw the movie. Hyped myself too much before seeing it and thought it was okay.

Absolutely hated how the movie revolved mostly around Gipsy Danger and Crimson Typhoon and Cherno Alpha died like five minutes after their introduction. If anything this movie needed a final battle with every Jaeger alive and a cheesy, underlying "power of teamwork" mentality. Replace Striker Eureka and the portable nuke with Cherno Alpha sacrificing itself in a mushroom cloud and you're golden.

I did the same thing but I blame the movie for having too many humans in it and being generally uninteresting but particularly poor pacing/dialogue instead of myself for having expectations that could not realistically be met. cool soundtrack though

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

euphronius posted:

Why are you drawing a sharp distinction between the monsters (kaiju), the hivemind, and the overseers.

Because that's what the film does?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Sir Kodiak posted:

"In a severe lightning storm, you wanna grab your ankles and stick your butt in the air." - Twister (1996)

That also being the movie where the entire plot is about trying to maneuver "Dorothy" into what they refer to as "The Suck Zone."

Exactly; that's the opposite of what's going on here. In Twister, characters struggle to anthropomorphze abstract weather phenomena, where here characters use meteorological language to objectify relatively anthropomorphic creatures. (The kaiju are both intelligent and were deliberately given humanlike suitmation proportions.)

The Twister characters, with their jerry-rigged tech and emphasis on understanding rather than exploiting, are way more Newton than than the other characters anywho. Compare the scene where Hunt and Paxton enter the glowing eye of an F5 tornado to the scene where the glowing tongue reaches out to Newton. In Twister, it's the climax, but in Pacific Rim, Gipsy Danger interrupts, provokes a fight, and the film keeps going for another half hour.

• Locked thread