Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
For a kitbuild that does similar things, check out the Super STOL from Just Aircraft: http://justaircraft.com/page.php?45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ5uudaAPPY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

The Slaughter posted:

Any pilots here that got LASIK? Especially those working commercially?
I'm thinking about it just cause I'm sick of wearing these drat contacts all the time that dry out and they're costing me a shitload (like $1000 a year) I figure I'd break even on LASIK in a relatively short timeframe.
Just worried about any problems flying afterwards, how long I have to stop flying, etc.

I did lasik a year or so before getting a medical, no issues, just had my optomologist do a 8500-7 before heading to the medical. How much astigmatism (if any) do you have? The first day or two after the surgery I had 20/20 vision (had that 15 minutes afterwards when they tested me), but everything looked hazy like looking through glasses with a light coat of vasolean. But at night for a week or two after I had impressive night glare and halos with point sources of light. It was tolerable for driving after a couple days, but night flying is really almost nothing but point sources of light. It kept improving, though to get to normal (vs something I could cope with) took a month or two. I mention astigmatism since I believe that's part of the reason for the halos, so if you have a lot of astigmatism, you'll get worse night issues, without any, should be mild.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Fortunately, night flying is pretty rare for me, and I can easily get 13 days off to recover if I need, although 6 days to recover would be easier to swing if that's do-able.
My right is -3.75 and my left eye is -2, I don't think I have astigmatism although I think a doc maybe mentioned at some point I have some minor astigmatism.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Hey. Figured I might as well post in here. Not a pilot or planning to become one, but my dad is and I work for an aviation company. Wanted to say that this thread has been a real help in understanding some of the terms and technology at work and I'd have been lost without it.

That said, does anyone know when the AOPA's website folks are going to get their rear end in gear and fix the flight school database? It's been down for over a month at this point and it's severely limiting my ability to do my work.

Edit: Congrats!
vvvv

A Shitty Reporter fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 7, 2013

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Aviation Megathread: Rolo is now a CFI!

First attempt baby! So happy...

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Congratulations Rolo!!!

Now give me some tips before my check right next Thursday!!!!!

I completed my three-day accelerated course today and I got signed off by one of Ferret Kings former instructors!

Now to just worry.........

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

KodiakRS posted:

Well I guess the pilot shortage is here. We're already out of FO reserves for tomorrow. To make matters worse we're losing about 30 guys a month and that number is only going to go up as the doors at AAG, UAL, and Delta open up over the next year or so. Of course then there is bullshit like this:

"...And the real issue is it's getting harder and harder to hire regional pilots. Particularly at regional pilot pay scales."

-Scott Kirby at the LCC Q2 earnings presentation, literally days after asking American Eagle to implement a B-Scale.

There wont be any shortage in the EU any time soon that's for sure. Last recruitment draft at my company had 500 applicants for 2 spots. Aer Lingus had over 4000 first officers applying for their 10-20 ish direct entry vacancies.
Aviation sucks.
EU sucks.
So glad I have a job holy poo poo.
People are actually lining up in droves to pay Ryan Air 20k+ Euros for a typerating and a 400 hour/year contract. And I can assure you Ryan Air keeps about half off that. Abysmal working conditions as you are payed by the hour without a minimum and your home base can change on a weeks notice. Oh you just found a decent apartment / second job to pay of your loan? Too bad we kind of need someone extra in shitknowswhere to fly 30h / month.
It's actually getting me mad because sleazy companies like Qatar Airways are launching cadet schemes where the applicant has to cough up near 150k euros and isn't even guarantied to be employed for a full 1500 hours. And they will still find thousands of desperate ab initio pilots that will gladly go in life long debt.

I wish pilots got their respect back over here but everyone knows they are expendable and there's 100 desperate people out there eyeing your spot rigorously.

-edit- So many type-o's when I'm mad.

Mikojan fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Aug 9, 2013

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
A week of firsts for me! Logged my first 7.0 hour day flying from DC (KVKX) to Moline, IL (KMLI) via Zanesville, OH (ZZV) and Kankakee, IL (KIKK) in a Cardinal 177. Later that night my first commercial go around (passenger this time) flying into DCA on the river visual 19. The next day a flight to LAX, my first time to the west coast, to visit distant family. Did some spotting at the In-n-Out, got some good pictures, by chance even saw a United 787! Drive up to SFO, flew back to IAD on a 757. Exciting week.

49.8 XC PIC hours, and 23 instrument now!

E: Forgot to ask, what is the FAA policy on aspirin while flying? My cheap headset gave me the worst loving headache by the end of that day.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
Aspirin is allowed, so long as whatever condition you have isn't contrary to your ability to Fly The Airplane.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I am about to fly from LGA to GSO at 6,000ft MSL... In a CRJ-700... 420nm...

wtf

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Animal posted:

I am about to fly from LGA to GSO at 6,000ft MSL... In a CRJ-700... 420nm...

wtf

Why so low? How much extra fuel is that gonna burn? Positioning or revenue?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Hey, just think of this as extra pay (if you're paid by the hour) for a flight with a better view.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

Rickety Cricket posted:

Why so low? How much extra fuel is that gonna burn? Positioning or revenue?

One of the engines is MEL'd perhaps

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

That got exciting quickly... A passenger went ragdoll and eyes rolled into her skull... Medical emergency, had to speed up to 330kts at 6,000msl and held that till 10 miles out, fun approach and landing. Pax is ok now. Altitude was due to congestion going out of NYC its the only way they can let flights out. Apparently its the new fad, they have been doing it all week.

This is my fourth medical emergency in a year, including one incapacitated flight attendant.

Animal fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 9, 2013

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
The answer to NYC congestion is 6000 ft? ... Well okay. I wonder what passengers thought.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Apparently.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL4949/history/20130809/1825Z/KLGA/KGSO

Look at the flightlog and guess when the emergency was reported

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Pretty normal for LGA and JFK actually: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwLTOYKOVFU

Our dispatchers have been known to throw a few thousands LBS of dispatch add on the fuel slip in case it happens.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Animal posted:

Apparently.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL4949/history/20130809/1825Z/KLGA/KGSO

Look at the flightlog and guess when the emergency was reported

345 at 6000ft? Is that accurate?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

345 at 6000ft? Is that accurate?

Yes. 330 indicated.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Animal posted:

Yes. 330 indicated.

Duh of course the track wouldn't be KIAS.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
How'd you get out of the 250kt limit under 10k ft? Operational necessity? That'd be my claim.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

The Ferret King posted:

How'd you get out of the 250kt limit under 10k ft? Operational necessity? That'd be my claim.

Animal posted:

That got exciting quickly... A passenger went ragdoll and eyes rolled into her skull... Medical emergency, had to speed up to 330kts at 6,000msl and held that till 10 miles out

91.3 (b) n an in-flight emergency requiring immediate action, the pilot in command may deviate from any rule of this part to the extent required to meet that emergency.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Rickety Cricket posted:

A week of firsts for me! Logged my first 7.0 hour day flying from DC (KVKX) to Moline, IL (KMLI) via Zanesville, OH (ZZV) and Kankakee, IL (KIKK) in a Cardinal 177.

Wow, ZZV is my hometown. How'd you like the fancy FBO that's always vacant because nobody flies there? :hfive:

Also, August 9th (yesterday) was the 8th anniversary of my first solo and the 7th anniversary of passing my Private checkride.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

KodiakRS posted:

91.3 (b) n an in-flight emergency requiring immediate action, the pilot in command may deviate from any rule of this part to the extent required to meet that emergency.

Doh. Short term memory.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

CBJSprague24 posted:

Wow, ZZV is my hometown. How'd you like the fancy FBO that's always vacant because nobody flies there? :hfive:

That FBO was beautiful... and empty. Haha. The ramp was pretty empty, other than us the only thing I saw was a Citation V. Great people and great facility though!

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Rickety Cricket posted:

Later that night my first commercial go around (passenger this time) flying into DCA on the river visual 19.

My favorite approach.

Animal posted:

That got exciting quickly... A passenger went ragdoll and eyes rolled into her skull... Medical emergency, had to speed up to 330kts at 6,000msl and held that till 10 miles out, fun approach and landing. Pax is ok now. Altitude was due to congestion going out of NYC its the only way they can let flights out. Apparently its the new fad, they have been doing it all week.

Exciting!

copperblue
May 21, 2003
This summer I'll be racking up 30 hrs (at least) with an instructor to get the complex and HP endorsements; Otherwise it'll be a royal pain to fly into Steamboat this winter. Lots of mtn flying, flight following, and an IFR familiarization flight maybe? Cant spin a 182 or I'd do a couple hours of that.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
You very much CAN spin a 182, you just shouldn't do so since it's placarded against it. And the owner would probably disapprove. (yes, i am nitpicking your language)

ProFootballGuy
Nov 6, 2012

by angerbot
Newbie student here. After 4 lessons and ~3.5 hours, today was the first time I actually felt pretty comfortable and confident flying the plane without being too overwhelmed. Things slowed down in my brain quite a bit for how everything works together and I had a lot of fun flying.

We went back to slow flight and MCA and I felt myself "flying" the plane during the maneuvers rather than chasing the instruments, overthinking, etc. Did very well at it and I'm looking forward to getting more practice.

I am pretty sure I also landed the plane, since we were doing the same slow flight all the way down through final and my CFI never explicitly took over controls. In any case I pretty much thumped the plane down. My CFI was telling me to nose up right at the end, and I tried, but it was too late and we plopped onto the runway. A far cry from my CFI's greasers. No harm no foul for my first quasi-landing, though!

ProFootballGuy
Nov 6, 2012

by angerbot
Another lesson down, this time with stalls! Stall practice was pretty fun, though I think I had more fun getting into slow-flight in prep for the stalls since I've actually become pretty proficient* (*as proficient as a sub-10 hour student can be) with slow flight.

We did both power-on and power-off stalls, and after getting the hang of them after 2-3 reps I started to have fun practicing them. Still need to work on internalizing the procedures for both (moreso for power-off stalls with carb heat/power/flaps/etc), but I felt pretty confident after doing the reps and look forward to doing more of them!

My CFI warned me about getting bored doing any one maneuver for a long period of time, but I'm not even close to that point and just love being at the controls and flying a motherfucking airplane! Ha!

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

If you get to do spins, you're gonna poo poo your pants with delight based on how much fun you seem to think regular stalls are.

ProFootballGuy
Nov 6, 2012

by angerbot

DNova posted:

If you get to do spins, you're gonna poo poo your pants with delight based on how much fun you seem to think regular stalls are.
Excellent! I'm sure I'm still in the phase of not knowing what I don't know, but stall training is great and I'd love to get more in-depth with spins and other bad situations. Assuming the pants-making GBS threads is fun and not of the "holy gently caress we're going to die" variety.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Depends on what kind of a person you are.

ProFootballGuy
Nov 6, 2012

by angerbot

DNova posted:

Depends on what kind of a person you are.
True. So far, fear hasn't entered my mind when flying. I've been a lifelong aviation nut and only now at age 29 do I have the money to pursue becoming a pilot. I love taking everything in, learning how to react to situations, and executing.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

The Slaughter posted:

One of the engines is MEL'd perhaps

Wait could someone expand on this? MEL is minimum equipment list, right? Why would an MEL engine cause them to cruise at 6,000?

(In my private pilot mind I read that as one engine is inop but it's okay by MEL to fly so they decided to go at 6,000 ft on one engine, which doesn't make any sense to me)

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
Might've been discussed in the last thread, but what's the consensus on tablets? Is everyone leaning towards the ipad/ipad mini or is there some Android use as well? I like the aspect ratio on a lot of the 7" android tablets but overall there just seems to be a lot more available for the ipad...

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I use my iPad Mini in the plane and I love it. Get Foreflight and the iPad with the data plan chip. Whether you activate it or not it can use the chip to track yourself on sectionals and approach plates.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

Rolo posted:

I use my iPad Mini in the plane and I love it. Get Foreflight and the iPad with the data plan chip. Whether you activate it or not it can use the chip to track yourself on sectionals and approach plates.

So, as long as you buy a data ready ipad, you don't necessarily need to activate a data plan? This is something I've been wondering about a lot because I don't want to pay for a data plan that I would only be using in the plane... but I'd really really like to buy a tablet and be able to use one of these fancy navigation apps.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Rickety Cricket posted:

Wait could someone expand on this? MEL is minimum equipment list, right? Why would an MEL engine cause them to cruise at 6,000?

(In my private pilot mind I read that as one engine is inop but it's okay by MEL to fly so they decided to go at 6,000 ft on one engine, which doesn't make any sense to me)

First of all he was kidding.

Second, in 121 an MEL list is pretty much all inclusive. (Just about) everything on the plane is on the list. When something is broken, the MEL provides direction on how it is to be defered, how it should be placarded, and what procedures must be done/changed.

So, lets take a Wing Tip Nav Light. We'd call Mx (maintenance) and they'd reference an MEL number that we can use to defer it.

The MEL says

quote:

"2 installed, one required". Place placard adjacent nav light switch, no procedure.

Now lets say both are burned out.

quote:

"2 installed, zero required". Place placard adjacent nav light switch, procedure "no night time ops".
They will also specify how long an operator (airline) has to correct the problem. Could be aircraft cycles, upon return to a Mx base, or days (1-90 days).

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Knockknees posted:

So, as long as you buy a data ready ipad, you don't necessarily need to activate a data plan? This is something I've been wondering about a lot because I don't want to pay for a data plan that I would only be using in the plane... but I'd really really like to buy a tablet and be able to use one of these fancy navigation apps.

Correct, you'll still have the built in GPS. HOWEVER, I use the ipad mini wifi and an external Dual GPS. The price of the Dual is cheaper than paying the ~150$ more for the Cell version of the ipad, and it (external gps) will get better location data. The only downside is it's another thing to charge and keep track of, but I absolutely love it.

• Locked thread