Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Illessa
Aug 31, 2012

DoctorTristan posted:

Come to think about it, the gaming press coverage at the time of their first fundraiser was all about "Hey, maybe there'll be an Eternal Darkness 2 after all this time!" with next to no mention of the multitude of shady and/or inept things about the whole setup. We're all familiar with the uselessness of gaming journalism, but even so you'd think that at least one outlet would be prepared to sound a note of caution about giving money to a man who has provably lied to a court (among other things).

Mmm, the only outlet I've consistently noticed providing "So there's hella shady stuff going on" links in all their coverage (or at least calling them out as such rather than treating them like neutral background reading on the studio) is RPS. Kotaku and Polygon both produced some hefty original articles on the subject but don't necessarily bring them up in general coverage which seems pretty irresponsible (and poor self-promotion).

Honestly if it were 3+ years ago, I'd have been among the suckers - I love Eternal Darkness and didn't particularly keep up with gaming news back then so the words "Silicon Knights" and "Dennis Dyack" meant nothing to me. On the other hand a major factor in my becoming more informed is my massive Kickstarter habit so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
The person who apparently wrote the Knock, Knock update imagined they'd be in Tahiti, drinking mai-tais. I imagined them huddled around a bare light bulb and a bottle of Stoli, or reenacting the plot of Carpenter's The Thing.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Bieeardo posted:

I imagined them huddled around a bare light bulb and a bottle of Stoli, or reenacting the plot of Carpenter's The Thing.
They're Russian. They call it вторник.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Every single update makes me happier that I backed Knock-Knock, and a little sadder that they weren't one of the crazy Kicstarters that made 1000%. I mean

quote:

“It’s a game about fighting madness. About the death of consciousness. We wanted to simulate the perception of a man who walks the line of sanity.”
“The player is supposed to feel discomfort, because everything is not what it seems. The house refuses to be a home. But he also wants to find the source of his discomfort, and the source sits in front of the monitor, I hope.”

Nikolay pauses.

“Oh, you know what? I have no idea what the player is supposed to feel. It’s too hard a question.”

:pcgaming::hf::ussr:

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
This is a thing that's happening soon:

quote:

Project Phoenix - Japan's Indie Game Featuring AAA Talent

Project Phoenix today announced their intention to set up a Kickstarter to develop a Japanese role-playing game combined with Real Time Strategy. Uniting top developers from the East and West, Project Phoenix is the brainchild of game developer Hiroaki Yura, the founder of Creative Intelligence Arts. This fresh take on the JRPG genre features the art direction of Kiyoshi Arai, who brings experience from Final Fantasy XII and XIV, and music headed up by Nobuo Uematsu, the legendary composer of the Final Fantasy series, marking Uematsu's first ever commitment to an independent game project.

“For 25 years, I've been working on a lot of video game music like the Final Fantasy series. This is the first time I've worked on an independent game,” says Uematsu, Project Phoenix's lead composer. “Although it's fun to create a game within a large company, I've always been interested in being able to work in a small, passionate independent games team. I'm really looking forward to it.”

The development team members have an impressive array of credits, including the Final Fantasy series, Halo 4, Crysis 3, L.A. Noire, World of Warcraft, StarCraft II, Diablo III, Soulcalibur V, Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, Steins;Gate Fuka Ryōiki no Déjà vu, and much more. Several of the members are yet to be announced, including a secret designer from a leading anime mecha title that changed the course of Japanese pop culture's influence in the world.

The Project Phoenix Kickstarter is seeking $100,000 to fund the programming and artistic development of the game. Backers have the opportunity to secure digital and limited edition physical copies of the title, along with the chance to be featured as non-playable characters such as a bar owner with their own personal musical theme composed by Uematsu. Stretch goals also include the creation of additional areas, graphics and cinematics, as well as the talents of Grammy Award winning sound engineer John Kurlander (Lord of the Rings trilogy, Skyrim, The Beatles) and the Eminence Symphony Orchestra bringing the music of Uematsu and his co composers to life.

Players will follow the story of the amnesiac angel, Ruffles, who has landed in the world of Azuregard and encounters the troubled Templar, Marcus Stern. Together with the elven princess Sylrianah, who is reserved but curious to see the world beyond the forest, and Zarum the Lost, a battlemage with his own internal conflicts, they form an unlikely bond. These four heroes must discover their place in a world brought to war by misunderstanding and ignorance, and perhaps ultimately even save it from itself.

Project Phoenix is a sprawling adventure where you will travel and battle enemies across Azuregard. The game departs from traditional JRPG conventions through its use of RTS elements, yielding a combat system that is fast paced and dynamic. Furthermore, players can have their characters interact with environmental terrain features, be it rope bridges or boulders, to create tactical advantages.

Project Phoenix is scheduled for release in mid 2015 for PC, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android. Excited fans can venture to projectphoenix.info to learn more about the game's development and join the community forums. Game director Hiroaki Yura and team members will be there to answer fan questions about the development of Project Phoenix.

http://projectphoenix.info/

:getin:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

As cool as this is, $100k is not a lot at all. Is this game going to have like one dungeon?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

A Jim Butcher quote on the teaser page? 100k with a lot of talent? This is really odd.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Yatagarasu made it with 3 days left, now all they need is the stretch goal to add GGPO to the game for online play.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

GrandpaPants posted:

As cool as this is, $100k is not a lot at all. Is this game going to have like one dungeon?

A. Totally low-balling the amount they need
B. Low-end graphics
C. They've got additional funding from somewhere else
D. All of the above

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

Princeps32 posted:

I wanted to share this on behalf of a friend of mine who acted a small role in it.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/reactivestudios/codename-cygnus-an-interactive-radio-drama-for-ios

Codename Cygnus is billed as an "interactive radio drama" for iOS, with a spy theme (think 30's-era radio serials). The gameplay is mostly just listening and making choices, with some branching paths and dialogue based on your choices etc. Probably its biggest feature is professional voice acting (necessary for a game focused on radio-style drama), including Logan Cunningham, the voice actor of the narrator from Bastion, which I thought was pretty badass for a small project like this. They're already releasing the whole first mission regardless of if the kickstarter is successful. Definitely a niche title, but the goals seem very clear and focused and not insanely ambitious, and it has a pleasantly low kickstarter goal.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcNS7ljcjWU

Hey, just as an update, the game series is past its goal with a few days to spare! I'm not sure how much of it was you guys, but I know donations were pretty regular (and like three people donated a thousand dollars, that's nuts), so thanks if anyone here looked at this and supported it!

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Great Rumbler posted:

A. Totally low-balling the amount they need
B. Low-end graphics
C. They've got additional funding from somewhere else
D. All of the above

Low end graphics is probably the difference between like a $2M game and a $20M, not a $100K game.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Seashell Salesman posted:

Low end graphics is probably the difference between like a $2M game and a $20M, not a $100K game.

Which is why "All of the above" is almost certainly the correct choice here.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Great Rumbler posted:

Which is why "All of the above" is almost certainly the correct choice here.

Agreed. Speaking of, though, I'm kind of leery of games that are relying on some outside source of funding.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
With names like that, they'll get a hundred grand within the first few hours. If I were inclined to bet, I'd lay odds that they're counting on every last Final Fantasy fan turning out every pocket in their ridiculous getups, opening every chest, and smashing every vase to bring them over a couple of million.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Combines JRPG and RTS elements. Is this going to be a MOBA? Anime MOBA?

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

Bieeardo posted:

With names like that, they'll get a hundred grand within the first few hours. If I were inclined to bet, I'd lay odds that they're counting on every last Final Fantasy fan turning out every pocket in their ridiculous getups, opening every chest, and smashing every vase to bring them over a couple of million.

Yeah. I'm going to treat this as an Uematsu album kickstarter with a free game and throw all of my money at them.

GrandpaPants posted:

Their twitter says they're all independently wealthy enough to not need payment until after release or something.

quote:

Most of our staff are veterans in their field and do not need to be paid immediately for our work for this project
Regarding the Kickstarter minimum goal, we've set the goal enough to create our 3D models.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Here's the press release for Project Phoenix. I bolded the only important part.

The Marketing Department posted:

Players will follow the story of the amnesiac angel, Ruffles, who has landed in the world of Azuregard and encounters the troubled Templar, Marcus Stern. Together with the elven princess Sylrianah, who is reserved but curious to see the world beyond the forest, and Zarum the Lost, a battlemage with his own internal conflicts , they form an unlikely bond. These four heroes must discover their place in a world brought to war by misunderstanding and ignorance, and perhaps ultimately even save it from itself.

Project Phoenix is a sprawling adventure where you will travel and battle enemies across Azuregard. The game departs from traditional RPG conventions through its use of RTS elements, yieldinga combat system that is fast-paced and dynamic. Furthermore, players can have their characters interact with environmental terrain featuers, be it rope bridges or boulders, to create tactical advantages.

One of the main characters is an angel called Ruffles. :allears:

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

CottonWolf posted:

Here's the press release for Project Phoenix. I bolded the only important part.

One of the main characters is an angel called Ruffles. :allears:

Maybe this speculated outside funding is a Frito Lay sponsorship and this will be 2013's Cool Spot.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Black Talons is an interesting looking strategy game that is heavily "inspired" by the new xcom. The dev team have no real experience but the kick starter page suggests either that they have a flair for mock ups or are a decent way along.

It's a big gamble even if they do get funded. Plus they are Portuguese, but I think I will give them a shot.

Trying to paste a link to it though is a passion via mobile

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I just can't get over the names in that Phoenix Kickstarter. This is either going to be horrible or the greatest thing ever. The super-serious concept art makes it even better.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Well google doesn't bring up anything about Hiroaki Yura outside of the Phoenix website so it looks like he has no significant prior experience in game design, chalk that up as a red flag if you like.

Scratch that, he's actually a professional violinist who's using this to make the jump from videogame music directing to videogame project directing. Not sure if that's better or worse.

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Aug 9, 2013

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Renoistic posted:

I just can't get over the names in that Phoenix Kickstarter. This is either going to be horrible or the greatest thing ever. The super-serious concept art makes it even better.

Given that the lucky characters in Japanese games have names like Cloud Strife and the unlucky ones have names that are penis euphemisms, "Ruffles" seems tame.

Personally I'm not buying into Phoenix because it's a JRPG and hence no more than two steps distant from anime, but the names aren't something I'd single out as a problem.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Scratch that, he's actually a professional violinist who's using this to make the jump from videogame music directing to videogame project directing. Not sure if that's better or worse.

Will probably still do a better job than the directors Square has now.

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

I can't pledge to a game with an mc called Ruffles.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Satanos posted:

I sure as gently caress can.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I hadn't noticed that kickstarter wasn't up yet, so I decided to do a search for phoenix on the site and there are already 3 or so Project Phoenixes on there. One involving peppers.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Satanos posted:

Rou're raking Ruffles rry :negative:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Satanos posted:

Hey, at least it's better than Noctis Lucis Caelum.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Warmachine: Tactics is down to 14 hours now, and about 77k away from their next stretch goal to have Retribution of Scryah in the game at release. I know they have Paypal stuff going on too, and that will be factored into the count for stretch goals.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Pyrolocutus posted:

Warmachine: Tactics is down to 14 hours now, and about 77k away from their next stretch goal to have Retribution of Scryah in the game at release. I know they have Paypal stuff going on too, and that will be factored into the count for stretch goals.

I think they'll hit it. I keep checking the number and it's growing so fast. They're finishing so strong and I'm upping my pledge just for that last faction. Fingers are crossed!

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Yatagarasu is already past the GGPO stretch goal :woop:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
CANDLE is really worth a look. It's a neat platformer/adventure hybrid, the art style is fantastic, and the team behind it seems pretty cool. Awesome music too.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Game looks neat but :ughh:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Hell is wrong with Tim Schafer backing it? :colbert: Not the first time a game company does that.

If it's McGee than I agree with your sentiment. :v:

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Shindragon posted:

Hell is wrong with Tim Schafer backing it? :colbert: Not the first time a game company does that.

This may come as a surprise but Tim Schafer is not, in fact, backing candle

e: welp, I actually looked it up. I thought they were being wacky and having ~big names~ with ~funny endorsements~ but nope, I'm just an idiot, they've both backed the game.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Shindragon posted:

I'm not sure if Tim Schafer is the best person to take investment advice from.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Shindragon posted:

Yeah that :ughh: is a combination of

1) What he's wearing
2) What he says
3) That it's American McGee

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Calling it a hybrid is... stretching things, I think. There's vertical movement, but if that meandering block-dragging, pole-tipping animation is representative of the rest of the game, then it's not really... platformy except in the strictest sense of the term.

I tuned out when they said they were using Unity. Doesn't that have issues with strict 2D games?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Comrade Flynn posted:

I'm not sure if Tim Schafer is the best person to take investment advice from.

hahah OUCH. Touche.

edit: Actually Unity works well with 2D games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah there are now at least three different frameworks that make working in 2D in Unity fairly easy.