Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.
So I am in the market for a new laptop. My 2005 Macbook pro just died and in it's wake I am left with a smart phone and a tower that is rapidly becoming outdated.

Since the last time I got a laptop was a macbook in 2005 I am woefully unaware of current standards outside of what I read. The OP and the posts above seem to contradict eachother but maybe I'm reading wrong. In 2003 when I got my last windows laptop integrated graphics was a very bad word. Have things not changed?

I've read the OP in full, but based on the links and the content I seem to be getting different opinions. On the one hand one of the links says that Intel Integrated HD 4000 can play pretty much any game, though it might require low or medium settings. On the otherhand, I have benchmark websites I've looked at saying that it can be as low as 5fps. I'm not a gaming snob at all, but I would love to play Bioshock Infinite (As well as much lower resource games I already own on steam) on whatever I end up buying, preferably on 'medium' settings.

Beyond that most things would probably fit my needs. Battery life is not a huge concern for me, especially if the battery is removable. Touch seems like a cool thing for a display but I have no idea how much it really matters. SSD sounds like the hugest boon to me and if I could fit that in and it was able to game I would put up with pretty much anything else. I have no problem waiting for Haswell, if only to see reduced prices on the 3rd generation stuff. My plan is october or November purchase, maybe a cyber friday kind of deal. Any thoughts?

Oh yeah, 600 - 700 dollar price tag.

mugrim fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

BEST :10bux: I EVER SPENT

arisu posted:

It's not on the 410p. I just looked under the battery even.

I've read on several forums that people use the Belarc program to get the product key. It's one more annoying step, but now it's safely saved into my gmail account so I can look it up if necessary.

:downswords:

Learned something today!

Dauher
Jul 22, 2007
The man from not near.
Follow up question - doing some reading about Asus laptops and reviews keep mentioning trackpad "issues" which are rather ominous and unexplained, yet consistently seem to appear. They could be old reviews as no professional reviews mention it at all so my theory is its something to do with software thats been resolved... correct? What is the issues with the track pad and have they been resolved?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

mugrim posted:

So I am in the market for a new laptop. My 2005 Macbook pro just died and in it's wake I am left with a smart phone and a tower that is rapidly becoming outdated.
You probably don't want to buy an HD4000 machine with the intention of gaming.

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/100...page=3#comments

$789 for a Lenovo Y510P

Intel Core i7-4700MQ (2.40GHz)
NVIDIA GeForce GT750M GDDR5 2GB
8GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
15.6" FHD LED Glossy Display (1920x1080)
1TB Hard Drive + 24GB SSD
DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)
6 Cell Lithium-Ion Battery
Intel Centrino Wireless N-2230
Bluetooth Version 4.0
Integrated HD Camera
HDMI
Windows 8 64-Bit

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

Bob Morales posted:

$789 for a Lenovo Y510P

Bluetooth Version 4.0
Integrated HD Camera
HDMI
Windows 8 64-Bit

Wow, just as I was all set to go on my T430 order, I have to see this. I guess it's time to decide how much I care about battery life :doh:

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel

Dauher posted:

Follow up question - doing some reading about Asus laptops and reviews keep mentioning trackpad "issues" which are rather ominous and unexplained, yet consistently seem to appear. They could be old reviews as no professional reviews mention it at all so my theory is its something to do with software thats been resolved... correct? What is the issues with the track pad and have they been resolved?

my UX32VD trackpad worked okay, although toggling it on and off sometimes required me to kill the touchpad process and restart it. The laptop itself, however, stopped working after about 4 months.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch

Bob Morales posted:

$789 for a Lenovo Y510P

Bluetooth Version 4.0
Integrated HD Camera
HDMI
Windows 8 64-Bit

Thing is super thin, but heavy as hell according to their specs. Blargh.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Brut posted:

While it is entirely reasonable for you not to want to spend the effort citing this supposed article you're referring to after your initial claim, I am utterly baffled at your willingness to, despite them being disputed, repeat your claims again and again. A google search of "AnandTech" and "6300" finds nothing mentioning range, distance, or any other word I can think of that would describe what you are referring to, there's tons about bandwidth though. A search of the SA forums brings up this post and this post as the only two posts that mention anything related, and those neither have a properly examined explanation nor citations (the term "wizardry" is used).

In short, while I understand that you are not at all obligated to spend your time arguing on the internet, once you choose to do so in a thread that is specifically dedicated to providing helpful, accurate, money-saving and efficiency-boosting advice, we as a community would appreciate if said advice was grounded in reality and when reasonably disputed be backed up with some form of evidence or decent reasoning.

I would also kind of like to see this settled. Their Intel product briefs have this to say about it:

quote:

The Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 offers extended range and robust reliability
(the Advanced 6205) ... combines greater range and more reliability

So the Ultimate is the clear winner in marketing literature. Anything else? It's got three antennas instead of two, that could be useful.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

arisu posted:

I did this last night. Swapped the 1tb hard drive with a Samsung 840 120gb SSD on my y410p.

I just put the SSD in the computer fresh, and booted up a Windows 8 OEM disk I found online and burned with my desktop. Windows took care of writing all those partitions on the SSD automatically, so I didn't use any extra programs.

The Windows 8 Product Key is built into the computer, so I didn't have to re-enter it when installing, but if you're paranoid like I am, you can dig the key out first using Belarc Advisor. I did this before changing hard drives, just in case.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/system-security/fr/belarc-advisor-review.htm

Yeah, I didn't have any luck finding a clean OEM Home disk that looked trustworthy.
I used RWEverything to pull the product key from bios.

DoesNotCompute posted:

Very interested about how this goes for you, my plan was replacing the HDD with an SSD and then plopping the HDD in the DVD bay as storage.

Here's an ideapad question, does anyone know a date when they're going to start selling ultrabay options? Or to anyone that's thrown an ebay disc drive/ssd caddy into the ultrabay slot, how ugly is it without the fitted bezel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKVwymFlQD0
Lenovo bezel swap video.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

shrughes posted:

The first Google search I tried found a relevant AnandTech article. I already told you what should be convincing evidence. If you think I made up the AnandTech article or the other goon measurements, I don't really care to work harder to convince you.

Edit: Also, I am one of those people. I am not here to "win" conversations. Please see forzan's razor.

Wow, to prove that you won the conversation, you quote yourself. That's pretty impressive.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Inspector_71 posted:

Wow, to prove that you won the conversation, you quote yourself. That's pretty impressive.

Hah, I thought he was being douchy but that just takes it to the next level.

fe: Dear god the design on his site. He's probably ullillia's evil twin.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
AnandTech Review

The review is about Apple's Airport Extreme and Time Capsule 4th and 5th generation, but it also includes information on 3x3 versus 2x2. They used a Lenovo with the Centrino N Ultimate and a Mac Book Pro with a different 3x3 MIMO chip versus a Mac Book Pro with only 2x2.

AnandTech Killer-N Review

It is about Bigfoot's Killer N 3x3 MIMO chip but includes Intel's Centrino N Ultimate.

AnandTech Joys of 802.11ac WiFi

It doesn't have the Centrino N Ultimate in it, but it does have 2x2 N, 3x3 N, and 2x2 AC devices in the benchmark. I think.

On another note, are Mythologic laptops any good?

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
If a laptop whitelists only the stock 2x2 Centrino wifi (Y410p), does that rule out usb wifi adapters also?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Meydey posted:

If a laptop whitelists only the stock 2x2 Centrino wifi (Y410p), does that rule out usb wifi adapters also?

No, it's just ones that will be recognized by the internal connector.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Meydey posted:

Paragon Migrate OS to SSD 3.0 ($19.95, $15.96 after 2 minutes of googling)
http://www.paragon-software.com/technologies/components/migrate-OS-to-SSD/

This worked awesome moving the boot drive to the ssd. Took about 15 minutes to move the entire boot partition, and set the ssd as boot with UEFI. One reboot later, was booting off the ssd.
Worth every penny after trying to deal with restore usb drives and whatnot.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

$789 for a Lenovo Y510P

Bluetooth Version 4.0
Integrated HD Camera
HDMI
Windows 8 64-Bit

My budget will be between 600 and 700, do you think that it will drop in price by November?

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Skimmed OP and recent pages and there's no mention of the Lenovo Z585.

Total sleeper of a laptop with the dual graphics.

No love for the A-series with a discrete for hybrid crossfire?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Not that screen resolution, no.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Ranzear posted:

What do you mean by Dual Graphics?

Also, that laptop has one memory slot it looks like. I don't know if things work the same way they did waaaaaaay back when I was able to build my computers, but back then two sticks of the same amount of ram was faster than one stick that was twice as powerful.

I have no idea if that matters now. At the time 64 and 128mb sticks were the standard and I vaguely remember DDR ram working better that way.

I feel really old typing all that out.

Does anyone know a good resource to catch up on the current standards?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Ranzear posted:

No, no love for that. It's a 15" 1366x768, which is beyond terrible, AMD's A-series is constantly trashed by the i3/i5 series, it has just a single RAM slot (seriously?), pretty crappy battery life by current standards, and it's almost 6lbs. Oh, and the 7670M is actually a pretty bad video card these days--it's actually slower than the NVS 5400M in a T430. If you think Crossfire in a laptop with a low-to-mid GPU is a good idea, I can't really help you. (he means "dual graphics" in the sense that the AMD CPU has a 7660G built into it like and i5 has a HDXX00 built into it, and then a discrete 7670M as well)

All in all, in that you can get a much better computer for only another $100-$200 depending on what options you care for, there is zero reason to get that over a T430/530. It's a "sleeper" only in the sense that you'd have to be asleep at the wheel to consider buying it.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 9, 2013

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

DrDork posted:

No, no love for that. It's a 15" 1366x768, which is beyond terrible, AMD's A-series is constantly trashed by the i3/i5 series, it has just a single RAM slot (seriously?), pretty crappy battery life by current standards, and it's almost 6lbs. Oh, and the 7670M is actually a pretty bad video card these days--it's actually slower than the NVS 5400M in a T430. If you think Crossfire in a laptop with a low-to-mid GPU is a good idea, I can't really help you. (he means "dual graphics" in the sense that the AMD CPU has a 7660G built into it like and i5 has a HDXX00 built into it, and then a discrete 7670M as well)

All in all, in that you can get a much better computer for only another $100-$200 depending on what options you care for, there is zero reason to get that over a T430/530. It's a "sleeper" only in the sense that you'd have to be asleep at the wheel to consider buying it.

That's pretty harsh. "For only 100 to 200 dollars you can get something better" is typically the case until you get to top tier. The real measure is "Can I get something better for roughly the same price".

Adding 20% to 40% to the price is pretty substantial.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

mugrim posted:

That's pretty harsh. "For only 100 to 200 dollars you can get something better" is typically the case until you get to top tier. The real measure is "Can I get something better for roughly the same price".

Adding 20% to 40% to the price is pretty substantial.

Would you rather light $600 on fire or spend $800 get a very good laptop with a history of excellent build quality and customer service? Because you're suggesting that lighting money on fire is the better choice.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

InstantInfidel posted:

Would you rather light $600 on fire or spend $800 get a very good laptop with a history of excellent build quality and customer service? Because you're suggesting that lighting money on fire is the better choice.

What about 1000 for a laptop with an even BETTER history of excellent build quality? Or 1200?

I think if you were arguing that a 20 - 50 dollar increase nets you those things it's a bit more of an easy sell, but you are comparing computers from two completely different price ranges and classes. 200 bucks is a lot of cash, and money is expensive.

200 bucks will always improve any decision if you have it to spare. If you don't, you really have to look at things in the same class or range.

I'm not arguing whether or not it is a lovely laptop. I honestly don't know, my last laptop purchase was at the beginning of Bush's second term, and it was a mac. But what else at that price point exists that is superior?

mugrim fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 9, 2013

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

mugrim posted:

200 bucks will always improve any decision if you have it to spare. If you don't, you really have to look at things in the same class or range.
Except the correct answer to "I think I want to buy a $500 laptop" is "No, you don't, you want to save up another month and buy a $700 laptop," because $500 laptops as an almost universal truth are built like poo poo to hit that price point, and are so compromised in one way or another as to make them a fool's purchase. Especially a 15.4" 1366x768 with 1 RAM slot, drat.

Yes, more money almost always means more better, but in the laptop world there's an enormous difference between $500 poo poo-boxes and the $700-$800 level laptops where manufacturers finally have enough room to work to make them items worth owning. Which is why no one here suggests much below that--$700 is really the floor for getting a decent machine, and everything from there on up is incremental improvements to one thing or another.

In short, that laptop still sucks, and no amount of financial wrangling or price:performance argumentation will change it.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

mugrim posted:

What about 1000 for a laptop with an even BETTER history of excellent build quality? Or 1200?

I think if you were arguing that a 20 - 50 dollar increase nets you those things it's a bit more of an easy sell, but you are comparing computers from two completely different price ranges and classes. 200 bucks is a lot of cash, and money is expensive.

I'm not arguing whether or not it is a lovely laptop. I honestly don't know, my last laptop purchase was at the beginning of Bush's second term, and it was a mac. But what else at that price point exists that is superior?

You don't get it. The price:performance curve is not an x=y line, it's much more parabolic than that. Spending $700 instead of $500 on the low end can literally double the amount of laptop (and make it not an econobox shitpile) you get whereas spending an extra $200 on your rMBP gets you an extra 200MHz on your CPU clock that you'll never even use.

ENJOY THE MEATHOSE
Jun 7, 2007

I fear my Toshiba laptop has entered into its death spiral, everything seems to be breaking and failing at the same time (and it's only two years old). So I guess that means I'll soon be in the market for a new laptop!

I read the OP but I couldn't really figure out anything that would be good for my needs. I'm basically looking for a machine that has a pretty good handle on graphics-- i.e. I don't need everything to run at a constant 60 fps, but I'd like to be able to play current-gen games without them looking like a slideshow. A good screen is also really important to me, I do a lot of hobby-level graphics work. Weight and size actually aren't that much of a factor to me, I'm used to hauling around a huge 17" monster. My budget is around $800 or under.

If anyone could help me out I'd appreciate it a ton! I kind of don't know what I'm doing when it comes to computer specs.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ENJOY THE MEATHOSE posted:

I don't need everything to run at a constant 60 fps, but I'd like to be able to play current-gen games without them looking like a slideshow. A good screen is also really important to me, I do a lot of hobby-level graphics work. Weight and size actually aren't that much of a factor to me, I'm used to hauling around a huge 17" monster. My budget is around $800 or under.

i3 T530 with the 1080 screen $857.22 using the link in the OP, play your games at 1366x768

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel

GrizzlyCow posted:

AnandTech Review

The review is about Apple's Airport Extreme and Time Capsule 4th and 5th generation, but it also includes information on 3x3 versus 2x2. They used a Lenovo with the Centrino N Ultimate and a Mac Book Pro with a different 3x3 MIMO chip versus a Mac Book Pro with only 2x2.

AnandTech Killer-N Review

It is about Bigfoot's Killer N 3x3 MIMO chip but includes Intel's Centrino N Ultimate.

AnandTech Joys of 802.11ac WiFi

It doesn't have the Centrino N Ultimate in it, but it does have 2x2 N, 3x3 N, and 2x2 AC devices in the benchmark. I think.

On another note, are Mythologic laptops any good?

The last link was the one that generally came up and measures throughput, not range (even though you might be able to imply the latter by ascertaining the throughput falloff between their two tests.) Given that the tests were not designed for such, I was wary to conclude anything. The airport extreme tests were sort of difficult to translate to real world results since they only show an average 3% dbm improvement in the 3x3 over 2x2 cards - I haven't a clue how a DBm difference translates to connectivity improvements, and the other results don't seem to substantiate that (remember, i'm ignoring throughput.)

The bigfoot review is more interesting. I didn't look through it before since I wouldn't have expected it to contain a generalised 3x3 to 2x2 test (it doesn't really, but it includes a 3x3 card amongst a bunch of 2x2s.) I'm not sure what to make of the results. The Netgear 2.4Ghz test shows a massive advantage for the 3x3 card. The other tests show only a very small improvement over the next best 2x2 card - in particular once you hit 5Ghz it seems less of a difference.

Theoretically, 3x3 should allow for the signal to be increased by around 50% odd using spatial diversity. I'm still on the fence as to whether that's worth giving up a webcam - which I will practically never use but be very annoyed if I am ever in a situation where I need a quick skype and don't have my ipad around. That being said, considering how utterly awful hotel wifi connections usually are, perhaps even a marginal increase on the 2.4Ghz band is worth it. Are there any other more comprehensive 2x2 vs 3x3 range/reliability tests around (I've not been able to find anything specifically targeted at that comparison.)

Does anyone know how the intel cards balance between spatial diversity (mimo signal amplification) and spatial multiplexing (mimo throughput increase)? You can't really have both happening at the same time on a 2x2 (or even 3x3). Does the intel card automatically focus on SM when it's available and the signal to noise ratio is good, switching to SD when the ratio is poor?

Anti-Derivative fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Aug 9, 2013

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

gently caress the Dutch laptop market. Both the XPS 12 and Yoga 13 are going for 1200 euros here, before any discounts which I haven't found. Jesus christ. Almost wondering if it's worth the effort try try and import a laptop. I mean seriously, a 400+ euro markup on lenovo machines? What?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Can someone tell me the best laptop to get under $800? Sorry if this is like the absolute most common thing that gets asked here but I've looked back multiple pages and looked in the OP and didn't find anything to really help.

Basically I went to BestBuy the other day and bought a Asus S300C VivoBook on sort of a whim, and while I really like a lot of things about it I've already noticed in the couple days I've had it that the screen seems to be pretty bad, and I'm feeling a little bit of buyers remorse. I plan on returning it today, and I'd like to pick a new one up at the store at the same time but if that's not possible then so be it.

I don't really have any specific requirements or anything, I just am looking for sub-800 laptop that gets the threads blessing.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What exactly do you want/not want?

$800 isn't a bad price range. You could get a T430S which is a great laptop except the screen sucks. The Y510 is a cheaply-built, bulky machine with a ton of CPU and GPU power. The MacBook Air 13" has a 12 hours battery and amazing keyboard/trackpad, but the screen is falling behind the times (still better than the 430, though) and can be had for $899 with EDU discount right now.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Bob Morales posted:

What exactly do you want/not want?

$800 isn't a bad price range. You could get a T430S which is a great laptop except the screen sucks. The Y510 is a cheaply-built, bulky machine with a ton of CPU and GPU power. The MacBook Air 13" has a 12 hours battery and amazing keyboard/trackpad, but the screen is falling behind the times (still better than the 430, though) and can be had for $899 with EDU discount right now.

Well I really like how light and "sleek" the VivoBook is. I guess I want that and a nice screen. Nothing else really matters. I don't care much if it can play games very well, I'll certainly end up trying a bunch but if it can't play them it isn't a problem, that's what my desktop is for. Nothing bigger than 15.6" (though I suspect that isn't a problem in my price range). Decent battery (~2+ hours on wifi) is highly preferred too.

Sorry if that isn't enough but I'm completely new to laptops, which is I guess why I hosed up my purchase and now have to return it.

e: Oh, and the touchscreen is nice too, but it isn't a dealbreaker by any means.

nerve fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 9, 2013

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
Dell just announced a 14" Haswell Latitude. It's on the expensive side but will have a 1080p screen option. Right now the only CPU options on the My Premier site are the i3-4010U Processor (1.7GHz, 3M cache) and i5-4200U Processor (1.6GHz, 3M cache), but supposedly there will be an option with Intel 5000 graphics as well. Weirdly enough there is no 5GHz Wifi option yet.

Edit: I was wrong, the Intel option is 802.11a/b/g/n 2x2.
A detailed list of specs that will be available is here: http://partnerdirect.dell.com/sites/channel/Documents/Latitude-7000-Series-Technical-Guidebook.pdf
The list of supported CPUs for both 7-series latitudes is:
Intel® Core™ i5-4200U Intel® HD Graphics 4400
Intel® Core™ i3-4010U Intel® HD Graphics 4400
Intel® Core™ i7-4600U (Wave II) Intel® HD Graphics 4400
Intel® Core™ i5-4300U (Wave II) Intel® HD Graphics 4400

Naffer fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 9, 2013

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
Looking for an Ultrabook to replace my old netbook. I tried finding one in the last thread but everyone told me to wait for Haswell to come out.

Here's what I'm looking for numbered by priority where 1 is "GOTTA HAVE IT" and 5 is totally optional.

1. 1080p Video Playback
1. HDMI Out
2. Touchscreen
3. Removeable/flip-able keyboard**
4. Larger than 12" Screen
4. Larger than 1366 x 768 Resolution
5. SSD

**What I had in mind for the keyboard situation would be either a detachable keyboard like the Surface Pro or HP ENVY x2 or like the Yoga 13 where the screen flips around or the keyboard folds back under the screen.

As for price I'm looking for the cheapest one that meets most or all of my requirements.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.
I have a laptop-related dilemma which I hope you guys can help me suss out. I bought my girlfriend an i5 U310 for her birthday when they were on sale for stupid cheap and I really like it. I casually mentioned how much I like it to my mom and stepdad (who works for HP) and they've offered to get me an HP ultrabook for my birthday if anything they make strikes my fancy. Problem is, nothing HP makes fits the bill for my use case as far as I can tell, so it would be like setting money on fire. Do any of you see a laptop they make that fits my requirements as outlined below?

I have an hour-each-way bus commute which would be my primary usage time, so smallness is a requirement. 15.6" display is a no-go.

I'll be carrying it around all the time, so much over 5 lbs. is a dealbreaker as well.

The i5 U310 plays Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite fine on lowest settings so something with comparable or better graphics performance is a must, not being able to play games on it if I wanted to seems like a waste to me, though it won't be my primary use.

Ideally 6+ GB of ram, music production software takes TONS of ram.

I'm getting used to Win8 with a touchscreen and can't really imagine not having one at this point, plus it makes music production tasks MUCH easier.

I saw that the Lenovo U410 Touch which fits the bill wonderfully for my uses (SSD, Nvidia 710M, 8BG ram, i5-3337U, 4.4lbs, touchscreen) is on sale for $749 right now which seems like a much better deal than anything HP has going. Would something like the Split x2 with the i5 and 8gb ram option perform comparably to the i5 U310? I guess I just have no gauge as to what the performance of Intel HD Graphics 4000 is really like.

If you can recommend an HP laptop that fits the bill I'm golden, if not, I'm going to have to look a gift horse in the mouth and try and negotiate on a birthday present which I'd really rather not do as I think it makes me look ungrateful for such a generous offer.

himajinga fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 9, 2013

Flex Mentallo
Mar 14, 2001

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!
(Crossposting from the 3DCG-thread:)

Does anyone know if Autodesk Maya can run properly on integrated Intel HD graphics?
I'm looking to buy a laptop with something like a HD4400, It would only be used as a secondary machine for animating and possibly modeling simple low-poly crap (think Android/IOS).

So it doesn't need to be fast or deal with anything heavy, just need the basics to work (viewports, selection highlighting, co-existing with other accelerated applications, the stuff that usually breaks in Maya when graphics drivers are bad)

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Rhaka posted:

gently caress the Dutch laptop market. Both the XPS 12 and Yoga 13 are going for 1200 euros here, before any discounts which I haven't found. Jesus christ. Almost wondering if it's worth the effort try try and import a laptop. I mean seriously, a 400+ euro markup on lenovo machines? What?

I am actually going to the Netherlands this month (19th) and could bring you a laptop. Though I likely would have a hard time getting it here before the 19th

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

himajinga posted:

I saw that the Lenovo U410 Touch which fits the bill wonderfully for my uses (SSD, Nvidia 710M, 8BG ram, i5-3337U, 4.4lbs, touchscreen) is on sale for $749 right now which seems like a much better deal than anything HP has going. Would something like the Split x2 with the i5 and 8gb ram option perform comparably to the i5 U310? I guess I just have no gauge as to what the performance of Intel HD Graphics 4000 is really like.

If you can recommend an HP laptop that fits the bill I'm golden, if not, I'm going to have to look a gift horse in the mouth and try and negotiate on a birthday present which I'd really rather not do as I think it makes me look ungrateful for such a generous offer.

The new U430 Touch should be released by the end of this month and it'll have a 1600x900 screen by default (1080p option!) as well as the option for 730m graphics which is something like 70-80% more powerful than the 710m and should also stomp any non-Iris Pro integrated graphics.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

Seamonster posted:

The new U430 Touch should be released by the end of this month and it'll have a 1600x900 screen by default (1080p option!) as well as the option for 730m graphics which is something like 70-80% more powerful than the 710m and should also stomp any non-Iris Pro integrated graphics.

So I'm taking this as: "HP has nothing worth while and it's worth being a bit gauche to get a system that actually makes sense for my use case" or am I over-thinking this (as I tend to)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ENJOY THE MEATHOSE
Jun 7, 2007

Hadlock posted:

i3 T530 with the 1080 screen $857.22 using the link in the OP, play your games at 1366x768

Do you have a similar recommendation for a Haswell machine, or is that not likely at that price point?