Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Housh posted:

Ok so I finished part 1 in dead souls and goddamn is the camera and aiming a nightmare.
Somehow it actually gets worse later on, there are a couple of really miserable boss fights. The non-shooting parts are great though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Welper
Nov 27, 2007
Don't... Touch... The Case.
Isn't the secret for Dead Souls to NOT aim when you're using a gun? That is the manliest manly way.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Pretty much. The characters' auto-aim is far more efficient 90% of the time than your own manual aiming, so you should just let them handle it. They purposely designed the shooting in a way that Japanese gamers who aren't familiar with shooting could play the game.

vvv This actually works too.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 9, 2013

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

The Welper posted:

Isn't the secret for Dead Souls to NOT aim when you're using a gun? That is the manliest manly way.
It's been awhile, but I seem to recall finding it a lot easier using one of the alternate control schemes, and then just toggling between aiming and not aiming, and squeezing off shots between. So in a crowd of zombies, hitting the aim button (snapping to the nearest enemy), firing, releasing the aim button, hitting the aim button again, firing again, and so on.

I might be misremembering, but I recall feeling like it was clumsy as hell for the first half hour or so, then changing how I was approaching it, and then it just sorta took care of itself.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

A "surprise Yakuza announcement" is coming August 18th, following the results of the Yakuza character popularity fan poll.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
"Surprise! Dragon of Dojima version of WiiU!" :v:
or some more obscure product placements, I'm guessing.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

SubG posted:

It's been awhile, but I seem to recall finding it a lot easier using one of the alternate control schemes, and then just toggling between aiming and not aiming, and squeezing off shots between. So in a crowd of zombies, hitting the aim button (snapping to the nearest enemy), firing, releasing the aim button, hitting the aim button again, firing again, and so on.

I might be misremembering, but I recall feeling like it was clumsy as hell for the first half hour or so, then changing how I was approaching it, and then it just sorta took care of itself.
That's how I managed it, and it worked pretty handily. Especially once you get the ability that atuomatically places the target on the closest zombie's head (which you get pretty early, if I recall, but you have to go looking for it).

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Policenaut posted:

A "surprise Yakuza announcement" is coming August 18th, following the results of the Yakuza character popularity fan poll.
Stop doing bullshit surprises and just tell us if you're EVER going to bother bringing 5 over :colbert: loving hell these guys are annoying.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Housh posted:

Ok so I finished part 1 in dead souls and goddamn is the camera and aiming a nightmare. It's pure torture as the cutscenes and story are great. Even though it's been super easy playing on normal so far I am thinking of putting down to Easy so I can fly through it. I don't get it...the shooting in Binary Domain was fine. How did they botch this?

So, I played it a while ago... but it's really easy to abuse the snap-to feature to aim at zombies' heads, so... do that.

I guess I'm alone in really loving this game.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

The zombies are fine. The bosses are what make me stop and take long breaks from the game because they are lame bullet sponges and boring as hell to fight. But I have to admit Daigo dressed in drag was pretty hilarious. Moments like that make it almost worth it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Housh posted:

The zombies are fine. The bosses are what make me stop and take long breaks from the game because they are lame bullet sponges and boring as hell to fight. But I have to admit Daigo dressed in drag was pretty hilarious. Moments like that make it almost worth it.
As the only Yakuza game I haven't played the poo poo out of (other than the demo), I'm always torn on this one. It's been quite a few months since I finished 5 (after putting 100+ hours in) and maybe I'd go for about anything Yakuza related at this point.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

As the only Yakuza game I haven't played the poo poo out of (other than the demo), I'm always torn on this one. It's been quite a few months since I finished 5 (after putting 100+ hours in) and maybe I'd go for about anything Yakuza related at this point.

Just buy 1&2 HD or something.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

I guess I'm alone in really loving this game.
I loved it too. I actually need to go back and finish it: my kid destroyed the disk and I had to buy a new copy, but now she's old enough to pay attention and it's not really kid-friendly. :/

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I loved Dead Souls as well, but then again, I've loved every Yakuza game I've played (3, 4, and Dead Souls). Where's 5, Sega? :smith:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ryuga Death posted:

I loved Dead Souls as well, but then again, I've loved every Yakuza game I've played (3, 4, and Dead Souls). Where's 5, Sega? :smith:
Right where it's always been...?

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

I meant a localized version for America, unless there's one out already and I somehow missed it?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ryuga Death posted:

I meant a localized version for America, unless there's one out already and I somehow missed it?
Nope, and it probably won't happen. My point is that it DOES exist. It might be worth importing even with no Japanese, honestly. What to do is always driven by markers on the map, and if you've played other Yakuza games you already know how to fight.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Nope, and it probably won't happen. My point is that it DOES exist. It might be worth importing even with no Japanese, honestly. What to do is always driven by markers on the map, and if you've played other Yakuza games you already know how to fight.

Policenaut posted:

Well, let's not give up all hope yet. Speaking of Dead Souls, is it me or is it drat near impossible to get the very hard batting cage score for Haruka's Trust? Any tricks?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Why would the announcement of an English localization be done in Shinjuku?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Why would the announcement of an English localization be done in Shinjuku?

Not agreeing in any way, but since when has Sega done anything that made sense at all?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

If you're holding out for a surprise Japanese localization announcement, you're probably waiting for TGS.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Just like Capcom did with Breath of Fire 6, Sega will announce Yakuza 6 as a social mobile MMO of some sort.

Surprise! :toot:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Skeezy posted:

Just like Capcom did with Breath of Fire 6, Sega will announce Yakuza 6 as a social mobile MMO of some sort.

Surprise! :toot:
Kiryu himself will become real through sheer force of outrage, bust into the Yakuza Team headquarters and stomp on everyone's face.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

If Y5 English localization isn't announced at TGS I'm gonna import it and bug you guys for help unless there are good English guides out there already.

As for Dead Souls...I am going nuts trying to beat the spider thing at the batting cage with Majima.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Housh posted:

As for Dead Souls...I am going nuts trying to beat the spider thing at the batting cage with Majima.

Just keep moving, rolling and shooting. Luckily I had a lot of assault rifle ammo with me too which certainly made it easier. Also be sure to do an action shot or whatever when it jumps at you, if you hit it the thing'll take a lot of damage (Depending on the weapon you used) and flip on it's back, giving you some time for a lot of free damage.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
If you don't have Majima's automatic shotgun already then get it. It's so drat overpowered and will tear anything, including that boss apart.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Well, if you were hoping Yakuza 1&2 HD for Wii U would spark some kind of relationship between Sega and Nintendo then you're in for some disappointment. The game came out last week and failed to chart in the Top 50 best sellers of that week, meaning we have no idea how it actually sold. For those curious, #50 was a PS3 The Best re-release of Battlefield 3. It sold close to 1900 copies.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Why does anyone even make games for the WiiU? I mean seriously.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Because they are
  • actually using the Wii U's features, OR
  • are bad at business, OR
  • are developed or published by Nintendo
Note that none of these ORs are exclusive.

Although I'm beginning to suspect I could be generally right with just the last point, but Yakuza is probably because Sega falls into category 2.

v v v Oh yeah, quickie cash-ins. Okay, four reasons, none of which are mutually exclusive.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Aug 15, 2013

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Since the game assets were already complete, it wasn't that big an investment on Sega's part. And Nintendo is desperate enough for WiiU content that they probably sweetened the usual licensing arrangement a bit. Sega may not have made anything, but they didn't lose much.

Aside from continuing to break my heart and keep me from playing these things on my PS3 and paying them cash for it.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

How well did 1 + 2 HD sell on PS3 for comparison?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Policenaut posted:

Well, if you were hoping Yakuza 1&2 HD for Wii U would spark some kind of relationship between Sega and Nintendo then you're in for some disappointment. The game came out last week and failed to chart in the Top 50 best sellers of that week, meaning we have no idea how it actually sold. For those curious, #50 was a PS3 The Best re-release of Battlefield 3. It sold close to 1900 copies.

I am not disappointed at all. Keep Yakuza away from Nintendo. :colbert:

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Croccers posted:

Stop doing bullshit surprises and just tell us if you're EVER going to bother bringing 5 over :colbert: loving hell these guys are annoying.

Yakuza social card game for iOS coming right up!

Jamesman posted:

I am not disappointed at all. Keep Yakuza away from Nintendo. :colbert:

Yeah, except Sega is going to use this as an excuse not to bring PS3 port over and won't localize Yakuza 5 :(.

Surlaw posted:

How well did 1 + 2 HD sell on PS3 for comparison?

100K or so?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Oh my god. gently caress you Sega of Japan and Team Yakuza. You might as well have just stamped "no way you're getting this!" on our foreheads.

Ryu ga Gotoku KENZAN! 2. Or as it's actually known as "Ryu ga Gotoku ISHIN".

edit: People are saying this may be a Meiji era game because of the title, and that might actually be pretty badass. Way of the Samurai games during that period were always cool.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Aug 18, 2013

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I hate SEGA so loving much you don't even know.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I have never been so saddened by such an awesome announcement

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Everything about Yakuza makes me cry lately. At least I finally got 2 (in a Gamestop, no less) for an unreasonably low price on that deal.

precision posted:

I hate SEGA so loving much you don't even know.

And yet people want them to buy Atlus.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh god this news made my millennium. My favorite Japanese game series set in my favorite time in Japanese history, and Kiryu is now one of my favorite people from that time (Ryoma Sakamoto).

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
They didn't say which system it's coming out on.

Watch it be only available on mobile phones. :pwn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

"More than truth, here is 'Ryoma Sakamoto.'"

Ryu ga Gotoku ISHIN (Yakuza: Restoration)

• Locked thread